It’s easy to forget but many of our favorite services aren’t available elsewhere in the world. For instance, American travelers will find themselves unable to watch CBS while in Mongolia. Not all services go so far though; Netflix simply changes its available content depending on which country you’re in. However, there’s no guarantee that your local content library will have anything you’re interested in. Luckily, there’s an easy way to unblock your usual services while in Mongolia: just connect to a VPN server in your home country.
This works because most geo-restricted services find out which country you’re in by checking your IP address. When you use a VPN, these platforms can only see the IP address (and location) of your chosen server, so you can, for instance, use an American server to make websites think you’re in the US. What’s more, VPNs encrypt your traffic, hiding your activities from snoopers and ensuring that you never have to browse unprotected while in Mongolia.
Take a look below for a brief rundown of the best VPNs for Mongolia. If any catch your eye, just keep reading as we’ll go into more detail on each later:
Best VPNs for Mongolia:
- NordVPN: Our top VPN for Mongolia. Extremely fast connections. Top-notch security features and a no-logs policy. Also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best low-cost VPN for Mongolia. Offers decent speeds, unlimited connections, and a wide array of security and privacy features. Unblocks popular streaming services with ease.
- ExpressVPN: A veteran provider with a large network, steady speeds, and a wide range of privacy features. Great at unblocking stubborn platforms like Netflix.
- CyberGhost: This beginner-friendly service makes it easy to access all of your favorite services while abroad. Provides high speeds and pre-configured security features.
- IPVanish: A fast, security-conscious VPN that keeps no logs and allows you to protect all of your devices at the same time.
- PrivateVPN: An extremely speedy and security-conscious provider. Great at unblocking stubborn services from abroad.
- Hotspot Shield: Boasting reliable connections, high-speed servers, and a strong security focus, this is a great option for anyone traveling in Mongolia.
It’s important to realize that not all VPNs are created equal. For instance, some value speed the most, while others might strive to unblock a wider range of services from abroad. Most of the time, it’s a good idea to avoid VPNs that specialize in one area. Instead, you’ll be far better served by an adaptable, versatile service, since these can deal with just about anything. To ensure we only recommend the best, we considered the following criteria when selecting the best VPNs for Mongolia:
- Provides access to plenty of reliable, high-speed servers
- Unblocks a wide range of popular geo-restricted services from abroad
- Uses powerful encryption and various other security features to keep your data safe
- Doesn’t log any personally identifiable information
- Includes apps for all major operating systems
Best VPN for Mongolia
Below, we’ll cover each of the best VPNs for Mongolia in more detail:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is a reputable provider with over 5,500 servers in 59 countries. Its exceptional unblocking ability, unlimited bandwidth, and six-connection limit already make it a solid choice for users in Mongolia but what really sets it apart is its speed. In fact, out of all the services we’ve tested, this is the fastest, and it’s not even close. Needless to say, this service is ideal for data-intensive activities like 4K streaming and torrenting.
It has plenty to offer security-conscious users too. There’s 256-bit encryption, for instance, backed by a customizable kill switch, protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, and a strict no-logging policy. NordVPN also accepts three kinds of cryptocurrency and offers special obfuscated servers. Support staff are on-hand around the clock over email and live chat, in case you have any problems.
NordVPN users can install apps for Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, or Linux. Additionally, this service can be manually installed on supported internet routers.
- Higher speeds than any other VPN we’ve tested
- Unblocks all but the most stubborn services
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- Zero-logs policy
- Desktop app takes some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR MONGOLIA:NordVPN is our top choice for Mongolia. It boasts very high speeds, fantastic unblocking ability, and customizable security. Best of all, this no-logs VPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can try it completely risk-free.
For more details, read the full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark provides unlimited bandwidth, solid speeds, and more than 3,200 servers in 65 countries, making it a strong choice for anyone looking to stream while traveling in Mongolia. It excels at bypassing region-locking too, and reliably works with tricky services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. Further, unlike many of its rivals, this VPN allows you to connect as many devices as you like.
There’s a lot to like when it comes to security. Surfshark offers 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. There’s also a NoBorders mode that can help you get around especially strict geo-blocking. Further, Surfshark refuses to store any logs, meaning it can’t tell anyone what you get up to online under any circumstances. Live chat-based support is available 24/7.
Surfshark provides Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS, and Linux apps. If you’d prefer, it can also be manually configured for use with select wireless routers.
- Fast enough for uninterrupted streaming, torrenting, or browsing
- Excellent unblocking ability
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- Keeps no logs
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a low-cost provider that strikes a good balance between speed and security. Unblocks some of the most popular streaming platforms and lets you secure all of your devices at once. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our in-depth Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN users have access to more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries. This large network helps spread the load at peak times and ensures that you always have access to a high-speed, low-load server in your country of choice. With an impressive unblocking ability and unlimited bandwidth, you’ll be able to access services like Netflix, Hulu, and ITV Hub from Mongolia, without any noticeable buffering or lag. This service allows up to five connections at once.
There are all kinds of security features built-in, including effectively uncrackable 256-bit encryption and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. Users can also activate a kill switch that stops sending data the moment their connection drops. ExpressVPN accepts Bitcoin and doesn’t log any information that could be traced back to you, so there’s no need to worry about privacy. For help with any issues, contact support via the 24/7 live chat service.
ExpressVPN comes with easy-to-use apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, and Windows. What’s more, it offers custom firmware for select routers.
- Very good speeds
- Works with Peacock, Hulu, and more
- High-grade encryption, security and privacy throughout
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly higher cost than others
- Limited advanced features for power-users
SOLID EVERYDAY SERVICE:ExpressVPN makes it easy to access all of your usual services in Mongolia, and it doesn’t disappoint on speed or security either. It even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why not check out our complete ExpressVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has the largest network of any service in this list, with 6,300+ servers in 90 countries. It’s also capable of unblocking a whole host of services, from Netflix to Disney+ and everything in between. With steady connection speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and a seven-connection limit, this service gives you the freedom to access just about anything, anywhere.
One of the best things about CyberGhost is that all of its security features come pre-configured. These include 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and a combined ad-blocker/malware-scanner. Further, CyberGhost doesn’t store any information that could be used to identify you. This service prides itself on being easy to use but if you run into any problems, you can contact support staff over live chat, day or night.
CyberGhost offers novice-friendly MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android apps. To protect all of your devices simultaneously, you can manually install this VPN on select home routers.
- Huge network of high-speed servers
- Very good and unblocking geo-restricted sites and content
- Comprehensive security and privacy protections
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced features
- Doesn’t work in China
A GREAT FIRST VPN:CyberGhost is quick, easy to use, and highly versatile, making it an ideal choice for novice users. Great for streaming, torrenting, or just browsing privately in Mongolia. Includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Check out our complete review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish tries to make it as simple as possible to browse safely in Mongolia. Its network of 1,600+ servers spans 60 countries and boasts consistently high speeds. Further, this service has no connection limit, which means users can secure every device they own with a single account. Although there are better VPNs out there for sheer unblocking ability, this service has no problems accessing platforms like Netflix US or HBO Max from abroad.
This VPN comes packed with advanced security features. There’s 256-bit encryption to begin with, plus DNS leak protection and a kill switch. Users can also choose to block local connections outright, reconnect automatically, or scramble their traffic (which can help bypass particularly strict geo-blocking). IPVanish doesn’t keep any logs at all, so your privacy is in good hands. Support is never more than a few seconds away thanks to this VPN’s 24/7 live chat service.
IPVanish apps are available for Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Linux systems. Some network routers are supported too but you’ll have to configure the service for these manually.
- Fast and reliable servers
- No-logs policy and strong security features
- Permits any number of connections
- Can’t bypass Chinese internet blocking
- Struggles to unblock some major streaming services
PRIVACY FIRST:IPVanish is a zero-logs VPN that lets you protect every device you own simultaneously. With high speeds, strong security, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, it’s a solid choice for anyone traveling in Mongolia.
Why not read our full review of IPVanish?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN might have a smaller network than some of the others we’ve seen (150 or so servers in 60 countries) but it has a couple of key strengths too. First, it’s exceptionally fast, placing third in our comprehensive VPN speed tests. Second, it reliably unblocks many of the most popular geo-blocked services abroad. Whether you’re looking to stream Netflix while on vacation or just browse the web anonymously in Mongolia, PrivateVPN has you covered.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection to keep your activities hidden from snoopers. There’s also a stealth mode that helps you bypass VPN-blocking and deep packet inspection in places like China. PrivateVPN refuses to keep any logs, and as such, it can’t reveal details of your activities. Support is available roughly 22 hours each day, meaning you shouldn’t have to wait too long for help, regardless of what time you run into trouble.
PrivateVPN users have the choice of Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, or MacOS apps. You could also just manually install this VPN directly onto supported wireless routers.
- Very fast speeds
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Privacy and security are top notch
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
PERFECT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is a speedy service that works well with major streaming platforms like Netflix and YouTube TV. This no-logs VPN also provides a 30-day money-back guarantee and plenty of powerful security features.
Read our comprehensive PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has around 1,800 servers in over 80 countries and boasts consistently high speeds. As you might expect, these features have made it a favorite of people looking to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or Sling TV abroad. However, thanks to this service’s unlimited bandwidth, it’s an equally strong choice for general web-browsing and torrenting.
With 256-bit encryption, IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch all enabled by default, this service ensures your activities are kept hidden at all times. There’s also automatic wifi protection, which will connect you to the VPN any time you use an unsecured network. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any identifiable data after your session is over. If you need help, you can get in touch 24/7 over email or live chat.
Hotspot Shield comes with powerful iOS, Windows, MacOS, Android, and Linux apps. Additionally, select routers are supported via manual configuration.
- High-speed servers in 80+ countries
- Has no problems unblocking Netflix, ITV Hub, and more
- Good range of security settings
- Has had privacy issues in the past
- No anonymous payment option
SPEEDY AND SECURE:Hotspot Shield is a quick, versatile VPN capable of handling just about any day-to-day situation whether it’s torrenting, browsing, video-calling, or streaming. Best of all, this service comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Check out the full Hotspot Shield review.
How to stay safe in Mongolia using a VPN
Don’t worry: it’s really quite simple to protect your internet traffic with a VPN, whether you’re in Mongolia or anywhere else.
Here’s how to setup a VPN in Mongolia:
- Start by signing up for one of the services above (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download the app and install it on any device you use frequently. Most providers allow five or so simultaneous connections, but this varies from one service to another.
- Log in and connect to one of the available servers. Remember, if you’re looking to unblock geo-restricted services, you’ll have to use a server in the country that the service is from (a US server for NBC, for instance, or a UK server for BBC iPlayer).
- That’s all there is to it — your data is now secured from snoopers and you should be able to access a wide range of geo-blocked services. If not, clear your cookies, try another server, or ask your VPN’s support team for more help.
TRY A PAID VPN FREE: Only need a VPN for a short time? If so, you may want to make use of NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. Although you’ll have to pay upfront, you’ll be able to use the service without restriction for almost a month. If you’re in any way unsatisfied, just cancel for a full refund; it’s completely risk-free!
VPNs in Mongolia: Frequently Asked Questions
Are VPNs legal in Mongolia?
At the moment, there are no laws against using a VPN while in Mongolia. This could be because only around 51 percent of people have internet access there, but given the country’s fairly relaxed privacy laws (especially when compared to its neighbors, China and Russia), future restrictions seem unlikely.
Why might I need a VPN In Mongolia?
Although the Mongolian government has a long list of words that can’t be used on local websites, citizens generally have freedom of expression and there really isn’t any kind of state-sponsored internet blocking.
There are still plenty of reasons to use a VPN while visiting though. For instance, Freedom House claims that broadly-worded defamation laws are often used to target journalists, leading to self-censorship. Additionally, when you’re traveling, you’ll more than likely use a public wifi hotspot at some point. The problem is that these are usually pretty insecure, but a VPN encrypts your data, preventing it from being read by anyone who might be monitoring the network.
You can even use a VPN to access your online banking service from abroad without worrying about your login attempt being flagged as potentially fraudulent -- as long as you use a server in your home country, it’s unlikely your bank will even be able to tell that you’re really somewhere else.
Will a VPN let me watch Mongolian TV from abroad?
Here’s the good news: you don’t actually need a VPN to watch most Mongolian TV channels online. However, it’s still a good idea to connect to an encrypted server before streaming; not only will this protect you from anyone who might be monitoring your network, it can also help you avoid ISP throttling. Here are a few TV channels from Mongolia that you can watch online:
- Mongol TV
- Eagle News TV
- Best VPN for Mongolia
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 6. PrivateVPN
- 7. Hotspot Shield
- How to stay safe in Mongolia using a VPN
- VPNs in Mongolia: Frequently Asked Questions
- Are VPNs legal in Mongolia?
- Why might I need a VPN In Mongolia?
- Will a VPN let me watch Mongolian TV from abroad?