Hulu is one of the most popular streaming services, home to vast amounts of high-quality content, including Hulu originals. Unfortunately, despite its popularity, it is currently only available in the USA and Japan. This can frustrating for viewers who want to access their favorite content from overseas, such as while living or working in France. Luckily there is a way around these geo-restrictions and access Hulu while in France, you just need the right VPN.
Sadly, not all VPNs work because Hulu is extremely good at blocking them. In addition, not all VPNs are fast enough to stream Hulu without buffering. But some VPNs still manage to get around its blocks, and those are the ones we’ve listed here. This article covers step-by-step instructions on how to use a VPN to gain a US IP address and access Hulu from France. And we’ve also got instructions on downloading the Hulu app and paying for a subscription from outside the US.
Let’s get started.
How to access Hulu in France with a VPN
Here’s how to watch Hulu online in France:
- Select a VPN from our list below. We particularly recommend NordVPN because it has super-fast servers in the USA that work reliably with Hulu.
- Subscribe to the VPN and download the app onto your streaming device.
- Install the VPN app and log in using your credentials.
- Connect to a server located in the US, this will give you the US IP address you’ll need to access Hulu.
- Open Hulu in a web browser or the Hulu app and either login or subscribe.
- Hulu should now be working. If not, try clearing your cookies and cache before reloading the page or trying a different server.
- If you’re still struggling, contact your VPN’s customer service team and ask them to point you to a server that is optimized for Hulu.
Note that servers often get blocked, and new ones are added as Hulu works to stop access and VPNs find ways around this. For this reason, it’s a good idea to choose a VPN provider with live, 24/7, knowledgeable customer support, like NordVPN.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP HULU VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Hulu with no restrictions for a month – great if you want to stream Hulu in France.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPNs for Hulu
There are hundreds of VPNs on the market, but they are not all suitable for streaming Hulu in France. Many VPNs have slow apps and servers that make it impossible to stream Hulu without buffering. In addition, thanks to Hulu’s stringent VPN detection policies, most VPNs have now been blocked by Hulu and won’t work at all.
In this guide, we have recommended the best VPNs to unblock Hulu from France based on the following criteria:
- Has plenty of US servers that work to access Hulu from outside the USA.
- Has fast enough servers to stream in HD.
- It has a no-logs policy that ensures complete privacy.
- Reliable customer support via 24/7 live chat.
- A secure connection with robust encryption and plenty of privacy features.
With that in mind, here’s our list of the best VPNs to watch Hulu in France:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for watching Hulu from France. Excellent apps for all platforms. A choice of almost 2,000 US servers to access Hulu, Netflix, and other popular services. Strong on privacy and extremely versatile. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best Budget VPN to stream Hulu in France. Highly reliable. No logs VPN with solid encryption. Works to stream Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and many more. Connect as many devices as you like.
- ExpressVPN: Consistently provides access to Hulu from abroad. Superfast thanks to its Lightway protocol. Lots of advanced privacy and security features.
- CyberGhost: The best option for beginners. Very easy to use. Massive amount of servers in 90+ countries, including over 1450 in the US. Works well with Hulu.
- PrivateVPN: Impressive VPN from Sweden. Fast speeds for streaming and torrenting. Works well with Hulu. Plenty of advanced security features.
- AtlasVPN: A fast US-based VPN that is perfect for streaming Netflix, Hulu, and more. Unlimited connections per account. Extra security, including MultiHop.
- VyprVPN: Fully audited service. Servers in 70+ countries. No logs policy. Works with Hulu and many other streaming services.
If any of these take your fancy, visit our Best VPNs for Hulu article to read about them in more detail. And if you’d like to know more about how we test and rank the VPNs that we recommend, head over to our detailed VPN testing methodology article.
Hulu not working with your VPN? Troubleshooting guide
If you have subscribed to a recommended VPN for Hulu but you are still encountering issues, this section is designed to help.
Common issues when connecting to Hulu
If you have connected to your VPN but are still encountering an error message, you may need to tweak some settings on your device. IPv6 leaks are a common issue, so we have included instructions on how to disable IPv6 on Mac and Windows below.
You should also try clearing your browser cache and cookies, as they can allow Hulu to detect where you really are. Finally, be sure to check with your VPN provider to ensure you are connecting to a US server that is optimized for streaming Hulu (not all US servers necessarily work, so be sure to use the right one).
Trouble logging in to Hulu
If you’ve signed up for Hulu but can’t log in while connected to your VPN, check the following:
- Your email address and password combination are correct
- Your subscription is still active
- You are accessing Hulu from the US or using one of the VPNs recommended above to connect through a US server
- Your payment method is still valid, e.g., your credit card has not expired
- If you’re accessing Hulu through another streaming service or bundle, you might need to take extra steps to complete the activation process
- If you’re on a Live TV plan, you must set your Home network on living room devices and check in at least once every 30 days. You can only stream on living room devices from your home network. Hulu only lets you change your home network four times per year.
- Your Hulu app is updated.
- Location services are enabled on your device and/or browser.
- Clear your cookies and web cache.
How to disable IPv6
There is a chance that you may still suffer errors when using the VPNs on this list if your ISP is providing you with an IPv6 address. Most VPNs do not actively protect against IPv6 leaks, which means that you must disable this kind of connection manually.
A VPN can route your traffic via its own DNS servers and mask your IPv4 address, but IPv6 addresses may still be tracked. Below, we have provided instructions for avoiding this issue by reverting back to IPv4 manually.
How to disable IPv6 on a Windows PC (Windows 10):
- Disconnect and close the VPN app
- Tap Windows Key+R to open the Run prompt
- Type ncpa.cpl and hit Enter to open your Network Connections
- Find the connection you are using, right click it, and select Properties
- On the Networking or General tab, uncheck the box that says “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)”
- Click OK to save changes and close the Window
- Tap Windows Key+R and select Command Prompt (Admin), then hit Yes when asked if it’s okay for the program to make changes to your computer
- In the command prompt (black window), type ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter.
- Reconnect to the VPN, refresh the Hulu page, and enjoy the video!
How to disable IPv6 on Mac OSX:
- Disconnect and close the VPN app
- Open the Apple menu.
- Choose System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Advanced
- Click TCP/IP.
- Click on the Configure IPv6 pop-up menu and select Off.
- Click OK and Apply (to apply the change).
- Reconnect to the VPN, refresh the Hulu page, and enjoy the video!
How to download the Hulu app from France – or anywhere outside the US
Hulu is only available in US app stores, so if your device is registered on an app store outside the US, you will need to either
- Change the location associated with your app store account
- Create a US app store account
- Download the Hulu APK from a third-party app repository (Android only)
Don’t panic, here we’ll talk you through downloading the Hulu app from outside the US on both iOS and Android.
How to download the Hulu app on iOS (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV) outside the US:
- Open your VPN and connect to a server located in the USA
- We recommend making a new account rather than changing your existing one, as doing so will not affect your existing apps and purchases. Log out of your Apple ID and create a new one in the US.
- Or, if you insist on changing an existing account to the US: On your device, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > View Apple ID > Country/Region > Change Country or Region
- Choose the US as your country
- For payment method, choose None (you will still need a US payment method to pay for Hulu, more on that later.)
- Agree to the terms and conditions
How to download the Hulu app on Android outside the US:
- Open your VPN and connect to a server located in the USA
- Go to payments.google.com
- Go to Settings > Edit
- Change your address to a US one. Make sure the zip code matches.
- Accept changes
- On your device, close the Play Store
- In Apps, find the Google Play Store
- Select Force Stop and Clear All Data
- Open the Play Store again, and you should be able to download and install Hulu
As a last resort, you can opt to download the Hulu APK file from a third-party app repository. This will require you to allow apps from unknown sources, which could expose you to malware infections. For this reason, it is imperative that you stick to third-party APK sites that have a good reputation and are known to curate their apps carefully.
How to get a Hulu subscription in France – or anywhere outside the US
Hulu doesn’t just require that your IP address is in the United States. Payment for an account must also originate in America. If you live outside of the country and don’t have a local card or PayPal account, you will need to overcome this obstacle.
If you are a US citizen heading to France, we recommend taking out your Hulu subscription before you go because once you’re overseas, it gets a little trickier. But it’s not impossible, and we have included some options below.
Please note that though many consumers claim these methods work, we have not actually tested these ourselves. Of the options listed, we’d say a pre-paid gift card that is delivered by email seems to be the best option.
- A prepaid gift card from this website costs about $25 plus however much credit you want to put on your Hulu account. After initially setting up the account, you can buy Hulu gift cards on Amazon or elsewhere online for subsequent payments. That way, you don’t have to pay the $20 premium after the first month. Similar prepaid card options are available on eBay as well.
- EntroPay allows you to make payments online by setting up a prepaid virtual visa card. Users report that this cannot be used to make a payment directly to Hulu, but it can be used to set up a US-based PayPal account. The PayPal account can then be used to make payments on Hulu.
- StatesPay is a virtual credit card provider that costs $3.95 per month. In theory, you should be able to pay for the first month to set up the account and then use Hulu gift cards to make subsequent payments.
- Prepaid cards from Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover that are linked to a US address.
- Try changing your PayPal account country or create a new PayPal that is based in the US.
Watching Hulu in France with a VPN: FAQs
Which VPNs don't work with Hulu?
The following VPNs do not work with Hulu at the time of writing – although it is by no means a comprehensive list, there are many more VPN providers out there!
- Hotspot Shield
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
Can I use a free VPN to stream Hulu?
Unfortunately, we have yet to find any free VPNs that work with Hulu. This is because Hulu works hard to block VPNs, and free VPNs are almost always the first to go.
IP addresses on free VPN servers are used by hundreds of users at once, which makes it obvious to Hulu that those consumers are connecting via a VPN. As a result, trying to watch Hulu with a free VPN (and many paid VPNs), results in this message:
“Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available outside the US. If you’re in the US, you’ll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu.”
In addition, free VPNs are extremely slow, which means that even if they did unblock Hulu (which they don’t), they would constantly suffer from buffering and make streaming impossible. With this in mind, the only way to stream Hulu from France is to use a recommended VPN from this guide.
The good news is that you can try a Hulu VPN for free because our recommendations have a money-back guarantee to let you try their service. This means that you can compare each of our recommendations yourself before settling on an option long-term.
Why is Hulu geo-restricted?
Hulu is bound by the licensing agreements it enters into with copyright holders and publishers. This prevents it from broadcasting its content anywhere but the USA.
Hulu would probably like to branch out to other regions to make more money, and it is possible that in the future Hulu will decide to cater to other markets.
For the time being, however, Hulu has decided to license its content for just one region. As a result, it must keep using geo-restrictions to prevent anybody outside of the USA from streaming on Hulu.
And, unfortunately, it makes no difference whether you are a legitimate Hulu subscriber. When you leave the United States on vacation or for business, your IP address no longer registers as a valid US residency. This allows Hulu’s servers to automatically block you. This is why you need a VPN to change your IP address when you travel. Then, your foreign IP is concealed, and you appear to be back in America.
What can I watch on Hulu with a VPN?
Hulu is one of the most popular online streaming platforms in the US. Three of America’s leading TV stations, Fox, ABC, and NBC, joined forces to create Hulu. As a result, the streaming platform carries a ton of content from across those three broadcasters. And it now even includes live broadcasts thanks to Hulu Live TV.
A subscription to Hulu also provides access to content from other networks, including Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, FX, SyFy, PBS, Style, and Cartoon Network. This gives you an endless amount of content to watch, and Hulu constantly adds new content to its streaming platform as soon as it has aired on TV.
We have listed some of the most popular shows on Hulu below:
- Solar Opposites
- Normal People
- Killing Eve
- Veronica Mars
- 30 Rock
- Bob’s Burgers
Is using a VPN with Hulu legal?
Hulu could theoretically suspend or terminate a VPN user’s account, but to our knowledge, this has never happened thus far. Instead, Hulu tries to block VPNs themselves, which is why it can be hard to find a service that works (like the one recommended in this guide).
Can I watch Hulu Japan in France?
If you want to watch Hulu Japan in France, you’ll need to connect your device to a VPN server in Japan. Due to the fact that Hulu has been bought out in Japan, it is likely you will need to have a Japanese account to watch the Japanese version of Hulu. The VPNs we recommend have servers in Japan, but please bear in mind that we only test VPNs with the US version of Hulu.
Can I stream Hulu from my Smart TV with a VPN?
Most smart TVs do not support VPN apps directly. This means you will need to either stream from a device that supports VPN apps (such as a laptop, tablet, or Amazon Fire TV Stick) or set up your VPN on a Wi-Fi router so that the TV is protected automatically.
Will using Hulu and a VPN slow down my net?
All VPNs will slow your connection a certain amount. This is because the VPN causes some overheads by encrypting your data and routing it to a proxy VPN server location.
The good news is that the VPN we have recommended provides super-fast speeds with enough bandwidth to stream Hulu in HD. As a result, most internet users should not experience any issues.
Just remember that unreliable, low-quality, and free VPNs are unable to give you the throughput and speeds needed for HD streaming. This is why you must stick to a high-quality VPN for Hulu.
See also: What to do if your laptop is slow
How to solve the Hulu home location error
To prevent account sharing and allow access to local channels, Hulu asks users to set their home network within 30 days of signing up. It also limits which devices will work if you use your account outside of that home network.
For example, a Firestick or game console might only be able to stream Hulu on your home network. If you share your password with a family member or friend on the network of a different home, they won’t be able to stream on certain devices (such as a games console or Firestick).
Instead, they might get an error message like this:
> “Your Hulu subscription allows you to use this type of device only on your home network. If you have moved or your internet service provider has changed, please update your Home Location in your Hulu Account settings on a computer.”
> Video not available in this location.
These errors may be served for other reasons as well, such as Hulu not being able to identify your current network, using a shared wi-fi network, not checking in on your smartphone, or using a non-compatible VPN.
To fix this issue, you should update your home network. If you’re on a VPN, this can be tricky, as your IP address probably changes every time you connect to the VPN. If your VPN has the option to use a dedicated or static IP address, this can be a useful workaround.
Once you’re on the network or VPN server that you want to use to watch Hulu:
- Log out of Hulu
- Log back in on a streaming device like a Firestick, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, smart TV, or game console.
- Open your Hulu account page on the smartphone app or desktop website
- Click Privacy and Settings
- Click Set or Change Home and set your new network
If you’re trying to watch Hulu on the go, you might also encounter an error. If this occurs, you may need to check in to show Hulu you live where the home network is registered. You can check into Hulu by signing into the app while connected to your home network.
Note that you can only change your home network four times per year, and Hulu + Live TV is a single-home service, so you can’t use it outside of your home.