Romanian citizens, those visiting the country for pleasure or business, or anyone planning to relocate there can all benefit from a stable Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection. The software keeps internet activity private, lets you safely torrent files, unlocks geo-restricted streaming media sites, and helps in accessing public wifi without security concerns.
What’s more, Romanian citizens traveling abroad can use a VPN to access their favorite television channels from back home as well as log in to online banking services. The VPN providers we recommend in this article offer a wide variety of server locations to choose from. This means it’s possible to get an IP address from Romania even if you’re currently in the US, the UK, Australia, Germany, China, or anywhere else in the world.
We get into plenty of detail on the different providers below, but if you only have time for a quick glance, here is a quick summary of the best VPNs for Romania:
- NordVPN: The #1 choice for Romania. Strong privacy features. No logs policy. Advanced apps. Works with Netflix US. Romanian servers available. Fast speeds. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget option for Romania. A fast and secure VPN packed with useful features. Apps for all platforms. Free Smart DNS service. Built-in adblocking and malware protection. Fast WireGuard protocol.
- ExpressVPN: Superfast network of servers that can get around most geo-blocked content. Can stream shows in HD, secure and private. Has servers in Romania.
- CyberGhost: Beginner-friendly option with easy-to-use apps for all the family. 9,000+ servers in 90+ countries, including Romania. Great speeds. Works with Netflix.
- Private Internet Access: Connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. Lots of customization available. Strong AES encryption. Kill-switch.
- PrivateVPN: Great at accessing popular streaming content. Ideal for torrenting. Reliable apps for all devices. Works with around 20 Netflix regions.
- AtlasVPN: A fast VPN that is great for streaming. Works with the most popular international streaming platforms.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up on this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Romania with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you, and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for Romania – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Romania.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||Private Internet Access||PrivateVPN|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||PrivateInternetAccess.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Romania||1||2||3||4||5||6||Servers in Romania||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||117 Mbps||39 Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 3 months free
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Best VPNs for Romania
We’ve based our list of the best VPNs for Romania on the following standards
- Incorporates a wide network of VPN servers across the world, including options in Romania (for those wanting a Romanian IP address)
- Unblocks geo-restricted streaming services
- Offers a fast and reliable product with minimal downtime
- Uses stringent encryption parameters, so your location remains hidden
- Allows for multiple simultaneous connections
- Provides top-notch customer support
Later in this guide, we will provide additional information about how we test and recommend VPNs. For now, you can use the reviews below to pick between the best VPNs for Romania.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Romania.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice VPN for Romania. It runs a network of more than 5,400 servers spanning 60+ countries, with Romania hosting 10. This provider doesn’t store any user activity logs and has cultivated a strong, privacy-focused reputation over the years. NordVPN is able to securely access sites such as US Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN, Sky, Sling TV, and more.
Its customizability is one of its strong points. Users can select a server that will optimize particular tasks such as streaming HD video, double VPN, Tor over VPN, and more. Privacy enthusiasts will be pleased with the use of robust security protocols. NordVPN uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol to secure all web traffic as well as an internet kill switch and DNS leak protection.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS. A basic plan allows for six devices to connect concurrently.
- Vast network of over 5,400 servers that can get around most geo-blocked content restrictions
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Strong security and strict no-logs policy
- Apps for all major operating systems
- Can’t specify a city to connect to
BEST VPN FOR ROMANIA:NordVPN is our #1 choice. A great all-round VPN. Good for streaming, 24/7 customer support, and a wide range of servers. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a budget-friendly VPN provider based in the British Virgin Islands. It is a fast and secure VPN that is highly popular around the globe. It has apps for all platforms that are packed with useful features. Best of all, despite being cheap, it lets you use the VPN on an unlimited number of devices. This means you can easily share it with friends and family.
The availability of the OpenVPN protocol with AES 256 encryption means you can use the internet privately and safely, whether at home or on public wifi. In addition, it has a killswitch, obfuscation, DNS leak protection, and a trustworthy no-logs policy. It also includes ad blocking and malware filtering to keep you extra safe as you surf the web.
Surfshark VPN works to access around two dozen Netflix regions, and it is fast for streaming thanks to its WireGuard protocol. Servers are located in 100+ countries, and they work to access Romanian TV platforms from abroad and popular international services like BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and Hulu.
We love everything about Surfshark, including its 24/7 live chat and the fact that you can try it out risk-free by using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Servers in Romania and 60+ countries
- Very fast WireGuard connections
- Smart DNS to stream on more devices
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Superb value for money
- Occasional server with slow speeds
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark offers unlimited connections. Apps for all devices. Strong encryption. Includes free Smart DNS service. Zero logs policy and a kill switch. Works with Netflix US, iPlayer, Hulu, and Romanian services. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a favorite with privacy enthusiasts due to its use of military-grade encryption standards, fast speeds, and a truly global network. This provider offers more than 3,000 servers to choose from in 94 countries around the world, including options to connect to a server in Romania. It works with a variety of geo-restricted streaming media services, including American Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and more. Fast speeds are guaranteed, and customer support via live chat is available round the clock.
ExpressVPN uses world-class security standards, including 256-bit AES encryption, which is the ‘military-grade’ protocol we referred to earlier. Additional features include an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy.
This provider only stores non-identifying metadata, which is used to improve overall service levels. IP addresses are not recorded under any circumstances, and users can sign up using burner email addresses and anonymous payment methods. It offers clean, minimalist apps for Android and iOS and similar versions for Windows and macOS. A single subscription allows for five simultaneous connections.
- Operates over 3,000 servers in 94 countries
- Has no issues getting around regional internet restrictions
- Fast stable speeds
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- 24/7 chat support
- Slightly more expensive than some rivals
- Allows less simultaneous connections than others on this list
GREAT VPN:Offers fast stable speeds and top notch security. Works well with almost all streaming services, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Romanian channels, including TV1, TV2, PRO TV, and PRO CINEMA. Includes a 30-day no-quibbles money-back guarantee, so you’ll receive a full refund if unsatisfied.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is actually headquartered in Romania. It has one of the largest server networks on our list, with more than 9,000 servers worldwide and over 130 of them in Romania itself. This service is fast and secure and has a strong tilt towards streaming – CyberGhost’s app can help you pick a server to securely access specific services such as American Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
CyberGhost VPN has an internal policy of not logging any IP addresses or any other forms of user data. Additional security features include an ad blocker, anti-malware defense, and anti-tracking. Internet traffic is secured by way of 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. These are top-tier protocols.
You can access the service on Android, iOS, Windows, or macOS. At the moment, a single subscription allows for seven devices to connect at the same time.
- Vast global network of over 9,000 servers, including more than 130 in Romania
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Apps are easy to use and beginner-friendly
- Decent, reliable speeds
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Has trouble unblocking some streaming sites
- No option for local networking
FAST SPEEDS:CyberGhost VPN provides a fast connection. Another low-cost option that scored highly in our speed tests. Works with Netflix and some other streaming services. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full user review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access ranks highly on privacy, speed, and security features. It is one of the most customizable VPNs on the market, giving you the ability to strengthen or weaken the encryption depending on your activities. It also has a split tunneling feature which makes it great for those who want to torrent or do some things with and without the VPN simultaneously.
PIA offers servers across 80+ countries, totaling more than 10,000 servers in all, including some in Romania, to access local services privately or while on vacation. It even works to stream Romanian TV.
That said, this VPN is not our #1 option for streaming, and while it does work with Netflix US, it does struggle with other international services. The good news is that it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee. So you can test it with your favorite streaming platforms risk-free to be sure it does what you need.
The company is headquartered in the US, which may put the most privacy-conscious of users off. However, it has a no-logs policy, it has proven in court, and it will protect your data privacy whether at home or on public wi-fi. Apps are available for all platforms, and you can use them on up to 10 devices at once. It even has live chat support.
- impressive connection speeds for streaming
- Apps for all devices
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Kill switch and a Shadowsocks proxy
- Based in the USA
- Struggles with some streaming services
GREAT FOR PRIVACY:PIA is a good option for torrenting. Great speeds, no logs, and robust encryption. 10 simultaneous connections. Doesn’t work with some streaming services, so best to test it using its 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a relative newcomer, but its service doesn’t disappoint. In our extensive user review, referenced at the end, the provider displayed fast speeds and an impressive ability to unblock geo-restricted content.
PrivateVPN’s server network is small when compared to the other providers listed in this article, but does the job well. At the moment, there are 200 servers spread across 60+ locations, with Romania also included. This provider refrains from logging user data, includes support for torrenting, and offers unlimited bandwidth for HD video streams.
Some of the streaming services it manages to securely access are Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime Video. It’s also currently offering a 30-day money-back guarantee on all packages.
PrivateVPN doesn’t skimp on security or privacy, either. Users can opt for either 128- or 256-bit encryption (depending on which protocol is used), and the service provides perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS leak protection. A basic plan allows for six devices to connect simultaneously.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Operates a network of VPN servers spanning 63 countries
- Works with Netflix US, UK, and others
- Some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Fewer servers to choose from
GOOD FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is great for fast streaming. Recommended for Netflix users, PrivateVPN works with Romanian and US Netflix along with many other country versions. Our only complaint is the small selection of servers.
Read our review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a relatively new provider based in the USA, however, it has now been acquired by Nord, which means it technically falls under the Panama jurisdiction, technically keeping its data out of reach of US authorities. It also has a solid no-logs policy, which means it would have nothing to hand over even if it was approached with a warrant.
The VPN is ideal for streaming because it provides WireGuard connections that are lightning-fast, averaging 247 Mbps in our latest tests. It is also one of the few services that work to access popular channels such as Netflix US, iPlayer, Hulu, Prime Video, and HBO Max.
Admittedly, it only has servers in 40+ countries, which is a little light. However, those servers are fast, and they are well placed, and it operates servers in Romania. Apps are available for all platforms, and while they are a little light on extra features compared to our #1 recommendation, they do have malware filtering, adblocking, DNS leak protection, and a killswitch.
- Fast connection speeds
- Works with Netflix and other popular streaming services
- Servers in Romania and 40+ countries
- Based in the US
- Light on advanced features
GOOD FOR STREAMING:Fast servers in 31 countries. Easy to use. Great for streaming. Allows torrenting. No logs. Adblocking. Malware filtering. Works with Netflix. 30-day money-back guarantee. Allows unlimited connections.
Find out more in our AtlasVPN review.
VPN testing methodology
There are hundreds of VPNs on the market, and picking between them can be confusing. To help you out, we have devised a precise VPN testing methodology. We use this to check under the hood and ensure that each VPN is both fit for purpose and watertight in terms of security.
As part of our process, we test the VPN’s speeds, we check that it can access popular services like Netflix, and we check the VPN for leaks and for strong encryption. This allows us to confidently recommend VPNs for Romania – or for other purposes.
Below, we have included some of the things we looked for when testing the VPNs for use in Romania:
- Large server network. We check that the VPN has a wide choice of servers where you need them to access a lot of content. This includes servers in Romania.
- Fast speeds. We look for VPNs that have impressive connection speeds, fast Tier-1 server networks, and protocols like WireGuard to let you stream and torrent without lag or buffering.
- No logs. We recommend zero-logs VPNs that promise never to monitor what you do with the VPN and never to keep any records that could be used at a later date.
- Plenty of advanced features. We look for VPNs that are versatile and offer superb value for money with a wide choice of privacy and security features.
- Superb accessibility. We look for services that work to access sought-after services like Netflix and that have servers in Romania to let you access internet banking or Romanian TV platforms while abroad (or at work).
- Apps for all platforms. We look for services with apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and other devices such as routers and Firesticks. This lets you use the VPN how and when you want to!
- Reliable customer care. We always check that a VPN looks after its subscribers. Our recommendations have live chat or email support that is available around the clock.
How to use a VPN in Romania
Whether you’re living in Romania or simply in the country for business or vacation, the use of a VPN will greatly enhance your internet experience. And they’re simpler to use than you might think. Just follow this step-by-step guide to get started.
Here’s how to set up a VPN in Romania:
- The first thing you need to do is make a decision on a provider that appeals to you. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- After you’ve settled on a provider, go ahead and register for the service using your chosen form of payment.
- After the payment has been successfully authenticated, you will usually receive a confirmation email directly from the VPN provider. Proceed to download the relevant app for your device.
- Restart your device once the installation is complete.
- Use the login information sent to you by the provider. Connect to a server in Romania (to gain a Romanian IP address) or from outside the country (for a non-Romanian IP address).
- Now your internet connection is encrypted and private, and you will be able to access all the content you want.
- If you’re struggling to connect, try clearing your browser’s cookies and trying again.
Using a free VPN in Romania
You might come across some advertisements for free VPN services, but we advise you to view them with a skeptical lens. Yes, they seem tempting because you can sign up without a credit card, and they’re usually plug-and-play. However, there’s more to them than meets the eye.
Free VPN providers need to make money to pay for staff salaries, maintaining servers, and other business overheads. Plus, the owners want a profit. Some achieve this by constantly inundating you with advertisements or unethically mining your data to sell for a profit. As such, they’re not interested in shipping a premium product. Hence you can expect a limited choice of servers, weak encryption standards, bandwidth throttling, and data caps, as well as non-existent customer service. Some services have also knowingly inserted malware in user devices.
If you wish to safely and securely stream geo-restricted media services, access public wifi, or log on to blocked sites, then free VPNs are typically a poor fit. Your location will be uncovered quicker than you think, and your connection won’t be secure.
Using a VPN in Romania: FAQs
What are the benefits of using a VPN in Romania?
Internet freedoms in Romania are somewhat of a mixed bag. On the one hand, the country is a signatory to EU laws pertaining to the privacy of user data. VPN companies registered there have an advantage in that they do not have to abide by any mandatory data retention laws, so that’s a positive factor. On the flip side, however, the first signs of internet censorship emerged in 2015 after the government deemed that gambling sites need to be restricted and controlled.
Activists have argued that this directive opens the gates for greater monitoring and surveillance of Romania’s internet landscape and that such directives need to be rolled back. The issue was even taken up by human rights defenders saying that it impinges on the fundamental rights of citizens to freedom of expression.
Freedom House adds that Romania’s press is only “partly free.” While the report does not go into specific details, this ranking is indicative of the fact that ordinary citizens aren’t assured of their fundamental rights and that the press does practice a degree of self-censorship.
Furthermore, the use of torrenting or downloading pirated material is illegal in Romania. This means there are stiff penalties if you are caught engaging in said activity. The use of a VPN will mask your identity on the internet, so don’t try to download torrents on an unsecured connection.
DISCLAIMER: Comparitech does not encourage using a VPN to stream or download content illegally. Please consult local laws beforehand if you’re not sure of the ramifications and refer to a local lawyer for expert advice.
Can I change my Netflix region while in Romania?
Logging on to Netflix while in Romania will automatically result in the display of the local library of content. That’s the case even if the original account was registered in another country, the US, for example. If you would like to view your home content library while traveling abroad, the only way is to connect to a VPN server first. In order to change your Netflix region, to US Netflix, for instance, you’ll have to connect to a US VPN server before logging on to the Netflix site or app.
Netflix blocks VPNs due to copyright restrictions it has in place with its media production partners. As such, not all VPNs are compatible with the service. We’ve highlighted the ones that are in our mini-reviews, but you can always check with customer support in case you run into any problems.
Watching Romanian television and accessing banking services when abroad
Romanian citizens who live abroad may find it useful to acquire an IP address from back home in order to keep in touch with local television programming or access their online banking accounts. This can only happen with a VPN.
Romanian television includes news, entertainment, and sports. Some of the popular channels are TV1, TV2, PRO TV, and PRO CINEMA. Some geo restrict their services so that only Romanian IP addresses are allowed access to their live streams. That’s where a VPN will be useful.
Banking and financial institutions won’t normally restrict access to only Romanian IP addresses, but their filters will be on high alert for a high volume of requests from abroad. That’s because this could be the work of hackers, a scenario they’re keen to avoid. It’s a safe call to access your bank accounts using a VPN first in order to make it appear that you’re in Romania, as it will prevent it from being flagged. The last thing you want is to be locked out of your account while on vacation.