A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can be a useful tool regardless of your physical location. Whether you’re in Barbados or overseas, a VPN can hide your online activities from hackers and snoopers. Visitors to Barbados can use a VPN to regain access to region-locked streaming services, social media platforms, news sites, and online banking services from back home.
So how does it all work? Quite simply, a VPN is a service through which you connect to a server in your preferred location. This may be a server in the US, for example. In doing so, you’re assigned a new, temporary IP address (while your real IP address and location are hidden). All internet traffic is encrypted in the process. This allows you to spoof your location and access region-locked content, be it your online banking account or a popular streaming service.
In this post, we review the best VPNs for Barbados, outlining their features as well as their pros and cons. Need to make a quick decision? Below is a quick overview of the best Barbados VPNs.
Best VPNs for Barbados:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Barbados. Servers in dozens of countries, the US included. Fast and works well with Netflix. Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers available.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN for Barbados. Fast for streaming and over 3,000 servers in 100 countries. Strict no-logs provider that lets you connect all of your devices at once.
- ExpressVPN: Excellent unblocker of content and has unlimited bandwidth for streaming. Now offers servers in over 100 counties. Highly secure.
- CyberGhost: Vast server network (nearly 10,000 servers in 100 countries) and very fast server speeds. Works with Netflix US. Secure seven devices simultaneously.
- IPVanish: Particularly fast speeds for streaming from Barbados. A lot of US servers. Connect all of your devices at once. Independently audited no-logs policy
- PrivateVPN: Excellent unblocker of streaming services. Connect to servers in 60 countries from Barbados. No-logs VPN with free remote help and installation.
- Atlas VPN: Fast server speeds and works with many streaming services. No limit to the number of devices you can connect. Blocks malware.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Barbados with no restrictions for a month. This makes it an excellent choice if you’re in Barbados for a few weeks and need to access your usual content from home.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Our criteria for the best Barbados VPNs
Despite the ever-growing number of VPNs on the market, many fall far short of requirements. Before we dive into the reviews of the best VPNs for Barbados, here’s an idea of the criteria we were looking each VPN to fulfill in order to be selected:
- Servers in countries worldwide
- Absolutely no bandwidth throttling
- Military-grade encryption to secure data
- Private with no identifying logs of users
- Live chat and email support
- Risk-free money-back guarantee
Best VPNs for Barbados
Here’s more detail
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice VPN for Barbados. It has a vast network of nearly 6,000 servers at the time of writing. These servers are spread across some 60 countries including the US, UK, and Australia. Like most VPNs, NordVPN doesn’t have servers in Barbados but you can use the quick connect feature to find the best available server in a single click. This is one of the fastest VPNs available, making it suitable for streaming; it works with Netflix, Hulu, and more.
With NordVPN, you have the choice of specialty servers including those optimized for P2P filesharing, video streaming, and Double VPN for two layers of encryption. This VPN takes your security seriously as evidenced by its use of ChaCha20 (NordLynx/WireGuard) and AES-256 (OpenVPN). It’s protected from DNS and IPv6 leaks that reveal your location, and has a kill switch that cuts off the internet if the VPN connection drops. NordVPN doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users and, if you need help, 24-hour live chat support is available.
NordVPN apps are offered for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are also available. NordVPN supports a wide range of routers, although they require manual setup.
- Almost 6,000 servers spread across 60 countries
- Very fast server speeds for lag and buffer-free streaming
- Works well with the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- Specialty servers including P2P and Onion Over VPN
- No identifying logs of users
- 24/7 live chat and email support
- Expensive if you’re only looking to subscribe for a single month
BEST VPN FOR BARBADOS:NordVPN is our #1 choice. It has servers in 60 countries and provides very fast, consistent speeds for streaming and torrenting. Specialty P2P servers available. Secure up to six devices at once. 24/7 support included. You can try NordVPN risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is one of an increasing number of VPNs to adopt the WireGuard protocol, seeing much improved connection speeds as a result. It’s more than fast enough for streaming in 1080p HD and even 4K resolution. Surfshark’s servers can be found in 100 countries (including the US, Bahamas, and Puerto Rico) which is far more than most rival VPNs. The network consists of more than 3,000 servers, so there’s almost always a fast server close to your location.
If you’d like to share your VPN with family members in your household, Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Security consists of high-end encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. If that’s not enough, then connect to one of Surfshark’s MultiHop servers for two or more layers of protection. Surfshark adheres to a true no-logs policy.
You’ll find Surfshark apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux), mobile (Android and iOS), and Amazon Fire TV. It also has Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions. It’s even possible to manually install Surfshark on compatible wifi routers.
- Provides servers in 100 countries including the US
- More than fast enough for streaming and torrenting
- Works with over 30 Netflix libraries in all
- No limit to the number of devices you can connect at once
- Extra security in the form of MultiHop servers
- Some features only available with a more expensive subscription tier
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark provides 3,000+ servers in 100 countries, including several locations near Barbados. Strong security. MultiHop servers. Great value for money. No connection limit. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN recently expanded its server network and its thousands of servers are now spread across 105 countries. You can find servers further afield such as the US, Canada, and the UK, as well as some closer to Barbados (Trinidad & Tobago, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela). ExpressVPN’s unlimited bandwidth and ability to bypass geo-blocking makes it a great choice for streaming. In fact, it’s compatible with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and more.
Connecting to an ExpressVPN server ensures your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. The apps include a kill switch and protection from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. A no-logs VPN provider, ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs you can use to evade censorship. So if you travel from Barbados to China or the UAE, you’ll be able to browse as normal thanks to its obfuscated servers. ExpressVPN has excellent support available around the clock via live chat.
You can use ExpressVPN via its apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Extensions are available for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers. ExpressVPN stands out from many other VPNs because it has custom firmware for quicker and easier router setup.
- Servers available in more than 100 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth makes it ideal for streaming
- Compatible with streaming platforms such as Netflix
- Obfuscated servers for bypassing censorship
- Quality customer support available around the clock
- Slightly more expensive than many of its rivals
RELIABLE UNBLOCKER: ExpressVPN has a growing network of servers that now covers 105 countries worldwide. Good, consistent connections and very reliable for bypassing content restrictions. Up to 8 simultaneous connections are allowed. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost sets itself apart from most VPN services with its huge server network. This is made up of nearly 10,000 servers in approximately 100 countries. It has a particularly large presence in the US (roughly 1,300 servers) which allows you to easily access and stream Netflix US, ESPN+, and HBO Max from Barbados or anywhere else in the world. CyberGhost comfortably ranks as one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, so streaming should be buffer-free.
Aside from fast speeds, CyberGhost provides strong security. All of your internet traffic is routed through an encrypted tunnel and a kill switch is available on both the desktop and mobile apps. CyberGhost offers protection from DNS leaks too. Thanks to CyberGhost’s no-logs policy, you don’t need to worry about third parties getting their hands on your data. With a single account, you can secure up to seven devices at the same time.
To use CyberGhost, download and install one of its apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, or Amazon Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox extensions are also available. To use this VPN with a router, you’ll need to manually configure the connection.
- Huge network of nearly 10,000 servers (in 100 countries)
- Very fast server speeds means no performance issues
- No-logs policy that helps ensure the protection of your privacy
- Can be used on up to seven devices at the same time
- Provides a Windows security suite complete with antivirus
- You won’t be able to use it from some countries (such as China)
VAST SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has a network that approaches 10,000 servers in 100 countries. Makes our list of the fastest VPNs, so it’s ideal for streaming from Barbados and when traveling abroad. No-logs VPN with comprehensive security. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish averaged speeds of 277 Mbps in our most recent tests. As such, you can expect to stream, torrent, and play online games from Barbados without issue. Its server network has grown a great deal in recent months too. IPVanish now has over 2,000 servers, some 1,400 of which are in the US (across roughly two dozen cities). So if you’re looking to access US streaming services such as Netflix, you’ll have plenty of servers to choose from.
24-hour live chat and email support is at hand should you run into any issues. When it comes to security, IPVanish uses military-grade encryption to secure your data. Apps come with a kill switch and DNS leak protection. Unlike many VPNs, the no-logs policy of IPVanish has been independently audited. This provides peace of mind that your data won’t be shared with anyone.
Secure all of your devices simultaneously through the IPVanish apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Linux and select routers are supported, but you’ll need to configure the connection manually.
- Growing network of servers (over 2,000 available)
- High-speed connections and no bandwidth throttling
- Connect all of your devices at the same time
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Operates out of the US which is a member of Five Eyes
- Doesn’t provide any anonymous payment options
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish doesn’t impose a limit on the number of devices you can secure at the same time. It has a steadily growing server network (2,000+ and counting) and its no-logs policy has been independently audited. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is one of the better options for streaming from abroad. It works with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer, among others. While it doesn’t have a lot of servers (a little over 200 in all), there are plenty of server locations including in multiple cities across the US. As such, you should still be able to find a fast server while in Barbados.
If you’re looking for a VPN to browse anonymously from Barbados, know that PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs — not even connection logs. Furthermore, security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. PrivateVPN stands out for its beginner-friendly apps, quality customer support (which isn’t outsourced to a third party), and free remote help and installation. Up to 10 simultaneous connections are allowed per account.
PrivateVPN has apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. You can also find an app for Amazon Fire TV. PrivateVPN provides manual setup instructions for setting up the VPN on a home router.
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Servers in the US for fast browsing from Barbados
- Absolutely no logs (not even connection logs)
- Now allows up to 10 simultaneous connections per account
- Much smaller network of servers (just over 200 in all)
POWERFUL UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN can securely access Netflix and Prime Video in Barbados and while traveling. Unlimited bandwidth and lets you connect 10 devices at once. True no-logs policy and quality customer support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Atlas VPN is well-suited to bandwidth-intensive activities, be it streaming or playing online games. It averaged 270 Mbps in our latest tests and works very well with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more. Atlas VPN has over 1,000 servers for you to choose from, and you can find them in several dozen countries, the US included.
Most VPNs allow you to connect up to a handful of devices simultaneously. Atlas VPN allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Security features include strong encryption, a kill switch (available on all apps), and DNS leak protection. It offers some extras such as MultiHop servers and a malware blocker. Atlas VPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified.
You can find Atlas VPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. It doesn’t offer any browser extensions or router support yet.
- Makes our list of the fastest VPNs on the market
- Very consistent at accessing Netflix, Disney+, etc.
- Secure as many devices as you like at the same time
- Offers MultiHop servers as well as a malware blocker
- No support for routers
- Doesn’t offer browser extensions
SECURITY EXTRAS:Atlas VPN is fast and has servers in dozens of countries, the US included. Access streaming platforms like Netflix from Barbados. Connect all of your devices at once. MultiHop servers and a malware blocker included. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Testing methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Barbados
Some people want a VPN that allows them to browse anonymously, and others may want one to unblock a specific streaming service. We took a wide range of factors into account in looking for the best VPNs for Barbados. Our testing methodology details the key criteria each VPN had to meet in order to be selected:
- Servers worldwide: Very few VPNs offer servers in Barbados but all of the best VPNs for Barbados have servers in dozens of countries. These include countries closer to Barbados such as Trinidad & Tobago and Venezuela. You can unblock a wide range of content and find servers close to your physical location for a faster connection.
- Fast connections: Chances are you’ll want to use your VPN not only for browsing, but for streaming. Some VPNs are too slow for streaming which can result in low resolution and excessive buffering. We found the fastest VPNs through comprehensive speed tests. All our recommendations offer unlimited bandwidth.
- Strong security: When you connect to a VPN, your data is encrypted. However, not all VPNs will do this properly, which could leave you vulnerable to security threats. We look for VPNs that offer, at a minimum, high-end encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Some even offer extras such as Double VPN servers for two layers of encryption.
- Privacy protection: A Virtual Private Network, as the name suggests, should offer a layer of privacy by hiding your true IP address and online activity. We also expect each VPN to operate a no-logs policy. We looked at 140 VPN logging policies, only recommending those that don’t keep identifying logs of users.
- Beginner-friendly: This may be your first time using a VPN service, in which case, the more user-friendly its apps are, the better! Our testing of each VPN involves extensive hands-on time with each VPN’s apps. We only recommend VPNs that are quick and easy to use. All of them offer live chat and email support.
- Value for money: While you can find many other VPNs that offer some of the above, many are more expensive than those we’ve listed. The best VPNs for Barbados are affordable with multiple subscription options for you to choose from. You can save even more by taking advantage of the VPN discount links in this post.
You can find out more about how we analyze VPNs in areas such as speed, security, and unblocking in our VPN testing methodology post.
How use a VPN in Barbados
A VPN helps secure your browsing (and streaming) experience in Barbados or any other location you travel to. Better still, getting set up and connected is quick and easy. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Here’s how to use a VPN for Barbados:
- Sign up with one of the best VPNs for Barbados. As our reviews show, we particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app that’s compatible with your streaming device. This process only takes a minute or two.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in the location of the website or service you want to access. For example, a VPN server in the US for accessing Hulu.
- Your internet traffic is now encrypted, you’ve been assigned a temporary IP address, and you should also be able to bypass restrictions on content.
- Still can’t access a particular website? Clearing your cookies should help the change in your IP address take effect. In some cases, you may need to try more than one server.
Can I use a free VPN for Barbados?
There are many free VPNs available today and while you can use one, we don’t recommend it for a few reasons. For starters, if you use a free VPN, you’ll be limited by the small number of servers and server locations. This makes it more difficult to find a fast server close to your location in Barbados. It prevents you from being able to unblock a lot of region-locked online content.
If you want to use a free VPN for anything other than browsing, you may struggle due to slow, over-congested servers and bandwidth throttling. The result is performance issues causing lag-filled streaming, high-ping gaming, and very slow downloads. Many free VPNs fall far short in terms of security too, failing to properly encrypt user data. Some even log and sell your browsing data. Overall, free VPNs aren’t worth the risk regardless of your location.
VPNs for Barbados: FAQs
Is it legal to use a VPN in Barbados?
Even if you’re in a country where VPNs are legal, such as Barbados, using them for illegal activities (such as torrenting copyrighted material) is still against the law and may result in legal repercussions.
How do I get a Barbados IP address?
Very few VPNs offer servers in Barbados. Some of the best VPNs for Barbados as listed in this post offer servers in nearby countries including Puerto Rico, Trinidad & Tobago, and Venezuela. Connecting to servers in such countries should give you a fast connection.
PureVPN is a respectable VPN provider that does have servers in Bridgetown, Barbados. By connecting to one of its six servers in Barbados, you can get a Barbados IP address.
Will my ISP be able to tell that I’m using a VPN?
Although your ISP can tell if you’re using a VPN, it won’t be able to see what you’re doing online while connected. This is assuming you’re using a quality VPN service that is properly configured and doesn’t leak any data. Instead, all your ISP can see is that you’re connected to a specific IP address (the VPN server). Due to the fact that VPNs are legal in Barbados, you shouldn’t have any complaints from your ISP for using a VPN.
Will a VPN slow my internet connection?
A VPN routes your internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel to its own server before the traffic is sent to its destination (the website or service you’re accessing). This can slow your connection to an extent. In some cases, such as with free VPNs, you’ll notice significantly slower speeds. However, the best VPNs for Barbados all make our list of the fastest VPNs on the market. They use fast VPN protocols such as WireGuard and don’t throttle your bandwidth.
Providing you use the VPNs listed in this post and connect to a server closer to your location (so that data doesn’t have to travel as far), you should still be able to browse, stream, torrent, and play online games as usual without any noticeable dip in performance.