FilmRise is one of the best free streaming services around. However, like many others, it changes its content depending on which country you’re in. Viewers in the US, for instance, can usually tune into shows like Hell’s Kitchen and Unsolved Mysteries, but if they visit the UK, only older shows like Heartbeat are available. Don’t worry, though: there’s an easy way to regain access to your usual FilmRise Library abroad. All you have to do is connect to a VPN.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) lets you spoof your location, making it seem like you’re still in your home country. You should then be able to continue streaming your favorite FilmRise shows from anywhere. VPNs can help you in other ways too. Their encryption allows you to use public wifi networks securely and prevent your service provider from seeing what you get up to online.
How to stream Filmrise safely using a VPN
Here’s how to watch FilmRise online from anywhere:
- Begin by deciding which VPN you’d like to use. We recommend NordVPN.
- Install the VPN app on any device that you regularly use for streaming. Most providers permit up to five connections at a time, so it’s fine if you have a few you’d like to protect.
- Next, login and choose a server in your home country. This will change your IP address and stop FilmRise from realizing you’re actually elsewhere.
- Now, open FIlmRise. You should notice that the available content has changed.
- If you experience any issues when playing videos, clear your cookies and reload the page to fix the most common problems.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Filmrise, free from any restrictions, for a month—great if you want to keep streaming free movies and TV during a trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
In recent years, streaming services (even free ones) have gotten very good at identifying VPN traffic. Some providers that were once considered reliable are no longer up to the task of helping you watch your favorite shows abroad. To find the best VPNs for FilmRise, we looked for services with all of the following features:
- Great streaming potential
- High-speed servers in lots of different locations
- Easy-to-use apps for a wide range of platforms
- Strong security tools including effectively uncrackable encryption
- A no-logs policy
- Free customer support over live chat
We’ll be taking a closer look at the best VPNs for streaming FilmRise in a second. For now, here’s a brief overview of our top providers, and a few reasons why they’re a good choice:
Best VPNs for watching FilmRise:
- NordVPN: Our #1 VPN for Filmrise. Fast, privacy-conscious, and extraordinarily versatile, with servers in 60 countries around the world. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
- Surfshark: The best low-cost VPN for FilmRise. Boasts top-tier speed and security. Works with a huge variety of streaming services including FilmRise. No connection limits whatsoever.
- ExpressVPN: A speedy provider with its own router firmware and Smart DNS service. Makes it easy to stream FilmRise on Roku, smart TVs, or games consoles. Strong on security.
- CyberGhost: Reliable, beginner-friendly, and great for watching FilmRise abroad. Offers extremely high speeds and streaming-optimized servers, plus 90+ locations to choose from.
- IPVanish: One of the fastest, most secure VPNs on the market. Lets you protect every device you own and works great with FilmRise. Even has its own Amazon Firestick app.
- PrivateVPN: A zero-logs VPN that works with FilmRise, Netflix, and more. Provides steady speeds, and leads the industry where privacy is concerned. Can even be used in China.
- Atlas VPN: This user-friendly service works flawlessly with popular streaming platforms. Not only that, it includes plenty of security tools and has no connection or bandwidth limits.
The best VPNs for FilmRise
Here’s a list of the best VPNs for FilmRise:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top pick for FilmRise users. It’s one of the fastest providers on the market and boasts beginner-friendly apps for a wide range of platforms including Amazon Firestick. What’s more, this VPN has more than 5,000 servers across 60 countries. In other words, if you’d like to access other popular services (like Netflix), your options are nearly limitless. Subscribers can protect up to six devices at a time.
Here’s a provider that takes user security seriously. It keeps your traffic private using 256-bit AES encryption, a customizable kill switch, a proven no-logs policy, and protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks. Not only that, but NordVPN has its own protocol, NordLynx, which is based on the increasingly popular WireGuard. Further, it recently introduced a Threat Protection feature that blocks ads, trackers, and malware automatically. Customer support is available 24/7 over email and live chat.
NordVPN has its own Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, Linux, and Firestick apps. It can even be manually installed on routers if you’d like to watch FilmRise on Roku or Smart TVs.
- Fast enough for flawless streaming
- Over 5,000 servers worldwide
- Huge range of security and privacy features
- Apps for all devices
- Novice-friendly yet versatile
- Very easy to get help
- Can’t choose an individual server, only a location
BEST VPN FOR FILMRISE:NordVPN is our top choice for FilmRise. It’s extremely fast and reliable, plus it works with all kinds of streaming services. There’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can try it completely risk-free.
Find out more in our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our budget pick for streaming FilmRise. That said, it offers plenty of features that some of its more expensive rivals don’t. There’s no connection limit, for instance, so you’re free to secure every device you own. Further, Surfshark is able to securely access not just FilmRise, but Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney Plus, to name but a few other platforms. With an average speed of over 300 Mbps, you shouldn’t notice any performance issues, even with lots of people sharing your internet.
This VPN includes a wide range of security tools including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, leak protection, and a CleanWeb feature that blocks ads, malware, and trackers automatically. It just recently introduced a pause feature in its Android app that will disconnect the VPN for a few minutes before reconnecting – this lets you quickly check something on more stubborn services without having to remember to turn the VPN back on. Surfshark follows a no-logs policy and provides 24/7 live chat in case of any issues.
Surfshark has apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, Amazon Fire TV, and Linux. Alternatively, you can manually configure it for use with supported routers.
- Inexpensive but highly capable
- Works with almost every streaming service we’ve tested
- Truly impressive speeds
- Very strong security offering
- Connect all of your devices at once
- Some features require an additional monthly payment to use
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is the best low-cost option for FilmRise. That said, its speed and security rival many of its pricier competitors. With exceptional streaming ability, no connection limit, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, this budget VPN is well worth your time.
Interested? Why not read our complete Surfshark review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a great service for streaming thanks to its high speeds and fantastic unblocking ability. In fact, we’ve had no issues accessing platforms like FilmRise, HBO Max, Disney Plus, and Hulu while connected. Better still, this VPN has servers in a whopping 94 locations – that’s about 50 percent more than the industry average. Users can secure up to five devices at a time and there are no bandwidth limits to speak of.
This service is as secure as it is user-friendly. Your connection is kept safe using 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch, plus ExpressVPN refuses to log any personally identifiable data. New versions include a Threat Manager that stops your other apps from sending data to known trackers. There’s no need to worry if you run into trouble, either, because support staff are only ever a moment away via the 24/7 live chat service.
ExpressVPN apps are available for MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, and Fire TV. There’s also custom router firmware that can help you stream FilmRise on devices without full VPN support.
- Servers in 94 countries
- Incredible speeds
- Good streaming abilities
- Security-conscious VPN with a no-logs policy
- Makes it easy to stream FilmRise on Roku, Smart TVs, and games consoles
- A little more expensive than some rivals
- Streaming servers are not labeled
STREAM ON ANY DEVICE:ExpressVPN offers impressive speeds and 94 locations to choose from. It also includes a 30-day money-back guarantee, a wide range of apps, a smart DNS service, and custom router firmware, making it ideal for streaming FilmRise abroad.
Check out the full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 7,000 servers in 90+ countries, so you shouldn’t have any issues finding one nearby. Better still, it’s among the fastest VPNs we’ve seen, averaging over 500 Mbps in our most recent tests. With specific servers designed for streaming, you’ll be able to watch FilmRise, Netflix, and more, wherever you are in the world. A maximum of seven devices can be connected at any one time.
This provider ensures your activities remain private with a blend of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, leak protection, plus a feature that blocks ads and trackers automatically. CyberGhost keeps no logs and publishes regular transparency reports. Additionally, this VPN now supports WireGuard, a speedy, open-source protocol that’s easier to audit. In the unlikely event that something goes wrong, you can reach customer support in seconds using the 24/7 live chat service.
CyberGhost offers apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. It can be manually installed on a wide range of routers too.
- Specially-optimized streaming servers
- Quick and reliable connections
- Plenty of security features built-in
- Huge network and 24/7 support
- Doesn’t work in China
- Not the best choice for power users
IDEAL FOR NOVICES:CyberGhost is a beginner-friendly VPN with powerful security tools and servers specifically designed for streaming. Not only that, but it offers 24/7 live chat and a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has over 2,000 servers in 60+ countries around the world. These are some of the fastest around, averaging over 480 Mbps in our most recent tests. Better still, IPVanish owns its servers outright, meaning no other company ever has access. As well as FilmRise, this VPN works with platforms like Netflix US and HBO Max. Unlike most of its rivals, IPVanish lets you connect every device you own with a single subscription.
Privacy-conscious users will find a lot to like here. To begin with, your data is secured using a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and 256-bit AES encryption. IPVanish also offers WireGuard support, an independently-verified no-logs policy, and the ability to scramble OpenVPN traffic (which might help you beat VPN-detection systems). With live chat available around the clock, getting help couldn’t be simpler.
IPVanish has its own iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Fire TV apps. Linux systems and routers are supported too, but you’ll have to follow manual setup instructions.
- Top-tier performance
- Clearly values user security
- No-logs policy
- No limit on number of devices you can connect
- Struggles with larger streaming platforms
- Doesn’t work in China
GREAT EVERYDAY VPN:IPVanish can help you watch FilmRise abroad, torrent anonymously, and use public wifi safely. As well as impressive speeds, it has a fantastic set of security features, and no connection limit. Annual plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the complete IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network, with around 200 servers in 63 countries. Don’t write it off just yet, though – it’s more than fast enough for streaming FilmRise, plus it works with in-demand services like Netflix, Prime Video, and Disney Plus. This VPN recently increased its connection limit and now lets you secure up to 10 devices at a time.
This is one of the best around as far as privacy is concerned. That’s because PrivateVPN owns and hosts its entire infrastructure, preventing your data from ever passing through a third party’s hardware. Its apps keep you safe with powerful encryption, a zero-logs policy, leak protection, and a customizable kill switch. There’s also a stealth mode that’ll let you browse securely in places like China, and an automatic connection feature that can help protect you even when using unsecured networks. The easiest way to get help is via live chat, although this service goes offline for a few hours each day.
PrivateVPN apps are available for iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows, and Amazon Fire Stick. You’ll need to manually configure this VPN to work with Linux systems or home routers though.
- Goes above and beyond on privacy
- Quick, reliable speeds
- Works with most streaming services
- Live chat support not 24/7
- Fairly small network
ZERO-LOGS PROVIDER:PrivateVPN keeps no logs and has invested heavily in privacy-enhancing infrastructure. Not only that, but it’s great for streaming, working with FilmRise, Netflix, and Prime Video to name a few services. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more info, check out our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN lets you choose from 750 servers in 40+ countries including the US and UK. It’s fast enough for 4K streaming (averaging over 240 Mbps in our latest speed tests), so FilmRise shouldn’t pose any problems. In fact, you’ll also be able to access services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu. With no connection or bandwidth limits, you’re free to watch as much as you like across all of your devices.
This service has a wealth of security features including effectively-uncrackable encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks. There’s also an address rotator that changes your IP address every time you visit a new site. Atlas VPN doesn’t log any data that could personally identify you, so your privacy is in good hands. Having problems? Staff are ready to help, day or night, via email or live chat.
Atlas VPN has its own Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS apps. It’s also available directly from the Amazon app store in case you’d like to stream FilmRise on a Fire Stick.
- Great overall performance
- Versatile no-logs VPN
- No connection limit
- Can’t be installed on Linux or routers
- Needs to be easier to cancel
SPEEDY AND SECURE:Atlas VPN has everything you need to stream FilmRise safely. It’s quick, security-conscious, and capable of protecting all of your devices at once. What’s more, this service offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on all plans.
Read our in-depth Atlas VPN review.
Methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for FilmRise
Unfortunately, not every VPN will work with FilmRise. To complicate things further, some VPNs that let you change regions on the FilmRise app might not work as well with the FilmRise YouTube channels. With this in mind, we set out a base set of criteria that our top VPNs had to meet. You’ll find these and a brief explanation of why each is so important below.
- Excellent performance: Streaming is a fairly data-intensive task, so high speeds are a must. We regularly speed test leading VPNs to find out which are currently the fastest. Our testing also takes consistency into account, so there’s no need to worry about whether your speeds will be worse at peak times.
- Good streaming ability: Ideally, our top VPNs would work with every version of FilmRise, but we also look for those that can securely access other platforms like Sling TV, Prime Video, and Disney Plus. After all, you likely have several sites you’d like to use, and finding VPNs that work with all of them means you’re more likely to stay connected.
- Strong security and privacy tools: Your privacy is the most important thing. That’s why we look for uncrackable encryption, leak protection, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy as a bare minimum. Of course, extra security tools (such as stealth modes or tracking-blockers) are always very welcome.
- Beginner-friendly apps: The easier a VPN is to use, the better. Because FilmRise is available on a wide range of devices, we’d like our top VPNs to offer dedicated Fire TV apps, and if possible, router support. We strongly prefer services with 24/7 live chat too, since this makes resolving any problems as painless as possible.
This is actually just one small part of our larger testing process. To find out more, read our VPN testing methodology explainer.
Streaming FilmRise from abroad: FAQs
Is FilmRise legal?
Yes! Filmrise is one of the rare services that offers recognizable titles for free while being completely above board. It makes money by showing ads on its content, rather than requiring a monthly payment, similar to Amazon Freevee, Tubi, and Crackle.
Can I unblock FilmRise with a free VPN?
We don’t recommend streaming anything with a free VPN. To begin with, these services tend to be very slow due to high user demand. Not only that, but there’s usually a fairly low monthly bandwidth limit that can’t be waived without paying. To make matters worse, many free VPNs are blacklisted by larger streaming platforms, which means you might not be able to watch at all.
What can I watch on FilmRise?
FilmRise has a ton of content, from classic TV shows like Midsomer Murders to cult movies like Donnie Darko. Obviously, the content library will change based on your location, but here’s a short list of titles available on the US version of FilmRise:
- Ginger Snaps
- Day of the Dead
- Unsolved Mysteries
- Forensic Files
- Hell’s Kitchen
- Kitchen Nightmares
- Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction
- America’s Dumbest Criminals