Craigslist works pretty well for buyers, but as a seller or someone who’s hiring, there are all kinds of issues that can crop up. For instance, Craigslist issues an immediate, unchallengeable ban to anyone who posts too frequently, posts the same ad in multiple cities or attempts to sell items on the site’s prohibited list. While public wifi would help you beat a ban on your IP address, these networks are often quite slow and not exactly known for their security. That’s where a VPN comes in.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) routes your data through a server somewhere else in the world, which effectively issues you a new IP address and helps you beat wrongful Craigslist bans. What’s more, VPNs encrypt your internet traffic so that you can bypass the web-blocking tools used by public hotspots, workplace wifi, and oppressive governments. In other words, you’ll be able to access whatever you want while hiding your activities from anyone who might be watching.
You’ll find a quick guide to the best Craigslist VPNs below. If any providers stand out to you, don’t worry: we’ll cover each in more detail a little later.
The best VPNs for Craigslist:
- NordVPN: Our top VPN for Craigslist. Thousands of high-speed servers and an impressive security toolkit. Also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
- Surfshark: The best low-cost VPN for Craigslist. Doesn’t compromise on privacy, performance, or unblocking potential. Lets users connect as many devices as they like.
- ExpressVPN: A well-respected VPN that boasts fast servers in 94 countries. Great set of security and privacy tools built in. Works with most geo-blocked services.
- CyberGhost: Has 8,000+ speedy servers around the world, making it easy to access Craigslist from anywhere. Also a great choice for streaming and torrenting.
- IPVanish: This zero-logs VPN has no connection limit and lets you choose from over 2,000 servers. Provides 24/7 support and some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen.
- PrivateVPN: A privacy-first VPN that allows up to 10 connections at a time. Particularly good for accessing geo-blocked content. Even works in China.
- Atlas VPN: A versatile service with first-class speed and unblocking ability. Includes a variety of security features and doesn’t limit the number of devices you can connect.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Craigslist with no restrictions for a month—great if you’re looking to post securely or access the site from any network.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPN for Craigslist
It pays to shop around when looking for a VPN. After all, every provider is different. To make sure we only recommend the best possible VPNs for the task at hand, we looked for those that met all of the criteria below:
- Has plenty of servers to choose from
- Provides fast enough speeds for day-to-day tasks like streaming and video-calling
- Secures your traffic with uncrackable encryption
- Doesn’t log any personally identifiable data
- Supports all of the most common operating systems and devices
This is just an overview, but you can read more about how we test and rank our VPNs further on in this article. For now, let’s look a little closer at these VPNs.
Here are the best VPNs for Craigslist:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is the best all-around VPN for Craigslist. With more than 5,400 servers in around 60 countries, you shouldn’t have any issues beating an IP ban. Further, this VPN excels at accessing region-locked services, so you’ll still be able to stream Hulu, Disney+, and more while connected. NordVPN provides consistently high speeds and lets users secure up to six devices simultaneously.
Nord’s kill switch halts all traffic the moment your connection drops. There’s also 256-bit encryption, protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks, a proven no-logs policy, and special obfuscated servers for even greater privacy. NordVPN recently introduced a Threat Protection feature that blocks ads, trackers, and malware, while steering you away from potentially dangerous sites. Finally, this VPN has a free live chat service so you can get help at any time, day or night.
NordVPN apps are available for MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android. You can manually install it on a wide range of router firmware too.
- Expansive server network
- A near-permanent fixture in our fastest VPN list
- Getting help is quick and easy
- Packed with high-end security features
- Has apps for most devices and OS
- Works with many popular streaming services
- No way to favorite servers for faster access
BEST VPN FOR CRAIGSLIST:NordVPN is our first choice for Craigslist users. Prioritizes your security without compromising on speed, unblocking ability, or ease of use. Best of all, this service includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Would you like to learn more? If so, check out our complete NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is the best low-cost VPN for Craigslist. Not only does it offer access to more than 3,200 servers in 95+ countries, it also lets users protect an unlimited number of devices. This provider is one of the best at reliably accessing major services like Netflix, Prime Video, and HBO Max, and provides fast enough speeds for uninterrupted live streaming.
Despite its low price tag, Surfshark has plenty to offer. Take its security features, for instance: there’s 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, plus a stealth mode that lets you browse safely from almost anywhere in the world. Surfshark follows a no-logging policy and just introduced a feature that swaps your IP address at regular intervals, making you even harder to track. Support staff are on-hand 24/7 over live chat.
Surfshark has its own iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux apps. Alternatively, you can follow manual setup instructions to get it running on your home router.
- Quick and easy to use
- No connection limit
- Can securely access just about every site we’ve tested
- Pushing the boundaries of VPN security
- Keeps no logs
- Some features require an additional monthly payment to use
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our favorite budget provider. Its large network and IP rotation feature make regaining access to Craigslist very simple. Strong on security and privacy too. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries. That’s an impressive achievement in its own right, but these were recently upgraded to provide up to ten times their previous speeds. Whether you’re looking to access Craigslist on a network with a particularly strict blocklist or just trying to stream your favorite shows, ExpressVPN is a solid choice.
Its apps keep you safe by using 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. Users also have the option of blocking local devices like printers from sending data to their devices. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any data that could identify you and is regularly audited by independent experts to ensure its privacy claims are accurate. If you run into trouble, just drop the staff a message over 24/7 live chat to get help in a matter of seconds.
ExpressVPN offers apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. It also has its own router firmware, which makes it as easy as possible to secure an entire network.
- Lots of servers to choose from
- Faster than ever
- Puts your security and privacy first
- Apps for many devices
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- On the higher end of the pricing spectrum
- Streaming servers are not labeled
90+ COUNTRIES:ExpressVPN supports a huge range of locations and provides fast, reliable speeds. Offers a solid set of security tools and impressive unblocking ability, plus a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our comprehensive ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a newcomer-friendly VPN that manages to provide top-tier performance. It has over 8,000 servers in 90+ countries, and some of these are specifically designed for torrenting, maximizing your privacy, or accessing a specific streaming service. Moreover, this VPN is one of the fastest we’ve seen, averaging over 500 Mbps in our most recent tests. There are no bandwidth limits, and up to seven devices can be secured simultaneously.
Another cool thing about this VPN is that it just works. By default, it uses a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and leak protection to prevent your data from being read by snoopers. CyberGhost can also block ads, trackers, and malware automatically or connect over a random port to potentially beat VPN-detection systems. Most importantly, this VPN refuses to log any personally identifying data. Live chat-based customer support is available at all times.
CyberGhost supports MacOS, iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux devices. Manual setup is required for use with routers, though instructions are available in CyberGhost’s knowledge base.
- More servers than any other VPN in this list
- Ideal for streaming and torrenting
- Continuously improving its security protocols
- Novice-friendly apps
- May not be customizable enough for advanced users
- Doesn’t work in China
GREAT FIRST VPN:CyberGhost is perfect for anyone new to VPNs. Its clearly-labeled servers make finding the right one as easy as possible, plus it refuses to compromise on security. Best of all, this no-logs VPN works with Craigslist and offers a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Why not read our full CyberGhost review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has gone from strength to strength recently. Adding WireGuard support and optimizing its network saw this VPN’s speeds skyrocket, and it now sits near the top of our fastest VPN list. Further, unlike most other providers, IPVanish doesn’t have a connection limit. This means that you’re free to secure an entire household of devices at once. There are roughly 2,000 servers to choose from, and users should have no problems accessing most major streaming services.
This VPN has always said it keeps no logs but just recently had a team of independent experts verify that claim. That’s a huge win for customers since too many providers ask you to blindly accept their privacy claims. IPVanish’s apps keep you safe with 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, IPv6 and DNS leak protection, and a traffic scrambling feature (though this only works on OpenVPN connections at the moment). Help is on-hand 24/7 over email and live chat.
IPVanish apps are available for Android, Windows, iOS, and MacOS devices. To use this VPN on Linux systems or wireless routers, you’ll have to follow manual setup instructions.
- Veteran zero-logs provider
- Drastically improved speeds
- Perfect for secure streaming, browsing, and gaming
- Many advanced security features
- No anonymous payment options
- Struggles in some countries like China
TRUE NO-LOGS POLICY:IPVanish takes your privacy seriously. With no logs, a solid security toolkit, and the ability to protect every device you own, it has real everyday usage potential. Better still, its annual plan comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more details, check out our in-depth IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has around 200 servers globally, which might not sound like a lot. However, these are owned and hosted by the company itself, which means no other organization ever has access to user data. Not only that, but they’re more than fast enough for live streaming, torrenting, and general browsing. This service also has a high connection limit, allowing you to secure up to 10 devices at once.
There are plenty of powerful security features included in PrivateVPN’s apps. You can switch between 128-bit and 256-bit encryption (one is faster, the other more secure), decide which apps are affected by the kill switch, and turn on a stealth mode that can bypass just about any online censorship. PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs and protects against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Live chat is available almost 24 hours per day, but not quite – still, you’re never more than a few hours away from getting help.
PrivateVPN has apps for iOS, MacOS, Android, and Windows. Further, it can be manually configured to work with Linux systems and a wide range of router firmware.
- Fast enough for almost any task
- Extremely versatile – even works in China
- One of the best for privacy
- Relatively small network
- Live chat is not quite 24/7
POST SAFELY ANYWHERE:PrivateVPN is a quick, reliable service that keeps no logs and excels at beating online restrictions. Whether you’re looking to securely access Craigslist abroad or just beat a wrongful ban, it’s a great choice. This VPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read the complete PrivateVPN review to learn more.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is a relative newcomer, but it’s already competing with more established providers on speed, streaming ability, and security. There are around 750 servers in 40+ locations, and users are free to protect all of their devices at the same time. Better still, Atlas VPN has no issues accessing services like Disney Plus, Sling TV, and HBO Max, let alone Craigslist.
Naturally, this provider offers a kill switch, uncrackable encryption, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. There’s even a no-logs policy that ensures it can’t reveal what you get up to online. Atlas VPN also offers SafeSwap servers that change your IP address periodically, drastically increasing the difficulty of tracking your activities across the web. There’s no need to panic if you have problems either since support can be reached 24/7 over live chat.
Atlas VPN offers apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Steady, reliable speeds
- Great unblocking ability
- Impressive security and privacy offering
- Doesn’t work on Linux or routers
- Canceling could be much easier
NO FUSS SECURITY:Atlas VPN is fast, easy to use, and security-conscious. This makes it a perfect choice for posting on Craigslist, using online banking, or just browsing the web. What’s more, this beginner-friendly service includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our extensive Atlas VPN review.
How to unblock Craigslist anywhere using a VPN
It’s surprisingly simple to beat a Craigslist ban or use the site on networks that normally block it. All you need is a VPN.
Here’s how to unblock Craigslist anywhere using a VPN:
- Start by signing up for one of the VPNs above (we recommend NordVPN)
- Download the VPN app onto your device, then log in
- Select a server that’s reasonably close to your actual location for the best performance
- Clear your browser’s cookies to log yourself out and ensure Craigslist forgets about any accounts you’ve previously used
- Wait until the app connects you, then visit Craigslist. You should now be able to browse and post as normal since you have a new IP address. If you’re still struggling, contact your VPN’s customer support for help.
Methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for Craigslist
There are several things to consider when choosing a VPN. After all, while your primary goal might be to access Craigslist, there are probably other things you’d like to do as well. To make sure we only recommend the best VPNs for your needs, we looked for services that excelled in all of the following areas:
- Server choice: You can have the most secure VPN in the world, but if all of its IP addresses are banned from Craigslist, it won’t help you. We prioritized providers with lots of servers in lots of locations to guarantee there’s always at least one nearby.
- Unblocking ability: Plenty of websites try to block VPN users outright. We tested our top contenders against platforms like Sling TV, ESPN+, and Hulu and only recommended those that worked with a good number of popular services.
- Speed: Slow speeds are a nuisance, even for low-intensity tasks like browsing Craigslist. We regularly test to see which are the fastest VPNs on the market, and only the best earned a place on our list.
- Security and privacy: Given Craigslist reserves the right to fine users for every infraction imaginable, privacy is of utmost importance. Our top VPNs all include no-logs policies, kill switches, leak protection, and uncrackable encryption. Some even offer stealth modes, tracker-blocking, and the enhanced-privacy servers.
- User-friendliness: We look for VPNs that are easy enough for complete beginners to use. For this reason, we prefer providers with multi-platform support, no connection limits, and 24/7 customer service. Other user-friendly features like clearly labeled settings menus and task-specific servers are greatly appreciated too.
This is just a brief overview of our process. If you’d like to learn more, we have a whole post breaking down how we test VPNs at Comparitech.
Using Craigslist with a VPN: FAQs
Are VPNs against Craigslist’s terms of service?
Of course, since you don’t need an account to post under most categories (and there’s no way to prove your account details are genuine in any case), it’s unclear how Craigslist would ever manage this.
Can I post to another city’s Craigslist board?
You can absolutely post to multiple different cities on Craigslist. Just go to the bar on the right-hand side of the screen and choose a new location – you can even select a city on another continent if you’d like. It’s worth mentioning that posting the same ad in several locations is likely to trip Craigslists’ anti-spam filters, though, so try not to overdo it.
Why was my Craigslist account banned?
There are lots of reasons why Craigslist might have banned you. Here are just a few:
- You attempted to sell or solicit something on the site’s prohibited list
- Your post contained offensive or obscene language
- Other users flagged your post
- You posted too often in a short space of time
- Craigslist noticed you putting up the same post on numerous regional boards
- Your post was spammy, misleading, or intended to direct users to a second website
- You attempted to scrape the Craigslist website using automated tools