ChatGPT has taken the world by storm and the possibilities are endless, but many experts have begun raising concerns about data privacy. Following an industry-wide call for a six-month pause on its development, the Italian data protection authority has issued an immediate ban on ChatGPT. As a result, Italian users have been left unable to use this staggering technology.
Although the Italian government has reason to check ChatGPT is compliant with GDPR, we understand Italian users’ eagerness to retain access to emerging tech that can provide life-changing efficiencies to their businesses and personal projects.
In this guide, we will explain how anybody in Italy can use a VPN to regain access to ChatGPT. We will explain how a VPN can help you to use ChatGPT privately, and we will recommend the best VPNs for ChatGPT in Italy.
If you are in a hurry, you can use the quick list below to find a VPN for ChatGPT in Italy. For more info about each VPN, scroll down for our in-depth summaries.
Best VPNs for accessing ChatGPT in Italy:
- NordVPN: Best VPN for ChatGPT users in Italy. Choice of servers in 59+ countries that work with ChatGPT, Playground, and other OpenAI resources. Highly secure and versatile. Fast for streaming and works with Netflix.
- Surfshark: Best cheap VPN for ChatGPT Lets you use the VPN on an unlimited number of devices. Works to access ChatGPT in Italy, at work, and anywhere else it is blocked. Easy to use and reliable.
- ExpressVPN: Ideal for unblocking region-locked and censored content, including ChatGPT in Italy. Fast connection speeds, no logging policy, and strong security.
- CyberGhost: Best ChatGPT VPN for beginners in Italy. CyberGhost is easy to use and works to unblock ChatGPT on any device. Servers in 89+ countries.
- IPVanish: Excellent speeds. IPVanish offers strong encryption and fast servers. Great for streaming, gaming, torrenting, and using ChatGPT.
- Atlas VPN: A new VPN that is cheap, fast, and super-popular. Fast WireGuard protocol is perfect for streaming. Servers in 40+ countries work to use ChatGPT in Italy.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR CHAT GPT RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for ChatGPT with no restrictions for a month—perfect for anyone to unblock ChatGPT in Italy.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to access ChatGPT in Italy
Not sure how to get started? Using a VPN to access ChatGPT in Italy is actually very simple. Even VPN beginners can get it set up and start using ChatGPT in just a few minutes! To help you out, we have explained the steps below.
Here’s how to use ChatGPT in Italy:
- Choose a ChatGPT VPN for Italy. We recommend NordVPN because it is fast, secure, and reliable. Alternatively, Surfshark is a superb low-cost alternative and ExpressVPN is an outstanding all-rounder that also works to use ChatGPT in Italy.
- Download the VPN software for your device. Our recommended VPNs have apps for all popular operating systems. You can unblock ChatGPT on mobile devices, laptops, desktop computers, or tablets.
- Login to the VPN app. Sign in to the VPN application using the credentials you picked when subscribing.
- Connect to a VPN server in the US, the UK, the EU, or elsewhere that ChatGPT is available.
- Head over to OpenAI’s website to sign in and use your ChatGPT account in Italy.
If you are new to ChatGPT, you will need to sign up for the service using your name, email, and phone number (to receive an SMS activation code). Following that, you will be able to start using ChatGPT for free on OpenAI’s website. Alternatively, you can use ChatGPT integrated into Skype and Bing.
Best VPNs for ChatGPT in Italy
To find the best VPN for ChatGPT users in Italy, we used a rigorous set of tests to compare the best-suited options. You can find out more about how we pick the top VPNs for ChatGPT later in this guide. For now, here is a list of some of the most important criteria we used:
- Servers that work to access OpenAI’s website and use ChatGPT.
- Fast servers that will keep your internet running at optimal speeds.
- Strong security features to keep your browsing habits and ChatGPT-use private.
- VPN apps to let you unblock Chat GPT on Windows, Mac, iOS, or Android.
- Reliable privacy protections, including a no-logging policy and solid encryption.
- World-class customer support with 24/7 live chat.
- A wide choice of features to make the VPN more useful.
- Outstanding value for money.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for using ChatGPT in Italy:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is the best option for ChatGPT users in Italy. It has fast servers in 59+ countries, including servers in many locations that work to log in and use ChatGPT in Italy (or anywhere else it is blocked).
NordVPN is super secure thanks to its no-logging policy and strong encryption. It runs its entire network on RAM-only, meaning it can wipe a server instantly in an emergency by pulling the plug. NordVPN has completed third-party audits of its policies, network, and apps, meaning that you can be sure this VPN is safe.
With NordVPN you can access ChatGPT on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. You can set up the VPN manually on Linux machines and compatible routers. This lets users in Italy access ChatGPT on smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers.
Best of all, NordVPN has a suite of excellent security features, so your online activities will not be easily detectable by third parties, such as your ISP or the government. This includes a kill switch, obfuscated servers, and DoubleVPN.
Live chat support is available 24/7, so you can get help installing and using the VPN. You can even test it with ChatGPT yourself thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. To seal the deal, this VPN also works to access Netflix US – and you can use it to unblock Italian TV platforms like RaiPlay and Mediaset Play when you go on vacation.
- Zero logs policy
- Strong security features and fully audited apps
- Fast connection speeds for gaming and torrenting
- Works with international and Italian streaming services
- 5,000+ servers in 60+ countries, that work with ChatGPT
- Takes around 20 seconds to establish the connection
- Suffered a breach at a server in Finland in 2018 (was an isolated case that has since led to many excellent security improvements)
BEST CHATGPT VPN FOR ITALY:NordVPN is easy to use considering its large number of advanced features. Works to access popular streams like Netflix, use public wifi safely, bypass blocks at work, and use ChatGPT in Italy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a highly affordable VPN service that provides servers in 100 countries; ideal for accessing ChatGPT in Italy!
For such an advanced VPN with many features, Surfshark represents unbeatable value for money. You can use a single subscription on an unlimited number of devices, which means you can share your account with friends and family.
Best of all, Surfshark has reliable apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Firestick, and Linux, so you will be able to enjoy the VPN to access ChatGPT (or any other service that interests you) on every device you own.
Its highly advanced apps come with a kill switch, obfuscation, AES encryption, ad and tracker blocking, protection against malicious websites, split tunneling, and the WireGuard protocol to give you even faster speeds. These traits make it a fantastic option for gaming, HD streaming, and torrenting safely in Italy.
Surfshark will keep everything you do online confidential, now and in the future, thanks to its no-logs policy, robust AES encryption, and watertight DNS leak protection. You can safely use ChatGPT in Italy and bypass any other censorship if you travel elsewhere in the world.
Surfshark’s entire network has diskless servers, and the VPN has undergone a full third-party security audit of its server network and privacy policies. You can ask questions about setting up and using the VPN at any time of day thanks to its 24/7 live chat support. You can also get a refund at any point in the first 30 days to try it with ChatGPT yourself!
- Access ChatGPT in Italy and elsewhere
- Lets you connect unlimited devices
- Fast speeds
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Italian TV services
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Some servers are faster than others
- App audit was for the browser extensions only
SUPERB VALUE FOR MONEY:Surfshark is the best cheap VPN for Chat GPT users in Italy. Reliable security and fast speeds. Can access Italian TV platforms while abroad. Works with popular streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, ESPN, and BBC iPlayer. Great for streaming and torrenting. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our Surfshark review to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN was launched in 2009, which makes it one of the longest-standing VPNs on the market. The service has a fantastic reputation among consumers worldwide – and is one of the best VPN services to access ChatGPT in Italy.
It has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS to let you use ChatGPT on all your devices. Those apps come with a kill switch, AES-256 encryption, a choice of protocols, split tunneling, and its custom Lightway protocol to give you faster speeds. It has a trustworthy no-logging policy that has been independently audited. You can use the VPN on up to 5 devices simultaneously.
With ExpressVPN, you get access to servers in 94 countries. This makes it perfect for accessing international streaming services, ChatGPT, restricted torrent sites, or anything else that interests you. It works with Netflix US, Hulu, HBO Max, and to watch popular Italian streaming services on vacation.
ExpressVPN’s network is extra-secure thanks to its diskless servers. The biggest drawbacks are that it is a touch expensive, and it doesn’t allow port forwarding. However, it is an extremely reliable VPN that suits most home internet users. You can try it yourself using its 30-day money-back guarantee and get help at any time of the day via its live chat support.
- Secure encryption and a zero-logs policy
- Fast speeds for streaming, gaming, and torrenting
- Works with ChatGPT, Italian TV services, Netflix US, and more
- 24/7 live chat support
- Also works in China
- More expensive than our other recommendations
- Fewer advanced features than our top recommendations
TRUSTED AND FAST:ExpressVPN is an incredible ChatGPT VPN for anybody in Italy. Strong encryption to keep your ChatGPT-use private. Allows torrenting. Works with popular services like Netflix US and Italian TV platforms. Live chat support 24/7. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our ExpressVPN review for more information
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a provider based in Romania that has a strong no-logging policy. This means it never tracks user activity, making it a good choice for anybody wanting to unblock ChatGPT privately in Italy.
The apps are easy to use as it has fewer features than some of the other recommendations. This may make it less attractive to techy users, or people who often torrent. However, for home internet users in Italy who primarily want to access ChatGPT, unlock streams, and use public wifi safely, CyberGhost remains a fantastic option.
Apps are available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android and you can use those apps on up to 7 devices. CyberGhost is fast thanks to its WireGuard implementation, and it works with many popular streaming services, including Netflix US. It has fast servers in 89+ countries, including Italy, so you can watch Italian TV platforms on vacation.
CyberGhost provides AES encryption (OpenVPN protocol), a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. This makes it reliable for keeping your online activities private. It also blocks ads and filters malware, which provides another layer of internet security.
The only downside is that it does not offer multi-hop connections, Tor over VPN, or port forwarding. Also, split tunneling is available for Android only. However, unless you specifically need these features, CyberGhost is very versatile and cheap. You can get help at any time of day thanks to its 24/7 live chat support and try it risk-free using its 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Fast, streaming-optimized servers
- Connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- Kill switch on all apps and a no logs policy
- Apps are excellent for beginners
- Works to access ChatGPT in Italy
- Doesn’t reliably work in China or the UAE
EASIEST CHATGPT VPNs:CyberGhost is perfect for any VPN beginners in Italy. Apps for all devices are easy to use. No confusing features. Works to access ChatGPT, Netflix US, Italian TV, and much more. Strong encryption and a no-logs policy. Has a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our CyberGhost VPN review to find out more
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a US-based VPN with servers located in 27 different U.S. cities. This makes it a fantastic option for accessing US services like ChatGPT, Netflix US, and anything else that requires a US IP Address.
IPVanish might be based in the USA, which isn’t the best place for a privacy service to be located. However, it has a zero-logs policy, meaning it would have no historical data to pass to US authorities – even if served a warrant. Secure apps are available for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Firesticks. These apps come with a kill switch, DNS leak protection, XOR obfuscation, strong AES-256 encryption, split tunneling (Android and FireOS only), and a variety of VPN protocols. This makes it reliable for getting privacy when using ChatGPT or any other service.
Because of its capable features and fast network of servers in 50 countries, IPVanish is a good option for accessing ChatGPT, censored websites, or restricted VoIP services in countries like the UAE. It is also safe for bypassing blocks at work, in school, or imposed by Italian ISPs.
One drawback is that IPVanish isn’t as good for accessing international streaming services. However, it still works to access Netflix US. Plus, you can test it with Italian streaming services using its 30-day money-back guarantee. Best of all, you can use this VPN on an unlimited number of devices to share your account and use it on any device!
- Fantastic connection speeds for gaming and torrenting
- Strong security features, including a kill switch
- No logging policy
- Servers in over 50 countries, including Italy
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Blocked in UAE and China
- Doesn’t unblock as many streaming services
GREAT SPEEDS:IPVanish runs on a proprietary network of fast servers for HD streaming, gaming, and torrenting in Italy. Works to access ChatGPT and Netflix US from Italy. Allows unlimited connections. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is one of the newest VPN services on the market. It has quickly gained popularity thanks to its high-quality service and reliable security features. Its rapid growth led to the service being acquired by NordVPN in 2021. Since then, the VPN has improved greatly, adding features and extending its server network, making it a reliable VPN for Italy.
The VPN has custom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. You can use it to unblock ChatGPT on any device, whether at home or on public wifi. It is fast thanks to its WireGuard protocol, which means you can use it for streaming, gaming, and making video calls.
The apps come with a kill switch, strong encryption, split tunneling, multi-hop connections, ad and tracker blocking, and protection against malicious websites. This makes it a decent all-rounder. It is also suitable for torrenting. That said, AtlasVPN’s kill switch leaks for a moment during reconnection, so you should pause your torrents until you are safely re-connected.
Servers are available in 40+ countries, and it works to access ChatGPT, Netflix US, Hulu, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and other popular international services while in Italy, as well as local Italian TV. It also works to access Italian services from abroad!
The main drawback is that it doesn’t provide the popular OpenVPN protocol or obfuscation in any of its apps. So, if you want these features, you will need to shop elsewhere. On the other hand, WireGuard is considered futureproof, and considering the cost of this VPN – and its unlimited simultaneous connection allowance – its popularity is unsurprising.
- Fast connections for streaming, torrenting, and gaming in Italy
- Servers in 40+ countries work with Chat GPT
- Works with Netflix US and other popular streaming services
- No logs policy
- Can’t be installed on routers
- Fewer server locations than our other recommendations
- Kill-switch leaks on reconnection
- Based in the US
BEST FOR STREAMING:AtlasVPN is great for ChatGPT users in Italy looking for a cheaper option that doubles up as a streaming VPN. Fast and easy to use. Makes apps for all popular platforms. Provides a limited free plan with a 10 GB monthly data cap and 3 server locations.
Read our AtlasVPN review to find out more
Methodology: How we find the best ChatGPT VPNs for Italy
Our testing methodology helps to ensure that we only ever recommend the best VPNs for ChatGPT users in Italy. As a result, internet users can gain online privacy and bypass restrictions without any repercussions or concerns.
As part of our review methodology, we carry out VPN speed tests from three different popular locations in Asia, the UK, and the US. We look under the hood and check the VPNs security, and we test each VPN application for leaks. We also check the privacy policies to ensure they meet our rigorous standards.
Below, we have included a list of things we checked for when recommending the best VPNs for ChatGPT users in Italy:
- Robust privacy protections. We only recommended VPNs with a no-logging policy. It never stores any records of what its users do online.
- Watertight security. We check how each VPN implements its encryption, look for any potential holes in its systems, and carry out leak tests. We only recommend VPNs that always protect your data from eavesdroppers.
- Advanced features. We try to find VPNs that have plenty of useful additional features and security settings. We look for things like multi-hop, Tor over VPN, port forwarding, and ad blocking to recommend VPNs that represent exceptional value for money.
- Servers worldwide. We choose VPNs with a wide selection of server locations to let you access popular services from all around the world. This lets you bypass censorship to use Chat GPT, bypass region blocks, and get an IP address right around the globe.
- Secure apps for all devices. We check each VPN’s compatibility and recommend only those that work on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. Extra points for Linux, router, and browser compatibility.
- Freedom of access. We only recommend VPNs that can provide you with a high degree of online freedom by bypassing all kinds of blocks and accessing popular services the world over.
- Value for money. We always consider privacy and security above all else. However, we understand that cost can be a deciding factor, which is why we only recommend reliable VPNs for ChatGPT that are also good value for money.
- Great customer service. Using a VPN should be easy, but if you run into difficulties, you should be able to get help. We only recommend VPNs with email and live chat support, setup guides, and website resources, such as FAQs.
- A fully audited network of diskless servers. To make it into our top 3 VPNs, the VPN must have completed third-party security audits and run a network of RAM-only servers that can easily be cleared in an emergency.
Accessing ChatGPT in Italy FAQs
Can I use a free VPN for ChatGPT in Italy?
Although there are a couple of trustworthy free VPNs on the market (AtlasVPN and ProtonVPN) the rest should be avoided. Studies have revealed that free VPNs have lapse privacy policies that allow the VPN to track users' habits for profiling purposes. These unscrupulous VPNs sell user data to third parties such as advertisers and data brokers to create a revenue stream.
In addition, free VPNs have been found to have insecure apps, suffer from DNS and IP leaks, lack reliable encryption, and have spyware in their apps. This makes using free VPNs a huge risk to your data security in Italy.
If you want to use ChatGPT for free with a VPN, we generally recommend making use of a VPN’s money-back guarantee. This is because the trusted free VPNs we mentioned above are highly limited compared to their premium counterparts. This includes things like slow speeds, few server locations, and annoying download limits.
A premium VPN, on the other hand, doesn't need to cost the earth - and will give you unrestricted access to ChatGPT or any other services that interest you.
I paid for a ChatGPT Plus account what should I do?
If you try to access ChatGPT in Italy without a VPN, then you will see the following message:
"Caro utente di ChatGPT,
Siamo spiacenti di informarti che abbiamo disabilitato l’accesso a ChatGPT per gli utenti in Italia su richiesta del Garante per la protezione dei dati personali.
Il 1 aprile 2023 abbiamo emesso un rimborso per tutti gli utenti in Italia che hanno acquistato un abbonamento a ChatGPT Plus nel mese di marzo 2023.
Abbiamo inoltre sospeso temporaneamente i rinnovi degli abbonamenti in Italia, in modo che agli utenti non venga addebitato alcun costo per il periodo in cui l’accesso a ChatGPT è sospeso.
Ci impegniamo a proteggere la privacy delle persone e riteniamo di offrire ChatGPT in conformità con il GDPR e le altre leggi sulla privacy. Ci impegneremo con il Garante con l’obiettivo di ripristinare l’accesso a ChatGPT il prima possibile.
Molti di voi ci hanno detto di trovare ChatGPT utile per le attività quotidiane e ci auguriamo di poterlo rendere nuovamente disponibile al più presto.
Se hai domande o dubbi riguardanti ChatGPT o il processo di rimborso, abbiamo preparato un elenco di Domande Frequenti con le relative risposte.
—The OpenAI Support Team"
As you can see in the message, any users who paid for ChatGPT Plus in March are being offered a refund and will not be able to renew their account until the government restrictions are lifted. The good news is that you should be able to re-subscribe by connecting to a VPN server in the US or elsewhere outside of Italy.
This will give you a valid IP address, which means that you should be able to pay and continue using the service as long as you always connect to a VPN server outside of Italy.
Can I use ChatGPT for free in Italy?
Yes, ChatGPT is available for free via OpenAI’s website and in various different applications. For example, it is available through Bing in your Edge browser and directly inside Skype. This means you can easily use it for free in Italy with a VPN.
The only caveat is that some platforms may require payment or a subscription to use their integration of ChatGPT. You may need to pay to use ChatGPT in some applications. We recommend you check each service you want to use to find out if there are any costs associated.
We also strongly recommend that you are on the lookout for scams. Fraudsters have been known to sell access to ChatGPT, so please remember that you can use the official version for free on OpenAI’s website.
Why is Chat GPT temporarily unavailable?
ChatGPT is extremely popular, which means that its servers often get congested with users around the world. If this happens, you may get a message that tells you ChatGPT is temporarily unavailable. If this happens, your VPN may not necessarily be able to help. On the other hand, it may be worth connecting to a VPN server in a different country to see if this establishes a ChatGPT session.
The important thing to remember is that if you receive this message, it has nothing to do with the blocks in Italy or your VPN. It simply means that ChatGPT is overloaded and you need to wait for it to become available again.
Why is Chat GPT blocked in Italy?
The Italian Data Protection Authority has ordered a temporary block on ChatGPT for privacy reasons. The government of Italy has decided that it wants to investigate the service to ensure it complies with the rules set out in the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The government is also concerned that OpenAI does not have any way to check whether a user is over the age of 13, which Italian authorities believe could allow children to be exposed to unsuitable content.
OpenAI has reiterated that ChatGPT is only meant for users over the age of 13. However, the Italian government is concerned that the company is not doing enough to protect its users against data abuses and potentially harmful responses.
What are the privacy concerns surrounding ChatGPT?
AI experts, government bodies, and privacy advocacy groups are becoming concerned that the data sets used to train ChatGPT, as well as the additional data provided directly by users, may create serious privacy risks and cybersecurity threats for ChatGPT users.
Large language models like ChatGPT require a lot of data to train, and while using the technology, individuals often provide personal information, company data, and intellectual property. This is leading to concerns that private data is leveraged to create a revenue stream for OpenAI and Microsoft (its parent company) without the knowledge or consent of its users.
With this in mind, experts are now calling for legislators to consider how ChatGPT access to user inputs, the internet, and other data sources affects consumer privacy rights and the safety of individuals or businesses that use the platform.
Where is ChatGPT banned or blocked?
ChatGPT is currently banned or blocked in the following countries:
- North Korea
Is it legal to use a VPN to access ChatGPT in Italy?
Yes. There are no laws that explicitly make it illegal to use ChatGPT in Italy, and the restrictions have only been put in place as a protective measure. You should be able to get around the blocks with a VPN to continue using ChatGPT without repercussions.
That said, we remind you that nothing in this article constitutes legal advice. We recommend that you do your own research to understand local laws, and understand any potential repercussions of using ChatGPT where you live.
Can I use a VPN to unblock ChatGPT in school or at work?
If your workplace or school has blocked ChatGPT in Italy, a VPN will help. A VPN encrypts your internet traffic to let you access ChatGPT privately on any network, including at work.
However, we urge you to consider why your employer or school has blocked ChatGPT. It is possible that using ChatGPT to process sensitive company data, consumer data, or intellectual property could be illegal, and might expose your business to litigation or fines. It is even possible that you could incur personal liabilities.
Remember that nothing in this guide is legal advice, and it is vital that you understand why your company has blocked ChatGPT before you decide to push on and break those rules.