Hulu is only available in the USA, which means you’ll need a VPN to watch your account on vacation. That said, Hulu works hard to block US IP addresses known to belong to VPNs. This means that very few VPNs work to watch Hulu abroad and you must pick a provider carefully.
The good news is that AtlasVPN has US servers that have been thoroughly tested to successfully access Hulu. That means anybody can use AtlasVPN to stream Hulu on vacation.
Of course, if you occasionally find that AtlasVPN is not working with Hulu, you may feel a little frustrated. The good news is that it is pretty straightforward to remedy. In this troubleshooting guide, we have provided tips to fix Hulu with AtlasVPN. Scroll down to learn why AtlasVPN isn’t working and to get back to streaming your favorite Hulu shows on vacation.
Why isn’t AtlasVPN working with Hulu?
TV platforms like Hulu work hard to block VPN connections. They do this to stop people from sidestepping the region locks they have in place. Hulu is contractually obligated to region-lock its service because the content it has licensed is exclusively for broadcast in America.
To ensure that viewers outside of the US cannot watch movies and TV shows, Hulu tracks your IP address. If you are found to be located abroad, Hulu will serve you a location error:
“Video Not Available In This Location. This video is not available to watch in your current location. Please select something else to watch.”
By using a VPN, you can get a valid IP address in America. This will let you watch Hulu overseas. The only caveat is that if an IP address is found to belong to a VPN, Hulu will block it forever. As a result, very few VPNs work to watch Hulu abroad.
If you try to watch Hulu abroad while connected to a VPN server that has been blocked, you will receive the dreaded Hulu proxy error message:
“Based on your IP-address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available outside the U.S If you’re in the U.S, you’ll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu.”
Bear in mind that if you are using a VPN that is not recommended for Hulu, then you will need to cancel your subscription and pick one of the best VPNs for Hulu instead.
The good news is that AtlasVPN has US servers that are optimized for streaming platforms like Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu. The important thing to remember, however, is that not every AtlasVPN server works to watch Hulu, so you must be sure to pick the right one.
If you already have an AtlasVPN account (or a subscription with some other VPN that is supposed to work with Hulu), check out the information below.
Reasons why AtlasVPN might not be working with Hulu:
- The Atlas VPN server you are using has been blacklisted by Hulu.
- Your device’s GPS location and IP address do not match.
- Hulu has stored a cookie on your device that tells it where you really are.
- Your real IP address is leaking and the VPN is failing to conceal your location.
- The IP address you’re using is not compatible with Hulu.
How to use AtlasVPN to watch Hulu abroad?
If you are new to VPNs and don’t have experience using them, you may be wondering how to unblock Hulu. If this is your main problem, we have you covered with the quick guide below:
- Choose a VPN that works to watch Hulu abroad. AtlasVPN is fine, but we recommend NordVPN if you want the best option. Alternatively, Surfshark is the best cheap VPN for Hulu.
- Follow the above links to your favorite VPN for Hulu. Our links will let you subscribe to each of the VPNs at the lowest possible cost.
- Subscribe to the VPN and download the VPN app. Our recommendations have apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. This will let you stream Hulu on any device.
- Install the VPN app for your device and log in.
- Pick a server in the US, wait for it to connect, and launch Hulu.
As soon as your VPN connects, you can watch Hulu from abroad. If you have any problems watching Hulu using AtlasVPN, follow the tips below to get it working.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR HULU RISK FREE?
What problems happen when using AtlasVPN to watch Hulu?
If you are wondering what kind of problems can occur when trying to watch Hulu abroad with AtlasVPN, we have included these all below. We will provide solutions to each of these problems in the subsequent section.
- VPN is causing buffering and low-quality video playback.
- You are getting an incorrect password message when connected to AtlasVPN.
- Hulu gives you an error message or tells you that it is having trouble playing a video.
- You are completely failing to access the Hulu website or use the Hulu app while connected to AtlasVPN.
If one of the problems listed above applies to you, work through our troubleshooting tips to fix AtlasVPN with Hulu on any device.
How to fix AtlasVPN with Hulu
It doesn’t matter which of the problems listed in this guide you are experiencing. The steps below will allow you to get the VPN properly set up and working to stream Hulu anywhere in the world.
AtlasVPN is causing bad quality and buffering on Hulu
If you are successfully using AtlasVPN to watch Hulu — but it is causing poor-quality video playback and a lot of buffering — it is possible that you may want to subscribe to an alternative VPN for Hulu. AtlasVPN is currently only the 7th best VPN for Hulu, which means that there are several better VPNs available.
That said, AtlasVPN is actually very fast, so it is worth trying the fixes below to see if that gets it working better for you.
- Connect to a VPN server that is physically closer to you. Choosing a server on the East or West coast of America may be better depending on where you are currently located.
- Ask AtlasVPN which server is optimized for streaming Hulu.
- Try changing the VPN protocol in your VPN application. We recommend WireGuard for better streaming (this is the default protocol with AltasVPN, but it is worth checking your settings to be sure you didn’t alter it previously).
AtlasVPN not working with Hulu
If your problem watching Hulu with AtlasVPN is more severe than slow connection speeds, you will need to work through the steps below. Our troubleshooting tips work to watch Hulu with AtlasVPN on most compatible devices.
Here’s how to fix AtlasVPN not working with Hulu:
- Restart your computer, restart the Atlas VPN application, and launch your browser again.
- Try re-installing Atlas VPN to ensure it is up-to-date.
- Clear the cookies and cache in your browser.
- Try connecting to a different VPN server location (check with AtlasVPN).
- Try a different browser.
- Ask AtlasVPN which US server is optimized for Hulu
- Check that DNS leak protection is enabled. AtlasVPN enables it by default, but it is worth checking with AtlasVPN if you seem to be getting a DNS leak (in our tests there were none.)
- Try using an alternate VPN protocol. We recommend WireGuard but you can try IKEv2 as well.
- Switch to streaming on a desktop PC or laptop rather than a mobile device.
- Disable GPS in your browser and on your device.
The steps above will fix most problems when watching Hulu with AtlasVPN. In the unlikely event that you are still struggling, we recommend that you contact the 24/7 live chat support. AtlasVPN agents are very helpful. However, bear in mind that live chat support is only available to subscribers so you will need to log in to the website.
Which VPNs still work with Hulu?
Although AtlasVPN works to unblock Hulu, it is not currently the best VPN available for the task. Below, you can see which VPNs came out on top in our recent tests.
Best VPNs to watch Hulu abroad:
- NordVPN: #1 VPN to watch Hulu. Super-fast NordLynx protocol for streaming, torrenting, and gaming. Secure apps for all devices. Many advanced privacy features. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best cheap VPN for Hulu. Highly reliable and secure. Fast servers and WireGuard protocol. Allows unlimited connections.
- ExpressVPN: Consistently unblocks Hulu from abroad. Fantastic speeds thanks to its Lightway protocol. Strong on privacy and security features.
- CyberGhost: Fast speeds and works well with Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and more. Ideal for beginners
- Private Internet Access: Solid US-based provider with secure apps. Decent speeds. Lots of customizability options. Works to watch Hulu and Netflix.
- PrivateVPN: A reliable VPN for torrenting and streaming. Based in Sweden. Works with Hulu, iPlayer, HBO, Netflix, and many more.
- AtlasVPN: A reliable VPN that works consistently to gain online privacy and unblocking.
- VyprVPN: Currently unblocks Hulu and many other streaming services.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Hulu abroad?
We recommend against using free VPNs for various reasons. Firstly, free VPNs cause many performance issues. Free VPNs have small server networks that are used by hundreds of thousands of users. This makes them sluggish and ill-suited to streaming HD videos. It also makes them easy to spot and block by services like Hulu. As a result, we have yet to find any free VPNs that work to watch Hulu abroad.
Besides these performance issues, we recommend avoiding free VPNs for security reasons. Free providers have invasive privacy policies that allow them to track users and sell that data for profiling purposes. This is the exact opposite of what a VPN is meant to do, which is to provide you with online privacy.
Studies have also revealed that free VPNs often lack solid encryption, suffer from leaks, have insecure apps, server vulnerabilities, and even put spyware in their applications. This makes free VPNs a huge risk to the safety of your data and devices.