Whether you’re in Zimbabwe or traveling abroad, you’ll often encounter websites that are unavailable in your location. Luckily it’s easy to get around this problem using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). In connecting to a VPN server, your internet traffic is also encrypted. This secures it from hackers and snoopers and lets you browse anonymously.
In some countries, some online content may even be blocked due to government censorship. While Zimbabwe has improved in this respect, there are still problems to be addressed; the country blocked social media sites due to mass protests as recently as January 2019.
If you find content to be unavailable due to geo-blocking or censorship, you can usually still access it using a VPN. You’re also assigned a temporary IP address that makes it look as though you’re browsing from a different location. As a result, you can access geo-blocked content both from Zimbabwe and abroad.
Don’t have time to read all the VPN reviews provided? Here’s a quick rundown of the best VPNs for Zimbabwe so you can reach a decision even more quickly:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Zimbabwe. Fast speeds, unlimited bandwidth, 5,500 servers. Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. Has a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Unlimited devices per account. High-speed connections. Double VPN servers. 24/7 support and a strict no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: 3,000+ servers in 94 countries. Excellent apps and 24/7 support. Secures data with high-end encryption. No identifying logs.
- CyberGhost: Roughly 7,000 servers in 90 countries. Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming. Use on seven devices at once. No-logs policy and 24/7 support.
- IPVanish: Unlimited simultaneous connections. Good speeds and works with Netflix US. Strong security for use in Zimbabwe thanks to encryption and a zero-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Fast speeds and strong privacy credentials. Easy-to-use desktop and mobile apps and live chat support. No-logs policy for anonymous browsing in Zimbabwe.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 80 countries for bypassing censorship. Works with Amazon Prime and Hulu. Includes 24/7 support and doesn’t keep identifying logs.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Zimbabwe with no restrictions for a month - perfect if you’re traveling to Zimbabwe for just a few weeks.
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
So what makes these the best VPNs for Zimbabwe? After all, there are hundreds (and possibly even thousands) of VPNs on the market today. In order to narrow down the options, we looked for those VPNs that met all of the following criteria:
- Network of servers covering dozens of countries
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for streaming
- Keeps your data secure with a high level of encryption
- Strict no-logs policy that protects your privacy
- Lets you connect multiple devices simultaneously
- Money-back guarantee for you to try it risk-free
Best VPNs for Zimbabwe
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Zimbabwe:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for use in Zimbabwe. It offers the best balance of servers, speed, and security. You’ll have access to approximately 5,500 servers in nearly 60 countries. Further, with fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth, it’s possible to stream and torrent as much as you like. Indeed, NordVPN works well with many restricted websites and services including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and various social networks such as Twitter.
With a NordVPN subscription, you have access to 24/7 support via live chat and email. You can also connect up to six of your devices at once. Specialty servers such as Double VPN servers are available. In 2019 and 2020, NordVPN introduced various new security features which include a password manager and its own WireGuard-based protocol, NordLynx. This VPN operates a strict no-logs policy and uses 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection.
Connect to NordVPN in Zimbabwe via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. However, use with wireless routers requires manual installation.
- Network of 5,500 servers across nearly 60 countries
- Fast speeds combined with unlimited bandwidth
- Securely access streaming services and social media in Zimbabwe
- Provides users with 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Specialty Double VPN servers for an extra layer of security
- Operates a no-logs policy so your privacy is protected
- Suffered a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR ZIMBABWE:NordVPN is our top recommendation for use in Zimbabwe. 5,500 servers and fast speeds with unlimited bandwidth. Works with Netflix, Twitter, and more. No-logs service with P2P and Double VPN servers. 24/7 support. Try it risk-free thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our best value choice. It offers plenty of options with some 3,000 servers available in 65 countries. All of its servers are P2P-friendly plus you can expect high-speed connections and a total lack of bandwidth throttling. With this VPN, you can stream the likes of Netflix US in Zimbabwe. To date, we’ve been able to securely access over 30 Netflix libraries with Surfshark. Better still, you’ll be able to use it to connect an unlimited number of your devices simultaneously.
The Surfshark apps are beginner-friendly and include access to 24/7 live chat and email support should you need it. You’ll find MultiHop (Double VPN) servers that encrypt your data twice for even greater online security. A strict no-logs service, Surfshark offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. This VPN has even had its browser extensions independently audited recently to show just how secure they are.
Once signed up, you can get Surfshark by downloading an app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, or Amazon Fire TV. If you prefer, you can use a browser extension for Chrome or Firefox. Manual setup is necessary in order to use this VPN with a compatible router.
- Growing network of servers (3,000+ in 65 countries)
- Works with over 30 Netflix libraries
- Double VPN servers for extra security while in Zimbabwe
- Live chat and email support available 24 hours a day
- Connect an unlimited number of devices per account
- A couple of features cost extra per month
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark lets you connect all of your devices simultaneously. Great for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and YouTube. Double VPN servers offer an extra layer of security. Includes a strict no-logs policy and 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN excels at helping you access government-censored content. That’s because it has an impressive 3,000 servers in 94 countries. With 160 VPN server locations in total, it’s well placed to help you stream Netflix safely or access Facebook, for example. However, one of ExpressVPN’s standout features is its very fast speeds (and unlimited bandwidth) which let you stream lag and buffering-free both in Zimbabwe and abroad.
When it comes to security, ExpressVPN ticks all the boxes. It includes 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch and protection from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. Operating out of the British Virgin Islands, it isn’t subject to mandatory data retention laws. In fact, it doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users. Note that with ExpressVPN, you’ll have access to live chat and email support, 24/7. It’s also one of the easiest VPNs to use with routers, particularly thanks to the new auto-update feature on the router app.
Secure your browsing in Zimbabwe with ExpressVPN’s Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux apps. You can also use Chrome and Firefox browser extensions or the custom firmware available for routers.
- Servers in more countries than most VPNs (3,000 in 94 countries)
- Fastest speeds we’ve tested and includes unlimited bandwidth
- Stream Netflix and Amazon Prime Video from Zimbabwe
- Beginner-friendly apps as well as 24/7 support
- Anonymous browsing thanks to high-end encryption
- Slightly more expensive than most of its rivals
HIGH-SPEED CONNECTIONS:ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN we’ve tested. Over 3,000 servers across 94 countries. Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming in Zimbabwe and abroad. Offers 24/7 support and secures data with encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has one of the largest server networks around. It consists of some 7,000 servers located across 91 countries. This includes servers in the US and UK for streaming Netflix and BBC iPlayer. The high-speed connections combined with unlimited bandwidth means performance issues are unlikely, even when streaming in 4K. Furthermore, you can use CyberGhost to connect seven devices at the same time.
This VPN has a strict no-logs policy, ensuring your privacy is protected at all times. Security is further reinforced with 256-bit AES encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Should you have any questions, 24/7 support is offered via live chat and email. CyberGhost has also recently introduced a Security Suite for Windows which includes an antivirus for blocking malware, spyware, adware, and ransomware.
CyberGhost’s apps are available for the following: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. You can also find browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. This VPN can also be manually configured to work with compatible routers.
- Approximately 7,000 servers in 90 countries worldwide
- Unlimited bandwidth means you can stream lag and buffer-free
- Secure up to seven devices while in Zimbabwe or abroad
- Operates a strict no-logs policy so you can stay anonymous
- Live chat and email support are accessible 24/7
- Doesn’t work well in China
LARGEST SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has 7,000 servers in 90+ countries for effortless browsing in Zimbabwe. High-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth. No-logs VPN allows up to seven simultaneous connections. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a popular choice for sharing with family as it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Overall, it offers an estimated 1,600 servers in 75 locations. With a particularly strong presence in the US, you’ll be able to stream Netflix US in Zimbabwe with ease. IPVanish provides good, consistent speeds for streaming and torrenting and also offers unlimited bandwidth.
When you connect to an IPVanish server, all of your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption, securing it from hackers and snoopers. Aside from DNS leak protection, there’s a kill switch which, should the VPN connection drop, cuts your internet traffic and prevents data exposure. Note that IPVanish also has a zero-logs policy so only you know what you’re doing online. Live chat and email support is accessible 24 hours a day. Note that the latest IPVanish plans include the option of encrypted cloud storage.
Secure all of your devices at once with the IPVanish apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. You’ll need to configure this VPN manually in order to use it with Linux or your home wifi router.
- Lets you connect as many devices as you want simultaneously
- Good speeds for streaming and torrenting from Zimbabwe
- Security includes encryption as well as a zero-logs policy
- 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Headquartered in the US which is a Five Eyes member
- Response time from email support is on the slow side
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish is great for sharing with family – connect an unlimited number of devices at once. Good speeds for streaming and torrenting. Keeps you safe online with encryption and a zero-logs policy. 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is well worth your consideration if you’re planning on streaming or torrenting with your VPN. The reason for this is that it is one of the faster VPNs around, offering consistent connections and unlimited bandwidth. PrivateVPN also happens to offer a newly-expanded network, and the ability to securely access streaming platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO. You’ll be able to use this VPN on up to six of your devices at the same time.
This is a beginner-friendly VPN service that includes live chat and email support. Replies to our emails are far faster than most VPNs we’ve tested. Free remote help and installation is available should you need it. In terms of security, this is one of the safest VPNs you can use. It offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. There’s also a strict no-logs policy and the option to sign up anonymously by paying in Bitcoin.
To use PrivateVPN, simply download one of the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or Linux. You can also use this VPN with your router. PrivateVPN provides manual setup instructions to do this.
- Very fast speeds and doesn’t throttle your bandwidth
- Works with Netflix, Facebook, and more in Zimbabwe
- Strict no-logs policy lets you keep your identity intact
- Free remote help and installation should you need it
- Smaller network of servers
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
IDEAL FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN combines fast speeds with strong security. Works with Netflix, Disney+, Facebook, and more. Easy-to-use apps as well as live chat and email support. Protects your privacy with a strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has around 1,800 servers in 80 countries, allowing you to access a wide range of geo-blocked content from Zimbabwe. In particular, it works well with the likes of Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. You’ll also be able to bypass censorship and use social media including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Our average global download speed in testing was 63 Mbps. This, combined with a lack of any bandwidth limit, makes for stress-free streaming.
This VPN provider doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user. It further safeguards your privacy by using 256-bit AES encryption and offering DNS leak protection and a kill switch. Also included is automatic wifi protection, allowing you to browse safely on public wifi in Zimbabwe. You can use the Hotspot Shield apps on five devices simultaneously and, should you need any assistance, live chat and email support are offered around the clock.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. A Chrome browser extension is also included. A more recent update means that Hotspot Shield is now compatible with select routers (manual configuration required).
- Bypass censorship in Zimbabwe and access Facebook, Twitter, etc
- Over 1,800 servers available in 80 countries worldwide
- Live chat and email support available 24/7
- Doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified
- Doesn’t yet offer a browser extension for Firefox
- No option to pay anonymously (such as with Bitcoin)
SERVERS IN 80 COUNTRIES:Hotspot Shield has servers in 80 countries so you can easily bypass content restrictions in Zimbabwe or while traveling abroad. Doesn’t throttle your bandwidth or keep identifying logs. 24/7 live chat and email support. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Finding the best VPNs for Zimbabwe: our methodology
Browsing from Zimbabwe comes with its challenges. Aside from the fact that many websites and services from other countries are geo-restricted, there’s the fact that the government has blocked social media in the past. There are also concerns regarding online surveillance and the lack of privacy afforded to citizens as a result. We take all of this into account when choosing the best VPNs for Zimbabwe.
- Speed: One of the most important factors to take into account when using a VPN is its speed. That’s because many people want not only to browse but to stream and torrent. We test VPN speeds to find the fastest VPNs, all of which include unlimited bandwidth so you don’t face any restrictions.
- Network size: Any good VPN will offer servers in dozens of countries. This allows you to change your IP address and securely access a wide range of geo-blocked websites (including popular streaming services!). Furthermore, the more servers in a particular location, the faster the speeds you can generally expect.
- Servers near Zimbabwe: The closer a server is to your physical location, the faster the connection is likely to be. While very few VPNs offer servers in Zimbabwe, those listed above provide servers elsewhere in Africa. By connecting to these servers, you can stream and torrent with greater ease.
- Security: Security can become an issue regardless of your location. This is particularly the case when using public wifi hotspots where data is more vulnerable to being intercepted by hackers and snoopers. The best VPNs for Zimbabwe use encryption and offer DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
- Privacy: ISPs in Zimbabwe are required to provide the government with user data. This makes browsing anonymously all the more challenging. Fortunately, using a VPN means even your ISP can’t see what you’re doing online. We’ve assessed each VPN’s logging policy to find those that best protect you.
- Ease of use: While it’s great to have all of the above features, this is little good if the VPN is too complicated to use. That’s why we look for those that provide user-friendly apps and browser extensions. It also helps if they offer live chat and email support, particularly if this is available to you 24 hours a day.
- Value for money: You can find VPNs at all price points. However, a more expensive VPN is not a guarantee of higher quality. That’s why it’s important for us to find VPNs that offer all of the above while still being affordable. In fact, our VPN discount coupons allow you to save even more!
While we look for all of the above in the VPNs we recommend, this is still just a small part of our VPN testing methodology. By rigorously testing each and every area of a VPN for ourselves, we’re then able to provide you with the most accurate, up-to-date information. With any luck, this should make your decision a little easier!
How to use a VPN in Zimbabwe
Ready to use a VPN in Zimbabwe? You can be signed up and connected to a server in minutes. In fact, we’ve provided step-by-step instructions to save you some time.
Here’s how you can use a VPN in Zimbabwe:
- Sign up with one of the best VPNs for Zimbabwe. As you can see, we particularly recommend NordVPN for use in Zimbabwe.
- The next step is to download and install the appropriate VPN app (or browser extension) for your browsing device.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in your preferred location. The closer the server to Zimbabwe, the faster your connection is likely to be.
- You can now browse securely and anonymously. You should also be able to access geo-blocked websites and services.
- It may be that you have to clear your cookies for changes to take effect. If you have any trouble, it’s worth contacting your VPN’s support for further assistance.
Best VPNs for Zimbabwe: FAQs
Why do I need a VPN in Zimbabwe?
The Freedom on the Net 2020 report by Freedom House concludes that internet use in Zimbabwe is only “partly free”. However, the 46/100 score was an improvement on the previous year when the government blocked social media in response to mass protests (January 2019). This included the likes of Facebook, Twitter, and WhatsApp. Using a VPN ensures you can bypass such censorship should it occur again in future.
Internet users in Zimbabwe can be penalized for online activities. This is typically for critical online commentary (such as undermining the country’s president) or online activism. There is some concern in the country regarding online surveillance by the state, particularly of opposition party leaders. Furthermore, ISPs in Zimbabwe are legally required to provide user information to the government. A VPN encrypts your data so you can stay anonymous.
Can I use a free VPN in Zimbabwe?
While it’s possible to use a free VPN in Zimbabwe, it’s largely a waste of time. Free VPNs pose a number of problems. For starters, they typically offer servers in fewer countries, limiting the content you can actually access. Indeed, free VPNs struggle with the likes of Netflix because the limited number of IP addresses are quickly blacklisted. With so many users on each server, speeds are slow, resulting in lag and buffering while streaming.
With some of the concerns regarding limited freedom of expression as well as potential online surveillance in Zimbabwe, free VPNs are particularly risky. Many lack the kind of security features you need to stay hidden online (such as high-end encryption or a kill switch. Furthermore, some free VPNs log and sell your data to third parties. The best VPNs for Zimbabwe operate strict no-logs policies so your privacy is protected at all times.
Are VPNs legal in Zimbabwe?
Fortunately, there are very few countries in which the use of VPNs is actually illegal. Better still, it’s legal to use VPNs in Zimbabwe. Of course, some online activities (such as torrenting copyrighted material) remain illegal, whether a VPN is being used or not.