Like most other streaming services, Lemino is geo-restricted. Normally, if you try to access it from outside of Japan, you’ll see a blank screen or an error that reads:
“エラー お客様のネットワークは国外からのアクセスとして 判定されているためLeminoをご視聴できません”. Loosely translated, this says “You cannot watc Lemino because your network is marked as being accessed from outside the country”.
By connecting to a Virtual Private Network (VPN), you can change your IP address and make Lemino think that you’re still at home in Japan. This allows you to watch like you normally would, even if you’re in the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, or Europe.
Did you know that VPNs are good for more than just streaming? Their encryption prevents wireless hotspot owners from monitoring your activities, stops service providers from throttling certain types of data, and prevents most man-in-the-middle attacks outright. In other words, a VPN is a fantastic tool, especially if you travel a lot.
Without further ado, here are our favorite VPNs for streaming Lemino. Want to learn a little more? Just scroll down to find a more detailed review of each!
Best VPNs for Lemino
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Lemino. Quick, easy-to-use, and security-conscious. Works with a huge range of streaming services and comes with a risk-free money-back guarantee. TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Lemino.
- Surfshark: Our budget pick for using Lemino securely. Zero-logs provider that’s more than fast enough for live streaming. Offers 24/7 support and doesn’t impose any connection limits.
- ExpressVPN: Speedy, versatile, and great for streaming. Good set of security features. Works almost anywhere in the world and offers custom firmware for an easier router installation.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Lemino with no restrictions for a month. In short, it’s perfect for travelers looking to stay caught up on their favorite shows while abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Our criteria for the best Lemino VPNs
Not every VPN works with Lemino. It has particularly strong VPN-detection features. To complicate things further, some VPNs are simply too slow or lack the critical security features required to keep you safe. With this in mind, our expert team decided to only recommend services that met all of the criteria below:
- Quick and reliable servers in Japan
- Powerful security and privacy features including a no-logs policy
- The ability to access Lemino and similar platforms from anywhere
- Apps for all major platforms
- Live chat-based customer support
Best VPNs for Lemino outside of Japan – Our hands-on review
Below, we have compared the most important features of the top VPNs for Lemino. Prefer to read in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Lemino.
|Lemino, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube
|Lemino, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube
|Lemino, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu
|Avg Speed (Mbps)
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers
|Best deal (per month)
SAVE 67% on a 2 yr plan + gifts
Save 79% + Get 2 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
Best VPNs for Lemino
Let’s begin with a closer look at our first choice for Lemino, NordVPN:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is the best provider for Lemino. We did have to try a few servers before we found one capable of accessing this platform, but on the plus side, we got very high speeds. Additionally, NordVPN works with other popular streaming sites including Netflix JP, NHK, and Amazon Prime Video. Users can protect up to six devices simultaneously and get help day or night using the 24/7 live chat service.
This service has a ton of privacy features built-in. Straight off the bat, there’s uncrackable 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, and leak protection, as well as automatic ad and tracker-blocking. That’s not all, though: NordVPN’s obfuscated servers can beat the world’s strictest digital censorship. This service doesn’t keep any logs, and we know that because it regularly publishes the results of third-party audits.
NordVPN has its own Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Linux apps. If you’d prefer, it can also be manually installed on most routers.
- One of the quickest on the market
- Puts your privacy and security first
- Excels at beating regional restrictions
- Free 24/7 support over live chat
- Works almost anywhere
- Not every server works with Lemino
BEST VPN FOR Lemino:NordVPN is our top choice for Lemino. It delivers top-tier speed and security, and it works with almost every streaming service you can think of. Support is available around the clock, and there’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Find out more in our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget option for watching Lemino and similar platforms abroad. It has servers in 100 countries including Japan, and delivers exceptionally fast speeds (nearly 200 Mbps in our latest testing). It’s one of the few services that lets you connect all of your devices at once. Users are never more than a few minutes away from getting help with support staff available 24/7 over live chat.
Although this VPN does have built-in ad and tracker-blocking, the feature prevented us from using Lemino. Just deactivate this (VPN Settings > CleanWeb) and you should be fine. Still, you can take advantage of its 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and kill switch to stop anyone from seeing what you get up to online. For even greater privacy, you can choose to rotate your IP address periodically, connect to one of its multi-hop servers, or turn on the stealth mode that hides the fact that you’re using a VPN at all. Surfshark is a no-logs provider and has been audited to prove it.
Surfshark provides apps for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS. It works with most popular router firmware too, in case you’d like to secure devices without full VPN support.
- Lots of server locations
- First-class performance
- Works with most streaming services including Lemino
- Nice and affordable
- No connection limit
- Can’t stream Lemino with ad-blocking active
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our favorite low-cost VPN. Thanks to its high speeds, strong security focus, and unparalleled unblocking ability, it’s a great choice for Lemino. All plans include 24/7 customer support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Check out our complete Surfshark review for more info.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is another fantastic choice for watching Lemino abroad. In fact, it works with a huge range of geo-blocked platforms including Netflix, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime Video. There are reliable servers in 105 countries, and these are all more than fast enough for uninterrupted streaming. Staff are happy to help at any time over live chat, and in our experience, you’ll almost always get a response in seconds. Express recently increased its connection limit to eight devices, so it’s a better value than ever.
This provider makes securing your connection as easy as possible. It uses 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection by default while blocking ads, phishing sites, and trackers in the background. Additionally, it automatically obfuscates your connection when needed (for instance, when it realizes you’re in a country that blocks VPNs). ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable data, has been independently-audited, and accepts Bitcoin, allowing you to sign up anonymously.
ExpressVPN apps are available for iOS, Android, Linux, Mac, and Windows. Custom router firmware simplifies the process of securing games consoles and Smart TVs.
- Worked with Lemino first time
- Easy enough for novices to use
- Consistently high speeds
- Solid security toolkit
- Doesn’t allow as much customization as some rivals
BEGINNER-FRIENDLY:ExpressVPN is another excellent option for Lemino. It has a vast server network, a good set of privacy features, and strong speeds, plus around-the-clock support. A strong choice for any day-to-day task. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Still have questions? Find answers in our in-depth ExpressVPN review.
How to securely stream Lemino abroad using a VPN
VPNs can seem a little intimidating if you’ve never used one before. The good news is that getting set up is actually quite straightforward. Just follow these simple steps and you’ll be using Lemino in no time:
- Start by choosing one of the VPNs above (we recommend NordVPN)
- Install the VPN app onto any device you use regularly. Most providers allow at least five simultaneous connections, so don’t worry if there are a few
- Log in and select a server in Japan. This will give you a Japanese IP address, preventing Lemino from realizing you’re actually somewhere else entirely
- Now, visit Lemino and try watching something. Most of the time, your video should play immediately, with no issues. That said, we’ve always found many common problems can be resolved by clearing your cookies or switching servers.
- Still not able to access Lemino? We’d suggest deactivating tracker-blocking, stealth modes, or other advanced connection features. Failing that, reach out to your VPN’s support team – they’ll be able to tell you if there’s a server that works and provide guidance on how to resolve any technical issues that might be causing your problem.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Lemino
There are hundreds of VPNs out there and more arriving every week. However, not all of them are suitable for streaming Lemino abroad. To ensure you get a service that can handle this (and whatever else you throw at it), our team of experts created a set of strict must-have criteria. Here’s a brief overview of what we looked for:
- Japanese servers: Lemino is geo-blocked, and as such, these are required to watch it abroad. Ideally, they’d be spread across multiple cities so that you can use whichever is closest, and we also like to see lots of other countries supported.
- Fast speeds: There’s no excuse for a slow VPN these days. We regularly perform hundreds of VPN speed tests to see which are the fastest, most reliable providers on the market.
- Versatility: Streaming Lemino is a great start but your VPN also has to be able to handle other day-to-day activities like gaming, making video calls, and torrenting. This way, you’ll never have to browse the web unprotected, and don’t run the risk of forgetting to reactivate the VPN when you’re done.
- Security and privacy: At a minimum, we require providers to prevent IPv6 and DNS leaks, offer uncrackable encryption, and include a kill switch. That said, we prefer those that include more advanced tools like stealth modes, multi-hop servers, and split tunneling.
- User-friendliness: You shouldn’t have to be an expert to use the internet securely. We prioritize VPNs with apps for all platforms, live chat-based customer support, and unlimited connections, but anything that lowers the bar to entry is a huge bonus.
- Pricing: We’ve seen a lot of providers, so it’s immediately obvious when one is overcharging. Not only are all of our top VPNs fairly-priced, they all offer money-back guarantees, long-term discounts, and seasonal promotions to cut the cost even further.
This is just one aspect of how we put providers through their paces. To learn more, take a look at our VPN testing methodology post, which breaks down our entire process from start to finish.
Streaming Lemino abroad: Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get into trouble for using a VPN?
VPNs are completely legal in most countries, and even in places like China, they’re not banned outright. Instead, you’ll just be limited to certain (usually state-approved) providers. In other words, the only reason you’d get into trouble is if you used the VPN to do something illegal, like download copyrighted material, harass someone, send spam, or access prohibited content.
Disclaimer: Although we’ve spent hours researching this topic, we are not legal experts. As such, nothing we’ve said above should be taken as legal advice. We encourage you to consult local laws or perhaps even seek a professional’s opinion before attempting to use a VPN if there’s any doubt as to whether they’re legal.
Which free VPNs are best for streaming?
We don’t recommend using free VPNs for anything unless you absolutely have to, and they’re a particularly poor choice for streaming. Most impose strict bandwidth and speed limits unless you pay up, and often only have a handful of server locations to choose from. Further, because free providers tend to have smaller networks, they’re easier to blacklist and struggle to access popular streaming platforms.
There are privacy issues to consider too. For instance, free VPNs are less likely to stand up for your rights in the face of legal threats or government interference, and we’ve even seen some inadvertently leak their own logs online. To avoid this, we strongly suggest looking into reputable paid providers, many of which include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
What can I watch on Lemino?
Lemino features all kinds of content, from anime to Japanese drama and everything in between. Whether you’re looking to stream J-League soccer, boxing, golf, or the M-1 Grand Prix Comedy contest, you’re in the right place. Here are a few of the most popular titles on Lemino:
- Jujutsu Kaisen
- Spy X Family
- ウソ婚 (Fake Marriage)
- きのう何食べた？(What did you eat yesterday?)
- Produce 101 Japan
- The Mission: Tokyo Games Stadium
- Osaka Pro Wrestling
- ドクターホワイト (Doctor White)
- 日向坂になりましょう (Let’s become Hinatazaka)]
- ペントハウス (Penthouse)