SlingTV is a US-based TV streaming service. It is only accessible from the United States because SlingTV only has the right to broadcast content within the US. That means that even if you have a valid subscription, you technically won’t be able to watch SlingTV from abroad.
We used the word “technically” because, as you likely already know, this limitation can be bypassed by using a VPN like NordVPN. But there are a few hoops to jump through to get it working.
So if you’re having trouble accessing SlingTV using NordVPN, don’t worry. There are a few things you can do to get it up and running, and we’ve covered them all.
Why isn’t NordVPN giving me access to SlingTV?
As mentioned above, SlingTV’s streaming service is only available within the United States. That means the content will be inaccessible (geo-blocked) to users from anywhere else.
NordVPN is one of the best VPN services to access streaming sites, so it should work under most circumstances. If it does not, then it’s likely due to one of the following reasons:
- You’re not connected to a VPN server in the United States. SlingTV is only available within the US, so you need to be connected to a US server.
- SlingTV placed a cookie in your app or browser, revealing your previous IP address and location, leading to a denial of service.
- The IP address of the VPN server you’re connected to has been blocked by SlingTV because it was identified as belonging to a VPN server.
- You’re experiencing a DNS leak that reveals your “real” DNS servers. These are likely your ISP’s DNS servers that are outside the US.
Don’t worry, though. The above can quite easily be fixed.
How to fix NordVPN not working with SlingTV
Here’s how to fix NordVPN not working with SlingTV:
- Make sure you’re connected to a VPN server located in the United States to get an American IP address. If you are already connected to a US server, try a different server within the US. The IP address of the one you’re currently connected to may have been blocked.
- Clear your browser’s cache. That should remove any residual cookies.
- Try using incognito mode in your browser, or try a different browser altogether.
- To ensure you’re not leaking your ISP’s DNS servers, configure your device to use NordVPN’s DNS servers. The addresses are 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
- Restart your device.
- Restart the NordVPN app and make sure the Threat Protection is off. It may be blocking needed resources.
- If all else fails, you can try the NordVPN browser extension and access SlingTV using the browser extension rather than using the NordVPN app.
How to sign into SlingTV with NordVPN
Once you’ve worked out the kinks and can access the SlingTV site, signing in and using the service is child’s play.
- Sign up to NordVPN if you haven’t already done that. With its 30-day money-back guarantee, there’s no risk.
- Download and install NordVPN’s client app for your device.
- Log in to the NordVPN app and connect to a US-based server to get a US IP address.
- Go to the SlingTV website. It should be accessible.
- If it’s not accessible, follow the steps above to get it working.
WANT TO TRY NORDVPN RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for SlingTV without any restrictions for a month—great if you want to try the best VPN currently available on the market.
There are no hidden terms to be aware of—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Which are the best NordVPN alternatives for streaming SlingTV?
Not all VPN providers work with streaming sites, so choosing one that is compatible with streaming services is essential. Here are some of the best alternatives to NordVPN for SlingTV:
- Surfshark: The best choice for the thrifty. Excellent prices, great streaming support, and lots of servers to choose from.
- ExpressVPN: Another tried and tested VPN provider. ExpressVPN has top-notch privacy and security practices and works well with most streaming sites.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost provides excellent streaming support at a great price.
- IPVanish: IPVanish is lesser-known, but it provides unlimited connections and supports a good number of streaming sites.
See also: The best VPNs for SlingTV
NordVPN & SlingTV FAQ
What can I watch with SlingTV?
SlingTV offers a mix of live television shows and on-demand content. Some of the channels available to stream include:
How does SlingTV know I'm using a VPN?
When you go online, whether or not you're using a VPN, your device is assigned an IP address. Any website or online service you connect to gets your IP address. When you use a VPN, the site or service still gets your IP address, except now, it's the VPN server's IP address they're getting, not your ISP-assigned "real" IP address. But VPN providers' IP addresses can be identified. It's very likely the streaming service keeps tabs on these. That's one way.
Another way SlingTV can know you're using a VPN is if a vast number of users are accessing the service from the same US-based IP address. That's enough for it to infer the IP address belongs to a VPN server and block it.
Are there any free VPN services that work with SlingTV?
If there are, they're going to be few and far between. Free VPNs tend to have small server networks, meaning that the bulk of their users are all on just a few VPN servers, which can get their IPs blocked quickly. Also, many, if not most, free VPNs have poor speeds and poor security, so they're not recommended.
Will using a VPN slow down my connection?
Using a VPN inevitably adds some latency to your connection, which translates to slower speeds. That doesn't have to be dramatic - and with a good VPN provider, it'll barely be noticeable. But, yes, a VPN will somewhat slow your connection down.
If you want the best speeds, we'd recommend using the WireGuard protocol if your provider supports it. NordVPN supports WireGuard through its NordLynx protocol (it's WireGuard with some extra tech to prevent NordVPN from storing IP addresses).
Can I install NordVPN on my router instead of using the app?
Yes, you can. Setting up a VPN connection on your router has two main benefits. First, it allows you to connect to the VPN without an app. Simply connecting to the router takes care of that. Second, it will enable you to bypass your VPN provider's limit on simultaneous connections.
NordVPN provides setup guides on how to configure this on supported routers. These include:
- ASUS Merlin
If you'd rather take a simpler route, NordVPN also sells pre-configured VPN routers with NordVPN already set up.
Is it legal to use a VPN to watch SlingTV?
Yes, it is. There's nothing illegal about connecting to a VPN server and accessing the internet. But accessing SlingTV from abroad violates its terms of service. Hence it can ban your IP address even if you have a paid subscription. Services may not go as far as terminating your account, but banning VPN IP addresses happens daily.
Does NordVPN keep any logs?
NordVPN has a strict no-logging policy. That means it doesn't log things like your DNS requests, the websites you visit, your original IP address, etc. NordVPN is private, secure, and safe.
That being the case, it does collect some information from its customers. These are things like your device identifiers, your username, and your session timestamps. This information is collected to render its services and for network maintenance. Everything is deleted 15 minutes after you disconnect.
Will my ISP know if I'm using a VPN?
Yes, it will. Your ISP will know that you've connected to a VPN server and can also identify the VPN provider. It will also see the port and VPN protocol you're using, the connection times, and the amount of traffic sent and received.
It can't see what you're doing and where you're going online. So, the websites you visit, the files you download, etc., become inaccessible to your ISP when using a VPN