There are a number of reasons why you might be considering a VPN for ChatGPT. The OpenAI offering has gained both fame and notoriety around the globe. Countries like China, Russia, and Egypt are actively blocking the service. This is for a mix of reasons, including the amount of data the service collects, as well as the wider implications of the impact of AI on society. Schools are also actively blocking the service, concerned about the impact it could have on education.
If ChatGPT is blocked where you are, we explain how you can unblock access using a VPN. With an encrypted VPN connection, you will be able to use ChatGPT from anywhere without local wifi admins, ISPs, or governments snooping on you. But, be aware that OpenAI actively blocks VPNs from accessing ChatGPT, so you need to pick carefully.
If you’re in a hurry, you can take a quick look at a list of the best VPNs for ChatGPT that I’ve had success with below. Or, keep scrolling for summaries about each VPN, and for details on how to use a VPN to access ChatGPT.
The best VPNs for ChatGPT list
- NordVPN: Best VPN for ChatGPT. Has servers in 59+ countries that work with ChatGPT, Playground, and other OpenAI resources. Highly secure and versatile. Fast for streaming and works with Netflix.
- Surfshark: Best cheap VPN for ChatGPT. Can be used on an unlimited number of devices. Works to access ChatGPT anywhere. Easy to use and reliable.
- ExpressVPN: A VPN to unblock ChatGPT in any region. Perfect for unblocking region-locked or censored content, including ChatGPT. Works in China. Fast speeds, no logging policy, and strong security.
- CyberGhost: Best ChatGPT VPN for beginners. CyberGhost is easy to use and works to unblock ChatGPT from anywhere. Servers in 89+ countries, and works for streaming.
- IPVanish: A fast and secure ChatGPT VPN. IPVanish offers strong encryption and fast servers. Great for streaming, gaming, torrenting, and using ChatGPT.
- Atlas VPN: A newer VPN proving to be extremely popular. Fast WireGuard protocol makes it good for streaming. Servers in 40+ countries that work to unblock ChatGPT.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR CHAT GPT RISK FREE?
How I picked the VPN recommendations for ChatGPT
When finding VPN recommendations for this list, the primary barrier to entry was that it worked with ChatGPT. Beyond that, we looked for:
- An expansive and robust server network
- Fast speeds
- Strong security, including features
- Affordable pricing
If you would like to know more, we cover our testing methodology in more detail later in this guide.
Best ChatGPT VPNs that work: In-depth review
To find the best VPNs that work with ChatGPT, we tested the market using a clearly defined set of tests. You can read more about our testing methodology further in this article.
For now, here’s our list of the best VPNs for ChatGPT:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is the best option for accessing ChatGPT for a number of reasons. We tested the VPN thoroughly and found it to have fast servers in over 59 countries, this includes servers in the EU and the West and East coasts of America that work to log in and use ChatGPT in Italy, China, Russia, or elsewhere.
NordVPN has a reliable no-logging policy, which means that it never retains any records of what users do while connected. It runs its entire network on diskless servers, so all the data passing through those servers is wiped instantly when you pull the plug: perfect in an emergency. Impressively, the VPN has also had a full third-party audit of its apps, infrastructure, and policies, which means that you never have to take its claims on faith alone!
NordVPN has custom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Firestick. You can also set it up manually on Linux and VPN-compatible routers. This will allow you to use ChatGPT on smartphones, tablets, and desktop or laptop computers.
The AES encryption provided in the OpenVPN tunnel to NordVPN’s servers means that local networks, ISPs, and government agencies will not be able to detect what you are doing online. This allows you to use ChatGPT or any other website privately.
We also love that NordVPN comes with advanced features such as a kill-switch, obfuscated servers, DoubleVPN, Tor over VPN, ad blocking, malware filtering, and a SmartDNS service to unblock American streams on consoles, smart TVs, or any other device that won’t let you install a VPN directly.
Live chat support is available around the clock, which means you can get help installing and using the VPN. What’s more, you can test this VPN completely risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. Plus, it works to access Netflix, Hulu, iPlayer, HBO Max, and more – making it a perfect all-rounder for the average home internet user.
- Zero logs policy
- Strong security
- Super fast speeds for streaming
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, Disney+, HBO
- Undertaken audits to prove no-logs claims
- 5,000+ servers in 60+ countries, that work with ChatGPT
- Can take quite a few seconds to connect
- Suffered a breach at a server in Finland in 2018 (was an isolated case that has since led to many excellent security improvements)
BEST VPN SERVICE FOR CHATGPT:NordVPN has a simple interface with a surprising amount of advanced features. Works to access popular streams like Netflix, use public wifi safely, bypass blocks at work, and use ChatGPT in any country. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is almost impossible to beat if you are looking for the best cheap VPN for ChatGPT. The VPN starts at just $2.49 (€2.50) per month, which makes it incredibly affordable. It has servers in 100 countries, so you can easily use it to access blocked or region-locked websites all around the world; including ChatGPT.
In addition to being fantastic value for money, you can use Surfshark on an unlimited number of devices. This means you can install the VPN on every device you own, and even share your account with friends and family. Apps are available for Windows. Mac, iOS, Android, Firestick, and Linux, and these apps are feature packed.
The VPN comes with a kill switch, obfuscation, AES encryption, ad and tracker blocking, protection against malicious websites, split tunneling, and the WireGuard protocol for faster speeds. This makes it great for gaming, HD streaming, and torrenting (allowed throughout its network).
Despite being relatively cheap, Surfshark has an excellent no-logs policy and strong DNS leak protection. This makes it safe to use to access ChatGPT anywhere it has been blocked, It also means you can bypass censorship in China, the UAE, or anywhere else in the world that imposes strict online restrictions.
Surfshark’s server network runs entirely in RAM and the VPN has undergone a full third-party security audit of its server infrastructure and no logging policy. We think this VPN is easy to use, however, you can always ask questions thanks to its 24/7 live chat support. Plus it has a 30-day money-back guarantee to let you try it with ChatGPT yourself.
- Works to access ChatGPT in Italy and elsewhere
- Allows unlimited connections
- Works in the UAE and China
- Access Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Some servers are faster than others
- App audit was for its browser extensions only
AMAZING VALUE:Surfshark is by far the best cheap VPN for Chat GPT. Highly secure and fast. Works with popular streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, ESPN, and BBC iPlayer. Lets you access ChatGPT privately at work or in any country. Fast WireGuard protocol is great for streaming and torrenting. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our Surfshark review to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN was launched in 2009, which makes it a true veteran in the VPN industry. During that time, the VPN has maintained an excellent reputation with consumers and reviewers alike. As a result, it has served as the blueprint for many subsequently-launched VPNs.
The service has robust apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Those apps come with a kill switch, strong encryption, a choice of protocols, split tunneling, and its custom Lightway protocol which is purposefully designed to provide better speeds. It also has a no-logging policy that has been independently verified
Servers are available in 94 countries, and it has over 3000 in total. This makes it a great way to regain access to ChatGPT, or any other censored or region-locked service. In addition to being fast enough for streaming in HD, this VPN allows torrenting throughout its network. It is also one of the few VPNs that works with popular international streaming services, which makes it a fantastic all-rounder.
ExpressVPN’s servers run on diskless servers with volatile memory, providing an extra layer of security for its users. It has also endured third-party audits of its apps and policies, so you can trust its no-logging policy and the safety of its apps. You can test it risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee, and get help setting it up thanks to its 24/7 live chat support.
- Reliable encryption and a no-logging policy
- Fast speeds for streaming, gaming, and torrenting
- Works with ChatGPT, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and more
- 24/7 live chat support
- Works in China
- Slightly more expensive than our other recommendations
- Doesn’t always work with BBC iPlayer
FAST AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is the perfect ChatGPT VPN for anybody who needs to access it in Italy, China, Iran, or elsewhere. Strong encryption to keep your ChatGPT and other browsing habits private. Allows torrenting and works with popular services like Netflix US. Throws in a free Smart DND service called MediaStreamer with every subscription.
Check out our ExpressVPN review for more information.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a provider based in Romania, a country that lacks any mandatory data retention directives that apply to VPNs. As a result, it implements a solid no-logging policy that promises never to retain any records of what its users do while connected. It uses strong encryption in its apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android – making it a solid option to use ChatGPT privately anywhere in the world.
CyberGhost is particularly good for beginners because it lacks complicated settings and advanced features you get with some of the alternatives above it. This makes it a touch less suitable if you want to torrent, or have advanced requirements. However, if you are new to VPNs and want something you can easily use on up to 7 devices, CyberGhost is well worth considering.
In terms of features, you still get everything you need to regain access to ChatGPT in Italy or elsewhere. Servers in 89+ countries mean you can always get an IP address where you need one, and this VPN works with Netflix US, Disney Plus, Peacock, iPlayer, ITV X, and other popular services.
The VPN has a kill switch to prevent you from ever leaking your internet use outside of the VPN tunnel. Split tunneling lets you specify which apps use the VPN and which don’t. This can be useful for torrenting, for example. The CyberGhost apps can block ads and filter out malware.
The only drawback is that you don’t get multi-hop connections, Tor over VPN, or port forwarding. However, it does have 24/7 live chat support, and it provides a free Smart DNS service that you can configure via the members’ area of the website. You can try the VPN with ChatGPT using its 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Fast, streaming-optimized servers
- Connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- Kill switch on all apps and keeps no logs
- Apps are great for beginners
- Works to access ChatGPT
- Doesn’t reliably work in China or the UAE
BEST CHATGPT VPN FOR BEGINNERS:In addition to being fast and working to access ChatGPT, CyberGhost offers strong encryption and a no-logs policy to protect your privacy at home, at work, or on public wifi. Has a 45-day money-back guarantee, which is a longer trial than any of our other recommendations.
Read our CyberGhost VPN review to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a provider based in the US. As you might expect, it has servers in 27 different cities across the US. This makes it one of the best VPNs for getting an American IP address, which is perfect if you want to access ChatGPT or any other US-based services.
The VPN is reliable thanks to its secure apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Firesticks. Those apps come with a kill switch, DNS leak protection, XOR obfuscation, strong AES-256 encryption, split tunneling (Android and FireOS only), and a choice of VPN protocols – including OpenVPN and WireGuard.
This makes it a good option for accessing ChatGPT, restricted VoIP services in countries like the UAE, and any other censored content around the world. That said, it is important to note that this VPN does not work in China, so stick to another recommendation if you want to unblock ChatGPT there.
Another slight drawback of IPVanish is that it is not as good for accessing international streaming services. For this reason, we recommend that you test it using its 30-day refund guarantee to check whether it works with your favorite services. On the plus side, it works to access Netflix US, which is often enough for most people.
Being based in the US means that the VPN could be served a warrant and gag order by the authorities. However, it has a solid no-logging policy, so it would never have any VPN use logs to hand over. You can ask questions by contacting its live chat support at any time of the day. Best of all, this VPN lets you connect using an unlimited number of devices.
- Excellent connection speeds for gaming and torrenting
- Strong security features, including a kill switch
- No logging policy
- Servers in over 50 countries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Blocked in UAE
- Blocked in China
- Doesn’t unblock as many streaming services
FAST CONNECTIONS:IPVanish runs on a proprietary network of servers owned by its parent company. This makes it fast for gaming, torrenting, and streaming in HD. Works with Netflix US, Prime Video US, and HBO Max. Allows unlimited connections so you can share your account with friends and family.
Read our full IPVanish review to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN was launched in 2019, making it one of the youngest VPNs on the market. It has quickly gained popularity with consumers worldwide and attracted the attention of Nord Technologies, which acquired it in 2021. This makes it the sister service of our top recommendation, NordVPN, and means that its users are in good hands.
The VPN has custom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android and those apps come with a kill switch, robust encryption, split tunneling, multi-hop connections, ad and tracker blocking, and protection against malicious websites.
It’s a decent all-rounder for gaining online privacy and security. The only caveat is that the kill switch leaks momentarily on reconnection, so you will want to pause your torrents for a moment until you have reconnected the VPN manually.
Servers are available in 40+ countries worldwide, which means you can easily use it to unblock ChatGPT. It also works with popular services like Netflix US, Hulu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer. It also allows torrenting throughout its network, which makes it a decent all-rounder.
The VPN comes with WireGuard by default, which makes it fast. The only slight drawback is that you do not get the option of OpenVPN, which some users may prefer. Subscribers can install the VPN on an unlimited number of devices, which means you can share your account with friends and family.
- Fast connection speeds
- A great choice for streaming, torrenting, or general browsing
- Servers in 40+ countries to access Chat GPT and other services
- Works with Netflix US and other streaming services
- No logging policy
- Can’t be installed on routers
- Fewer server locations than some of its rivals
- Kill-switch leaks on reconnection
- Based in the US
GOOD FOR STREAMING:AtlasVPN is a fantastic ChatGPT VPN for users who want a cheap VPN that is good for streaming. Easy to use and fast. Apps for all popular platforms. Has a limited free plan that you can use to download 10 GB of data each month.
Read our AtlasVPN review to find out more.
VPN for ChatGPT: Our testing methodology
There are hundreds of VPNs on the market, which can make choosing a provider confusing for home internet users. To help internet users who need to gain online privacy and bypass restrictions, we use a precise VPN testing methodology.
As part of our tests, we conduct regular VPN speed tests from various locations around the world. We also test each VPNs security, ensure each VPN is safe against leaks, and check the small print in over 140 VPN logging policies!
Follow the link above to find out more about how we test VPNs. However, we have included the most important features we considered when reviewing VPNs for ChatGPT below:
- Strong privacy. Our recommendations all have a no-logging policy, which ensures the VPN never retains any records of what you do online.
- Robust security. We check each VPN’s app under the hood to see how it implements its encryption. We also carry out IP, DNS, and WebRTC leak tests to ascertain that the VPN is correctly locking all data inside the VPN tunnel.
- Advanced features. We check each VPN for additional features and security settings that help to make it better value for money. For example, we consider VPNs that have ad blocking, malware filtering, multi-hop, Tor over VPN, port forwarding, split tunneling, and anything else.
- Global server network. A wide choice of servers lets you get a new IP address wherever you need it. This lets you bypass censorship, use Chat GPT, bypass location blocks on streaming services, and access other internationally restricted services.
- Secure apps for all devices. Consumers own all kinds of different devices that they want to protect online. We check the market for VPNs that have the best apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Firestick, Linux, and browsers. The VPNs we recommend are more useful and easier to use no matter what device you own.
- Excellent accessibility. Consumers want a VPN that works to access as many services as possible. In this guide, we recommended VPNs that can access ChatGPT, Netflix US, VoIP apps, social media services, news platforms, and as many other popular services worldwide as possible.
- Superb value for money. In this guide, we considered privacy and security first. We recommend the best ChatGPT VPNs that are also decent value for money. This gives you the accessibility you need without paying over the odds.
- Reliable customer service. We checked the market for VPNs that have excellent website resources such as FAQs, setup guides, and live chat support. This lets you contact the VPN either by email or by talking to its agents directly.
- Fully audited network of diskless servers. To make it into our top 3 VPNs, we only recommended VPNs that have fully-audited, diskless servers. This reduces the risk of potential vulnerabilities and improves trust and security for its users.
How to use a VPN to access ChatGPT
Using a VPN with ChatGPT is simple. All you need to do is follow the steps below.
- Choose a VPN for ChatGPT. We recommend NordVPN because it is fast, secure, and reliable. Using our link will let you subscribe at the lowest possible cost thanks to our exclusive automatic coupons.
- Download the VPN software for your device. Our recommendations have apps for all platforms to let you unblock ChatGPT on any mobile device, laptop, desktop computer, or tablet.
- Login to the VPN app. When you sign up you will choose a username and password. Use these credentials to log in to the VPN on your devices.
- Connect to a VPN server in the US. You can also connect to the UK, or anywhere else where ChatGPT is available.
- Head over to OpenAI’s website and sign in to ChatGPT.
Please note: If you have never used ChatGPT before, you will need to sign up for the service using your name, email, and phone number (to receive an SMS activation code). Following that, you will get access to the popular ChatGPT chatbot.
If you live in Italy, Iran, Russia, or China – or are connected to the internet on a network that has blocked ChatGPT (such as at school or at work) – following the steps above should get you access to ChatGPT.
Having issues? Try using a different server from the list in your VPN app. For continuing issues, try reaching out to your VPN provider who can offer a list of servers that do work.
Free VPNs that work with ChatGPT
In theory, a free VPN could work with ChatGPT. There are a few free services that we can recommend such as AtlasVPN and ProtonVPN. However, OpenAI doesn’t allow you to use ChatGPT when connected to a VPN, and the chances that you will find a server that works with these free services are slim.
Another drawback of using a free VPN is the limitations on server choice, data, and speed, all of which can make using ChatGPT with a free service less than ideal.
If you want to try a VPN with ChatGPT for free, the best option is to try one of our recommendations using its money-back guarantee. This will let you see how a full VPN plan without restrictions works to access ChatGPT and other popular services.
ChatGPT VPN FAQs
Why is Chat GPT telling me it is temporarily unavailable?
If you are trying to use ChatGPT but it is telling you that it is temporarily unavailable, this is probably due to overuse. ChatGPT is currently inundated with free users, which is clogging up its servers. As a result, OpenAI temporarily prevents some users from using ChatGPT.
The important thing to remember is that ChatGPT does not purposefully discriminate against users. You are not being singled out personally, and are being blocked along with many other thousands of users worldwide.
The good news is that if you try again later, you should be able to access ChatGPT. If waiting around is getting too frustrating, you will need to pay for a ChatGPT Plus account, which will give you priority access to use ChatGPT at any time of day.
What are the privacy concerns surrounding Chat GPT?
Large language models like ChatGPT require vast amounts of data to train, and as a result, it is important for legislators to consider how access to user inputs, the internet, and other data sources is affecting consumer privacy rights and digital safety.
Due to the fact that ChatGPT can now access plugins that give it direct access to the internet, the amount of data used to train the AI behind Large Language Models is increasing all the time.
This raises potential concerns over the ability for OpenAI and Microsoft (the companies behind ChatGPT) to mine user data for profit, and the risk of these data sets falling victim to hackers.
It is important for internet users to exercise caution when using ChatGPT. Any data provided to ChatGPT is being used to train the Large Language Model behind it, and it is vital that users do not provide any personally identifiable information or company data that could put them at risk.
Why is Chat GPT blocked in Italy?
The Italian government has ordered ChatGPT to be temporarily blocked in Italy due to privacy concerns. Italy’s Data Protection Authority has decided it needs time to check whether ChatGPT adequately complies with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation to protect user data against improper use and the threat of hacking.
In addition, Italy’s government believes that ChatGPT may potentially pose a threat to children who could be exposed to harmful responses that are unsuitable for their age.
OpenAI has already stated that ChatGPT is only meant for users over the age of 13, however, the Italian government is not convinced that OpenAI and Microsoft are doing enough to protect underage users from being exposed to harmful material.
Where is ChatGPT banned or blocked?
ChatGPT is available in most countries around the world. However, it has already been banned or blocked in the following countries:
- North Korea
Is it legal to use a VPN to access ChatGPT?
As far as we are aware, it is not currently illegal to use a VPN to access a ChatGPT account in a country where it is blocked. However, we would urge you to remember that nothing in this guide should be taken as legal advice and it is a good idea to do your own research to find out whether there are any risks associated with unblocking ChatGPT where you live.
Can I use a VPN to unblock ChatGPT in school or at work?
Yes. If your college, university, or employer has blocked OpenAI’s website or any other service that integrates ChatGPT, you can use a VPN to regain access. The best thing about a VPN is that it encrypts your internet traffic. This means you can access ChatGPT privately at work, and your boss will not be able to find out.
Remember that while you can use a VPN to bypass blocks on ChatGPT, you may want to carefully consider whether it is a good idea. Using a VPN to process sensitive company data, consumer data, or intellectual property could potentially be illegal, and might put you or the company you work for at risk of litigation or fines.
Remember that nothing in this guide should be taken as legal advice, and we urge you to do your own research to understand why ChatGPT is blocked and how unblocking it may put you at risk.
Can I use ChatGPT for free?
Yes, ChatGPT is currently available for free using various different applications. It is available via Bing in your Edge browser, inside of Skype, and directly on OpenAI’s website.
Despite this, it is true that some platforms may require payment or a subscription to leverage ChatGPT integration. You may need to pay to use ChatGPT in some applications. You will need to check each service individually to find out what the costs are.
Look out for scams in which fraudsters sell access to ChatGPT. The official version is free to use.