Geo-blocked content is not uncommon, particularly when it comes to streaming TV shows and movies. Traveling abroad means you can no longer access some of your favorite New Zealand TV content, for example. Fortunately, you can easily unblock geo-restricted content from anywhere by connecting to a VPN.
A VPN encrypts your internet traffic, securing it from prying eyes. By hiding your true IP address, a VPN lets you browse the web anonymously. Since all of your traffic is being routed through a server in another country, you can also spoof your location and access region-locked content from abroad. Read on to find out how to watch New Zealand TV abroad and which New Zealand TV content you can unblock.
Don’t have time to read the full article just yet? Here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs for watching New Zealand TV abroad:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for watching New Zealand TV. Over 5,500 servers globally. Works with TVNZ and Three. No-logs VPN with double VPN servers. Connect up to six devices at once. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Use it to watch TVNZ1 and TVNZ 2 abroad (outside of New Zealand). Very strong security and 24/7 live chat support.
- ExpressVPN: Fast speeds for lag-free streaming. Unblocks TVNZ 1 and TVNZ 2. Offers strong security with encryption and 24/7 live chat support.
- CyberGhost: 6,000 servers in 90 countries. High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth for streaming Three and Bravo. Security includes a strict no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Use on up to 10 devices simultaneously. Good speeds for Prime and Māori Television. Uses encryption and offers zero-logs policy. 24/7 support included.
- PrivateVPN: Very fast servers and unblocks TVNZ 1 and Three. Easy-to-use apps as well as live chat support. Secure up to six devices simultaneously per account.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 80 countries including New Zealand. Unblocks Bravo and Prime. 24/7 support and up to five connections. Secures data with encryption.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for New Zealand TV with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge-watch your favorite shows or are going on a short vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to stream New Zealand TV abroad with a VPN
If you connect to a VPN server in New Zealand, your real IP address will be hidden, and you’ll be given one from New Zealand instead. Below, we’ll explain how this lets you unblock geo-restricted TV shows and movies. Don’t worry, it’s quick and easy to do!
Here’s how you can watch New Zealand TV shows online from abroad:
- First, you’ll need to sign up with a VPN that offers servers in New Zealand. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Next, download and install one of the VPN’s apps (or browser extensions), making sure it’s the correct version for your device.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to a server in New Zealand. In doing so, you’ll receive a New Zealand IP address for watching New Zealand TV overseas.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This ensures that websites forget your previous IP address and location.
- Navigate to your preferred New Zealand TV platform or streaming service. Content should now be unblocked and ready to watch!
See also: Best New Zealand VPN
Choosing the best VPNs for watching New Zealand TV abroad
So how did we go about choosing the best VPNs for streaming New Zealand TV overseas? After all, there are many VPNs on the market. We were able to create a shortlist of VPNs by looking for those that meet the following criteria:
- Fast, reliable servers in New Zealand for streaming
- Unblocks popular TV platforms and streaming services
- Secures your data through the use of encryption
- Doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified
- Knowledgeable live chat customer support
- User-friendly apps for desktop and mobile
Best VPNs for New Zealand TV
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for watching New Zealand TV online from abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for watching New Zealand TV. It has a network of more than 5,500 high-speed servers in total, with nearly three dozen in New Zealand. Having so many servers available helps reduce load and makes it more likely you’ll get the fastest possible speeds. When it comes to unblocking New Zealand TV overseas, NordVPN works with TVNZ 1 and TVNZ 2. Unlimited bandwidth means you’re unlikely to encounter issues of lag and buffering even when streaming in 1080p HD.
Should you require assistance, NordVPN provides 24/7 support via live chat and email. You can also use this VPN to connect six devices at once. In terms of security, NordVPN operates a strict no-logs policy to protect your privacy. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks. You even have the option of connecting to one of NordVPN’s double VPN servers which provides an extra layer of security.
To use NordVPN, simply sign up and download one of the apps which are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Android TV. You can also download browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
- Has as many as three dozen high-speed servers in New Zealand
- Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming of TVNZ 1 and TVNZ 2
- Operates a strict no-logs policy so you can stay anonymous online
- Allows up to six simultaneous connections per account
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- Easy-to-use apps for all major operating systems
- Connecting to a server can sometimes be slow on desktop
BEST VPN FOR NEW ZEALAND TV:NordVPN has plenty of servers in New Zealand for streaming TVNZ and Māori Television. Use on up to six devices at once. 24/7 live chat support is available. Security includes encryption and a strict no-logs policy. There’s also a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark lets you have an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. This is great if you have a lot of devices to secure or if you plan on sharing with family. Its network is made up of approximately 3,000 servers. Surfshark’s New Zealand servers allow you to stream TVNZ 1, TVNZ 2, Prime, and more. Indeed, you’ll also be able to unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+ while unlimited bandwidth ensures you won’t have to put up with any performance issues.
With Surfshark, you can be sure of the highest level of security. For starters, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. All of this serves to keep your data from landing in the wrong hands. Indeed, Surfshark has a strict no-logs policy and simply doesn’t keep any data such as connection or activity logs. Better still, it further strengthens your security by offering MultiHop (double VPN) servers and an ad-blocker.
Unblock TVNZ 1 by connecting to Surfshark’s apps which are offered for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. If you want to use Surfshark with your router, you’ll need to set this up manually.
- Servers in New Zealand for streaming TVNZ overseas
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- Strong security includes automatic wifi protection
- Knowledgable 24/7 live chat and email support
- Protects privacy of its users by not keeping identifying logs
- Support could be improved
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is ideal for sharing with family as it lets you secure as many devices as you want simultaneously. Works with TVNZ, Prime, Three, and more. No-logs VPN with lots of security features and 24/7 live chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries — far more than most VPNs on the market. This includes some in New Zealand that are perfect for unblocking and watching TV abroad. You can expect fast speeds and consistent connections, making streaming a stress-free experience. What’s more, ExpressVPN offers strong unblocking abilities and works with TVNZ, Three, and Bravo. With a single subscription, you can secure up to five devices simultaneously.
Connecting to an ExpressVPN server allows you to browse the web anonymously. Your data is kept secure through the use of 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also protection from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, as well as a kill switch feature. ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be personally identified. This VPN also offers excellent customer support, available 24/7 via live chat and email, making it quick and easy to resolve any issues.
ExpressVPN offers apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and Linux. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox while you’ll also find custom firmware for routers.
- Servers in 94 countries including New Zealand
- Fast, reliable servers for streaming New Zealand TV abroad
- Works with TVNZ, Three, Bravo, and more
- Highly secure thanks to its use of high-end encryption
- Includes 24/7 live chat and email support
- One of the more expensive VPNs on the market
GREAT ALL-ROUNDER:ExpressVPN is another solid choice. Fast and reliable for streaming TVNZ. Also unblocks Prime and Three. Security includes encryption and a kill switch. You can try ExpressVPN with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a good choice for streaming thanks to its high-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth. It has approximately 6,000 servers in 90 countries, New Zealand included. You can use this VPN to watch Bravo, Prime, and more. Indeed, it also works with Netflix US. If you have a lot of devices to secure, CyberGhost is worth considering because it lets you connect as many as seven devices simultaneously.
This VPN operates a strict no-logs policy which means it doesn’t collect data such as your IP address or browsing history. Overall, it offers excellent security with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an automatic kill switch. CyberGhost also offers independently operated “NoSpy” servers. Located in Romania, it’s outside the jurisdiction of the Five Eyes and 14 Eyes intelligence alliances. 24/7 support is also available.
Watch New Zealand TV abroad thanks to CyberGhost’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available. This VPN is compatible with select routers but manual configuration is required.
- Very fast speeds for streaming New Zealand TV such as Bravo
- Can be used on as many as seven devices at once
- Network is made up of over 6,000 servers across 90 countries
- High level of security including encryption and a no-logs policy
- Live chat and email support available 24/7
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH:CyberGhost has roughly 6,000 servers in total. High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth. Unblock New Zealand TV such as TVNZ 2. No-logs service with very strong security. Connect up to seven devices at once. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish unblocks plenty of online TV content from New Zealand including Māori Television and Three. Its servers in Auckland, New Zealand are just a small part of a network that covers dozens of countries around the world. This VPN provides fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth which means you can stream lag-free. What’s more, it allows unlimited simultaneous connections which is far more than most VPNs.
It’s quick and easy to connect to an IPVanish server though 24/7 support is available via live chat if needed. With this VPN, you don’t need to worry about your data being compromised by hackers or even the government. That’s because it’s secured with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It’s also worth knowing that IPVanish plans also include 250GB of SugarSync cloud storage. This provider has a strict zero-logs policy.
Connect to a server in New Zealand with IPVanish via the apps for desktop (Windows and Mac), mobile (Android and iOS), and Amazon Fire TV. Use with Linux and routers requires following manual setup instructions.
- Good speeds and unlimited bandwidth for consistent streaming
- Unblocks New Zealand TV channels such as Three
- Connect all your devices at once
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Anonymous browsing thanks to a zero-logs policy
- Doesn’t offer the option of browser extensions
- Headquartered in the US — a member of Five Eyes
CONNECT 10 DEVICES:IPVanish lets you secure all of your devices and offers good, consistent speeds for watching New Zealand TV overseas. Works with Three and Māori Television, among others. Protects your privacy with its zero-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is worth considering if you’re looking for fast servers for streaming and torrenting. It has servers in 60 countries, including New Zealand. As such, it unblocks New Zealand TV channels such as TVNZ 1 and Bravo. However, it also unblocks popular US streaming services including Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. What’s more, PrivateVPN is easy to use thanks to the beginner-friendly apps that let you connect to a server in seconds.
If you use this service, you’ll be able to connect up to six devices at once. You’ll also have access to live chat support which is available 22 hours a day. Thanks to PrivateVPN, no-one can see your online activities or gain access to your data. That’s because it has a strict no-logs policy and uses 256-bit AES encryption. Aside from DNS leak protection, there’s also a kill switch which cuts your internet traffic should the VPN connection drop unexpectedly.
To watch New Zealand TV abroad, simply connect to PrivateVPN. Apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, Linux and iOS. You can also use this VPN with supported routers but this does need to be set up manually.
- Fast servers for streaming TVNZ 1 and Bravo as well as Netflix
- Very easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile
- Connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Secure with encryption as well as a no-logs policy
- Smaller network of just 150 servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
USER-FRIENDLY:PrivateVPN is fast yet user-friendly. Strong unblocking ability — works with TVNZ 1 and Prime. Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile. Secure up to six devices at once. Operates a strict no-logs policy and offers 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield lets you unblock New Zealand TV and geo-restricted content from many other countries. That’s because it has a network of over 3,000 servers in 80 countries. Servers are fast and connections consistent, allowing you to stream TVNZ, Bravo, and Prime, among other channels. If you’d like to secure multiple devices, you’ll be happy to learn that Hotspot Shield allows up to five simultaneous connections.
You can browse the web anonymously as Hotspot Shield offers a solid selection of security features. These include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. Your privacy is also protected thanks to the fact that Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users. It’s possible to connect to a Hotspot Shield server in just one click but 24/7 live chat support is available if you have any questions.
Obtain a New Zealand IP address with Hotspot Shield’s apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS. There’s also a browser extension for Chrome while Linux and routers can be configured manually.
- 3,000 servers in 80 countries, New Zealand included
- Unblocks TVNZ, Bravo, and Prime
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat
- Secures your data with the highest level of encryption
- Has had some privacy issues in the past
- Doesn’t accept payments in cryptocurrency
SERVERS IN 80 COUNTRIES:Hotspot Shield has a large network of servers. Unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming of Māori Television and TVNZ 1. Offers 24/7 live chat support and allows five simultaneous connections. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Streaming New Zealand TV abroad: FAQs
Can I watch New Zealand TV abroad with a free VPN?
Free VPNs could technically allow you to watch New Zealand TV channels abroad. However, this is unlikely as very few actually offer servers in New Zealand. What’s more, with limited networks and high numbers of users, you’ll likely encounter slow speeds and excessive lag when streaming. Indeed, you may even find your bandwidth throttled. It’s also worth knowing that free VPNs struggle to unblock streaming services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
However, it’s not just the lack of servers and slow speeds that make free VPNs a poor choice. They also lack security, often failing to provide essential features such as encryption or a kill switch. It’s important to consider how a free VPN is making money. Some will bombard you with annoying, irrelevant ads, for example. However, some free VPNs log your data and sell it to third parties. Needless to say, this is no good if you value your privacy.
Which New Zealand TV channels can I watch online for free?
If you use a VPN to connect to a server in New Zealand, you’ll be able to watch various New Zealand TV channels abroad for free:
- TVNZ 1
- TVNZ 2
- Māori Television
What New Zealand content can I stream with a VPN?
With a New Zealand IP address, you’ll be able to continue watching all of your favorite New Zealand TV shows while traveling abroad. Here are a few examples:
- Shortland Street (TVNZ 2)
- The Brokenwood Mysteries (Prime)
- Westside (Three)
- 800 Words (TVNZ 1)
- What Now (TVNZ 2)
- Newshub (Three)
- Country Calendar (TVNZ 1)
- The Bad Seed (TVNZ 1)
- The Crowd Goes Wild (Prime)
- Police Ten 7 (TVNZ 2)