Belgian residents or those visiting the country can make use of a stable Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection. VPNs set up an encrypted tunnel and redirect all internet traffic to and from your device via an intermediary server in a location that you choose. So if you pick a server in Belgium, your actual IP address is replaced with a Belgian IP address. All the websites and apps you connect to will assume you’re in your chosen location and open up local content.
Using a VPN for Belgium while abroad will help you access local television channels like Sport10, Focus TV, Comedy Central, VRT and Euronews. Plus, it will assist with accessing online banking services from AXA Bank, Argenta, Keytrade Bank, and more. Because a VPN encrypts your traffic, it also keeps hackers and snoopers safely at bay.
If you want to skip straight to our recommendations, here’s our quick reference list of the best VPNs for Belgium:
Best VPN services for Belgium:
- NordVPN: Our top choice as a VPN for Belgium.Vast server network that covers all parts of the world. Good unblocking capability and friendly customer support.
- Surfshark: Best budget alternative for Belgium. Up-and-coming service that allows an unlimited number of devices. Strong unblocking ability.
- ExpressVPN: High-performance service that uses stringent encryption parameters without compromising on speed. Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- CyberGhost: Very fast speeds, easy-to-use apps, and proven ability to bypass filters on many geo-restricted streaming sites.
- IPVanish: Owns all servers, giving it full marks on privacy and security. Decent server network and speeds. Unlimited connections.
- PrivateVPN: Keeps your connection private, as the name suggests. Smaller server network, but delivers very fast speeds and unblocks a plethora of streaming sites.
- Hotspot Shield: A fast and reliable VPN with servers in Belgium and 80+ other countries.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR BELGIUM RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Belgium without limits or restrictions for a month—great if you want to gain privacy and freedom online.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for Belgium
It is easy to find VPNs on the internet but it would be a mistake to place them all in one category. Many are inferior and lack features, which is why you must pick carefully.
Later in this article, we will provide additional information about how we test and recommend VPNs. Below, you can see some of the criteria we used to find the best VPNs for Belgium:
- Offers lots of server options, including a wide variety in most major countries. Bonus points for options in Belgium.
- Able to unblock many geo-restricted streaming services
- Fast speeds with little to no downtime
- Top-notch encryption and security parameters so your digital footprint is never revealed
- Allows multiple simultaneous connections
- Provides friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt customer support
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Belgium:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice. This hardy provider operates a network of over 5,100+ servers with 69 of them housed in Belgium. It’s headquartered in Panama, which means there aren’t any mandatory data retention laws to comply with.
Power users love NordVPN for its customizability and the option to select servers for specific tasks such as streaming, double VPN, and Tor over VPN. You can also take a look at current server loads if you want one which has relatively fewer connections.
NordVPN can help you access many streaming sites such as US Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN, Sky, and more from anywhere in the world. The desktop version also offers detailed guides on how to unblock a specific service, so you can rest easy.
All accounts are secured by 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol. Additional security measures include an internet kill switch and DNS leak protection.
You can use NordVPN on Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. There are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox, too. A standard plan allows for six devices to connect at the same time and customer support is available 24/7.
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption for great privacy
- Very fast
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat
- Collects advertising IDs on mobile
BEST BUDGET OPTION FOR BELGIUM:NordVPN delivers a fantastic product without breaking the bank. It unblocks Netflix and several other streaming providers. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is the youngest VPN provider on this list, but it’s done a good job of differentiating itself. It hosts over 3,200 servers in 65 countries, including options in Belgium.
One of Surfshark’s most compelling features is that it currently offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. This means you can liberally share with friends and family, without any concerns. Plus, it ranks very high on both speed and unblocking capability — it’s able to sidestep regional restrictions on several sites including Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands so there are no mandatory data retention laws it has to comply with. All web traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an internet kill switch. It supports Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. 24/7 live support comes as standard.
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Kill switch on all platforms
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Easy to use
- Servers in 65 countries
- Some servers are slower than others
UNLIMITED DEVICES:Surfshark offers fast connections to all corners of the globe along with the flexibility to connect to as many devices as you would like. 24/7 support and user-friendly apps mean you’ll be online in a few minutes. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is our top choice for Belgium. It’s one of the best VPNs out there, delivering robust speeds, 24/7 customer support, and military-grade encryption. It has over 3,000 servers to choose from in 94 countries, including options in Belgium.
ExpressVPN’s apps are very easy to use and help you get online in a matter of minutes. You can either select a server of your choice or go for a ‘smart location’ setting which selects one that’s best suited for you. What’s more, we’ve tested this provider on several geo-restricted streaming sites such as US Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer, and it’s easily circumvented restrictions on each one.
ExpressVPN uses best-in-class security standards such as 256-bit AES encryption, also called ‘military-grade.’ Additional features to secure your connection include an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy. IP addresses are not recorded, nor is any other data that could potentially identify individual users.
Apps for Android and iOS can be downloaded from the relevant app stores, and there are desktop versions for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. A single account allows for up to five simultaneous connections. Customer support is available 24/7 via live chat.
- Extremely fast download/streaming speeds
- One of the best all-around VPNs
- Solid privacy and security
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Power-users may find the advanced options limited
TOP VPN FOR BELGIUM:ExpressVPN is our top choice for Belgium. It’s privacy-conscious and offers quick speeds and reliable troubleshooting. All plans come with a 30-day no-questions money-back guarantee, making it a risk-free option.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish does well from a privacy perspective without compromising on speed or other facets of the VPN experience. At the time of writing, it offers more than 1,900 servers spread across 60 countries with Belgium hosting three of them.
This company is another ‘no-logs’ provider because it declines to track and store any user data. What’s more, IPVanish owns and operates its entire network of servers which gives it a higher degree of control over user traffic. That’s different from the industry standard which is to either rent space in server farms or outsource operations to a third-party operator.
IPVanish secures all connections with 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch.
This provider is a known favorite with torrenters and Kodi users for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it enables them to download the Android APK directly to their device. Its interface is also remote control-friendly for Kodi devices that typically don’t have a keyboard and mouse. It works with several streaming services such as Netflix.
An unlimited number of devices can connect simultaneously under one plan. Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS, and there’s 24/7 live chat for customer support.
- Owns rather than rents its servers
- Strong encryption makes apps secure
- No-logs policy
- Can’t pay with cryptocurrency
ALL-ROUNDER:IPVanish will keep you secure on the internet and help you as you go about your online activities. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is based in Sweden. It doesn’t log any data or other personally identifiable information.
The only small downside is that PrivateVPN’s server network is relatively smaller compared to the other providers on this list. However, it still covers more than 250 servers in 66 locations, including one in Belgium. In our extensive user testing, PrivateVPN was able to deliver consistent, fast speeds as well as access to streaming services. These include Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
256-bit encryption is used to secure web traffic. Additional measures include perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. A paid account allows for six devices to connect simultaneously.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Fewer servers in each country
- Live chat is not around the clock
FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN’s servers are optimized for speed and privacy. This VPN is set up for beginner users and features like remote assistance can help you troubleshoot all problems. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield is a US-based VPN provider that is ideally suited to streaming. It has apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android that come with its super-fast proprietary VPN protocol, Catapult Hydra. This makes it a good option for accessing Belgian TV channels and streaming platforms from abroad. Plus, this VPN works to access Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and other popular international streaming services.
This VPN has a kill-switch and robust AES encryption to ensure your data stays safe whether at home or on public wi-fi. It is also ideal for preventing surveillance capitalism, and for avoiding hacking when using public hotspots. This VPN also permits torrenting, which makes it a good all-rounder.
The only slight drawback is that this VPN does store some connection logs. However, it stores no identifiable usage logs that could be used to track the websites you visited at a later date. You can test it yourself using its 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Plenty of servers to choose from
- Includes a kill switch in every version of the app
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Unblocks major streaming services
- Based in the US
- Keeps some connection logs
FAST FOR STREAMING:Hotspot Shield works to stream Belgian TV platforms like RTL, La Deux, and Eén from abroad. Works with Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, and other popular platforms. Allows torrenting. 45-day money-back guarantee to test the service.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Belgium VPN testing methodology
There are over 100 consumer-facing VPNs on the market, and they nearly all claim to be the best, the most secure, or the fastest. The unfortunate reality is that most of those VPNs would be a waste of your time and money.
At Comparitech, we use a scientific VPN testing methodology to ensure we only recommend VPNs for Belgium that have everything you need. Below we have included some of the features we look for when testing VPNs:
- Secure apps. Many VPNs have outdated apps, and lack the privacy features you need to stay secure in Belgium. We only recommend VPNs with reliable apps that are fully featured with a kill-switch, and other useful features such as split tunneling and obfuscation.
- Fast servers. If a VPN has a slow network it isn’t suitable for streaming, gaming, torrenting, and making video calls. We test VPN speeds to ensure that the VPN will let you do everything you want online.
- Leak protection. A leaky VPN fails to provide the privacy it advertises. We look for VPNs that have strong encryption and test for IP and DNS leaks to ensure everything you do online will remain secure against eavesdropping ISPs, local networks, and government agencies.
- Protection against hackers. A reliable VPN will provide privacy against data snoops and will also be secure against hackers. We recommend VPNs that secure protocols and encryption to ensure you’d data is safe against hackers when you connect to public wi-fi hotspots.
- Servers around the world. We test VPN speeds and check that the VPN has servers in Belgium and elsewhere that work to access Netflix, Belgian TV services, internet banking, and other important services.
- A no logs policy. A reliable VPN provider never stores any records about what you do online while connected. This ensures your privacy both now and in the future and means that the VPN will not be able to tell anybody what you did while connected.
Should I use a free VPN for Belgium?
Free VPN services are heavily advertised across the internet and they might appear to be an attractive option given the lack of any upfront payment. However, free services don’t prioritize user privacy and speed; you probably won’t be offered top-notch encryption or features like 24/7 live chat. This means things like streaming Netflix or safely connecting to public wifi aren’t a straightforward affair.
Free VPNs have to make money to pay for business overheads such as office space, staff salaries, and server maintenance. Hence, they might overwhelm you with pesky actions like advertisements, pop-ups, and other frequent interruptions to get you to upgrade to a paid plan. You should be prepared for an extremely limited choice of servers (with no guarantee of a Belgian location), limited bandwidth, and data caps.
Some free VPN services have knowingly inserted malware in user devices. Others have taken it one step further and leveraged idle user bandwidth to build botnet armies. This goes against the basic principles of VPN use such as data protection, privacy, and security.
To sum it up, if you want your web activity to remain private and secure to stream geo-restricted media services, access public wifi, or log on to filtered sites, then free VPNs are a poor fit. A paid VPN gives you peace of mind for just a few dollars every month.
How to use a VPN in Belgium
Whether you’re currently resident in Belgium, visiting the country, or planning to relocate there in the near future, the use of a VPN will greatly enhance your overall internet experience.
Here’s how to set up a VPN in Belgium:
- The first thing you should decide on is a provider that works to your requirements. We recommend NordVPN but our other recommendations are excellent alternatives.
- Then go ahead and register with your credit card. Some providers accept PayPal, Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies too.
- After confirmation of payment, you will receive an introductory email from the VPN provider of your choice. Proceed to download the relevant apps for your device from official app stores; avoid third-party sites.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies and restart your device once the installation is complete.
- Log in to the service. Connect to a server in Belgium for a Belgian IP address or one outside the country for a different one.
- Congratulations! Now your internet connection is encrypted and private and you will be able to access all the content you want.
Belgium VPN FAQ
How are Belgium’s internet freedoms?
As a pluralistic Western democracy, Belgium scores high on press, media, and internet freedoms. Its constitution guarantees freedom of expression, right of access to information, and protection of journalists. However, one area where Belgium ranks poorly is torrenting.
In a case initiated by the Belgian Anti-Piracy Foundation, a local court in Antwerp ordered ISPs in the country to block access to popular torrenting site The Pirate Bay. That’s despite a ruling by the European Court of Justice which determined any attempts to filter traffic by ISPs violate user privacy and their freedom to receive and impart information.
If you plan on downloading torrents in Belgium it’s best to protect yourself by connecting to a VPN first. It’ll prevent your ISP from throttling or blocking your connection.
DISCLAIMER: Comparitech does not encourage using a VPN to stream or download content illegally. Please consult local laws beforehand if you’re not sure of the ramifications and refer to a local lawyer for expert advice.
Can I watch Netflix in Belgium?
If you log on to Netflix with a Belgian IP address, you’ll be offered the local library of content. This is regardless of whether the account was registered in another country. If you’d like to view a different library, such as the one back home in the US, you’ll have to connect to a VPN server first.
If you select a server in the US, you’ll be granted a local IP address and appear as if you’re actually in the country. Note that some providers have servers specifically for Netflix so do check with customer support if you run into issues.
Can I use a VPN to access my bank account abroad?
Banking and financial services companies are very careful about incoming traffic due to the frequency of fraud and sensitivity of data. Hence, if you try to access your online Belgian bank account from a non-Belgian IP address, you could run the risk of raising compliance red flags. Security audits mean your account could be tagged as one that’s fallen victim to a fraud attempt.
To overcome this problem, you can connect to a VPN and port your location back into Belgium. This will help you avoid security-related concerns and prevent you from being locked out of your account while on a work or leisure trip.