Unfortunately, Screambox is geo-restricted and can only be accessed within the US. If you’re an American ex-pat living abroad or you want to access Screambox while traveling, your best bet is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). In this article, we’ll show you how to access Screambox in the UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, China, or anywhere else internationally.
A VPN works by encrypting all the traffic flowing to and from your device and redirecting it via an intermediary server in a country of your choice. Sites like Screambox will assume you’re logging in from the location you’ve chosen. The encryption aspect of a VPN will make it difficult for ISPs and hackers to monitor your internet activity.
Using a VPN is perfectly legal in most parts of the world so you don’t have to worry about any legal ramifications.
Below you will find a lot of detail on each of the providers that we feature, but if you only have time for a quick summary, below is our list of the best VPNs for Screambox.
Best VPNs for Screambox:
- NordVPN Our top choice for a Screambox VPN. Blazingly fast servers in the US and the globe. Unblock Screambox and most other popular streaming services. Private, secure, and easy-to-use apps. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Surfshark A budget VPN for the entire family with unlimited simultaneous connections. Plenty of great security features.
- ExpressVPN Fast speeds and a variety of servers to choose from. Also comes with many premium privacy and security tools.
- CyberGhost Great value and easy to use. Speeds are impressive for streaming and we like their stance on privacy.
- IPVanish Fast enough to stream Screambox from abroad in high quality, plus strong security and a no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN Small, new provider, with a growing network of servers that came onto our radar for good streaming speeds and their unblocking capabilities.
- VyprVPN Gives you access to most geo-blocked content at good streaming speeds. Private and secure but not the cheapest here.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Screambox with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite horror content on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
What’s the best VPN to unblock Screambox?
While there are many VPNs to choose from, not all of them offer comparable services. They vary greatly in terms of server network size, security, speed, reliability, and more. In this section, we’ll reveal the best VPNs for accessing Screambox based on the following criteria (more on our testing process later):
- Has the ability to unblock restricted content
- Operates a large number of servers in the US
- Offers a fast and reliable service
- Uses strong encryption
- Allows multiple simultaneous connections
- Provides excellent customer support
Here is our list of the best VPNs for accessing Screambox outside the US:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is at the top of our list. It has been around for over a decade, and during that time has gathered a loyal community of fans. HD quality video streaming is this provider’s forte. Included is an option to select servers specifically for this purpose, which makes NordVPN a solid bet to stream Screambox. What’s more, it can circumvent geo-restrictions to enable access to Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and other streaming sites.
The NordVPN server network comprises more than 5,200 spread across 60+ countries. Around one-third of the total number of servers are located in the US. More servers are being added at a frenetic pace — just a few months ago there were only about 1,700 in total.
The company uses 256-bit AES protocol by default coupled with 2,048-bit SSL keys. DNS leak protection is enabled and a kill switch is built-in. NordVPN adheres to a zero-logs policy and no user data of any sort is retained on its servers. This means there’s very little chance of an invasion of privacy.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS and there are desktop clients for Windows and macOS. A single paid account allows for six simultaneous connections which is generous compared to many other providers.
- Over 1,700 servers in the US can unblock just about anything
- Fast enough speeds to stream HD content without interruptions
- Strong encryption and no logs make for top security and privacy
- 6 simultaneous connections keep all users and devices protected
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat
- Can select city location of servers, but not specific servers
Best VPN for Screambox:NordVPN is our top choice. Most reliable for watching Screambox outside of the US, a super-fast choice that unblocks all major streaming services including Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Great privacy and security features. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is one of the most user-friendly VPNs on the market. It’s compatible with Windows, macOS, Linux, IOS, and Android, each with its own dedicated app. There are over 3,200 servers worldwide, and 500+ in the US alone. This server coverage makes Surfshark a great choice for unblocking Screambox when you’re outside of the US.
It is one of the few VPN providers that allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections on the same account. You can share your Surfshark subscription with friends and family that can benefit from the same great features for one low price. The company operates a strict no-logs policy, so none of your browsing or streaming activity is saved on the server. There is also 256-bit AES encryption and a network kill switch for added security.
Surfshark can support HD streaming on Screambox, as well as other services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. There is unlimited bandwidth and no limitations on network speeds. All subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try Surfshark completely risk-free.
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections on one subscription
- Impressive speeds for HD streaming
- 500+ servers in the USA
- P2P servers need some improvement
Best Budget VPN for Screambox:A Surfshark subscription goes a long way. Unlimited connections and great device compatibility. Safe, secure and affordable.
Here’s our full review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a favorite with privacy enthusiasts as well as streaming video connoisseurs. The service is speedy, reliable, and unblocks geo-restricted content with ease.
The company operates more than 3,000 servers spread across 94+ countries. There are more than enough options to connect to a server in the US with over 20 locations included across the country. Aside from unblocking Screambox, ExpressVPN is able to reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and more. ExpressVPN doesn’t store any detailed traffic logs so your privacy is all but guaranteed. Some metadata is retained and used to improve service quality levels, specifically the date (not time) of connection, choice of server location, and total bandwidth used. Your real IP address isn’t included.
This service uses 256-bit AES-CBC as its default encryption protocol as well as both HMAC authentication and perfect forward secrecy. These are top-tier standards so there are no worries on this front. An internet kill switch is included, which the company refers to as a ‘network lock.’ This feature will temporarily halt all web traffic if the connection drops.
ExpressVPN offers apps for both Android and iOS as well as a desktop client for Windows and macOS. One paid account allows for three simultaneous connections.
- Servers in many US cities can unblock geo-restricted content from almost anywhere
- High-end security features with good privacy protection
- Superfast servers are great for streaming HD content
- Apps for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
- Keeps no traffic logs of personal data
- 24/7 live chat support
- Limited advanced options for power-users
- More expensive than other VPN options
Fast Server Speeds:Express VPN has some of the fastest servers.. Easy-to-use with apps on almost every device. No-logs policy and a network kill switch for complete privacy.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost comes with a bunch of add-ons, including anti-tracking and ad-blocking. Another reason to opt for this VPN provider is that it’s relatively inexpensive and won’t break the bank—appealing to users on a tight budget. As well as unblocking Screambox, also well-equipped to unblock streaming services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
Its network of more than 7,400+ servers includes over 1,200 in the US. There has been a concerted effort to keep adding new servers and locations ever since the company changed ownership last year, so you can expect this number to continue rising.
CyberGhost uses 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, along with 2,048-bit RSA keys and MD5 HMAC authentication. An internet kill switch is included too, which acts as an additional security layer. The company has an internal policy of not storing any user logs. Its Romanian registration means there’s no mandatory imposition of data retention laws either.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS and there are desktop clients for Windows and macOS. A premium subscription grants access to five devices on a single plan.
- Operates over 1,200 servers in various cities within the US
- No issues unblocking plenty of popular US streaming sites from abroad
- Testing revealed impressive server speeds
- Beginners find their apps easy to set up and use.
- Live chat is only available during European working hours
BEGINNERS CHOICE:CyberGhost is fast and reliable. Easy to set up with a user-friendly app. Good with Screambox but can struggle with other popular streaming services. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish offers speedy connections and delivered impressive speeds when we subjected it to HD video streaming during our extensive user review. That means it shouldn’t have any problem with Screambox playback. Global servers total over 1,600 with more than 1,000 in the US alone so finding a suitable server shouldn’t pose a challenge. Aside from Screambox, IPVanish can unblock HBO Now, Amazon Prime Video, and Sling TV.
Many users find IPVanish an excellent option for Kodi because it allows them to download the Android APK directly to their device. The interface is also remote control friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse.
Encryption standards are robust with 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy. The lattermost feature means past browsing sessions remain encrypted and out of the reach of hackers, even if the service is breached.
IPVanish has consistently stuck with an internal policy of zero data retention. This makes it a completely logless service — hence there’s no storage of metadata related to timestamps, server preferences, or other user behavior.
Apps are available for both iOS and Android and there are desktop clients for Windows and macOS. One paid account allows for five simultaneous connections.
- Over 1,000 US servers to choose from
- Unblocks most major US streaming sites from abroad
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Preferred by Kodi and Firestick TV for its remote-friendly apps
- No live customer support, email and ticket support only
- Look elsewhere if you need to use apps in China
Family Choice:IPVanish allows unlimited devices. Unblocks Screambox but look elsewhere if you want to unblock Netflix. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is one of the faster VPNs we’ve come across. It has a smaller network of servers than others on this list, but that doesn’t mean its product is inferior. Its network covers over 60 countries and includes 12 US servers. Our user review demonstrated flawless 1080p video streaming when tested on three different server locations, two of which were in the US.
Online games were similarly lag-free, so it’s likely that you’ll experience the same dynamic when trying to access Screambox. You’ll also be able to view otherwise blocked content from Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and HBO.
PrivateVPN uses strong encryption protocols (128-bit or 256-bit depending on your choice of protocol) as well as perfect forward secrecy. A kill switch and DNS leak protection are included and no logs are maintained.
A basic plan allows for five simultaneous connections. There are apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Servers in 12 US cities achieve good streaming speeds
- Gaining popularity for its growing list of sites it unblocks
- No issues getting it working with Kodi devices
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- A small number of servers to choose from
Great Speeds:PrivateVPN is a solid all-rounder. Good with Screambox, allows up to 6 devices on the same account but has a small selection of servers. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN is a reliable option if you’re looking to circumvent streaming restrictions. Aside from Screambox, it’s able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, and SlingTV. At the moment, it offers a choice of more than 700 servers spread across the world, including a decent selection in the US.
All connections are protected by 256-bit AES encryption, 2,048-bit RSA keys without perfect forward secrecy, and SHA256 authentication. An internet kill switch is included by default. The company offers its proprietary Chameleon™ protocol for an additional fee. This further obfuscates your connection, making it even more difficult for your ISP or surveillance agencies to monitor your web activity.
This provider does have a bit of a data retention policy. Specifically, it will store “the user’s source IP address, the VyprVPN IP address used by the user, connection start and stop time, and the total number of bytes used.” Although the data is deleted after 30 days.
A basic VyprVPN plan allows for five simultaneous connections. Apps are available for both Android and iOS and there are desktop clients available for Windows and macOS.
- Operates multiple servers in 8 major US cities
- Unblocks most popular geo-blocked sites
- Servers provide reliable connections and decent speeds
- A little pricey
- Could have more options for advanced configuration
- No cryptocurrency payment options
UNLIMITED DATA USAGE:VyprVPN is easy to use. Good with Screambox and most popular streaming services. Solid performer but a bit pricey. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of VyprVPN.
Methodology: How we assess the best VPNs for Screambox
Although we understand why geo-restrictions exist, they can be a very frustrating obstacle. If you travel abroad outside of the USA, you will be stuck without access to your Screambox subscription. When we assess these VPNs, we ensure that they can overcome any geographical restrictions you may face while outside the US. Each VPN provider is evaluated using the below criteria:
- Speeds: Streaming is impossible without fast connection speeds, and anything less can result in buffering and long delays. This is why we only recommend VPNs that achieve the highest scores in our speed tests. They can handle HD streaming on Screambox and most other platforms.
- Servers in the US: Screambox only works in the United States and so we ensure that there is a wide choice of US-based servers to get a US IP address. The further away you are from the server location, the slower the connection may be. Because of this, we only recommend VPNs that have coverage across the country, including most of the major US cities.
- Ease of use: The best VPNs for Screambox allow you to connect to a server with a single click. Each has user-friendly apps that are compatible with most devices, making it as easy as possible to protect your connection.
- Security: When on vacation, it’s not unusual to make the most of free hotel wifi. Open networks can pose serious risks, and so a VPN is required to protect users. Each VPN on our list has 256-bit encryption, a network kill switch, a no-logs policy, and more great features.
- Value for money: With so many VPNs on the market competing for your attention, an attractive price is a great place to start. We only list VPNs that justify their subscription costs, including money-back period guarantees and free trials.
This is just an example of the many things we look at when evaluating a VPN for Screambox. If you would like to find out more about our data-driven approach, read our VPN testing methodology here.
Should I use a free VPN to access Screambox?
While researching VPN providers, it’s very likely that you’ll stumble across some free offerings. Such options are inherently attractive because they don’t require you to fork over credit card details or make an upfront payment before using the service. However, these services are typically subpar and come with a multitude of issues.
Accessing Screambox safely and securely requires you to connect to a server in the US. You’ll also require a decent amount of bandwidth for smooth and seamless streaming. Free VPNs offer a poor selection of servers (usually only one or two) in a limited number of locations and regularly engage in bandwidth throttling. You might also have to wait in a queue before you can connect to your chosen server.
Free VPNs can be a threat to user privacy. Some have been caught inserting tracking cookies in browsers, mining user data, and selling it to third-party advertisers. At the minimum, you should be prepared for an overload of invasive advertisements and other migraine-inducing content. We think it’s in your best interests to avoid.
How to Watch Screambox Outside the US with a VPN
Connecting to a VPN and enjoying Screambox is a fairly simple process. Follow our step-by-step guide below to get started. Here’s how to unblock Screambox with a VPN:
- Choose the best VPN for Screambox, we highly recommend NordVPN. Select a subscription and register your details.
- Download the VPN app on your chosen device and log in
- Select a VPN server in your preferred location and click connect
- Log in to Screambox and use it as you normally would
- That’s it! You should now be able to watch anything on Screambox. Still having issues? Try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies then reloading the page.
Setting up a VPN couldn’t be simpler. If you are having any problems with the steps above or in unblocking Screambox, then make sure to get in touch with your VPN’s customer support.
Screambox VPN FAQ
What other devices can I use to view Screambox?
Other than PCs, Macs, iOS devices, and Android devices, Screambox is compatible with the following devices:
- Amazon FireTV
- Xbox One
Native support for these devices is unavailable at the moment, so it’s not possible to simply download the software and let the VPN provider do the rest. However, workarounds exist.
One of the ways to get VPN support is by leveraging it on a virtual router — this is possible because any PC with a wifi card can also transmit its own wifi signals, similar to how smartphones can set up wifi hotspots.
If you’re looking to install a VPN on Chromecast, you can read our guide on how to do just that.
You can also set up a VPN on a physical router if the firmware supports it. One such firmware is DD-WRT, a free and open-source option that works on a wide range of router models. Learn more about DD-WRT and the best VPNs for it here.
What Can You Watch on Screambox?
Screambox isn’t for audiences looking to stream mainstream horror flicks. The service is focused on indie titles that are unavailable on Netflix, Hulu, or even at your local cinema.
This makes it a treat for novelty film aficionados. Some of the titles you’ll find here are:
- A Wise Fool
- A Grim Becoming
- Black Candles
- Bite Marks
- Dark Exorcism
This definitely isn’t an exhaustive list of titles, but it gives you an idea of what’s available.
What else can I do with a VPN?
The core use case for a VPN is to protect your privacy and anonymity, thereby eliminating your digital footprint.