We have so many choices when it comes to streaming these days that it’s easy to forget not every service is available in every country. Unfortunately, though, channels like TVM, One, and Fliving aren’t available outside of Malta. In fact, depending on where you are in the world, you may not even be able to access everyday services like Facebook, WhatsApp, or Skype.
Luckily, you don’t have to put up with these restrictions. Most geo-restricted platforms find your location by checking your IP address. This means that by connecting to a VPN (and therefore, changing your IP address), you can make it look like you’re in another country. Best of all, VPNs encrypt your traffic meaning you can not only access your favorite services from anywhere, but you can use them safely.
How to get an IP address from Malta abroad
The good news is that it’s really quite simple to get an IP address from Malta. In fact, the whole process takes less than five minutes, just follow our step-by-step guide.
Here’s how to get an IP address from Malta with a VPN:
- Start by signing up for a suitable VPN (we particularly recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download the VPN app and install it on any device you use often. Usually, you’ll be allowed five simultaneous connections but this varies from one service to another.
- Now, login and connect to any of your VPN’s servers in Malta. This will get you a temporary Maltese IP address and allow you to access geo-restricted Maltese sites.
- Finally, try accessing a region-locked Maltese service like One Play. If you can play video, everything is working as expected. Otherwise, we recommend clearing your cookies and trying again (or failing that, contacting your VPN’s support team directly).
GET A MALTA IP ADDRESS FREE: Not looking for long-term coverage? ExpressVPN comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee which means you can try it and claim a full refund if it fails to impress. This way, you can effectively get a Malta IP address for free.
Short on time? No problem: read on for a brief guide to the best VPNs for getting a Maltese IP address. Of course, we’ll also be reviewing each in more detail later.
Best VPNs to get an IP Address from Malta:
- ExpressVPN: Our #1 pick for getting a Malta IP address. This fast, versatile VPN unblocks TVM, One Play, and even Netflix with ease. It’s strong on security and comes with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost: The best way to get an IP address from Malta on a budget. CyberGhost has a fantastic security offering, solid unblocking ability, and high speeds, as well as a seven-connection limit.
- PrivateVPN: A very fast service capable of unblocking major streaming services like Netflix from anywhere. It keeps no logs and comes with a suite of advanced security features.
- Hotspot Shield: Speedy connections, unlimited bandwidth, and strong security make this service a great choice for torrenting, browsing, or watching Maltese TV online.
- ZenMate: This VPN is fast, extremely versatile, and packed with security features. Further, with more Maltese servers than any other major provider, this VPN stands out from the crowd.
It’s easy to get bogged down when comparing VPNs, partly because they love to brag about technical specifications that are often difficult to understand. The truth is that most people will be just fine with a VPN that does everything reasonably well, even if it doesn’t necessarily excel in any one area. For instance, all of our recommended VPNs fit the criteria below:
- Offers access to a large network (and at least one Maltese server)
- Provides speeds that are fast enough for streaming and torrenting
- Reliably unblocks major geo-restricted services from abroad
- Keeps your activities private at all times using advanced security features
- Doesn’t store any data that could be used to identify you
- Comes with apps for all major platforms and devices
Best VPNs for getting an IP address from Malta
The following VPNs make it quick and easy to get an IP address from Malta:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers access to over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, Malta included. This, coupled with high speeds and unlimited bandwidth make it an attractive option for anyone looking to access geo-blocked streaming platforms abroad. In fact, ExpressVPN has no issues unblocking services like Netflix US, One Play, or BBC iPlayer. Users can secure up to five devices at once.
This VPN keeps you safe from snoopers with DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, a kill switch, and 256-bit AES encryption. It allows you to block local connections or let specific apps through the VPN (giving you lower latency when gaming, for instance). There’s no need to worry about your activities being revealed after the fact either since ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any logs that could identify you. Help is accessible 24/7 via email or live chat.
ExpressVPN apps are available for iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS, and Linux systems. Users can install custom router firmware or manually configure the VPN on compatible routers to protect every device on their network.
- Fast enough to play high-definition video without buffering
- Unblocks Smash TV and One Play abroad
- Great online security and privacy credentials
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly more pricey than other services
BEST VPN FOR MALTA:ExpressVPN is our first choice. This VPN is strong on security and privacy, and more than fast enough for live streaming. Better still, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee meaning you can try it risk-free.
For more details, read the complete ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 20 Maltese servers, and 6,400 others in a further 88 countries. In other words, it’s an excellent choice if you want to access region-locked services from around the world. Its speeds are more than fast enough for live streaming, and with a seven-connection limit, you’ll be able to watch on any device you like.
This VPN knows its users aren’t experts, which is why all of its security features come pre-configured. In other words, it automatically secures your data with 256-bit encryption, an ad-blocker and malware-scanner, a kill switch, and IPv6 and DNS leak protection. CyberGhost puts your privacy first and doesn’t log any personally identifiable data. Customer support staff can be reached 24/7 via email or live chat, meaning you’re never too far away from help.
CyberGhost offers simple yet powerful apps for iOS, MacOS, Windows, Android, and Linux. It can be manually configured for use with supported network routers.
- Fast and reliable Maltese servers
- Works with TVM, Fliving, and more
- All security features enabled by default
- Generous connection limit
- May be less suitable for power users
BEST LOW-COST VPN:CyberGhost provides access to two dozen fast Maltese servers, and can reliably unblock a whole host of geo-restricted services. It offers a 45-day money-back guarantee and a strong selection of pre-configured security features.
Check out our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN proves that sometimes, quantity isn’t everything. Its network of around 150 servers spans 60 countries (including Malta) and provides some of the fastest connections we’ve seen. Additionally, with servers that can easily unblock huge international streaming platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu, Maltese services like One Play and Net TV pose no issue whatsoever.
This VPN comes with a wide range of security features. There’s a customizable kill switch, for instance, as well as IPv6 and DNS leak protection and a stealth mode that lets you bypass country-wide internet restrictions in places like China. All of your traffic is kept hidden using 256-bit encryption. PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs at all so your privacy is all but guaranteed. Need help? Support staff can be contacted via live chat nearly 24/7.
PrivateVPN users can install apps for Linux, Android, MacOS, iOS, and Windows. This service can be manually installed on select internet routers.
- Among the fastest VPNs we’ve tested
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Strong focus on security and privacy
- Doesn’t have the largest network
STREAM ALMOST ANYTHING:PrivateVPN unblocks a huge range of popular services and has some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen. With powerful security features, a no-logs policy, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, this highly-versatile VPN makes itself an obvious choice.
Take a look at our comprehensive PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has over 3,200 high-speed servers spread throughout 80+ countries including Malta. There are no data caps, meaning users are free to stream or torrent as much as they like. On that note, Hotspot Shield unblocks plenty of popular services including Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and Crave. With a five-connection limit, you can secure all of your favorite devices at once.
This service clearly takes user security seriously. First and foremost, it doesn’t store any identifiable data after your session ends. Additionally, it uses 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks to ensure your data isn’t leaked. With round-the-clock support available over live chat and simple, easy-to-use apps, this service is an excellent choice for anyone new to VPNs.
Hotspot Shield provides apps for iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Android. With some manual configuration, it can secure your Linux system or router.
- Consistently high speeds
- Unblocks Maltese TV channels with ease
- Doesn’t compromise on security
- Has had privacy issues in the past
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
FAST AND RELIABLE:Hotspot Shield is a particularly fast VPN, and it has a real talent for unblocking stubborn streaming services. Equally important, it includes a solid selection of security and privacy features. All plans include a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Why not read our in-depth Hotspot Shield review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 days
ZenMate has more than 3,600 servers spread across Malta and a further 72 countries. While most other VPNs let you connect five or so devices at once, ZenMate has no connection limit, and as such, it’s perfect for people looking to secure a whole household. Further, with solid speeds and the ability to unblock TVM, Net TV, and more, this service cements its reputation as one of the most versatile VPNs on the market.
ZenMate has simple, easy-to-use apps for MacOS, iOS, Windows, and Android. It can be manually installed on your Linux system or compatible home router.
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Fast enough for live streaming video
- Strong on security and privacy
- Some slow speeds
WATCH MALTESE TV ABROAD:ZenMate provides solid speeds, strong security, and reliable connections, plus it unblocks a huge range of services including TVM. As if that wasn’t enough, it even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check our full ZenMate review for an even closer look at this service.
Getting a Maltese IP address: FAQs
⭐Can I get a Malta IP address with a free VPN?
It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to get an IP address from Malta using a free VPN. To begin with, these services usually have very small networks, with the main focus being on providing American servers. In contrast, free Maltese VPN servers are almost unheard of. Further, with higher numbers of users than paid services, these VPNs often struggle to provide the speeds required for general browsing, let alone streaming.
Of course, that’s not the only reason we recommend avoiding free VPNs. Major app stores are inundated with Trojans looking to take advantage of your desire to protect yourself, and many free VPNs fail to include crucial features like encryption or a kill switch. Simply, the best way to protect yourself online is with a well-established VPN that follows a strict no-logging policy.
⭐Why do I need a Maltese IP address?
Malta’s government doesn’t really censor anything, although it does block access to certain torrenting sites. This means that if you’re in a country with strict online restrictions, connecting to a Maltese server will let you access just about any website you like.
If you usually live in Malta, you could find yourself locked out of your HSBC, Bank of Valletta, or FIMBank account for nothing more than trying to log in while on vacation. However, by connecting to a Maltese VPN server ahead of time, you can greatly reduce the chance that your bank will notice you’re abroad.
⭐Can I stream Maltese TV online?
It’s actually quite easy to live stream Maltese TV. Many major networks have online live streams, and these tend to be free to watch. Take a look below for a short list of Maltese channels that you can watch online:
- One Play
- Net TV
- Smash TV
- 1 How to get an IP address from Malta abroad
- 2 Best VPNs for getting an IP address from Malta
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 2. CyberGhost
- 5 3. PrivateVPN
- 6 4. Hotspot Shield
- 7 5. ZenMate
- 8 Getting a Maltese IP address: FAQs
- 9 Can I get a Malta IP address with a free VPN?
- 10 Why do I need a Maltese IP address?
- 11 Can I stream Maltese TV online?