Is IPVanish not working with BBC iPlayer? The popular streaming service gives access to live content and on-demand shows like Peaky Blinders, but it can only be accessed outside of the UK with the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Otherwise, you’re likely to see the following error message:
“BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues”.
Many VPNs struggle with BBC iPlayer, but IPVanish works well with the streaming service. There is a small chance that you could run into issues, so we’ve listed a number of simple fixes below.
Why isn’t IPVanish working with BBC iPlayer?
IPVanish normally unblocks BBC iPlayer so users can watch streams with no issues. This means there are only a few reasons why it won’t work:
Here are the most common reasons for IPVanish not working with BBC iPlayer:
- It could relate to the IP address that you’ve been assigned by IPVanish. The BBC blacklists connections from known VPN servers.
- Cookies could also be the culprit. iPlayer will store cookies on your device that tell the service that you’re not based in the UK.
- You may have connected to a server located outside of the UK. As such, you won’t be able to access iPlayer streams.
Here’s how to fix IPVanish not working with BBC iPlayer:
- Switch to another server located in the UK. Anywhere in England or Scotland is perfect for BBC iPlayer streams.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This will get rid of any IP address/location information that has been saved by iPlayer in the past.
- If you’re still running into issues, we advise getting in contact with the IPVanish support team. They should be able to direct you to the best server to use, or provide further assistance.
- Last but not least, you can always try another VPN. Our list of the best VPNs for BBC iPlayer includes NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN.
TRY THE TOP VPN FOR BBC IPLAYER RISK-FREE
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for BBC iPlayer with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to sign in to BBC iPlayer with IPVanish
IPVanish is a capable VPN which unblocks iPlayer and more. We’ve put together a step-by-step guide for iPlayer and IPVanish, although the process is similar for most VPNs.
You will need a TV licence to access iPlayer’s free streams.
Here’s how to sign in to BBC iPlayer with IPVanish:
- Sign up with IPVanish. (We’d recommend either NordVPN or Surfshark if you’re looking at alternatives.)
- Make a note of your login credentials.
- Download the relevant IPVanish app for the device you plan to stream iPlayer on. (IPVanish also has a capable Chrome browser extension.)
- Open the VPN app, login with your credentials, and select a server based in the UK. Anywhere in Scotland or England is ideal.
- Open BBC iPlayer and sign in/sign up if you haven’t done so already. You may need to confirm your date of birth, country, and UK postcode (any UK postal code is accepted).
- You’ll now be able to select the content you’d like to stream. If you’re still having problems, run through the solutions listed above.
The best VPNs for BBC iPlayer
Here are the most consistent VPNs in terms of their ability to access BBC iPlayer streams from anywhere.
- NordVPN: Best BBC iPlayer VPN overall. Speedy, premium VPN that unblocks a wealth of streaming platforms. Strong security, a no-logs policy, and comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best value BBC iPlayer VPN. Unlimited simultaneous device connections, affordable deals, advanced features, and iPlayer access make this VPN another viable choice.
- ExpressVPN: Numerous high-speed servers in 94 countries that are perfect for accessing iPlayer and other streaming platforms like Netflix US, ITV Hub, and All 4. Various security features, Lightway protocol.
- CyberGhost: Over 8,800 servers worldwide, with 700 in the UK alone split between Berkshire, London, and Manchester. Enhanced security features, unblocks various streaming platforms, comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- PrivateVPN: Unblocks streaming services like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and ITV Hub, works out to be one of the more affordable VPNs on the market. Comes with a no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Speedy VPN with multiple UK-based servers to access iPlayer streams. Capable apps, offers WireGuard support, and allows for an unlimited number of device connections.
- AtlasVPN: Another capable VPN that can be used to unblock iPlayer streams thanks to UK servers. Great connection speeds, and apps for all devices.
BBC iPlayer VPN FAQ
Are there any free VPNs that work with iPlayer?
It’s possible to use a free VPN with BBC iPlayer, but you’re likely to encounter issues along the way. For example, many free providers will limit bandwidth or connection speeds, while others will have had their UK IP addresses blocked by streaming services. (Some free VPNs won’t even have UK servers.)
Using a free VPN can also be a security risk. It may harvest your data, or lack the ability to encrypt the connection properly in the first place, as was the case with UFO VPN in 2020.
Is it legal to watch iPlayer with a VPN?
The use of a VPN is legal within the UK, although it does go against the BBC’s terms of service to connect from abroad with a provider like IPVanish.
We’ve tested hundreds of VPNs with the service over the years, and have yet to be blocked by iPlayer.
The BBC does ban IP addresses associated with VPNs, which is why only some providers are able to gain access to iPlayer streams.
What can I watch on BBC iPlayer?
The BBC is one of the largest content providers in the UK. Their iPlayer streaming service offers a range of live channels, including:
- BBC One
- BBC Two
- BBC Three
- BBC Four
- BBC News
- BBC Scotland
- BBC Parliament
- Radio 1
- BBC Alba
As well as their flagship live TV and radio channels, iPlayer also has a wealth of on-demand content that can be watched for free. It’s one of the more extensive streaming services found in the UK.
Why do streaming services like iPlayer region-lock their content?
For example, the BBC is likely to have the rights to show content in the UK, and will sell the rights to their shows in the United States and elsewhere. Peaky Blinders is on Netflix in the US.
If the BBC allowed international users to freely access their website, they’d be in breach of the agreements they’ve signed. As such, it’s much easier to region-lock content.
How does iPlayer know if I am using a VPN?
BBC iPlayer will check the IP address that you’re using to connect to the website or app. If it’s not based in the UK, you’ll be denied access.
A VPN is arguably the best method to bypass these blocks. It assigns you a new IP address that matches your server location.