HRT is geo-blocked, which can cause problems when traveling outside of Croatia. If you log into the website or app from any country other than Croatia, you’ll see this error: “Sadržaj nije dostupan zbog ograničenih autorskih prava!”, which roughly translates as “Content not available due to limited copyright!”
The solution is really quite simple. All you have to do is connect to a Croatian VPN server. This changes your IP address, which is what many streaming platforms (including HRT) use to find your location. Once connected, all of your traffic will appear to be coming from back home in Croatia, so HRT won’t be able to tell that you’re actually elsewhere, and will let you access its content as normal. Additionally, the best VPNs encrypt your internet traffic, enhancing your privacy by shielding your activities from anyone who might be monitoring the network.
How to stream HRT online from anywhere using a VPN
Never used a VPN before? Don’t worry, they’re actually easier to use than you might expect. Follow these steps to unblock and stream HRT live online, wherever you are.
Here’s how to watch HRT online from anywhere:
- First of all, you’ll have to decide which VPN to use. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download the VPN app, making sure to install it on any device you use for streaming regularly. You’ll usually be allowed five connections at once but this varies from one VPN to another.
- Login and connect to any of your VPN’s Croatian servers.
- Finally, open the HRT app or website and start a video. It should start immediately, but if it doesn’t, clearing your cookies and cache will fix the most common problems. Alternatively, try a different browser (we had no problems with Chrome or Firefox), or ask your VPN’s support team for further assistance.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for HRT, free from any restrictions, for a month—great if you’re looking to stream your favorite shows during your travels abroad.
There are no hidden terms or conditions—just tell support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The hardest part is often just deciding which VPN to use! There are, after all, new services cropping up seemingly every week, and they all claim to be the best, fastest, or most secure. Instead of spending hours trying to track down the objectively best VPN, we recommend choosing a well-balanced service instead. This guarantees you a versatile VPN that’s able to deal with any day-to-day task without breaking a sweat. All of the services we’re recommending meet the criteria below:
- Can unblock HRT from outside of Croatia
- Offers reliable connections and speeds that are high enough for live streaming
- Keeps you safe using powerful encryption and various other security features
- Doesn’t log any data that could be traced back to you
- Includes apps for all major operating systems and devices
In a rush? No problem; you’ll find an at-a-glance guide to the best VPNs for HRT below. If any stand out to you, just scroll a little further down the page for more information.
Best VPNs for watching HRT online
- NordVPN: Our top pick for HRT. Extremely fast service with top-tier security and privacy features. Keeps no logs and comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN for streaming HRT abroad. Offers fast speed and unblocking ability, without compromising on security. Connect any number of devices at once.
- ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN on the market. Works flawlessly with HRT and similar services. Offers access to a huge range of locations and security tools.
- CyberGhost: Has over a dozen speedy Croatian servers. Great at unblocking stubborn services. Offers pre-configured security settings and 24/7 support.
- IPVanish: A quick and lightweight provider with a true no-logs policy. Works well with HRT and Nova TV. No limit on the number of simultaneous connections you can have.
- PrivateVPN: Boasts above-average speeds, plus the ability to unblock many popular streaming services abroad. It keeps no logs and puts your privacy above all else.
- Hotspot Shield: This provider is quick, reliable, and more than capable of streaming HRT from abroad. Good set of security tools. More locations to choose from than many of its rivals.
The best VPNs for HRT
Let’s cut to the chase. Here are our more detailed reviews of the best VPNs for HRT:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our #1 choice for those hoping to use HRT outside of Croatia. It provides access to almost 60 exceptionally fast servers in this country, with more than 5,400 in total worldwide. Additionally, it’s capable of unblocking notoriously difficult streaming platforms including Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, and Netflix. Up to six simultaneous connections are permitted per account.
Its security offering is equally impressive, with 256-bit AES encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and an app-specific kill switch built-in. In mid-2020, this VPN introduced its own WireGuard-based protocol named NordLyx that offers enhanced privacy and better speeds. Further, NordVPN’s servers all run on RAM (ensuring no data can be stored locally) and its no-logging policy has been independently verified. Support is available around the clock via email and live chat.
NordVPN apps are available for iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, and Windows devices. Alternatively, you can manually install it on supported routers to secure an entire network.
- Ranks highly in terms of speed
- Works with most geo-blocked services
- Plenty of security tools built-in
- Proven no-logs policy
- 24/7 support desk
- Takes two clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN FOR HRT:NordVPN is our first choice. It has all of the tools you need to watch HRT safely abroad, and thanks to its high speeds, you won’t even have to wait for it to buffer. This zero-logs provider even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can try it risk-free.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget choice. It stands out by allowing you to connect as many devices as you like, whereas most of its rivals permit just a handful of connections. Speeds are more than fast enough for live streaming and torrenting. Further, with servers in 60+ countries, you’ll be able to access a huge range of geo-blocked platforms including HRT, Disney+, and over 30 regional Netflix libraries.
This provider recently won a Cybersecurity Excellence Award, which says everything you need to know. It keeps you safe with a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a CleanWeb option that blocks ads, trackers, and malware automatically. Surfshark also follows a strict zero-logs policy, meaning it can’t reveal details of your activities to anyone. Should you run into any problems, support staff are on-hand 24/7 over live chat and email.
Surfshark users have access to apps for Android, Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Linux. Further, this service can be manually installed on a wide range of supported routers. This VPN is fully compatible with Apple’s M1 chip, which provides a smoother experience for MacOS users.
- Fast enough for almost any task
- Known for its strong unblocking ability
- Prioritizes user security
- Keeps no logs
- No connection limit
- Customer support has room for improvement
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is the best way to stream HRT without breaking the bank. It has everything you could ever want including high speeds, an impressive security toolkit, and the option to connect all of your devices at once. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Check out the complete Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is ideal for live streaming in part because of its excellent unblocking abilities and network that spans 94 countries. However, it also offers the fastest speeds we’ve seen, averaging 135 Mbps — that’s enough for five people in your household to watch 4K video at the same time! In practical terms, this makes lag and buffering vanishingly unlikely. ExpressVPN allows you to secure up to five devices at once.
This service comes with several powerful security and privacy tools, including DNS and IPv6 leak protection, 256-bit encryption, and a kill switch. Of course, that’s not all: it also has its own Lightway protocol (which is optimized for speed and security), plus split tunneling functionality, which allows specific apps to bypass the VPN. ExpressVPN refuses to log any data that could personally identify you, though you can pay in Bitcoin for additional privacy. Live chat-based support is available 24/7.
ExpressVPN has its own MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android apps. There’s also custom router firmware, which recently received an update making it faster and more reliable than ever before.
- Faster speeds than any other VPN we’ve tested
- No problems unblocking HRT abroad
- Takes user security and privacy very seriously
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Costs slightly more than some others in this list
LAG-FREE STREAMING:ExpressVPN is an industry leader when it comes to speed. Not only that, but it excels at accessing stubborn geo-restricted services like Netflix and, to a lesser extent, HRT. Best of all, this security-conscious service has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our in-depth ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has a network that dwarfs that of its rivals, with 7,500+ servers in 91 countries (and around 15 in Croatia alone). This makes it extremely easy to stream HRT while traveling, and if you’d like to access other platforms, there are specific servers designed for unblocking services like Disney+ and Netflix US. What’s more, with generally high speeds and a seven-connection limit, users are free to stream across all of their devices at once.
This provider continuously improves its security offering. For instance, recent updates have added WireGuard support to CyberGhost’s already impressive array of features. These include an ad-blocker, 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. This VPN doesn’t keep any personally identifiable data and periodically publishes transparency reports to back up its no-logs claims. Customer support is accessible 24/7 over email and live chat.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux systems. If you’d prefer, you can manually configure this VPN for use with select wireless routers.
- Has over a dozen speedy Croatian servers
- Dedicated streaming servers
- Strong commitment to privacy
- Easy to use VPN with 24/7 support
- Might not offer enough flexibility for advanced users
QUICK AND VERSATILE:CyberGhost is a strong choice for anyone new to VPNs. It makes streaming HRT abroad incredibly easy, and its pre-configured security tools mean you’re fully protected from the moment you connect. All plans include a 45-day money-back guarantee.
For more details, read our comprehensive CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish users can unblock not just HRT, but other in-demand platforms like Netflix US and HBO Max. Its network of 1,600 servers spans around 60 countries and recently underwent an upgrade, allowing it to provide even faster, more reliable speeds — just what you need for live streaming. Best of all, this VPN lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
This service follows a true no-logging policy and can even scramble your OpenVPN traffic to help get around especially strict VPN-detection measures. It also offers DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and 256-bit encryption, with WireGuard support scheduled to arrive later this year. IPVanish provides around-the-clock support, with help available over both email and live chat.
IPVanish comes with apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS. Linux systems and select network routers are supported, although these have to be configured manually.
- Fast enough for flawless HD streaming
- Boasts an exceptional security toolkit
- No-logs policy
- Connect any number of devices
- Doesn’t have many Croatian servers
NO LOGS VPN:IPVanish is great for watching HRT abroad, and thanks to its powerful security tools and no-logs policy, it’s a solid option for torrenting and browsing too. Users can secure an entire household from a single account. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Check out the full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN may have a fairly small network, but it has expanded slightly in recent months (up to 200 servers in 63 countries). Further, this provider owns all of these servers outright and has optimized them to provide some of the fastest speeds on the market. Live streaming HRT poses no issue, and users can even access services like Amazon Prime Video abroad. Up to six simultaneous connections are allowed at once.
Here’s how serious PrivateVPN is about your security: it recently became its own ISP and hosting provider, completely removing any chance of third parties accessing your traffic. It also follows a strict zero-logs policy and packs its apps full of powerful tools. These include 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, and a customizable kill switch, plus a stealth mode for browsing safely in countries with strict online censorship. Customer support is available almost (but not quite) 24/7 over email and live chat.
PrivateVPN offers apps for MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android. Users can follow manual setup instructions to secure their home routers too.
- Exceptionally high speeds
- Works with a wide range of streaming services
- Excellent security and privacy credentials
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
- Only has one server in Croatia
GREAT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is faster than most of its rivals, and works with a huge range of geo-blocked services. Further, it boasts some of the strongest privacy available since it owns all of its own infrastructure. This VPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our complete review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has no problems unblocking HRT from outside of Croatia. In fact, it even works with major international services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+. There’s minimal trial and error required thanks to this provider’s dedicated streaming servers. With an average speed of 63 Mbps, you shouldn’t notice any lag while watching TV. A maximum of five devices can be secured at the same time.
This VPN helps shield you from snoopers using a blend of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Crucially, it isn’t content to rest on its laurels; recent updates have brought IKEv2 support and a feature that connects to the VPN automatically if it detects you’re on an unsecured network. There’s also the proprietary Hydra protocol, which it claims maximizes security and speed. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any logs and offers 24/7 support via live chat or email.
Hotspot Shield has user-friendly apps for iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows, and Linux. What’s more, this service works with plenty of routers (though you’ll have to install it manually).
- High speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Excellent unblocking potential
- Good range of security settings
- Doesn’t support any anonymous payment options
- Some past privacy concerns
SPEEDY AND SECURE:Hotspot Shield has no issues unblocking HRT outside of Croatia. Its speeds are consistently impressive, and its security features are ideal for maintaining privacy while on vacation. Still not sure? This service has a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Why not check out our full Hotspot Shield review?
Methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for HRT
Some VPNs are better for streaming HRT than others. After all, every service has different unblocking capabilities, speed, and security. When considering the best VPNs for HRT, we evaluated all of our candidates on the following criteria:
- Streaming services: What other services can this VPN unblock from abroad? We put each potential recommendation against popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+ to see just how strong their unblocking abilities are.
- Servers in Croatia: Without these, you simply can’t unblock HRT. Nearby servers also keep latency to a minimum, meaning you get as fast a connection as possible.
- Speed: Slow speeds lead to laggy streams and may limit you to low-resolution video. To ensure you get the best possible experience, we perform regular VPN speed tests and only recommend services with better than average speeds.
- Ease of use: We only recommend services that are suitable for complete beginners, and which offer apps for a wide range of operating systems. Ideally, they’d allow a high (or unlimited) number of simultaneous connections too.
- Value for money: Not every VPN is worth what it costs. We assess each service’s functionality and real-world potential to make sure that every VPN we recommend is priced fairly.
- Security and privacy: We prioritize VPNs with powerful security tools like stealth modes, kill switches, and leak protection. Powerful encryption is non-negotiable, as is a no-logging policy.
These are actually only a small number of the tests we perform. For more information, check out our full VPN testing methodology.
Streaming HRT from abroad: FAQs
Can I unblock HRT outside of Croatia with a free VPN?
Free VPNs can seem appealing at first but scratch below the surface and there are several major issues that prevent us from recommending them. To begin with, very few free VPNs have Croatian servers because it’s a fairly low-demand location compared to somewhere like the US. Even assuming you find a free server in Croatia, HRT, being one of the country’s biggest streaming services, will likely already have blacklisted it. Further, there’s no guarantee your speeds will be high enough to actually watch anything.
The issues above are fairly minor annoyances, but choosing the wrong free VPN can quickly cause real problems. For instance, you might inadvertently install one of the many Trojans simply looking to infect your device with malware. Alternatively, as 18% of surveyed “VPNs” never encrypted user traffic, you could be browsing the web without realizing that you have no security whatsoever. To protect yourself as much as possible, we recommend making price just one factor of your decision, rather than the only thing you consider when choosing a VPN.
What can I watch on HRT?
HRT’s website and app allow you to stream eight TV channels and nine radio stations free of charge. Users can also watch a huge range of on-demand content, and we’ve listed some of the most popular titles below:
- Number 55
- Agenda: World
- The good spirit of Zagreb
- Euro 2020
- Da Sam Ja Netko
- Klub 7
- Kod nas Doma
- Svaki Dan Dobar Dan
- Žene, Povjerljivo!