Don’t want to miss any episodes of Eastenders while you’re on vacation? While new episodes air from Monday to Thursday (7:30 PM BST) on BBC One, the BBC’s online streaming service, BBC iPlayer, is only available in the UK. So if you’re traveling abroad, you’ll likely lose access to your home streaming service. In that case, you’ll need a VPN and a UK IP address to watch Eastenders and keep up with all the drama in Albert Square.
VPNs increase your security by encrypting your network traffic, making it unreadable to any third-party observers such as your ISP or network administrators. Additionally, they allow you to spoof your location by connecting to servers all over the world. This tricks sites into believing you’re located in a different country, bypassing any regional restrictions and allowing you to stream previously inaccessible content.
Want the short version? Here’s a quick guide to our top VPNs for streaming Eastenders abroad:
- NordVPN: Best VPN watching Eastenders online from abroad. A speedy, secure VPN with exceptional unblocking abilities and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for UK TV.
- Surfshark: The best budget option. Lets you connect every device you own. Fast and privacy-focused, with lots of reliable UK servers to choose from.
- ExpressVPN: An extremely fast provider that makes it easy to stream your favorite shows abroad. Strong set of security features built-in.
- CyberGhost: An ideal first VPN. High speeds, a huge network, pre-configured security, and streaming-optimized servers.
- PrivateVPN: This no-logs VPN unblocks most of the services we’ve tried it with. Also ranks highly in terms of speed, security, and privacy.
- Private Internet Access: A fast and secure VPN based in the US that works great to watch Eastenders outside of the UK.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Eastenders with no restrictions for a month. This is perfect for anyone hopinh to binge their favorite show on a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch Eastenders online for free abroad
VPNs change your IP address, making it seem as though you’re actually in a different location, allowing you to access geo-blocked services abroad. Sound confusing? Don’t worry, they’re actually quite simple to use.
Follow the steps below to bypass geo-blocking and stream Eastenders from anywhere:
- First, register with one of the VPNs below (we recommend NordVPN).
- Next, download and install the software that’s compatible with your streaming device.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s British servers. This provides you with the UK IP address you need to access BBC iPlayer from anywhere.
- Try loading a video on the BBC iPlayer. It should begin immediately without any geographic restrictions.
- Note that you may have to clear your browser’s cache and cookies. Failing this, try a different server to change your IP address.
Best VPNs for watching Eastenders abroad – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for watching Eastenders and UK TV abroad.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||PrivateVPN||Private Internet Access|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||PrivateVPN.com||PrivateInternetAccess.com||Ranking for watching Eastenders||1||2||3||4||5||6||UK servers||440+ servers||3 cities||4 locations||3 cities / 850+ servers||5 cities / 111 servers||100+||Streaming services||BBC iPlayer|
Netflix (US, UK + more)
|Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Avg Speed (UK)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||41 Mbps||25 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 69% + 3 months FREE
Save 82% + Get 4 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months free
Save 85% on a one year plan + 24-months free
SAVE 83% on the 2 yr plan + 4 FREE months
Choosing the best VPNs for Eastenders
Because there are so many VPN services to choose from, all advertising different features, it can be difficult to decide which one is right for you, especially as many VPNs won’t work with BBC iPlayer. To find the best VPN for watching EastEnders from abroad, we looked for services with the following qualities:
- Capable of unblocking BBC iPlayer and similar British streaming platforms
- Several servers in the UK
- Fast, stable connections
- Strong encryption and additional security features
- Privacy-focused logging policy
This is a summary, but you can read in more detail about how we test the VPNs we recommend further below.
Best VPNs for watching Eastenders abroad
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for streaming Eastenders online from abroad (outside the UK):
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has more than 400 servers in the UK, and they’re all optimized for HD streaming. This means you can watch EastEnders live on BBC iPlayer without any issues. Since this service is capable of accessing other platforms like Netflix UK, All 4, and BT Sport, you’ll never be short of something to watch. NordVPN offers impressive speeds thanks to its proprietary NordLynx VPN protocol.
With built-in anti-malware and ad-blocking features, NordVPN makes staying safe online incredibly simple. This service uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a process-specific kill switch to keep your browsing habits secure at all times. NordVPN keeps no logs and can be paid for in Bitcoin, making it a strong choice for privacy-focused users.
NordVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. It also offers Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions. Manual configuration is required for supported routers.
- Wider network than many of its rivals
- 400+ servers in the UK
- Speedy, with no bandwidth limits
- Advanced security features
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- Quality customer support around the clock
- Quite expensive single month plan
BEST VPN FOR EASTENDERS:NordVPN is our #1 pick. Boasts high speeds, excellent unblocking capabilities, and strong security features. Its plans all include a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has more than 3,000 servers in 100+ countries, including the UK. Further, it has no problems whatsoever unblocking stubborn platforms like BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, or Sky Go. This means you’ll be able to watch all your favorite shows while on vacation, not just Eastenders. Best of all, Surfshark has no connection limit, so you can connect every device you own simultaneously.
This VPN excels at keeping you safe online. It uses 256-bit encryption, protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, and a kill switch to secure your traffic, and a no-logs policy to ensure your activities can’t be traced back to you. If you’d like an additional layer of anonymity, you can pay in Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Ripple. Need help? Surfshark’s customer support is on-hand 24/7 over email and live chat.
Surfshark offers Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV apps. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox. If you’d prefer, Surfshark can also be manually configured for use with your wireless router.
- Takes your security seriously
- Lets you use BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and similar platforms abroad
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Keeps no logs and accepts cryptocurrency
- 24/7 live chat support
- Sometimes slow to connect when switching servers
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark boasts strong multi-platform support and lets you connect any number of devices, so it’s great if you like to stream on-the-go. As if that wasn’t enough, it also offers powerful security features, an affordable price point, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is capable of accessing the most popular streaming services in Britain including BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and Sky Go. Further, with its high-speed servers, ExpressVPN is fast enough to play high-definition content without any lag or buffering. Not all servers will unblock all video streams, but you can easily find out which ones do by contacting the 24/7 live chat support.
It uses 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy to protect your data. A kill switch prevents you from streaming without protection. This service doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, accepts Bitcoin, and has a separate Tor-accessible site, making it perfect for users who value anonymity above all else.
ExpressVPN offers dedicated apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. You can also find Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions. Its custom firmware can be installed on select wireless routers.
- Reliable, high-speed connections
- Privacy and security-conscious
- Strong unblocking ability
- Multi-platform support
- 24/7 customer service
- Slightly more expensive
- Streaming services aren’t labeled
VERY HIGH SPEEDS:ExpressVPN is extremely fast, with a strong focus on security and privacy. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 9,000 servers in 90+ countries and over 700 in the UK alone. This VPN is fast enough to stream live HD video without any noticeable buffering, and better still, it’s able to reliably access services like BBC iPlayer, Netflix UK, and the ITV Hub from abroad. Seven simultaneous connections are permitted too, so you can stream freely on whichever device you prefer.
This service’s security features all come pre-configured and enabled by default. There’s 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch (in every version), automatic ad-blocking, and a malware scanner built-in. CyberGhost doesn’t log any information which could identify you, but it’s possible to pay in Bitcoin if you’d like extra protection. This service is very user-friendly, but if you need help, you can contact support 24/7 over live chat.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. It even offers a free Chrome extension. CyberGhost works with select network routers but must be configured manually first.
- Over 700 servers in the UK
- Fast and user-friendly
- Able to unblock numerous British streaming platforms
- Strong security and privacy features
- 24/7 support via live chat
- Doesn’t work in China
- More suited to beginners than power users
BEST FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost takes your security and privacy seriously. Further, it’s reliable, fast, and has excellent unblocking potential. CyberGhost has a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN might only have a few locations in the UK, but it’s excellent for streaming thanks to its high speeds and above-average unblocking capabilities. It can access BBC iPlayer, the British Netflix library, ITV Hub, and All 4, among others. Better yet, PrivateVPN is fast enough that you can watch live HD content with little to no lag or buffering.
With a no-logs policy, 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, this service ensures you never need to browse insecurely. It permits up to ten simultaneous connections at once, so you can protect an entire household with a single account. PrivateVPN offers live support 22 hours per day and, with your permission, the staff can remotely control your device to solve any issues.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. It can also be manually installed on Linux and a selection of routers.
- Higher speeds than most
- Works with BBC iPlayer and Netflix UK
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- Allows up to ten connections
- Smaller network than its rivals
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
FLAWLESS STREAMING:PrivateVPN offers high-speed connections, a no-logging policy, and powerful security features. It even includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access is great for streaming thanks to its high-speed servers and strong unblocking capabilities. It can access various international services, including Netflix and Amazon Prime. It’s also great for watching British TV services, including Britbox and BBC iPlayer. You can even use PIA to secure all of your devices because there’s no connection limit.
This VPN service uses robust 256-bit encryption to keep your data secure in transit. There’s also a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a bunch of customization options to let you strengthen or weaken the encryption based on your personal needs.PIA also has a no logs policy, which means it never tracks what users do online.
Apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV while extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. To use PIA with a compatible router, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions.
- High speeds
- Lots of advanced security options
- Can unblock several streaming platforms while abroad
- Based in the US
- App design is somewhat lacking
STREAM SAFELY:PIA is highly secure, privacy-focused, and fast enough for live streaming. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee to let you try it risk-free.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Finding the best VPNs to watch Eastenders abroad: our methodology
You want to be able to watch Eastenders on your streaming device regardless of your location. It’s likely you also don’t want to have to contend with a VPN that’s tricky to use either. We take a multitude of factors into account as part of our methodology which helps guide us in finding VPNs that fit your specific use case.
- Servers in the UK: BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK which means that any VPN you use should offer servers in that location. However, we still look for VPNs that offer servers in dozens of countries so that you can access even more geo-restricted content such as Netflix USA, for example.
- Fast server speeds: It’s little good if a VPN is able to unblock BBC iPlayer but ultimately doesn’t allow you to stream without performance issues. A common theme among the fastest VPNs is that they offer unlimited bandwidth and offer high-speed VPN protocols such as WireGuard.
- Strong security: One of the main benefits of using a VPN is that it can improve your online security. This is achieved through the use of 256-bit encryption which hides data from hackers and snoopers. We look for this as well as features including DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
- Privacy protection: We’ve looked at some 140 VPN logging policies in an effort to identify VPNs that protect your privacy (as well as those that don’t so you can avoid them!). The best VPNs don’t keep any identifying logs of users and require you to provide little data when signing up for their services.
- Ease of use: Of course, any VPN you use should make connecting to a server quick and easy. This can be in as little as one or two clicks (or taps of a screen!). The good news is that, as part of our in-depth analysis, we test each VPN’s apps to ensure it’s beginner-friendly.
- Value for money: Last but not least, we’ve only selected VPNs that we feel offer the best value for money. Indeed, there are hundreds of VPNs on the market that don’t offer all of the above yet work out to be more expensive. Look for the discount coupons found in this post and you can save even more.
If you’d like to know more about how we analyze VPNs, take a look at our VPN testing methodology post.
A guide to British regional restrictions
You can watch EastEnders by connecting to any server in England, Scotland, or Wales. This is because BBC iPlayer has a consistent library regardless of where you are in the UK (Northern Ireland excluded). However, other platforms might have more specific restrictions in place.
Take the ITV Hub, for instance. If you try to watch Scottish content like Rebus, you’ll be directed to the STV Player, which is the Scottish version of the platform. STV requires a Scottish IP address and users have to register for an account before they can watch anything. ITV Hub also requires registration, but you can’t use your ITV Hub account on the STV Player site.
Generally, there’s a fairly simple way of telling which server to connect to. Look at the plot description: if it’s set in Scotland, it’s likely a Scottish show and you’ll need a Scottish IP address. You can apply the same rule to Welsh shows, although Welsh servers are much less common. If you’re not sure which you need, use an English server — most of the time, this will work.
Watching EastEnders abroad FAQ
Can I use a free VPN to watch EastEnders?
We know that free VPNs can be tempting, but we strongly advise against using them. To start with, these services are almost always slower than premium ones. This is because they have fewer servers and more people trying to use them. As such, videos will likely take a long time to load and may pause frequently to buffer.
Because free VPNs can’t take money from their users, they have to find other ways to turn a profit. Unfortunately, this often comes at the user’s expense. For instance, they can inject ads into the sites you visit, track your activities after you disconnect, or sell details of your activities to third parties.
This isn’t just speculation. We’ve seen recent cases where free VPNs install malware, mislead users about the logs they keep, and sell their users’ bandwidth without them knowing. To keep your personal information safe, we advise using a reputable VPN with customer-focused privacy and logging policies.
Why isn’t my VPN working?
Occasionally, you might find that you can’t watch content on the iPlayer even though you’re connected to a British server. Streaming platforms usually only have the rights to broadcast content in specific countries. With the growing usage of VPNs, large platforms have invested plenty of resources into detecting people who use VPNs to watch from abroad.
This is often done by blacklisting VPN server IP addresses. Essentially, the process has become a cat and mouse game between streaming platforms and VPN providers: the platform blocks an IP address, and the provider changes the address that it uses.
As such, most of the time, you can simply reconnect to the server and try loading the content again. If the problem persists, try connecting to a different British server. It’s highly unlikely that the platform has blacklisted every IP address from every server.
Can you watch Eastenders in America?
Britbox has the last couple of years of Eastenders and is available in both the UK and the US. This service comes with a seven-day trial, after which it costs $6.99 USD per month.
What channels can I watch Eastenders on?
Eastenders airs on BBC One, which means you can stream it online, live or on-demand, using BBC iPlayer. It’s also repeated on W Channel later the same day, but there’s no real reason to use this platform over the iPlayer.
Is Eastenders on Hulu?
Unfortunately, Hulu doesn’t offer any episodes of Eastenders, although it does have Coronation Street. At the time of writing, Britbox is the only US streaming service offering access to Eastenders.
Can I watch Eastenders from the beginning?
There’s currently no way to watch Eastenders from the beginning legally. After all, the show has aired multiple times per week for 35 years. However, Drama shows episodes from older seasons most days, so if you’d like to start close to the origins of Albert Square, you technically can.