BBC iPlayer content is only available to stream in the UK. While you can use a VPN to stream it from abroad, not all VPNs work with the popular streaming platform. The good news is that CyberGhost does work with BBC iPlayer. So if you’re coming across an error such as “This content doesn’t seem to be working”, there are a few things you can try to hopefully get it working again. In this post, we’ll take you through the process step by step.
With a VPN, or Virtual Private Network, you can connect to a server in the UK and obtain a UK IP address regardless of your physical location. This should allow you to bypass the geographic restrictions surrounding the live and on-demand content on BBC iPlayer. The trouble is that BBC iPlayer may blacklist an IP address if it’s believed to be coming from a VPN. As such, while CyberGhost is able to unblock BBC iPlayer, you may still encounter the occasional issue.
Why isn’t CyberGhost working with BBC iPlayer?
BBC iPlayer states, due to rights agreements, you need to be located in the UK to stream its content. It’s for this reason that you need to use a VPN to stream BBC iPlayer from overseas. However, there may be times when you find that CyberGhost doesn’t work with BBC iPlayer.
If CyberGhost isn’t working with BBC iPlayer, it’s likely for one of the following reasons:
- The IP address you’ve been assigned has already been blacklisted by BBC iPlayer.
- BBC iPlayer remembers your previous IP address and location due to a browser cookie.
- You’re not connected to a server in the UK and thus don’t have a UK IP address.
How to fix CyberGhost and BBC iPlayer
Here are some potential fixes to get CyberGhost working with BBC iPlayer:
- Connect to a CyberGhost server in the UK for a UK IP address. You can see your IP address and its respective location with our IP Address Check tool.
- Make sure you clear your cookies before you access BBC iPlayer. This helps BBC iPlayer forget your previous IP address and acknowledge the new one.
- If you’re encountering streaming errors, connect to a different UK server before clearing your cookies again. Changing your IP address may well do the trick.
Failing this, we recommend you get in touch with CyberGhost’s support, which is available 24/7 via live chat and email. You can then ask which server to use with BBC iPlayer.
TRY THE BEST VPN FOR BBC IPLAYER RISK-FREE
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for BBC iPlayer with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to sign in to BBC iPlayer with CyberGhost
It couldn’t be simpler to sign in to BBC iPlayer with CyberGhost. In fact, the process of using a VPN with BBC iPlayer is much the same, regardless of whether you use CyberGhost, NordVPN, or Surfshark, all of which make our list of the best VPNs for BBC iPlayer.
Here’s how you can sign in to BBC iPlayer using CyberGhost:
- Start by signing up with CyberGhost. This is quick and easy to do and it’s risk-free thanks to CyberGhost’s generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Next, you’ll need to download and install the VPN app on the device on which you plan to stream BBC iPlayer. CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections.
- You can now log in to the CyberGhost app and connect to a server. This should be a server in the UK. You’ll then have a UK IP address for unblocking BBC iPlayer.
- Go to BBC iPlayer and sign in (or sign up if you don’t yet have an account). While it’s free to sign up, a TV license is required in order to stream live or on-demand.
- Stream your preferred content. This should now be unblocked. If not, clear your cookies. You may also want to try another server or contact CyberGhost support for assistance.
CyberGhost with BBC iPlayer: FAQs
What can I watch on BBC iPlayer?
You can watch TV shows and films from a variety of genres on BBC iPlayer. What’s more, you can stream all of this content live and on-demand for free (a TV license is required however). Here are some of the titles currently available on the platform:
- Line of Duty
- The Apprentice
- The Gold
- Silent Witness
- Dragon’s Den
- Kick-Ass 2
- Mr Jones
- The Wedding Planner
- The Beach
- Kung Fu Panda 3
- Rain Man
- The King’s Speech
- Going in Style
- The Mule
How does BBC iPlayer know I’m using a VPN?
BBC iPlayer is similar to many other streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu in that it’s able to detect you’re using a VPN by looking at your IP address. If many different devices access BBC iPlayer via the same IP address, it knows that it’s likely a shared IP address from a VPN. Due to the fact that BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK, it therefore takes action by blacklisting the IP address in question, preventing it from working with its service.
Are there any free VPNs that work with BBC iPlayer?
The reality is that very few free VPNs are able to unblock BBC iPlayer. IP addresses are quickly identified and blacklisted due to the sheer number of users all sharing them. Besides, free VPNs are far from ideal for streaming, because their speeds are too slow. Most will throttle your bandwidth, preventing you from streaming in HD, never mind 4K. This also results in a lot of buffering and lag. We also advise against free VPNs due to their lack of security and privacy protection. Many are known to keep extensive logs that may be sold to third parties.