The trouble with traveling abroad is that some of your favorite websites and services aren’t available elsewhere. This includes Venmo, which is restricted to the US. As such, you’re likely to encounter errors when trying to use Venmo abroad, regardless of whether it’s via a web browser or the Venmo app. In order to be able to securely access your Venmo account while traveling, you’re going to need to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN takes all of the internet traffic traveling to and from your device and encrypts it. This not only keeps you safe from online snoopers and hackers but changes your IP address to a location of your choice – in this case, the US. This means Venmo will think you’re still located in the US and allow you access to the service.
This article will take you through a step-by-step guide to how to use Venmo from abroad using a VPN. We’ll also list the best VPNs for the job and answer some common VPN questions.
How to use Venmo from abroad with a VPN
The best VPNs for using Venmo abroad are quick and easy to use. In fact, setup shouldn’t take more than a minute or two! Simply follow the step-by-step instructions below, and you’ll be all set.
Here’s how to use Venmo from abroad using a VPN:
- The first step is to choose a VPN that offers servers in the US and works with Venmo. We recommend NordVPN.
- Once signed up, you’ll be able to download and install the VPN app that’s compatible with your browsing device.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to a server located in the US. You’ll be assigned a US IP address, which is what will allow you to securely access Venmo from anywhere.
- Go to Venmo (via web or app) and sign in. You should now be able to use it as normal without encountering any errors.
- Doesn’t work? Venmo can be tricky. Be sure to clear your browser’s cookies first, and if that doesn’t work, try connecting to another server. Alternatively, contact your VPN’s customer support, who may be able to provide further guidance.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF NORDVPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Venmo with no restrictions for a month - ideal if you’re traveling outside the US for a few weeks.
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
We’ll go into detail about each of the providers below, but in case you don’t have time to read the full reviews, here’s a quick summary to save you some time.
Best VPNs for Venmo:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Venmo. Approximately 2,000 US servers. Fast speeds and reliable connections. Strong security with a strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Venmo.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN for Venmo. Connect all of your devices at once. Fastest speeds for streaming. Double VPN servers for extra security. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries, the US included. Fast loading of Venmo as well as Netflix. Beginner-friendly apps and 24/7 support. Uses high-end encryption.
- CyberGhost: 9,000 servers globally (1,400+ in the US for securely accessing Venmo). No bandwidth throttling, and can be used on 7 devices at once. Strict no-logs policy for secure access to Venmo.
- IPVanish: Unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Plenty of US servers for using Venmo and Netflix safely. Security includes encryption and a kill switch.
- PrivateVPN: Fast server speeds and strong privacy credentials. Securely access Venmo thanks to encryption. Operates a strict no-logs policy. Fast and friendly support.
- AtlasVPN: Robust encryption and security features, 24/7 support, and servers in 40+ countries, including plenty in the US, perfect for Venmo.
Best VPNs for Venmo: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Venmo.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Venmo:||1||2||3||4||5||6||US Servers||16 cities / 5800+ servers||25 cities / 600+ servers||15 cities||11 cities / 966 servers||20 cities / 1106 servers||12 cities||Avg Speed (US)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||50 Mbps||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 69% + 3 months FREE
Save 82% + Get 4 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months free
SAVE 74% on the 2 yr plan
Save 85% on a one year plan + 24-months free
Best VPNs to use Venmo from abroad
So how are you supposed to go about choosing a VPN? After all, there are so many on the market! We have narrowed the options down to just seven by looking for those that offer the following features:
- Servers in the US that work with Venmo
- Fast, unthrottled connections for streaming
- Secures your data with high-end encryption
- No-logs policy that protects your privacy
- Live chat and email support around the clock
- Allows at least five simultaneous connections
You can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs we recommend in our methodology section below. For now, let’s take a look at the ones that made the cut.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Venmo:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our #1 pick for using Venmo from abroad. With nearly 2,000 servers in the US, it makes it easy to securely access Venmo and indeed many US-based websites and services. This includes streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+. With the introduction of NordLynx, an adaptation of WireGuard, you can expect faster speeds than ever. In fact, we had an average download speed of 115 Mbps in testing.
If you’re using a digital wallet, you’ll likely want a high level of security. NordVPN provides this in the form of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. However, it goes one step further with its specialty Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers which provide an extra layer of encryption. More recently, this no-logs service has also added NordPass, its own password manager. Need help? 24/7 live chat and email support are available.
Connect up to six devices simultaneously via NordVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. You’ll also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV, as well as browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is necessary to use this VPN with routers.
- Approximately 2,000 US servers for accessing Venmo from abroad
- Works with many popular streaming services, including Netflix
- Fast connections and unlimited bandwidth for streaming lag-free
- Specialty servers, including P2P and Double VPN
- Live chat and email support 24 hours a day
- Strong privacy protection with a strict no-logs policy
- Occasional slow server
BEST VPN FOR VENMO:NordVPN is our top choice. Almost 2,000 US servers for securely accessing Venmo. Very fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth. Highly secure thanks to a no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 24/7 support. You can try it risk-free thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget option that works reliably with Venmo. It also works with over 30 Netflix libraries. This is in part thanks to its growing network of over 3,200 servers. You can find them in 100+ countries, including the US. Notably, its US servers are spread across dozens of cities. With Surfshark, you’ll have quick access to Venmo because it’s the fastest VPN on this list, averaging 207 Mbps in our tests. This makes it an excellent choice for streaming.
One standout feature of Surfshark is that it allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Note that there’s also live chat and email support, which you can contact 24 hours a day. Aside from its speed, Surfshark provides a high level of security, allowing you to send and receive money safely. This includes 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Your privacy is further protected by a strict no-logs policy.
You’ll find Surfshark apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox. To use Surfshark with your wireless router, you’ll need to configure this manually.
- Works with Venmo as well as over 30 Netflix libraries
- A large network with US servers in two dozen cities
- Fastest speeds of any VPN tested — perfect for streaming
- MultiHop (Double VPN) servers for an extra layer of encryption
- Comprehensive security includes encryption and a no-logs policy
- Can be slow to connect to servers
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark lets you connect unlimited devices simultaneously. Fast, reliable, 24/7 live chat and email support and offers Double VPN servers for improved security. Strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is well-placed to securely access your favorite services because of its 3,000+ servers in 94 countries. Of course, this includes servers in multiple US cities, including Los Angeles and New York. With its high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth, it’s also a good option for streaming and torrenting. Average global download speeds of 135 Mbps mean little to no lag or buffering while watching Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
Want to be able to browse with your identity intact? ExpressVPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, which doesn’t have any mandatory data retention laws. Besides, this VPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified. All of your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. Further security features include DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. Although easy to use, ExpressVPN provides 24/7 live chat and email support.
ExpressVPN lets you secure up to five devices at once and provides apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. If you prefer, you can use a browser extension for Chrome or Firefox. There’s even newly-updated custom firmware for routers.
- Access content globally thanks to its network covering 94 countries
- High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth
- Reliable option for use with Netflix
- Fast and friendly 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Uses high-end encryption to secure your internet traffic
- One of the more expensive VPNs on the market
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
SUPER RELIABLE:ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Very fast and consistent speeds. Works with Venmo, Netflix, and more. Secures data with encryption and doesn’t keep identifying logs. Includes 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more servers than any other VPN in this post, with over 9,000 in 90+ countries. When it comes to its US servers for regaining access to Venmo while abroad, there are over 1,400 available. Notably, this VPN doesn’t engage in bandwidth throttling, so you can stream and torrent as much as you like. Speaking of torrenting, CyberGhost’s servers are P2P-friendly. Once signed up, you’ll be able to secure up to seven devices simultaneously.
If you have any trouble with setup or while using CyberGhost, know that live chat and email support is available around the clock. You can use Venmo safely from anywhere, thanks to CyberGhost’s use of 256-bit AES encryption. It also provides an automatic kill switch as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection. A no-logs service, CyberGhost has more recently introduced its own password manager and a Windows Security Suite, which includes an antivirus.
CyberGhost’s apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. You also have the option of browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. You can use this VPN with select routers, but manual setup is needed.
- 9,000+ servers in 90 countries (1,400+ in the US)
- Fast server speeds combined with no bandwidth throttling
- Can be used on up to seven devices at once
- Includes 24/7 support via live chat as well as email
- Offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
- More suited to beginners than advanced users
HUGE NETWORK:CyberGhost has 9,000+ servers worldwide for securely accessing a wide range of platforms including Venmo. Can be used on seven devices at the same time. Strict no-logs service with 24/7 support. Password manager in beta. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has expanded its network to offer more than 2,000 servers, some 1,100 of which are located in the US. In fact, you’ll find these servers in almost two dozen US cities. As such, it’s easy to find a server closer to your physical location for faster speeds. Unlimited bandwidth is also provided so you can browse, stream, and torrent unrestricted. Aside from Venmo, IPVanish works well with Netflix US, which you can stream free from lag and buffering.
Using IPVanish means you’re protected from hackers and snoopers. There’s 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Unlike most VPNs which only allow a handful of simultaneous connections, IPVanish lets users secure an unlimited number of devices at the same time. It has a zero-logs policy, and if you need any assistance, you can always contact the 24/7 live chat and email support.
With IPVanish, you’ll find apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). There’s also an app for Amazon Fire TV. However, you’ll need to follow the manual setup instructions provided by IPVanish to use it with Linux or your wifi router.
- Connect all of your devices via a single account
- Works with Venmo as well as streaming services like Netflix US
- Good, consistent speeds for streaming and torrenting
- Stay anonymous thanks to encryption and a no-logs policy
- Headquartered in the US (a member of Five Eyes)
- No anonymous payment options, such as cryptocurrency
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish is great for sharing with family as it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Good speeds and unthrottled bandwidth. Works with Venmo and Netflix US. Zero-logs policy and uses high-end encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is one of the most consistent ways to access Venmo securely. In fact, it even works with popular streaming services, including Netflix, Disney+, and HBO. Better still, it provides fast server speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth, allowing for streaming that’s free from interruptions. This VPN service has a small network of only around 200 servers, but you’ll find them in more than 60 countries around the world, including plenty in the US.
With its strict no-logs policy, PrivateVPN ensures your online privacy is very much protected. This VPN also allows you to pay anonymously in Bitcoin. The security features offered include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Apps are particularly beginner-friendly, with simple and advanced menus available. Also included is live chat and email support, the latter of which is faster than that of most VPNs we’ve tested.
You can use Venmo from anywhere once connected to a PrivateVPN app. These are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. It’s also compatible with Linux and routers with manual configuration.
- Fast speeds for uninterrupted browsing and streaming
- Consistently access Venmo, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more
- No-logs policy – even PrivateVPN doesn’t know what you do online
- Smaller network of just 200 servers in total
- Live chat support isn’t available 24 hours a day
SEAMLESS STREAMING:PrivateVPN works with Venmo and popular streaming services including Netflix. High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth. User-friendly apps and a no-logs policy to protect your privacy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is among the best VPNs for Venmo due to its impenetrable encryption that uses the same 256-bit standard as the military. It’s also hot on other security features, offering split tunneling to divert your VPN traffic to a separate tunnel from your regular internet activities. It includes a breach monitor to alert you if any of your information has been compromised, as well as a malware blocker and ad blocker.
AtlasVPN doesn’t collect logs and is based in Panama, outside any surveillance activities that could request records from VPN providers. AtlasVPN unblocks some of the most popular streaming providers, including Netflix and Prime Video. It has apps for desktop and mobile, and device connections are unlimited.
All plans include round-the-clock support, in addition to a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very easy to use
- Prioritizes user security
- No logs or connection limit
- Relatively small network
- Needs to be easier to cancel
UNLIMITED DEVICES:AtlasVPN uses 256-bit encryption to provide a secure connection to PayPal. It has built-in malware blocking and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Venmo
While there are more than just seven VPNs that work well with Venmo, many fail in other areas, be it due to slow speeds or poor privacy protection. Below, we explain our methodology for finding the best VPNs for using Venmo from abroad:
- Servers in the US: If you want to be able to securely use Venmo from abroad, you’ll need a VPN that provides servers in the US — the only country in which Venmo is available. In some cases, we found VPNs with servers in as many as two dozen US cities. This means you can get a US IP address closer to your location for a better connection.
- Speed: There’s little more frustrating than slow-loading web pages. With high-speed connections and absolutely no bandwidth throttling, you can access Venmo quickly and easily. The fast speeds are also particularly useful if you plan on using your VPN for streaming and torrenting. Fortunately, we’ve found the fastest VPNs for this.
- Network size: While it’s a great starting point for a VPN to have servers in the US, its network should span dozens of countries. Whether you’re at home or traveling abroad, you may find that you need to access content from other countries, such as Canada or the UK. All of the VPNs in this post have servers in dozens of countries.
- Security: There’s more than one reason to use a VPN to access Venmo. Aside from the geographic restrictions you’ll face if you travel outside the US, it’s important to ensure your data’s security from hackers. VPNs encrypt your data, so it becomes almost impossible to compromise — particularly important if you’re using public wifi.
- Privacy: Don’t want your ISP to know what you’re doing online? Protect your privacy by using a VPN that provides a strict no-logs policy. Be careful though — many VPNs claim to offer no-logs policies but don’t. To help you avoid these pitfalls, we’ve looked at some 140 VPN logging policies. Some of these VPNs also let you pay in Bitcoin.
- Ease of use: The beginner-friendly apps of the VPNs listed let you connect to a server in the US and use Venmo in seconds. It shouldn’t be more complicated than that! Even if you do happen to encounter any difficulties, 24/7 live chat and email support will be available to help you through them.
- Value for money: Some VPNs don’t offer the above and are still priced higher than those you’ll find here. A VPN should be affordable and provide flexibility with a variety of subscription options, both short and long-term. What’s more, by using the VPN discount coupons we’ve provided, you’ll pay even less.
Our VPN testing methodology dictates that we gain extensive hands-on experience with each VPN for ourselves. By testing each and every area of a VPN service, we can provide you with the most comprehensive, accurate, and up-to-date reviews around.
Can I use a free VPN to access Venmo from abroad?
You may struggle to find a free VPN that allows you to use Venmo while traveling outside the US. Generally speaking, free VPNs are unreliable and particularly struggle to securely access streaming services such as Netflix. What’s more, you’ll notice significantly slower speeds — often due to bandwidth throttling. You may also feel limited by the small server network of the average free VPN, many of which only offer servers in a handful of countries.
Venmo is a digital wallet and payment service, which means it contains sensitive financial data which should be kept safe. Some VPNs fail to properly encrypt your internet traffic, while others lack key security features such as a kill switch. In fact, it’s not unusual for free VPNs to keep logs of your data. If you want your online activity and financial transactions to stay private, your best bet is to use the best VPNs for Venmo listed.