Brave is an increasingly popular browser with a strong focus on privacy. Open source and based on the Chromium web browser, it stops annoying ads and trackers. However, there’s only so much a browser extension can do to keep you safe online. To secure your internet traffic, it’s important to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). In this post, we cover the best VPNs for Brave Browser, all of which even include compatible Chrome browser extensions.
Not familiar with how a VPN works? It’s not as complicated as you might think. When you connect to a VPN server, the traffic traveling to and from your device is encrypted, securing it from hackers and snoopers alike. Another benefit is that by connecting to a server in another country, you can spoof your location, allowing you to access region-locked or government-censored content. This includes streaming services and social media platforms.
In this post, you’ll find reviews of the best VPNs for Brave, as well as their various pros and cons. If you’re short of time and need a Brave VPN immediately, here’s a brief overview:
Best Brave Browser VPNs:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Brave. Fast VPN with over 5,000 servers. P2P and Double VPN servers available. No-logs service with 24/7 live chat and email support.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN for Brave. Works with over 30 Netflix libraries. High-speed servers and unlimited devices per account. MultiHop servers and a strict no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Fast with unlimited bandwidth. Strong unblocking and excellent apps which are secured with high-end encryption, a perfect partner for the Brave Browser.
- CyberGhost: More than 7,000 servers in 90 countries. Very fast speeds for streaming. Works with Netflix US. No logs and seven simultaneous connections.
- Private Internet Access: Reliable VPN with good speeds and a large server network. Secure 10 devices simultaneously. Strong security with a built-in ad blocker.
- Hotspot Shield: Stream Amazon Prime Video and Hulu from abroad. Servers in 80 countries. Great value with auto wi-fi protection as well as a password manager. Works with Brave.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Brave Browser with no restrictions for a month—perfect for protecting your privacy and bypassing geographic restrictions.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for Brave
So what sets the best VPNs for Brave apart from most? Well, there are certainly plenty of options on the market. However, we looked for those that offer all of the following features:
- Desktop and mobile apps and a Chrome (Brave-compatible) browser extension
- Fast servers and unlimited bandwidth for streaming without lag
- Secures data with military-grade encryption
- Doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users
- Customer support via live chat and email
- Multiple simultaneous connections per account
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Brave Browser:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is one of the biggest VPN providers around, and has the server network to prove it. Overall, some 5,000+ servers are available in 60 countries. This makes it a great choice for unblocking region-locked content while traveling abroad. Built on the WireGuard protocol, it offers impressive speeds, reaching 369 Mbps in our tests. What’s more, there’s unlimited bandwidth and it works well with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
This is a no-logs service that has been independently audited by PwC Switzerland. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks. You also have the option of connecting to specialty servers including Double VPN and Onion Over VPN. NordVPN includes live chat and email support, which is available around the clock. You can use its apps on up to six of your devices simultaneously.
Aside from a Chrome browser extension (compatible with Brave), you can find a browser extension for Firefox. Apps are offered for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. NordVPN also works with select routers but requires manual setup.
- Brave-compatible thanks to a Chrome extension
- Large server network (Over 5,000 in 60 countries)
- Fast for seamless browsing, streaming, and torrenting
- Specialty servers including P2P and Onion Over VPN
- Protects privacy with a strict no-logs policy
- Live chat and email support around the clock
- No kill switch on the Android app
BEST VPN FOR BRAVE:NordVPN is our top pick. It’s fast, works with Netflix, and has more than 5,000 servers in total. Option to connect to P2P and Double VPN servers. No-logs service with 24/7 support and an excellent Chrome extension. A 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try NordVPN risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has upgraded to WireGuard and posted speeds of 324 Mbps in our tests. Add to this the VPN’s unlimited bandwidth and it’s a strong candidate if you plan on streaming or torrenting. Notably, Surfshark works with more than 30 Netflix libraries—far more than most VPNs. You’ll find more than 3,000 servers in all, located across 65 countries. It also has a generous connection allowance, letting you secure as many devices as you like at once.
There are a lot of security features to help keep you safe online when using Surfshark. In particular, it has MultiHop (Double VPN) servers and an ad blocker. Of course, all traffic is encrypted with 256-bit AES encryption, while there’s also a kill-switch feature and protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks. This is a particularly beginner-friendly service but 24/7 live chat and email support is available should you have any issues.
You can use Surfshark on Brave with its Chrome browser extension. Alternatively, you can use its apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. There’s also a browser extension for Firefox. Routers require manual configuration.
- Use it with Brave as well as Chrome and Firefox
- Stream in 4K thanks to fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously
- 24-hour support via live chat and email
- Strong security offering includes MultiHop servers
- Sometimes slow to connect to servers
- Customer support could be better
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark offers excellent value for money with its high-speed servers, growing server network, and strong security offering. The apps and browser extensions are beginner-friendly and there’s live chat support, 24/7. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has an impressive network of over 3,000 servers located in 94 countries. As such, there’s little online content you won’t be able to access. This is backed up by the fact that NordVPN securely accesses many popular streaming platforms including Netflix. Server speeds are also top notch, ensuring you’ll be able to stream in high resolution without having to worry about lag or buffering.
This is one of the safest VPNs you can use, thanks to its use of 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. If the VPN connection drops, a kill switch cuts your internet traffic, preventing the exposure of your data. ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified, and is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands where there are no mandatory data retention laws. Plus, 24/7 support is also included.
Not only does ExpressVPN have a Brave-compatible browser extension (Chrome), it also offers extensions for Firefox and Edge. Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS apps are also available, as are those for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV. Custom firmware is offered for use with wireless routers.
- Browser extensions for Chrome (Brave-friendly), Firefox, and Edge
- Servers in 94 countries for accessing content worldwide
- High-speed connections combined with unlimited bandwidth
- Beginner-friendly apps as well as 24/7 support via live chat
- More expensive than many rival VPNs
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
RELIABLE CHOICE:ExpressVPN provides fast, consistent connections and works with many streaming services, Netflix included. Very easy-to-use apps and browser extensions. Secures your data with military-grade encryption. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost should be highlighted for the quantity of servers it offers—well over 7,000 across 90 countries. If you’re traveling overseas, you’ll be able to bypass most geographic and censorship restrictions. Having adopted WireGuard, this VPN is now enjoying much faster speeds too, posting an average download speed of 548 Mbps. CyberGhost even lets you secure up to seven devices at the same time via a single account.
This is a VPN with 24-hour support, accessible via live chat as well as email. With its strict no-logs policy, you’ll be able to browse and stream anonymously. This is further reinforced by essential security features that include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and automatic kill switch. CyberGhost has also introduced a whole host of extras such as a password manager, a Windows security suite, and even its own private browser.
This is a VPN that works with Brave thanks to its Chrome extension. Aside from a Firefox extension, there are also apps for use with Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. You can manually configure CyberGhost to work with select routers.
- Well over 7,000 servers in 90+ countries
- One of the fastest VPNs tested — perfect for streaming
- Easy-to-use Chrome extension which works with Brave
- Connect up to seven devices at the same time
- Like many VPNs, it doesn’t work well in China
- No apps for routers
VERY FAST SPEEDS:CyberGhost is posting impressive speeds for lag and buffer-free streaming. Use it to watch Netflix US from anywhere. Operates over 7,000 servers in 90 countries. No-logs policy and up to seven devices per account. Comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access provides you with access to thousands of servers in 80+ countries. With it, you can expect respectable speeds, allowing you to browse, stream, and torrent without restriction. You’ll be able to stream 4K video and shouldn’t suffer performance issues when doing so. While most VPNs let you connect up to five or six devices at once, PIA stands out for its allowance of up to 10 simultaneous connections.
Connecting to a PIA server ensures your online security. Indeed, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. You’ll also find a built-in ad blocker, a feature that not all VPNs offer. PIA has a no-logs policy and doesn’t know what you do online. Little information is required aside from an email address (you could use a burner account) and payment details. Any questions? PIA also offers live chat support.
To securely access Brave, use PIA’s Chrome extension or an appropriate app. These are offered for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. You can also find a Firefox browser extension, although use with routers does require manual setup.
- Provides a Chrome browser extension you can use with Brave
- Offers servers in an impressive 80+ countries
- Secure up to 10 of your devices at the same time
- Little information is required to sign up for an account
- Doesn’t work with many streaming sites
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
UP TO 10 CONNECTIONS:Private Internet Access won’t throttle your bandwidth and allows up to 10 simultaneous connections. Servers available in 80 countries while security includes an ad blocker. Chrome (Brave-compatible) extension. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield currently offers approximately 1,800 servers which are located in more than 80 countries globally. This includes the US, UK, Australia, and Japan. Indeed, this VPN’s US servers can be found in over two dozen cities, making it far easier to securely access geo-blocked content like Netflix US and Amazon Prime Video. Note that unlike some VPNs, Hotspot Shield won’t throttle your bandwidth.
With a Hotspot Shield account, you’ll be able to connect five devices at once. Security features consist of 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. However, Hotspot Shield offers a number of extras that make it particularly good value. This includes access to a password manager as well as a spam call blocker. No identifying logs are kept, allowing you to browse on Brave anonymously.
Hotspot Shield is compatible for use with Brave with its Chrome browser extension and apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. An app for Amazon Fire TV is also available. You can configure Hotspot Shield manually on select wi-fi routers.
- Secure Brave browsing thanks to a Chrome extension
- Watch Netflix US and Amazon Prime Video from abroad
- Network spanning 80 countries including the US
- Extra security features including a password manager
- Headquartered in the US (a Five Eyes member)
- No Firefox browser extension available
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
PASSWORD MANAGER:Hotspot Shield servers are available in 80 countries. Works with Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and Netflix US. Doesn’t keep identifying logs and offers access to a password manager and a spam call blocker. Has a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
How to use a VPN with Brave
If you haven’t used a VPN before, you may have concerns regarding ease of use. The good news is that the best VPNs are all very user-friendly with browser extensions and apps that are quick to set up and use.
Here’s how to use a VPN with Brave Browser:
- Start by signing up with one of the VPNs listed in this post. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download either the Brave-compatible Chrome extension or an app for your operating system.
- Sign in to the browser extension or app and connect to a server in your preferred location.
- You can now browse securely and anonymously as well as bypass restrictions on content.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Brave
There are hundreds of VPNs to choose from, each with various pros and cons. To find the best, we tested a wide range of services, prioritizing those that offer a Chrome (Brave-compatible) browser extension as well as provide the following:
- Servers worldwide: The larger the server network, the greater the flexibility you have when it comes to accessing content. We looked for VPNs that, ideally, have thousands of servers spread across dozens of countries. In particular, this had to include servers in the likes of the US, Canada, UK, and Australia.
- Speed: VPN speeds can vary drastically with some far too slow (and even throttling your bandwidth) if you’re looking to stream or torrent. In order to find the fastest VPNs for use with Brave, we conducted speed tests. Needless to say, all of the VPNs listed in this post are fast and provide unlimited bandwidth.
- Unblocking: Some of the apps and browser extensions that are compatible with Brave had to be discounted due to their poor unblocking. This is most commonly an issue when it comes to streaming services, some of which employ anti-VPN measures in an effort to discourage the use of VPNs.
- Security: If you want to be able to browse on Brave securely, you need a VPN that offers 256-bit AES encryption. It should also protect you from DNS leaks and offer a kill switch. The best VPNs for Brave offer various extras. This may be an ad blocker, automatic wifi protection, a password manager or Double VPN servers.
- Privacy: While Brave Browser has a strong focus on privacy, it’s still important for your VPN to use 256-bit AES encryption. This ensures your browsing data can’t be seen by anyone, your ISP included. It should also operate a no-logs policy and that’s why we’ve analyzed 140 VPN logging policies to find the best.
- Ease of use: One of the main advantages of using a browser extension as opposed to a VPN app is ease of use. Whatever you choose, you can expect a beginner-friendly design so you can connect to a server in seconds. This is combined with live chat and email support should you have any questions.
- Value for money: Aside from all the above, we looked for each VPN to provide affordable month-to-month and annual (or multi-year) subscription plans. To make them even better value, we’ve provided VPN discount coupons. All of the best VPNs for Brave also come with a risk-free money-back guarantee of at least 30 days.
Our VPN testing methodology involves extensive hands-on time with each VPN’s apps and browser extensions. We carry out a range of tests including those related to speed and security.
VPNs for Brave: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN with Brave?
There are a number of issues with free VPNs that you need to be aware of if you’re considering using one. Most have significantly smaller server networks, potentially making it that much more difficult to find a fast server close to your location. It also limits the amount of online content you can access. Speed-wise, the limited number of servers (and high number of users) usually results in very slow speeds. Bandwidth throttling is common and most noticeable when streaming due (low resolution video and far too much lag and buffering).
We should point out that most free VPNs don’t offer browser extensions. While you can find free browser extensions on the Chrome store, it’s worth exercising caution. Indeed, you should ask yourself how the free service makes money. You’ll likely have to put up with ads or, worse, your browsing data may be logged and sold to third parties. Free VPNs generally don’t offer the same kind of protection, often lacking key features, be it a key switch or no-logs policy. For these reasons, we don’t recommend using a free VPN with Brave.
Does Brave come with a built-in VPN?
Brave does come with a built-in VPN, but note that this feature is only available for iOS devices (it states that it will be available for Android and desktop devices “very soon”). It should also be noted that Brave VPN is a subscription service priced at $9.99 (GBP £7.57) a month or $99.99 (GBP £75.83) a year. Considering the limited support, the price seems a little steep. You can also only use it on up to five devices simultaneously (most of the above VPNs allow more).
How do I know if a browser extension is safe?
Does a VPN give me more privacy than private browsing in Brave?
When you use a Brave private window, the sites you visit don’t show up in your browsing history. Furthermore, cookies and form and site data disappear upon closing the window. However, this does not hide your IP address and thus your ISP can still see what you’re doing online.
Brave also offers the option of a private window with Tor connectivity. While this hides your IP address from the sites you visit, it still doesn’t provide the same kind of protection of a VPN. It’s also significantly slower. In contrast, a VPN encrypts your internet traffic so that your online activity is hidden.