Belgian residents or those visiting the country can make use of a stable VPN connection to access geographically restricted content and to protect themselves online. Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) set up an encrypted tunnel and redirect all internet traffic to and from your device via an intermediary server in a location that you choose. This hides your real IP address from anyone who might be snooping but can also spoof your location.
So if you connect to a server in Belgium from outside the country, your actual IP address is replaced with a Belgian IP address. All the websites and apps you connect to will assume you’re in your chosen location and open up local content. Using a VPN for Belgium while abroad will help you access local television channels like Sport10, Focus TV, Comedy Central, VRT, and Euronews. Plus, it will assist with accessing online banking services from AXA Bank, Argenta, Keytrade Bank, and more.
We’ll discuss the best VPNs for the job in greater detail below, but in case you don’t have time, here’s a quick summary:
Best VPN services for Belgium:
- NordVPN: Our top choice as a VPN for Belgium.Vast server network that covers all parts of the world. Good unblocking capability and friendly customer support. Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Surfshark: Best budget alternative for Belgium. Up-and-coming service that allows an unlimited number of devices. Strong unblocking ability.
- ExpressVPN: High-performance, reliable service that uses stringent encryption parameters without compromising on speed.
- CyberGhost: Very fast speeds, easy-to-use apps ideal for first-time users wanting a VPN for Belgium. Proven ability to bypass filters on many geo-restricted streaming sites.
- IPVanish: Owns all servers, giving it full marks on privacy and security. Decent server network and speeds. Unlimited connections.
- PrivateVPN: Keeps your connection private, as the name suggests. Smaller server network but delivers very fast speeds and unblocks a plethora of streaming sites in Belgium.
- AtlasVPN: A fast and reliable VPN with unlimited device connections. Servers in Belgium and 40+ other countries.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR BELGIUM RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up on this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Belgium without limits or restrictions for a month—great if you want to gain privacy and freedom online.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you, and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for Belgium – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Belgium.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Belgium||1||2||3||4||5||6||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||7000+||2,200+||200+||Avg Speed (Europe)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||41 Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE up to 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months free
SAVE 74% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Best VPNs for Belgium
It is easy to find VPNs on the internet, but it would be a mistake to place them all in one category. Many are inferior and lack basic features, which is why you must pick carefully. For this reason, we only recommend VPNs that meet the following criteria:
- Offers lots of server options, including a wide variety in most major countries. Bonus points for options in Belgium
- Able to unblock many geo-restricted streaming services
- Fast speeds with little to no downtime
- Top-notch encryption and security parameters so your digital footprint is never revealed
- Allows multiple simultaneous connections
- Provides friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt customer support
This is just an overview, but we go into more detail about how we test and rank the VPNs that we recommend below. For now, let’s take a closer look at the ones that made the list.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Belgium:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice VPN for Belgium. This hardy provider operates a network of over 5,400+ servers, with around 70 housed in Belgium. NordVPN can help you access many streaming sites, such as Belgian TV channels, US Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN, Sky, and more, from anywhere in the world. The desktop version also offers detailed guides on how to access a specific service, so you can rest easy.
Power users love NordVPN for its customizability and the option to select servers for specific tasks such as streaming, double VPN, and Tor over VPN. You can also take a look at current server loads if you want one which has relatively fewer connections.
It’s headquartered in Panama, which means there aren’t any mandatory data retention laws to comply with. All accounts are secured by 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol. Additional security measures include an internet kill switch and DNS leak protection.
You can use NordVPN on Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS. There are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox, too. A standard plan allows for six devices to connect at the same time and customer support is available 24/7.
- Wide global network of fast, reliable servers
- Military-grade 256-bit encryption for great privacy
- Optimized servers for specific tasks
- Works with Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Customer service is available via 24/7 live chat
- Zero logs policy
- Occasional slow server
BEST VPN FOR BELGIUM:NordVPN is our #1 choice it delivers a fantastic service with strong security and privacy protocols. It works with Netflix and most other streaming providers. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a great budget-friendly VPN that doesn’t compromise on service. It hosts over 3,200 servers in around 100 countries, including options in Belgium. It ranks very high on both speed and unblocking capability. Surfshark is able to sidestep regional restrictions on several sites, including Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
One of Surfshark’s most compelling features is that it offers an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. This means you can share with friends or protect your whole family with one account. Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, so there are no mandatory data retention laws it has to comply with. All web traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an internet kill switch.
It supports Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. 24/7 live support comes as standard.
- Servers in around 100 countries
- Secure, encrypted connection
- Kill switch on all platforms
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Some servers are slower than others
GREAT VALUE:Surfshark offers unlimited connections, and a vast server network in all corners of the globe. 24/7 support and user-friendly apps mean you’ll be online in a few minutes. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a reliable choice that delivers robust speeds, 24/7 customer support, and military-grade encryption. It has over 3,000 servers to choose from in 94 countries, including options in Belgium.
ExpressVPN’s apps are very easy to use and help you get online in a matter of minutes. You can either select a server of your choice or go for a ‘smart location’ setting which selects one that’s best suited for you. What’s more, we’ve tested this provider on several geo-restricted streaming sites such as US Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer, and it easily bypasses restrictions on each one.
ExpressVPN uses best-in-class security standards such as 256-bit AES encryption, also called ‘military-grade.’ Additional features to secure your connection include an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy. IP addresses are not recorded, nor is any other data that could potentially identify individual users.
Apps for Android and iOS can be downloaded from the relevant app stores, and there are desktop versions for Windows, Linux, and macOS. A single account allows for up to five simultaneous connections. Customer support is available 24/7 via live chat.
- Extremely fast download/streaming speeds
- One of the best all-around VPNs
- Solid privacy and security
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Power users may find the advanced options limited
- More expensive than other providers on this list
FAST AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is a solid choice for Belgium. It’s privacy-conscious and offers quick speeds and reliable troubleshooting. All plans come with a 30-day no-questions money-back guarantee, making it a risk-free option.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has over 9,000 servers in 90+ countries around the world, including Belgium. This provider is known for its quick speeds while streaming, so you can enjoy watching without any noticeable lag or buffering. It works with many geo-restricted services, including Netflix and BBC iPlayer. What’s more, it’s designed for VPN newcomers and is very easy to set up and get started with.
All user traffic is guarded by 256-bit encryption in conjunction with 2,048-bit DHE-RSA keys. But that’s not all; the security package includes perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, an ad blocker, and anti-malware defense.
CyberGhost has a policy of not storing any user data, including IP addresses. You can access the service on Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS, as well as via browser extensions on Chrome and Firefox. A single subscription allows for seven devices to connect at the same time, and plans come with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Huge network of 9,000+ servers
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Streams HD video seamlessly
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Easy-to-use, beginner-friendly apps
- Torrenting and P2P won’t work on all servers
- More suited to beginners than power users
FAST AND SECURE:CyberGhost gives you speed, privacy, and the option to access lots of streaming sites and watch without lag or buffering. There’s a 45-day money-back guarantee on all packages.
Read our full user review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish does well from a privacy perspective without compromising on speed or other facets of the VPN experience. At the time of writing, it offers more than 2,000 servers spread across 75+ locations, Belgium included. This provider works with several streaming services, such as Netflix, and is a known favorite with torrenters and Kodi users. It enables them to download the Android APK directly to their device, plus its interface is remote control-friendly for Kodi devices that typically don’t have a keyboard and mouse.
This company is another ‘no-logs’ provider because it declines to track and store any user data. What’s more, IPVanish owns and operates its entire network of servers which gives it a higher degree of control over user traffic. That’s different from the industry standard, which is to either rent space in server farms or outsource operations to a third-party operator.
IPVanish secures all connections with 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch. An unlimited number of devices can connect simultaneously under one plan. Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS, and there’s 24/7 live chat for customer support.
- Owns rather than rents its servers
- Strong encryption makes apps secure
- No-logs policy
- Allows unlimited connections
- No option to pay with cryptocurrency
- Based in the US, a Five Eyes member
STRONG ALL-ROUNDER:IPVanish will keep you secure on the internet and help you as you go about your online activities. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections, and all plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is based in Sweden. It doesn’t log any data or other personally identifiable information. PrivateVPN’s server network is smaller than the other providers on this list. However, it still covers more than 250 servers in 66 locations, including Belgium. Plus, in our extensive user testing, PrivateVPN was able to deliver consistent, fast speeds as well as access to streaming services. These include Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
256-bit encryption is used to secure web traffic. Additional measures include perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. A paid account allows for ten devices to connect simultaneously.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Works reliably with popular streaming sites
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Fewer servers in each country
- Live chat is not around the clock
FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN’s servers are optimized for speed and privacy. This VPN is set up for beginner users, and features like remote assistance can help you troubleshoot all problems. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a versatile VPN with superfast servers in Belgium and 40 other locations. It comes with an unlimited connection limit and has apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. Plus, this VPN can access BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime Video, and can help you change your Netflix region, so you can watch your home library while traveling.
This VPN uses the WireGuard protocol, letting you enjoy streaming service in 4K, and also allows for uninterrupted gaming sessions. It uses 256-AES encryption and includes split tunneling, a kill switch, malware blocking, and multi-hop servers for an all-around privacy focus.
AtlasVPN doesn’t collect logs and provides support day and night. Try the VPN today risk-free for 30 days.
- WireGuard ensures uninterrupted HD streaming
- No connection limit
- Impressive security and privacy offering
- No router support
- Getting a refund can be difficult
WIREGUARD SUPPORT:AtlasVPN reliably accesses streaming platforms in Belgium and has 40 other locations globally. It includes unlimited devices and split tunneling as standard. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
Best VPNs for Belgium: testing methodology
There are over 100 consumer-facing VPNs on the market, and they nearly all claim to be the best, the most secure, or the fastest. The unfortunate reality is that most of those VPNs would be a waste of your time and money.
At Comparitech, we use a scientific VPN testing methodology to ensure we only recommend VPNs for Belgium that have everything you need. Below we have included some of the features we look for when testing VPNs:
- Secure apps. Many VPNs have outdated apps and lack the privacy features you need to stay secure in Belgium. We only recommend VPNs with reliable apps that are fully featured with a kill switch and other useful features such as split tunneling and obfuscation.
- Fast servers. If a VPN has a slow network, it isn’t suitable for streaming, gaming, torrenting, and making video calls. We test VPN speeds to ensure that the VPN will let you do everything you want online.
- Leak protection. A leaky VPN fails to provide the privacy it advertises. We look for VPNs that have strong encryption and test for IP and DNS leaks to ensure everything you do online will remain secure against eavesdropping ISPs, local networks, and government agencies.
- Protection against hackers. A reliable VPN will provide privacy against data snoops and will also be secure against hackers. We recommend VPNs that have security protocols and encryption to ensure you’d data is safe against hackers when you connect to public wi-fi hotspots.
- Servers around the world. We test VPN speeds and check that the VPN has servers in Belgium and elsewhere that work to access Netflix, Belgian TV services, internet banking, and other important services.
- A no-logs policy. A reliable VPN provider never stores any records about what you do online while connected. This ensures your privacy both now and in the future and means that the VPN will not be able to tell anybody what you did while connected.
If you want to know more about how we test the VPNs we recommend you can check out our dedicated VPN testing methodology article.
How to use a VPN in Belgium
Whether you’re currently resident in Belgium, visiting the country, or planning to relocate there in the near future, the use of a VPN will greatly enhance your overall internet experience. And using one is not as tricky as you might think.
Here’s how to set up a VPN in Belgium:
- The first thing you should decide on is a provider that works to your requirements. We recommend NordVPN, but our other recommendations are excellent alternatives.
- Then go ahead and register with your credit card. Some providers accept PayPal, Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies too.
- After confirmation of payment, you will receive an introductory email from the VPN provider of your choice. Proceed to download the relevant apps for your device from official app stores; avoid third-party sites.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies and restart your device once the installation is complete.
- Log in to the service. Connect to a server in Belgium for a Belgian IP address or in a different country of your choice.
- Congratulations! Now your internet connection is encrypted and private, and you will be able to access all the content you want.
- If you’re still struggling, contact your VPN’s customer support team for more assistance.
Should I use a free VPN for Belgium?
Free VPN services are heavily advertised across the internet, and they might appear to be an attractive option, given the lack of any upfront payment. However, free services don’t prioritize user privacy and speed; you probably won’t be offered top-notch encryption or features like 24/7 live chat. This means things like streaming Netflix or safely connecting to public wifi aren’t a straightforward affair.
Free VPNs aren’t truly free. They have to make money to pay for business overheads such as office space, staff salaries, and server maintenance. Hence, they might overwhelm you with pesky actions like advertisements, pop-ups, and other frequent interruptions to get you to upgrade to a paid plan. You should be prepared for an extremely limited choice of servers (with no guarantee of a Belgian location), limited bandwidth, and data caps.
Plus, some free VPN services store user data, insert malware in user devices and leverage idle user bandwidth to build botnet armies. This goes against the basic principles of VPN use, such as data protection, privacy, and security.
To sum it up, if you want your web activity to remain private and secure to stream geo-restricted media services, access public wifi, or log on to filtered sites, then free VPNs are a poor fit. In comparison, a paid VPN gives you peace of mind for just a few dollars every month. Why not opt for a quality VPN with a free trial for a risk-free way to try them out?
Best VPNs for Belgium: FAQs
How are Belgium’s internet freedoms?
As a pluralistic Western democracy, Belgium scores high on press, media, and internet freedoms. Its constitution guarantees freedom of expression, the right to access information, and the protection of journalists. However, one area where Belgium ranks poorly is torrenting.
In a case initiated by the Belgian Anti-Piracy Foundation, a local court in Antwerp ordered ISPs in the country to block access to the popular torrenting site The Pirate Bay. That’s despite a ruling by the European Court of Justice, which determined any attempts to filter traffic by ISPs violate user privacy and their freedom to receive and impart information.
So, if you plan on downloading torrents in Belgium, it’s best to protect yourself by connecting to a VPN first. It’ll prevent your ISP from throttling or blocking your connection.
DISCLAIMER: Comparitech does not encourage using a VPN to stream or download content illegally. Please consult local laws beforehand if you’re not sure of the ramifications and refer to a local lawyer for expert advice.
Can I watch Netflix in Belgium?
Yes. If you log on to Netflix in Belgium, you’ll be offered the local library of content. This is regardless of whether the account was registered in another country. So, if you’d like to view a different library, such as your US Netflix library, you’ll need to connect to a VPN server first.
If you select a server in the US, you’ll be granted a US IP address and appear as if you’re actually in the country. Similarly, if you want to access your Belgian Netflix library while traveling abroad, you’ll need to connect to a Belgian server via a VPN.
Note that some providers have servers specifically for Netflix, so do check with customer support if you run into issues.
Can I use a VPN to access my bank account abroad?
Banking and financial services companies are very careful about incoming traffic due to the frequency of fraud and sensitivity of data. Hence, if you try to access your online Belgian bank account from a non-Belgian IP address, you could run the risk of raising compliance red flags. Security audits mean your account could be tagged as one that’s fallen victim to a fraud attempt.
To overcome this problem, you can connect to a VPN and port your location back into Belgium. This will help you avoid security-related concerns and prevent you from being locked out of your account while on a work or leisure trip.