Hawaii is known for its sun, sea, and sandy beaches, making it an ideal location for tourists and locals to sit back and enjoy a taste of paradise. However, Hawaii is subject to the same Five Eyes surveillance as the rest of the US, and internet usage is visible to ISPs. Fortunately, you can use the best VPNs for Hawaii to encrypt your traffic to hide your online activities.
Additionally, you can use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access your favorite home content from Hawaii. For example, if you’re visiting Hawaii from the UK and want to watch BBC iPlayer, a VPN with a UK IP address will let you access the streaming provider.
Whatever your reason for using a VPN, we’ve provided a quick roundup of the best VPNs for Hawaii below, with in-depth reviews later in this guide:
- NordVPN: Our #1 VPN for Hawaii. Over 5000 servers worldwide, including servers in the US. Solid security credentials and excellent speeds.
- Surfshark: The most affordable VPN for Hawaii with unlimited device connections, servers in 99 countries, and a zero-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: Ultrafast connection speeds with a quality network of servers in 94 countries and 256-bit AES encryption.
- CyberGhost: Dedicated servers for streaming and gaming in Hawaii, strict logging policy, and plenty of US servers.
- Private VPN: Small provider with excellent unblocking ability, no logs, and AES encryption.
- AtlasVPN: Unlimited device connections, 24/7 support, multi-hop servers, and zero-logs policy.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Hawaii with no restrictions for a month—great if you still want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for Hawaii
Hawaii locals and visitors alike will have various requirements when considering a VPN that ticks all boxes. At a minimum, we take the following considerations on board before recommending VPNs:
- The provider has a verified no-logs policy
- Can unblock popular streaming services
- Anonymity is preserved with shared IP addresses
- 256-bit encryption is used to keep user privacy watertight
- Extra privacy features like a network kill switch and leak protection are a bonus
Our testing process is a little more in-depth than the above points, but we’ll discuss this later in this guide.
Here is our list of the best VPNs for Hawaii:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top VPN for Hawaii thanks to its solid privacy offering, servers in 59+ countries, including the US, and lightning-fast connection speeds. It’s also the most popular VPN on the market, with over 5000 servers worldwide.
The Panama-based provider is also a top choice for streaming thanks to its ability to access Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer from anywhere. It also has a zero-logs policy so your browsing history will stay private even when using a public WiFi network.
NordVPN supports router installation, which is perfect for those wanting to keep their entire home network secure. It allows five simultaneous connections and makes apps for desktop, Android, and iOS devices. Includes 24/7 live chat support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Huge range of servers to choose from, along with servers optimized for specific purposes
- Fast enough for HD streaming and unblocks popular content
- Round-the-clock chat support
- Default security settings and privacy considerations are above standard
- A no-hassle money-back guarantee
- Desktop apps can take a while to connect
BEST VPN FOR HAWAII:NordVPN has servers in 59+ countries, a network kill switch, and router support.
Read our full NordVPN review here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our budget choice for Hawaii, thanks to its low pricing, unlimited device connections, and no-logs policy. In addition, the provider has a network of servers located in 99+ countries, including the US, that will help you access local websites while on vacation.
Surfshark also has a network kill switch to stop your traffic in case of an unexpected dropout, which is another handy feature if you’re using public WiFi while on vacation. It also uses NoBorders and Camouflage Mode to help you access your favorite content in places like China that use heavy internet censorship.
Surfshark has apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android, perfect for those wanting to protect all their devices while on vacation. The provider also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and 24/7 live chat support if you need help choosing the right VPN server location or want assistance getting set up.
- Thousands of worldwide servers
- Powerful security features
- Spotless privacy record
- Unblocks many major streaming platforms
- Connect all of your devices at once
- Some features require Surfshark One, a paid addon
BUDGET CHOICE:Surfshark has a network of 3200+ servers, unlimited connections, and double obfuscation.
Read our full Surfshark review here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is another excellent choice if you’re traveling to Hawaii. The provider has servers in 94 countries, meaning you can enjoy content from all over the world, including local content from the US.
This VPN also has a superb network of lightning-fast servers that will ensure your connection speeds are stable—very important if you’re trying to watch content on the go. Additional privacy features like a kill switch and leak protection make ExpressVPN a solid choice for Hawaii.
ExpressVPN adheres to a strict no-logs policy, which is crucial if you’re concerned about your online privacy. The VPN also has 24/7 live chat support and a 30-day money-back guarantee to help you get started.
- High-grade security features and no logs policy protects your privacy
- Apps are slick and easy to use
- 24hr chat support staff are great for working through any issues.
- Hundreds of low-latency servers to choose from
- Impressive speeds
- Desktop app needs installing for browser apps
- Not the cheapest provider in this list
FASTEST VPN:ExpressVPN includes DNS leak protection, a network kill switch, and servers in 94+ countries.
Read our full ExpressVPN review here.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is our next recommended VPN for Hawaii, thanks to its simple setup process, fast servers, and excellent security credentials. The provider has servers in over 80 countries, including US locations in California, Florida, and New York.
The provider also has a no-logs policy to keep your internet activity private. This VPN is supported by 256-bit AES encryption and DNS leak protection, which is perfect for Hawaii’s privacy-conscious population.
A standout feature is its dedicated streaming and gaming servers that offer optimized speed and privacy for these activities.
- Easy to use, select activity type and be connected to the most appropriate server
- Good server representation in the US
- Seven devices simultaneous connection allowance
- Very good speeds
- No router support
- May be less suitable for power users
BEGINNER FRIENDLY:CyberGhost has dedicated servers for streaming and gaming, 256-bit encryption, and a kill switch.
Read our full CyberGhost review here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is one of the smaller VPN providers on our list, with around 200 servers in 63 countries, though this does include US servers. PrivateVPN lets us access Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and more from anywhere without any issues.
It has one of the most straightforward apps to get you connected, with support for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices. In addition, PrivateVPN offers up to ten device connections at a time.
As you’d expect, PrivateVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption to help keep your data safe while on the go and has a no-logs policy to keep you private. The provider also offers live chat support with helpful agents available around the clock.
- Unblocks a wide range of Netflix country catalogs
- 24/7/265 live support
- New and growing network with fast servers
- Can be configured to work with a home wifi router
- Works with Linux but requires manual configuration
- Much smaller network than some of its rivals
EXCELLENT UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN has 200+ servers globally, operates a no-logs policy, and includes 24/7 support.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a popular choice for Hawaii VPN users as it includes unlimited device connections, multi-hop servers, and a network kill switch. While its network isn’t as vast as other providers, with servers in just over 40 locations, its server speeds are impressive.
AtlasVPN makes short work of accessing streaming sites that impose geo-restrictions, so you can change your region on Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu.
This provider has apps for all major platforms, includes 24/7 support, and has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Free live chat-based support
- Offers some interesting security tools
- Quick enough for 4K streaming
- Versatile no-logs VPN
- No Linux or router support
- Lacks the number of servers versus competitors
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:WireGuard protocol supports ultrafast streaming, split tunneling, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our AtlasVPN review.
Selecting the best VPNs for Hawaii – Our methodology
Before we add a VPN to our list of recommended providers, we put them through an extensive testing process that goes a little like this:
- Server locations: We look for VPNs that have servers in the US and other places around the world. This helps us provide a reliable VPN service no matter where you’re located in Hawaii.
- Speed: The last thing we want is internet speeds that are slower than dial-up, so we make sure our recommended VPNs for Hawaii have super speedy servers that deliver consistent download and upload speeds.
- Unblocking: To ensure we pick VPNs that help you access your favorite streaming services, such as US Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu, we test these sites while connected to our recommended VPNs. If a VPN unblocks the site from where we’re located, it makes its way onto our list.
- Protocols: We want a good selection of VPN protocols on offer, so users can choose what works best. We look for providers that offer Wireguard, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, IKEv2, and/or SSTP.
- Apps: While some VPNs don’t offer much in the way of apps, we like to recommend providers that have a decent selection for Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows users.
- Security: When looking at security, we test whether DNS leaks are present, in addition to assessing the encryption used by each provider.
- Ease of use: In our view, the VPN market is too overloaded with options, so we recommend providers that offer a user-friendly experience for first-time users and those who are more advanced.
- Value: We have high expectations of VPN providers, so we look for anything at a good price.
- Customer support: We test each VPN’s customer support service to make sure it’s easy to get in touch with them and that they respond quickly.
There’s more to it than the steps above, and you can learn more from our VPN testing guide.
Hawaii VPN FAQs
Are VPNs legal in Hawaii?
Yes, VPNs are legal in Hawaii. There are no specific laws against using a VPN in Hawaii, and VPNs are not currently banned by any ISPs in the state. This means you can use a VPN to protect your online privacy and security without worrying about breaking the law. However, we always recommend checking with your VPN provider to ensure their service is legal in your country before using it.
Can I use a free VPN in Hawaii?
Some free VPNs work in Hawaii, but they often limit the bandwidth you can use or the number of server locations you can connect to. This means that you might be unable to stream video or access certain websites using a free VPN. Therefore, we recommend avoiding free VPNs altogether and opting for a paid service that will give you the best possible performance.