Regardless of whether or not you celebrate Valentine’s Day, we’re pretty sure you still have a favorite rom-com that you love to curl up on the sofa and watch.
So, with love in the air, we thought we’d investigate which rom-com is most popular in which state. To do this, we looked at which movies were the hottest topic on Google Trends over the past five years.
According to our findings, the most popular rom-com across the US is Crazy Rich Asians. From 2018, this movie follows New Yorker Rachel as she goes to meet her boyfriend’s family in Singapore only to find out they’re one of the country’s richest families.
However, if that doesn’t tickle your romantic taste buds, we have a whole list of rom-coms that might be for you this Valentine’s Day.
As well as Crazy Rich Asians, a couple of other movies were a top pick across the US. These were:
- 10 Things I Hate About You – Based on the classic Shakespeare play, The Taming of the Shrew, this movie stars Julia Stiles as Kat and the late Heath Ledger as Patrick. Kat’s younger sister, Bianca, isn’t allowed to date until Kat does, so Patrick’s paid to try and charm Kat so another high-school boy, Cameron, can start dating Bianca. Naturally, things don’t go to plan.
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days – Benjamin (Matthew McConaughey) takes on a bet that he can make a woman fall in love with him in just 10 days. His target, Andie (Kate Hudson), has her own agenda, however, as she’s writing an article on how to lose a guy in 10 days.
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before – When all of the love letters Leah has written are sent to each of her former crushes, it wreaks havoc on her life as she has to confront each one of them.
Some states can’t get enough of the classics
Most of the most popular rom-coms are recent, but a handful of older classics have made it to the top.
- The Princess Bride (1987) – The Princess Bride isn’t just the oldest movie to make our list but it’s also the highest rated on IMDb with an overall score of 8/10. A young boy’s grandfather reads him a fairy-tale story in which a farmer boy becomes a pirate in his quest to be reunited with his one true love, facing a whole host of enemies and hurdles along the way. Most popular in Alaska, Maine, and North Carolina.
- When Harry Met Sally (1989) – Another 80’s classic, When Harry Met Sally isn’t just known for its iconic “I’ll have what she’s having” scene, but for its exploration of love and friendship. A top pick in Ohio.
- Pretty Woman (1990) – It’s no surprise that this rom-com classic once again features as one of the top-rated movies. If you haven’t seen this movie, you’re probably making a “Big mistake. Huge!” The rom-com of choice for Louisianans and Minnesotans.
One thing’s for sure, there are enough rom-coms here to keep you busy way beyond Valentine’s Day…
Which is your favorite and why? Comment below!
Using Google Trends to search for the genre “romantic comedy” in each state, we looked to see which movie was a rising topic in the related topics section over the past five years. Rising topics are the top related search terms users looking at rom-coms also searched for over the past year and saw the biggest influx in searches during that period. The top result for each state was the designated movie for that state. In some cases, no movie was available. In these cases, we searched all of the top results for the other states to see which came out on top in that particular state during the same period.