There are an estimated 8,000+ online dating sites available, with the majority of users flocking to well-known options like Tinder, which controlled 32% of the U.S. market in January 2022. Although very useful for finding love, dating sites also come with risks. One way you can mitigate some of these risks – and improve your user experience – is by using a VPN.
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) will allow you to bypass restrictions with a number of popular dating sites. Many online dating services are blocked by school, college, or workplace wifi networks, some are unavailable in certain countries around the world, while some sites place restrictions on the geographical area you can set as your range. A VPN can help you bypass these issues while also keeping your online activities safe from prying eyes.
In this post, we’ll explain how to use a VPN with dating sites and also list the best VPNs for the job. We’ll go into more detail about each later on, but in case you’re short on time, here’s a quick summary.
The best VPNs for dating sites:
- NordVPN: Our top VPN for online dating. NordVPN is fast and secure, with a large selection of servers in 60+ countries that are perfect for accessing online dating sites. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Our top-budget VPN for online dating. No connection limits, thousands of servers, top security and privacy features.
- ExpressVPN: Another premium VPN that gives access to multiple online dating sites. Fast connection speeds, strong encryption. 24/7 live customer service.
- CyberGhost: Great beginner-friendly provider. Vast server network. Solid privacy features, capable of unblocking lots of dating sites and apps.
- IPVanish: Speedy self-owned servers in 50+ countries. Secure enough for online dating, torrenting, browsing, and streaming.
- PrivateVPN: Swedish provider that performs very well despite a smaller network. allows up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- AtlasVPN: Relatively new provider with great unlocking abilities, fast speeds, and reliable connections. No device limits.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP DATING VPN RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for dating sites with no restrictions for a month.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPNs for dating sites: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for dating sites.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Dating Sites||1||2||3||4||5||6||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||9,300||2,200+||200+||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
The best VPNs for dating sites
There are hundreds of VPN providers on the market, but they don’t all provide the same level of service. We’ve picked out the best VPNs for dating sites according to the following criteria:
- The ability to unblock and access major dating sites
- Strong encryption across all devices
- Lots of servers in different locations worldwide
- Offers high speeds and reliable connections
- Has apps for all major platforms, including Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS
- Secures your web traffic and keeps no logs of user data
You can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs we recommend in our methodology section below. For now, let’s take a look at the ones that made the cut.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for dating sites:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top pick if you need a reliable provider for dating sites. The VPN has been operating in the online security sector for over a decade, picking up a wealth of experience when it comes to accessing blocked websites and services. It has over 5,500 ultra-fast servers in 60+ countries, ensuring that local dating apps and sites will always be only a few clicks away. The same goes for a wide range of streaming services, including US Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
It’s also ideal if you want to keep your dating life private. The service keeps no logs, and it uses 256-bit AES encryption coupled with 2,048-bit SSL keys. NordVPN offers DNS leak protection as standard and can be used safely in regions like the UAE and Dubai.
As well as apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android, there’s Linux support, along with Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Six devices can be used with a single account simultaneously.
- Great for unblocking dating sites and apps
- Strong security and privacy features
- Blisteringly fast connection speeds
- Over 5,500 ultra-fast servers
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Based in Panama (a country great for privacy)
- Minor lag with desktop apps
BEST VPN SERVICE FOR DATING SITES:NordVPN is our top recommendation for accessing a range of blocked sites and services. Superb speeds and security features. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of NordVPN here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a viable alternative if you’re looking for a budget VPN that ticks all of the boxes for online dating. With over 3,200 servers in 100+ countries and exceptional connection speeds, it works to unblock dating apps like Tinder from abroad, along with various international streaming platforms like Hulu and BBC iPlayer.
Surfshark logs no identifiable data, and it doesn’t scrimp on security. Sturdy 256-bit AES encryption will keep your data secure. It offers malware scanning, as well as a kill switch, and protection against IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks. It works in the UAE and China, so you’ll be able to connect to sites safely from almost anywhere in the world.
You’ll find native app support for MacOS, iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux devices, as well as Chrome and Firefox versions. Another perk is that it can be used with unlimited simultaneous devices, further lowering the cost of a single account if shared.
- Unblocks dating apps and sites from abroad
- Unlimited simultaneous devices with one account
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Accepts cryptocurrencies for anonymous payments
- Additional security and privacy features
- Advanced settings can be tough to locate
BEST VALUE VPN FOR DATING SITES:Surfshark will handle all of your VPN needs, and it’s hard to find many faults despite the low price tag. Unlimited device connections and strong security. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a brilliant all-purpose provider that never seems to come unstuck when accessing blocked sites or services. It’s perfect if you’re in need of a VPN for dating sites, even if the price tag is a little higher than the competition. The higher price tag is offset by excellent speeds and numerous security features.
Based in the British Virgin Islands, the service benefits from servers in 94 countries, which allows you to access dating sites in a range of different locations. It’s one of the best VPNs for beginners and comes with 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, DNS protection, and superb customer service.
You’ll find capable apps available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and more. A monthly subscription gains you five simultaneous devices, but this number goes up to eight with long-term subscriptions.
- Wide network of servers in 94+ countries
- Consistently unblocks a range of online sites and services
- Speedy connections with unlimited data
- Great customer service is available 24/7
- High-grade encryption, security, and privacy
- One of the more expensive providers overall
- Lack of advanced configuration options
GREAT UNBLOCKING ABILITIES:ExpressVPN is a reliable service for online dating, with quick speeds and the ability to unblock lots of sites and services worldwide. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has one of the largest networks overall, with over 9,000 VPN servers located in 90+ countries backed by speeds fast enough for 4K streaming. It’s a great choice for accessing online dating platforms, no matter where you are in the world.
It also scores highly in terms of privacy, with the company headquartered in Romania, so it’s not subject to any mandatory data retention laws. CyberGhost uses 256-bit AES encryption by default and keeps no identifying user logs. It has a kill switch as standard and offers the speedy WireGuard protocol.
Customer service is top-notch, while apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, and Android. CyberGhost allows for up to seven simultaneous connections, so you’ll be able to use an account with various devices. It’s also highly affordable when looking at its longer subscriptions and comes with a generous 45-day money back guarantee.
- Vast server network of over 9,000 in 90+ countries
- Speedy and reliable connections
- Intuitive Android and iOS apps
- Keeps Zero logs
- 24/7 live chat support
- Doesn’t work reliably from China or the UAE
- May not be the best option for power users
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY VPN:CyberGhost is easy to use and has a huge, speedy network of servers to choose from. Strong security and privacy protocols. Comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full user review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a leading provider with 2,000+ servers that are optimized for streaming and stability. This makes it another viable option for accessing dating sites with absolutely no issues. Its server network spans 75+ VPN locations and works to access platforms like Netflix and HBO Max with no hassle. It’s also one of the few providers that owns and operates all of its physical hardware rather than renting it from a third party.
The service keeps no record or logs of VPN use and offers DNS leak protection, unbreakable 256-bit encryption, and a kill switch to keep your dating habits private.
You’ll find IPVanish apps for iOS and Android, along with desktop clients for Windows and macOS. Best of all, you’ll be able to use one account with an unlimited number of simultaneous devices. It’s a perk not often seen with budget providers.
- Can be used to access lots of blocked content
- Quick speeds and reliable connections
- No-logs VPN
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Struggles to connect in China
- Based in the USA
CAPABLE VPN NETWORK:IPVanish is affordable, trustworthy, and reasonably powerful. Unlimited devices. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee for added peace of mind.
Read our full review of IPVanish to find out more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has opted for quality over quantity, with a dedicated selection of 200+ servers and locations in 60+ countries that can be used to access numerous dating apps, along with various other geo-restricted services. This includes the likes of Disney Plus and Netflix US, with impressive speeds that are more than quick enough for streaming.
The Swedish provider offers perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch (for Windows), DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and the choice between 128-bit or 256-bit encryption. A strict no-logs policy ensures that your data is safe and secure at all times.
You’ll find native apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS, and you’ll be able to connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. It’s Kodi-friendly, but live chat isn’t available 24/7.
- Great Android/iOS apps
- Fast and reliable servers for consistent connections
- Keeps no user-identifiable logs
- Fewer servers to choose from
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
UNDERRATED DATING VPN:PrivateVPN is a smaller provider that still manages to get the job done, whether it’s online dating or streaming. 10 simultaneous devices, strict logging policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is a fast and reliable provider with apps for PC, Mac, Android, and iOS, which can be used to access a range of streaming platforms, as well as popular dating sites. You’ll be able to use unlimited devices simultaneously with Atlas VPN while benefiting from uncrackable encryption and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks.
Despite being a newer provider compared to the others on the list, Atlas VPN has extra security features such as MultiHop servers. It’s one of the fastest providers overall, and it comes with a strict no-logs policy. However, it only offers 750 servers across 44 locations.
You’ll be able to get in contact 24/7 over live chat, although it probably won’t work in China.
- Simple to use
- No logs policy
- Unlimited simultaneous devices
- Doesn’t work in China
- Smaller server network compared to other providers
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:AtlasVPN is great for streaming and unblocking online services, dating sites included. High-speed servers and WireGuard protocol. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more in our AtlasVPN review.
How to use a VPN with dating sites
It’s quick and easy to access dating sites with a VPN, even if you’ve never used one before. Just follow the simple steps below, and you’ll be browsing securely in no time.
Here’s how to use a VPN with dating sites from anywhere in the world:
- Sign up with one of the VPN services listed above to begin. We recommend NordVPN for online dating. Make a note of your login details, and download the VPN app to your device.
- Open the app, and enter your login details.
- Select a server in the location of your choice – for example, in a country where the dating site is not blocked. Many VPNs also have the option of a Recommended Server found nearby, which will suit if you’re just trying to bypass restrictions on your local network.
- You should now have a relevant IP address (check here).
- Clear your cookies and your browser cache. This will remove any data stored during previous sessions, so the dating site won’t remember you.
- Open the dating site or app that was previously blocked. You should now be able to log in and send messages with your new IP address.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for dating sites
With so many VPNs to choose from, which is best for accessing blocked dating sites from anywhere with no hassle? Here are the criteria we used when creating our list of the best VPNs for dating sites, with a brief description of why each one is important:
- Unblocking dating apps: The VPN must have the ability to unblock multiple dating sites and apps. Additionally, will it access streaming services like Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and ESPN+ from anywhere in the world?
- Speeds: We’ve tested download speeds by checking out how the VPNs perform when connected to various servers in different locations. You’ll never be disconnected unexpectedly due to lag or buffering.
- Privacy and security: The VPN must have a no-logs policy, ensuring that it doesn’t record what you do online and keeps no identifying information while you’re connected. A combination of 256-bit encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch will keep your online dating habits private and secure.
- Ease of use: The VPN needs to have apps for the most popular operating systems. The apps should be user-friendly and may come with 24/7 customer support or a lack of connection limits.
- Device compatibility: Many dating sites and apps are mobile-only, so we make sure to recommend VPNs that perform well on iOS and Android devices.
- Value for money: Each of the providers listed above offers deals that come with a significant discount for longer subscriptions. The VPNs we recommend all offer a risk-free money-back guarantee, some have free trials, and we’ll only recommend services that are fairly priced.
Free VPNs for dating sites
It’s always tempting to try and find a free service rather than shelling out for yet another subscription. But we would advise against it when it comes to VPNs.
The majority of free VPNs are blocked by dating sites. And, even if you do find one that works, speeds and bandwidth are likely to be capped, leading to waiting times and a frustrating user experience. It’s also worth noting that free VPNs are rarely truly free. You might end up paying in different ways, such as if the provider collects your data to sell on to third parties.
Free VPNs may also inadvertently pose a security risk. They rarely have strong security or encryption standards and often lack basic features such as DNS leak protection or a kill switch. Take Hong Kong-based UFO VPN, which were found to have exposed millions of user logs in 2020. The leaks included ‘plain text passwords and information that could be used to identify VPN users.’
Instead, we’d advise you to choose a reputable VPN provider and make use of their money-back guarantee to ensure you’ve got a quality product before committing long-term.
Best VPNs for dating sites: FAQ
Why use a VPN for dating sites?
A VPN will unblock dating sites and apps by encrypting your internet connection and assigning you a new IP address. You can then use the dating app privately and from a lactation of your choice. This is ideal if you’re unable to access your usual dating site or service from abroad or if you plan to meet up with people from a different region. Additionally, a dating site might be blocked by your ISP or the government, or you might have been unfairly banned from service. A VPN can help you bypass these issues.
You’ll also be better protected in terms of privacy and data security, which makes sense, given the personal nature of online dating.
Why do dating sites block VPNs?
Dating services want to ensure that the people using their sites are who they say they are. They want to verify that a user is using their real location data, helping to keep scammers and catfish off of their platforms. In order to do this, they detect and block VPNs. This is understandable but doesn’t help the average user who wants to use a VPN for legitimate reasons – such as continuing to use their home dating services while on vacation.
Blocks may also be enforced by your internet service provider due to government censorship. The concept of online dating is alien in some cultures and outright illegal in others. They can also be blocked by your work, school, or college wifi networks in an attempt to remove distractions.
Can I change my profile location with a VPN?
It depends on the dating site or app you’re using. For example, you used to be able to spoof your location on Tinder using a VPN, but the company attempted to put a stop to changing your IP when it introduced Tinder Passport, a paid feature that replicates this functionality.