Despite being available almost anywhere in the world, Netflix is a region-locked service. However, instead of blocking people from certain countries, it simply changes the list of TV shows and movies that are available based on the user’s location. While this approach helps Netflix abide by its complex licensing agreements, it can cause issues for users who go abroad. For instance, users may find that a show they planned to keep watching isn’t available in their new location.
Since Netflix determines the user’s location from their IP address, changing your Netflix region should be as simple as connecting to a VPN server in a different country. However, Netflix has spent huge amounts of time perfecting its VPN-detection features, so not many services still work. In fact, despite overall impressive performance, Tunnelbear isn’t able to reliably unblock Netflix from abroad.
In short: Tunnelbear can’t reliably unblock any Netflix libraries. The most effective and reliable option is ExpressVPN.
Which countries’ Netflix libraries can TunnelBear unblock?
As of the time of writing, Tunnelbear can’t access any Netflix catalogs. However, it has been known to work with Netflix US, UK, and a few other libraries on occasion.
If you’d like to access a library that Tunnelbear can’t unblock, you might want to consider ExpressVPN. This is a fast, security-first service that can unblock 10+ Netflix libraries including Netflix US, UK, Canada, Australia, and Japan. Better still, it offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to unblock regional Netflix catalogs using a VPN
Below we explain how to quickly and easily change your Netflix region with a suitable VPN. Don’t worry, even if you’ve never used a VPN before, the process is very simple.
Here’s how to unblock Netflix libraries while abroad:
- Begin by signing up for a suitable VPN provider, we recommend a reputable VPN service such as ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on any device you’d like to stream on. Note that most providers allow five simultaneous connections, although this number varies.
- Find out which libraries your VPN can unblock and connect to a server in the relevant country. For instance, you’d use a US server to unblock Netflix US abroad.
- Open Netflix and check for new content. If nothing seems to have changed, clear your cookies and reload the page or try a different server to fix the most common issues.
- Does IPVanish Work with Netflix?
- How to change Netflix region
- Search Netflix by country
- Best VPN for Netflix
Streaming with a VPN: your frequently asked questions
⭐Can I change Netflix libraries using a free VPN?
While it may be possible to unblock Netflix abroad using a free VPN, we don’t recommend doing so. First, these services usually only offer a handful of servers, which means that at peak times, your speeds will likely slow to a crawl: not exactly what you want when streaming. Further, Netflix frequently updates its geo-blocking features, so even if your free VPN works at the moment, there’s a good chance it won’t in the future.
Unfortunately, these services come with real risks. Research indicates that malware is increasingly disguised as free VPN apps, so choosing poorly could result in your compromising your own system. What’s more, as free services come and go all the time, there’s no reason to prioritize user satisfaction; in fact, many don’t even encrypt your traffic. To protect yourself online, it’s best to use a well-established VPN that offers a proven no-logs policy.
⭐Will I get into trouble for using a VPN with Netflix?
⭐Why are some titles not showing up on Netflix?
If you’re finding that some movies or TV shows fail to appear, or that sections of the site fail to load at all, it’s likely Netflix has realized that you’re using a VPN. In situations like these, the service will only display content from the country that you signed up in. While this does mean you’ll always be able to watch, it can be confusing, especially since there’s no error message.
So how can you fix this problem? It’s a good idea to start by clearing your browser’s cookies, which forces Netflix to get your new location. If this doesn’t work, you should contact your VPN’s customer support team directly to see if there’s a specific server capable of unblocking Netflix. Failing this, your only real option is to use a different VPN.
- 1 Which countries’ Netflix libraries can TunnelBear unblock?
- 2 How to unblock regional Netflix catalogs using a VPN
- 3 Streaming with a VPN: your frequently asked questions
- 4 Can I change Netflix libraries using a free VPN?
- 5 Will I get into trouble for using a VPN with Netflix?
- 6 Why are some titles not showing up on Netflix?