If you’re traveling abroad, you’ll no longer be able to access certain content, be it a TV channel or news site. However, by using a VPN, you can get a Costa Rican IP address, spoofing your location, and bypassing this kind of geographic restriction. In other words, VPNs can make it look as if you’re browsing from Costa Rica even if you’re on the other side of the world. Today, we’ll explain exactly how you can get an IP address for Costa Rica.
When you connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) server, your internet traffic is routed through an encrypted tunnel, securing your data and protecting your privacy. You’ll also be provided with a new, temporary IP address. Since this is what most geo-blocked services use to determine your location, once you connect, they’ll think that you’re really in Costa Rica.
Don’t have time to read the full post? Here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs for getting a Costa Rica IP address.
- NordVPN: The best VPN for a Costa Rica IP address. Over 5,000 servers. Works with Costa Rica TV as well as Netflix. No-logs service with Double VPN servers and 24/7 support via live chat.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Costa Rica.
- Surfshark: Best budget option. Reliable servers in Costa Rica. Works with Canal 7 and Netflix. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Offers 24/7 support. Secure with a strict no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: Fast speeds and works with Canal 13 and Netflix. Excellent apps and 24/7 support. Secure with high-end encryption.
- IPVanish: Fast, reliable servers in Costa Rica. Lets you connect as many devices as you want at once. Security includes encryption and zero-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Works with Canal 13, Canal 7, and Netflix. Easy-to-use apps and fast speeds for lag-free streaming. Protects your privacy with its use of encryption.
- Hotspot Shield: Over 3,000 servers in 80 countries including Costa Rica. Reliable speeds and 24/7 live chat support. Lets you secure up to five devices at once.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for a Costa Rican IP address with no restrictions for a month—great if you are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for getting an IP address for Costa Rica
There’s an overwhelming number of VPN services on the market. To find the best VPNs for getting an IP address for Costa Rica, we looked for those that offer the following:
- Fast and reliable servers in Costa Rica
- Strong security with high-end encryption
- Doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users
- User-friendly desktop and mobile apps
- 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Allows multiple simultaneous connections
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for getting a Costa Rica IP address:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our number one VPN for a Costa Rica IP. It has multiple servers in Costa Rica and more than 5,000 in total worldwide. If you’re sick and tired of bandwidth throttling, this VPN might just be for you. It offers unlimited bandwidth as well as strong unblocking ability, working with Costa Rican TV channels including Canal 13 and Canal 7. However, it also works particularly well with US-based streaming services.
With NordVPN, you can browse with peace of mind thanks to its excellent array of security features. It operates a strict no-logs policy and uses 256-bit AES encryption to keep your internet traffic secure. Aside from DNS and IPv6 leak protection and kill switch, there’s a variety of servers to choose from. This includes Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers which provide you with an extra layer of encryption. 24/7 live chat support is also offered.
If you’d like to connect to a NordVPN server, simply download an app for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, or Android TV. Alternatively, there are Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Manual configuration is required in the case of routers.
- Multiple servers in Costa Rica and more than 5,000 worldwide
- Unlimited bandwidth so you can stream lag and buffer-free
- Works with Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and more
- Very strong security includes Double VPN servers
- Knowledgeable 24/7 support via live chat and email
- A 30-day money-back guarantee
- Some servers can be a bit slow
BEST VPN FOR A COSTA RICA IP ADDRESS:NordVPN has servers in Costa Rica and over 5,000 globally. Offers unlimited bandwidth and works with Costa Rica TV channels and Netflix. Strong security with a strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is the best budget option for a Costa Rican IP address. It offers a growing network of over 3,000 servers in more than 60 countries around the world. It has virtual servers in Costa Rica, which means that the servers are physically located elsewhere (although most users won’t notice a difference). This VPN offers good, consistent speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth. You’ll be able to stream Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more without restriction. Better still, Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
While Surfshark’s apps and browser extensions make connecting to a server very simple, you still have 24/7 support via live chat if you need any help. Another advantage of this VPN is that it’s highly secure. For example, you have the option of connecting to Surfshark’s MultiHop (Double VPN) servers for an extra layer of security. A strict no-logs policy and 256-bit AES encryption serve to protect your privacy while there’s also a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
Get an IP address for Costa Rica via Surfshark’s apps for the following platforms: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. You can also download browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox although use with routers requires manual setup.
- Growing network of servers in over 60 countries, Costa Rica included
- Lets you connect as many devices as you want at the same time
- Works with Netflix, HBO, and others
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- Packed with security features including Double VPN servers
- Customer support could be better
BEST BUDGET CHOICE:Surfshark can access geo-restricted content both in Costa Rica and abroad. Works well with Netflix. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections and has 24/7 support. Strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is great at accessing geo-blocked websites and services in Costa Rica and abroad. One reason for this is that it has a huge network consisting of 3,000+ servers across 94 countries. Needless to say, the quantity and quality of servers makes ExpressVPN ideal for streaming. In fact, you can use it to access Costa Rica TV such as Canal 13 as well as major international services like Netflix.
This service includes 24/7 live chat and email support just in case you have any questions. With a single ExpressVPN account, it’s possible to secure five devices at once. You’ll be able to browse the web anonymously thanks to the various security features in place. For example, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and Web RTC leak protection. Furthermore, ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users.
With ExpressVPN, you have access to beginner-friendly apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. You’ll also find browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. This VPN is easy to use with routers thanks to the custom router firmware on offer.
- Very fast and reliable servers in Costa Rica
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries for unblocking content worldwide
- Works with Costa Rica TV channels as well as Netflix
- High level of security with encryption and kill switch
- Includes 24/7 support via live chat and email
- One of the more expensive VPNs available
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
INCREDIBLE SPEEDS:Express VPN is one of the fastest VPNs. ExpressVPN offers servers in 94 countries, Costa Rica included. Access Canal 13 and Netflix. Live chat support available 24/7. Secure with encryption.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is one of the fastest VPNs on the market, offering high-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth. What’s more, it has a network of more than 7,000 servers in 90 countries, a dozen of which are physically located in Costa Rica. Needless to say, this makes CyberGhost a good choice for unblocking websites and services worldwide. It’s also highly suitable for streaming and works well with Netflix US and Costa Rica TV channels.
If you sign up with CyberGhost, you’ll be able to secure as many as seven devices at once. You’ll also have access to 24/7 support via live chat. As well as offering impressive server speeds, this VPN has plenty of strong security options. You can expect 256-bit AES encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS leak protection. Also included is a strict no-logs policy and CyberGhost’s “NoSpy” servers which are independently operated to reduce the risk of third-party interference.
CyberGhost offers apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS). Apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV are also available, as are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is necessary for use with routers.
- High-speed connections for streaming in high quality
- A dozen servers in Costa Rica and over 7,000 globally
- Consistently unblocks geo-restricted content from Costa Rica
- Use it to secure as many as seven devices at once
- Protects your privacy with encryption and strict no-logs policy
- Doesn’t work reliably in China or the UAE
- No aps for routers
LAG-FREE STREAMING:CyberGhost offers high-speed servers for streaming without lag or buffering. One dozen servers in Costa Rica and 7,000 worldwide. Very strong security with a strict no-logs policy. 24/7 support. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has fast servers and consistent connections with servers in dozens of countries worldwide. Its servers in San Jose, Costa Rica allow you to get an IP address from Costa Rica and unblock geo-restricted content in seconds. In particular, you will be able to watch Canal 13 and Extra TV 42. With unlimited bandwidth, you can stream in 1080p HD without interruption.
One major advantage of IPVanish over most other VPNs is that it lets you connect as many devices as you want simultaneously. Each device you secure will have excellent protection including 256-bit AES encryption, protection from DNS leaks, and a kill switch. IPVanish is headquartered in the US which is a member of the Five Eyes intelligence alliance. However, the VPN service states that it has a zero-logs policy. 24/7 live chat support is also available.
In order to connect to an IPVanish server, you’ll need to download an app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire TV. It’s possible to use IPVanish with Linux and routers but this requires manual installation.
- Fast servers in Costa Rica for browsing and streaming
- Lets you secure an unlimited number of devices at once
- Includes 24/7 live chat support
- Zero-logs policy means your data stays private
- Headquartered in the US which is a Five Eyes member
- Doesn’t offer browser extensions
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish offers good speeds and servers in dozens of countries including Costa Rica. Plus IPVanish lets you connect as many devices as you want at once. Keeps your data secure with a zero-logs policy and encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
PrivateVPN is a smaller service consisting of 200+ servers. However, it has a global network of servers covering 60 countries, Costa Rica included. The main reason to consider this VPN is its very fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth. These features mean that you won’t encounter much in the way of lag or buffering. It also works well with the likes of Canal 7 as well as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and HBO.
Unlike the majority of VPNs today, PrivateVPN lets you speak to the developers directly. Customer support is available 22 hours per day via live chat. There’s even the offer of free remote help if you’re having any trouble. You’re shielded from hackers and snoopers with PrivateVPN’s 256-bit AES encryption, kill switch and DNS leak protection. Its zero data logging policy means all of your personal information remains private.
Access region-locked content by connecting to PrivateVPN apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. Manual setup instructions are available for use with compatible routers.
- Very fast servers for streaming Costa Rica TV abroad
- Woe the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Secure thanks to its use of high-end encryption
- Small network of servers
- Live chat is not 24/7
FAST SERVER SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is known for fast speeds and strong unblocking ability. Servers in Costa Rica unblock Canal 13 and Canal 7. Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps. Uses encryption to secure internet traffic. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield makes it easy to get a Costa Rica IP address. You have the choice of over 5,000 servers in 80 countries, allowing you to access geo-blocked content globally. Consistent connections and reliable unblocking make Hotspot Shield a safe choice for streaming. This may be a Costa Rica TV channel such as Extra TV 42 or even a US streaming service like Amazon Prime Video or Hulu.
Connecting to a Hotspot Shield server means you’re protected with its various security features. For starters, 256-bit AES encryption secures your data while a kill switch cuts your internet traffic should the VPN connection drop. Also included is DNS leak protection while Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep logs by which you can be personally identified. A single subscription means you can connect five devices at once. Should you need it, 24/7 support is available to you via live chat.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS while there’s also a browser extension for Chrome. You can use Hotspot Shield with Linux and select routers although manual setup is required.
- Over 5,000 servers in 80 countries including Costa Rica
- Unblock Costa Rica TV such as Canal 13 and Extra TV 42
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat
- Secures internet traffic with high-end encryption
- Struggles with Netflix
- Some past privacy concerns
- Not reliable in China
24/7 SUPPORT:Hotspot Shield has a large server network. Reliable servers in Costa Rica. Works well with the likes of Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. Includes 24/7 support via live chat and offers security with 256-bit AES encryption. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
How to get an IP address for Costa Rica using a VPN
There are a few steps you’ll need to follow in order to get a Costa Rica IP address. However, the full process shouldn’t take more than a few minutes of your time.
Here’s how to get a Costa Rica IP address from anywhere:
- The first thing you’ll need to do is sign up with a VPN provider. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Next, download and install whichever app or browser extension you’d prefer to use.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to a server in Costa Rica. This is how you get an IP address for Costa Rica so you can unblock geo-restricted content.
- Now you can navigate to a Costa Rican website or service. The content should now be available without restriction.
- If content is still blocked, we recommend you clear your browser’s cookies before reloading the page. Otherwise, try contacting your VPN’s customer support team.
Related: The Best VPNs for Costa Rica
Getting a Costa Rica IP address: FAQs
Why might I need an IP address for Costa Rica?
There are a number of reasons why you might use a VPN to get an IP address for Costa Rica. In particular, you may be traveling abroad and wanting to access region-locked content. This might be a TV platform or streaming service whose content is subject to copyright and licensing restrictions. It may even be your online bank which, in an attempt to prevent fraud, could lock you out of your account for logging in from abroad.
However, if you’re in Costa Rica, you may simply want to change your Costa Rica IP address. The advantage of this is that you can still access content from home while enjoying the added benefit of online anonymity. After all, your IP address is tied to your identity and physical location. By changing it, you can enjoy improved privacy. Fortunately, Costa Rica has unrestricted internet access while citizens enjoy a high level of freedom as a whole.
Can I use a free VPN to get a Costa Rica IP address?
There are some free VPNs that offer servers in Costa Rica but these are few and far between. Indeed, most free VPNs have only a small number of servers with too many users on each. The result is slow browsing speeds and streaming that’s interrupted by amounts of lag and buffering. You may also struggle to access region-blocked websites and services due to free VPN’s inferior unblocking ability.
It’s also important to mention that free VPNs don’t offer the same sort of privacy protection. Some don’t offer even the most essential security features such as AES encryption. While a paid VPN makes money from its subscription plans, free VPNs need to find other ways of generating income. Unfortunately for you, this often means logging your personal data such as your browsing history. We recommend opting for a low-cost reputable VPN service over a risky free VPN.
Can I watch Costa Rica TV abroad with a VPN?
Yes, you can stream Costa Rica TV abroad with the help of a VPN. All you need to do is connect to a server in Costa Rica for a Costa Rica IP address and you’re all set! The VPNs recommended above unblock TV channels including Canal 13, Canal 7, and Extra TV 42. This means that you can watch shows such Buen Día, Quién quiere ser millonario?, and Supermodel Centroamérica.
Is it illegal to change your IP address?
Not at all! There are very few countries in which VPNs are illegal and it’s therefore perfectly legal to change your IP address. Many people have valid reasons for doing so. This may so you can access online content from home while traveling abroad or to browse anonymously without your online activity being tied to your actual IP address and location.
Note: Comparitech does not provide legal advice, and any illegal online activity is still illegal even while using a VPN. Always check local laws before heading online.