If you’re an AT&T customer, you may find you are suffering from bandwidth throttling. This means that your provider is limiting your internet speed, making streaming and torrenting particularly challenging. However, you can get around such restrictions by using one of the best VPNs for AT&T, allowing you unlimited bandwidth while keeping your data secure.
Not only will a VPN help you avoid bandwidth throttling it will keep your internet activity private from your internet provider and other snooping eyes.
When using a VPN, your device’s traffic is sent through an encrypted tunnel to a VPN server of your choosing. For example, if you choose a server in the US, you’ll obtain a US IP address. This lets you browse the web as if located in the US, allowing you to access region-locked content on platforms such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
Before we explore all of the options in depth, here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs you can use with AT&T:
Best VPNs for AT&T
- ExpressVPN: VPN offering high speeds and strong security. 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Unblock Netflix and Skype. Secures your data with encryption. 24/7 live chat support.
- NordVPN: Network of over 5,000 servers. Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer. 24/7 support and useful browser extensions. Strict no-logs policy to protect your privacy.
- CyberGhost: High-speed VPN with a strict no-logs policy. Lets you connect up to 7 devices. Plenty of servers in the US and UK. 24/7 support and easy-to-use apps.
- IPVanish: Unblocks Netflix US. Good speeds for streaming and up to 10 simultaneous connections. Secure with encryption and a no-logs policy. 24/7 support.
- PrivateVPN: Very fast servers in 60 countries worldwide. Lets you unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Go. No-logs VPN with beginner-friendly apps.
- Surfshark: Unlimited simultaneous connections and excellent 24/7 live chat support. Unblocks Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Easy-to-use and has a no-logs policy.
So how did we manage to come up with this list of the best VPNs for AT&T? We looked for VPNs that were able to provide all of the following:
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Works with major streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc)
- Servers in dozens of countries worldwide including the USA
- High level of security with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Customer support available via live chat and email
- Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile
- A money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free
The Best VPNs for AT&T
Here’s our list of the best VPNs we could find for AT&T that enable fast, private browsing:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is your best bet if you want a VPN for AT&T. It offers unlimited bandwidth and an unbeatable combination of speed and security. This VPN has a network of more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, allowing you to unblock region-locked content almost anywhere. ExpressVPN unblocks many websites and services including Netflix, Skype, and BBC iPlayer.
You can use ExpressVPN on a wide range of devices thanks to the various apps and browser extensions available. Connecting to a server only takes a few seconds which makes this VPN very easy to use. That said, ExpressVPN’s 24/7 customer support is available via live chat and email. This VPN can be used on up to 5 devices simultaneously, allowing you to secure everything from your laptop to your phone.
ExpressVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection as well as a kill switch to keep you safe. This service is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and you can even sign up semi-anonymously with a throwaway email address.
ExpressVPN apps can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and routers. You can also find browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
- Fast servers and unlimited bandwidth for streaming
- Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries for unblocking geo-locked content
- Unblock popular sites and services including Netflix and Skype
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- Connect up to 5 devices simultaneously via one account
- High level of security with encryption and
- Slightly more expensive than most VPNs on the market
BEST VPN FOR AT&T:ExpressVPN is our #1 choice for AT&T. More than 3,000 high-speed servers in 94 countries. User-friendly apps and browser extensions. Unblocks Netflix. 24/7 live chat support. Strong security and privacy. A 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try ExpressVPN risk-free.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has a huge network of over 5,000 servers around the world, 1,600 of which are in the US. It unblocks many region-restricted services including Netflix and BBC iPlayer. There’s no bandwidth throttling which means you can stream content without buffering or lag. You’ll even find servers that are optimized for P2P file-sharing as well as those that offer extra security (double VPN servers, for instance).
This is a great value VPN as evidenced by the fact that NordVPN lets you have up to 6 simultaneous connections. It also offers 24/7 live chat support and user-friendly apps and browser extensions. This Panama-based VPN provider safeguards your online security with 256-bit AES encryption and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. It offers a kill switch as well as a strict no-logs policy, ensuring your personal information stays private.
You can download NordVPN apps for the following platforms: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Compatible routers require manual setup.
- An impressive network of more than 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- Very good at unblocking region-blocked content such as Netflix
- Connect up to 6 devices via a single account
- Provides customer support 24/7 via email and live chat
- Operates a strict no-logs policy to protect the privacy of users
- Some servers can be on the slow side
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN offers more than 5,000 servers and works with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Optimized servers for improved privacy. Up to 6 simultaneous connections. Offers 24/7 live chat support and a strict no-logs policy. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers fast servers and unlimited bandwidth. This is one of the fastest growing VPNs on the market with a network of over 4,500 servers at the time of writing. In particular, it has a significant presence in the US and UK, where it has approximately 1,000 and 500 servers respectively. This VPN unblocks Netflix US as well as BBC iPlayer. You can even connect up to 7 devices simultaneously.
This service comes with 24/7 live chat support and excellent apps for various platforms. You are protected from AT&T’s logging of personal information thanks to CyberGhost’s use of 256-bit AES encryption. This is a no-logs VPN that allows you to stay anonymous online. Further security features include protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks, an automatic kill switch, and even an ad blocker.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire Stick/Fire TV. You can also download browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual installation is necessary for Linux and routers.
- Very fast servers for streaming and torrenting around the world
- Rapidly growing server network, particularly in the US
- Unblocks the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Lets you connect up to 7 devices
- Secures your data with encryption as well as a strict no-logs policy
- Unable to unblock some popular streaming sites
HIGHLY SECURE VPN:CyberGhost protects your privacy through encryption and a strict no-logs policy. Thousands of fast servers for streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. Use on up to 7 devices simultaneously. User-friendly apps. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 7 DAYS
IPVanish is headquartered in the US. Indeed, nearly 700 of its 1,300 servers are in North America. As such, this VPN service is well placed for unblocking Netflix US. IPVanish states that it doesn’t limit the amount of data you can transfer, or throttle your network connection. Better still, it lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously, allowing you to share this VPN with family.
Connecting to an IPVanish server is quick and easy, plus there’s an option to connect to the best available server automatically. This VPN offers live chat support just in case you have any trouble. You can browse the web with peace of mind as IPVanish doesn’t keep any traffic logs. What’s more, it offers 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Furthermore, IPVanish owns its servers, rather than renting them from third parties, meaning your privacy is guaranteed.
IPVanish offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick. Manual configuration is needed for Linux and routers.
- Good speeds and no network throttling (ideal for streaming)
- Connect up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Offers live chat support, 24/7
- Apps make it quick and easy to find the perfect server
- Owns rather than rents its servers and has a no-logs policy
- Doesn’t offer an option to pay in Bitcoin
- Apps can be a little slow to load
USE ON 10 DEVICES:IPVanish lets you have up to 10 simultaneous connections. Works with Netflix US and offers live chat support. Good speeds for streaming with unlimited bandwidth. Strong security offering with encryption and a no-logs policy. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a good option for using with AT&T thanks to its unlimited bandwidth and speed. This VPN is ideal for streaming and torrenting and is able to unblock all sorts of websites and services including Netflix. While it has a smaller server network, it does offer very fast servers in 60 countries including the US. The service offers live chat support through which you can speak to PrivateVPN’s developers directly and obtain remote assistance.
You can use this VPN to protect up to 6 devices simultaneously. If you don’t have experience with VPNs, you’ll likely appreciate the simplicity of PrivateVPN’s apps, especially since they make finding and connecting to a server so quick and easy. PrivateVPN is based in Sweden and doesn’t keep any traffic logs. It further protects your privacy with a combination of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch.
You can use PrivateVPN through the apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). Linux and routers require you to follow manual setup instructions.
- Unlimited speed and bandwidth for streaming and torrenting
- Unblocks most popular streaming sites including Netflix and HBO Go
- Excellent live chat support with remote help and installation
- Lets you have up to 6 simultaneous connections
- Only has around 100 servers
- Doesn’t offer browser extensions
SUPER FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN has fast servers for streaming and torrenting. Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and more. Very easy to use desktop and mobile apps. Offers live chat support. No-logs VPN with a high level of encryption. Use on up to 6 devices. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a relative newcomer that has quickly grown to become one of the better VPNs for AT&T. In particular, it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously which means you can share with family. This VPN’s servers are located in dozens of countries worldwide, including the US and Canada. Speeds are good for anything from browsing to streaming. You’ll be able to use Surfshark to unblock most geo-blocked websites and services including Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
One of the best things about Surfshark is its beginner-friendly apps and very convenient browser extensions. This combined with the 24/7 live chat customer support makes it an excellent choice if it’s the first time you’re using a VPN. Security is offered in the form of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. Surfshark is based in the British Virgin Islands and has a strict no-logs policy, stating that even it doesn’t know what you’re doing online.
Surfshark apps are offered for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick. You can also download Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Linux and routers require manual configuration.
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Unblock Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and more
- Beginner-friendly apps for connecting to servers in seconds
- Excellent customer support which is available 24/7 via live chat
- Relatively limited server network (approximately 800 servers)
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:Surfshark lets you have unlimited simultaneous connections. Works with most region-blocked content including Netflix. Strict no-logs policy and 24/7 live chat support. Easy-to-use apps and browser extensions for beginners. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
How to use a VPN with AT&T
It’s quick and easy to set up a VPN with AT&T. Here’s what you need to do:
Using a VPN with AT&T
- Sign up with one of the best VPNs for AT&T – we particularly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install one of the VPN’s apps or browser extensions.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in the country from which you wish to browse.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This ensures websites and services forget your IP address and location and accept that of the VPN.
- You can now browse freely without restriction!
Can I use a free VPN with AT&T?
While there’s little stopping you from using a free VPN with AT&T, we don’t recommend it. Free VPNs are simply a waste of time due to their poor performance and security. A VPN for AT&T should offer unlimited bandwidth so you can browse, stream, and torrent without restriction. However, free VPNs often throttle bandwidth because they don’t have enough servers to cope with demand.
You’ll also find that free VPNs are poor when it comes to unblocking geo-restricted platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Skype. However, the most serious issue with free VPNs is the fundamental lack of security offered. Many free VPNs don’t encrypt your data while others log your data and sell the information to third parties. This means that there’s little advantage to using a free VPN with AT&T.
Why do I need a VPN for AT&T?
The US has seen a decline in net neutrality in recent years. Internet Providers such as AT&T can block content when it suits them. What’s more, AT&T is known to throttle the bandwidth of its users. This means you may experience slow speeds when trying to access certain services, be it Netflix or Skype. The best VPNs for AT&T offer unlimited bandwidth with absolutely no bandwidth throttling.
Another reason to get a VPN for AT&T is to have greater online privacy and anonymity. This is particularly important if you’re in the US which is a member of the Five Eyes intelligence alliance. Without a VPN, your data may be logged and shared with your government as well as international governments. A quality VPN encrypts your data and offers a strict no-logs policy which means that there’s no personally identifying data to be shared even if it’s requested.