Belgian residents or those visiting the country can make use of a stable Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection. VPNs set up an encrypted tunnel and redirect all internet traffic to and from your device via an intermediary server in a location that you choose. So if you pick a server in Belgium, your actual IP address is replaced with a Belgian IP address. All the websites and apps you connect to will assume you’re in your chosen location and open up local content.
Using a VPN for Belgium while abroad will help you access local television channels like Sport10, Focus TV, Comedy Central, and Euronews. Plus, it will assist with accessing online banking services from AXA Bank, Argenta, Keytrade Bank, and more. Because a VPN encrypts your traffic, it also keeps hackers and snoopers safely at bay.
If you want to skip straight to our recommendations, here’s our quick reference list of the best VPNs for Belgium:
Best VPN services for Belgium:
- ExpressVPN: Our top choice as a VPN for Belgium. High-performance service that uses stringent encryption parameters without compromising on speed. Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- NordVPN: Best budget alternative for Belgium. Vast server network that covers all parts of the world. Good unblocking capability and friendly customer support.
- CyberGhost: Very fast speeds, easy-to-use apps, and proven ability to bypass filters on many geo-restricted streaming sites.
- IPVanish: Owns all servers, giving it full marks on privacy and security. Decent server network and speeds.
- Surfshark: Up-and-coming service that allows an unlimited number of devices. Strong unblocking ability.
- PrivateVPN: Keeps your connection private, as the name suggests. Smaller server network, but delivers very fast speeds and unblocks a plethora of streaming sites.
VPNs are easy to find on the internet but it would be a mistake to place them all in one category. Our list of the best VPNs for Belgium is based on analysis of the following parameters:
- Offers lots of server options, including a wide variety in most major countries. Bonus points for options in Belgium.
- Incorporates a consistent ability to unblock many geo-restricted streaming services
- Delivers very fast speeds with little to no downtime
- Makes use of top-notch encryption and security parameters so your digital footprint is never revealed
- Allows multiple simultaneous connections
- Provides friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt customer support
Best VPNs for Belgium
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Belgium:
ExpressVPN is our top choice for Belgium. It’s one of the best VPNs out there, delivering robust speeds, 24/7 customer support, and military-grade encryption. It has over 3,000 servers to choose from in 94 countries, including options in Belgium.
ExpressVPN’s apps are very easy to use and help you get online in a matter of minutes. You can either select a server of your choice or go for a ‘smart location’ setting which selects one that’s best suited for you. What’s more, we’ve tested this provider on several geo-restricted streaming sites such as US Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer, and it’s easily circumvented restrictions on each one.
ExpressVPN uses best-in-class security standards such as 256-bit AES encryption, also called ‘military-grade.’ Additional features to secure your connection include an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy. IP addresses are not recorded, nor is any other data that could potentially identify individual users.
Apps for Android and iOS can be downloaded from the relevant app stores, and there are desktop versions for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. A single account allows for up to five simultaneous connections. Customer support is available 24/7 via live chat.
- Extremely fast download/streaming speeds
- One of the best all-around VPNs
- Solid privacy and security
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Power-users may find the advanced options limited
TOP VPN FOR BELGIUM:ExpressVPN is our top choice for Belgium. It’s privacy-conscious and offers quick speeds and reliable troubleshooting. All plans come with a 30-day no-questions money-back guarantee, making it a risk-free option.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
NordVPN is an excellent choice for users on a budget. This hardy provider operates a network of over 5,500 servers with 69 of them housed in Belgium. It’s headquartered in Panama, which means there aren’t any mandatory data retention laws to comply with.
Power users love NordVPN for its customizability and the option to select servers for specific tasks such as streaming, double VPN, and Tor over VPN. You can also take a look at current server loads if you want one which has relatively fewer connections.
NordVPN can help you access many streaming sites such as US Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN, Sky, and more from anywhere in the world. The desktop version also offers detailed guides on how to unblock a specific service, so you can rest easy.
All accounts are secured by 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol. Additional security measures include an internet kill switch and DNS leak protection.
You can use NordVPN on Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. There are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox, too. A standard plan allows for six devices to connect at the same time and customer support is available 24/7.
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption for great privacy
- A great low-cost alternative for streaming
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat
- Can’t specify a city you want to connect to
BEST BUDGET OPTION FOR BELGIUM:NordVPN delivers a fantastic product without breaking the bank. It unblocks Netflix and several other streaming providers. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of NordVPN.
Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
CyberGhost has over 5,700 servers in 90 countries around the world, including Belgium. This provider is known for its quick speeds while streaming, so you can enjoy watching without any noticeable lag or buffering. It can unblock many geo-restricted services including Netflix and BBCiPlayer. What’s more, it’s designed for VPN newcomers and is very easy to set up and get started with.
All user traffic is guarded by 256-bit encryption in conjunction with 2,048-bit DHE-RSA keys. But that’s not all; the security package includes perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, an ad blocker, and anti-malware defense.
CyberGhost has a policy of not storing any user data, including IP addresses. You can access the service on Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS as well as via browser extensions on Chrome and Firefox. A single subscription allows for seven devices to connect at the same time.
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Streams HD video seamlessly
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Easy-to-use apps
- Torrenting and P2P won’t work on all servers
FAST SPEEDS AND STRONG PRIVACY:CyberGhost gives you speed, privacy, and the option to unblock lots of streaming sites. There’s a 45-day money-back guarantee on all packages.
Read our full user review of CyberGhost.
Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
IPVanish does well from a privacy perspective without compromising on speed or other facets of the VPN experience. At the time of writing, it offers more than 1,300 servers spread across 60 countries with Belgium hosting three of them.
This company is another ‘no-logs’ provider because it declines to track and store any user data. What’s more, IPVanish owns and operates its entire network of servers which gives it a higher degree of control over user traffic. That’s different from the industry standard which is to either rent space in server farms or outsource operations to a third-party operator.
IPVanish secures all connections with 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch.
This provider is a known favorite with torrenters and Kodi users for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it enables them to download the Android APK directly to their device. Its interface is also remote control-friendly for Kodi devices that typically don’t have a keyboard and mouse. It works with several streaming media sites such as Netflix.
10 devices can connect simultaneously under one plan, higher than the industry standard. Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS, and there’s 24/7 live chat for customer support.
- Owns rather than rents its servers
- Strong encryption makes apps secure
- No-logs policy
- Can’t pay with cryptocurrency
ALL-ROUNDER:IPVanish will keep you secure on the internet and help you as you go about your online activities. All plans include a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Comparitech Exclusive - save up to 66% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Surfshark is the youngest VPN provider on this list, but it’s done a good job of differentiating itself. It hosts over 800 servers in 50 locations, including options in Belgium.
One of Surfshark’s most compelling features is that it currently offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. This means you can liberally share with friends and family, without any concerns. Plus, it ranks very high on both speed and unblocking capability — it’s able to sidestep regional restrictions on several sites including Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands so there are no mandatory data retention laws it has to comply with. All web traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an internet kill switch. It supports Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. 24/7 live support comes as standard.
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Kill switch on all platforms
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Relatively small server network
UNLIMITED DEVICES:Surfshark offers fast connections to all corners of the globe along with the flexibility to connect to as many devices as you would like. 24/7 support and user-friendly apps mean you’ll be online in a few minutes. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our Surfshark review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
PrivateVPN is based in Sweden which is part of the “Fourteen Eyes” network, but that shouldn’t concern you. This provider doesn’t log any data or other personally identifiable information so you’re covered from a privacy perspective.
The only small downside is that PrivateVPN’s server network is relatively smaller compared to the other providers on this list. However, it still covers about 150 servers in 60 locations including one in Belgium. In our extensive user testing, PrivateVPN was able to deliver consistent, fast speeds as well as an unerring ability to unblock streaming services. These include Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
256-bit encryption is used to secure web traffic. Additional measures include perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. A paid account allows for six devices to connect simultaneously.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Small number of servers to choose from
- Live chat is not around the clock
FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN’s servers are optimized for speed and privacy. This VPN is set up for beginner users and features like remote assistance can help you troubleshoot all problems. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of PrivateVPN.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Should I use a free VPN for Belgium?
Free VPN services are heavily advertised across the internet and they might appear to be an attractive option given the lack of any upfront payment. However, free services don’t prioritize user privacy and speed; you probably won’t be offered top-notch encryption or features like 24/7 live chat. This means things, like streaming Netflix or safely accessing public wifi, aren’t a straightforward affair.
Free VPNs have to make money to pay for business overheads such as office space, staff salaries, and server maintenance. Hence, they might overwhelm you with pesky actions like advertisements, pop-ups, and other frequent interruptions to get you to upgrade to a paid plan. You should be prepared for an extremely limited choice of servers (with no guarantee of a Belgian location), limited bandwidth, and data caps.
Some free VPN services have knowingly inserted malware in user devices. Others have taken it one step further and leveraged idle user bandwidth to build botnet armies. This goes against the basic principles of VPN use such as data protection, privacy, and security.
To sum it up, if you want your web activity to remain private and secure to stream geo-restricted media services, access public wifi, or log on to filtered sites, then free VPNs are a poor fit. A paid VPN gives you peace of mind for just a few dollars every month.
How are Belgium’s internet freedoms?
As a pluralistic Western democracy, Belgium scores high on press, media, and internet freedoms. Its constitution guarantees freedom of expression, right of access to information, and protection of journalists. However, one area where Belgium ranks poorly is torrenting.
In a case initiated by the Belgian Anti-Piracy Foundation, a local court in Antwerp ordered ISPs in the country to block access to popular torrenting site The Pirate Bay. That’s despite a ruling by the European Court of Justice which determined any attempts to filter traffic by ISPs violate user privacy and their freedom to receive and impart information.
If you plan on downloading torrents in Belgium it’s best to protect yourself by connecting to a VPN first. It’ll prevent your ISP from throttling or blocking your connection.
DISCLAIMER: Comparitech does not encourage using a VPN to stream or download content illegally. Please consult local laws beforehand if you’re not sure of the ramifications and refer to a local lawyer for expert advice.
How to use a VPN in Belgium
Whether you’re currently resident in Belgium, visiting the country, or planning to relocate there in the near future, the use of a VPN will greatly enhance your overall internet experience.
Here’s how to set up a VPN in Belgium:
- The first thing you should decide on is a provider that works to your requirements. We recommend ExpressVPN but our other recommendations are excellent alternatives.
- Then go ahead and register with your credit card. Some providers accept PayPal, Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies too.
- After confirmation of payment, you will receive an introductory email from the VPN provider of your choice. Proceed to download the relevant apps for your device from official app stores; avoid third-party sites.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies and restart your device once the installation is complete.
- Log in to the service. Connect to a server in Belgium for a Belgian IP address or one outside the country for a different one.
- Congratulations! Now your internet connection is encrypted and private and you will be able to access all the content you want.
Accessing Netflix libraries in Belgium
If you log on to Netflix with a Belgian IP address, you’ll be offered the local library of content. This is regardless of whether the account was registered in another country. If you’d like to view a different library, such as the one in the US, you’ll have to connect to a VPN server first.
If you select a server in the US, you’ll be granted a local IP address and appear as if you’re actually in the country. Note that some providers have servers specifically for Netflix so do check with customer support if you run into issues.
Using banking and financial services when abroad
Banking and financial services companies are very careful about incoming traffic due to the frequency of fraud and sensitivity of data. Hence, if you try to access your online Belgian bank account from a non-Belgian IP address, you could run the risk of raising compliance red flags. Security audits mean your account could be tagged as one that’s fallen victim to a fraud attempt.
To overcome this problem, you can connect to a VPN and port your location back into Belgium. This will help you avoid security-related concerns and prevent you from being locked out of your account while on a work or leisure trip.
- 1 Best VPNs for Belgium
- 2 1. ExpressVPN
- 3 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 4 2. NordVPN
- 5 Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 6 3. CyberGhost
- 7 Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year plan
- 8 4. IPVanish
- 9 Comparitech Exclusive - save up to 66% on the 2 year plan
- 10 5. Surfshark
- 11 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 12 6. PrivateVPN
- 13 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 14 Should I use a free VPN for Belgium?
- 15 How are Belgium’s internet freedoms?
- 16 How to use a VPN in Belgium