Want to watch YouTube TV while in Canada? You’ll need the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN). We explain how to watch YouTube TV online from anywhere, even if you are currently traveling abroad.
YouTube TV only has the rights to show its content in the US, and checks each visitor’s IP address to make sure they’re not trying to watch from anywhere else. That’s why Americans traveling in other countries will be greeted by one of two errors when they try to use the service: either “It looks like you’re outside of the United States. YouTube TV is only available in the US” or “Sorry, but YouTube TV is not available in your area just yet”.
This kind of regional restriction isn’t foolproof, though. For instance, VPNs let you change your IP address and appear as though you’re browsing the web from another country. This allows Americans to regain access to their usual services (like YouTube TV) while traveling. And, as VPNs encrypt your internet traffic, your online activities will remain hidden from your ISP, hackers, and the owner of any public wi-fi hotspot you might use.
How to watch YouTube TV from abroad with a VPN
VPNs might sound a little complicated, but they’re actually quite straightforward to use. Just follow these steps and you’ll be streaming YouTube TV in no time.
Here’s how to watch YouTube TV in Canada:
- Start by deciding which VPN you’d like to use. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Next, download the VPN app onto the device you’d like to use for streaming. It’s fine if there are a few, since most VPNs allow at least five simultaneous connections.
- Select a server in the US. If you’re not sure which location to use, New York and Los Angeles are usually safe bets—just choose whichever is closer.
- Log into YouTube TV and try watching something. Your stream should begin right away, with no errors. Still having problems? Clear your cookies and cache, or failing that, ask your VPN’s support team for more assistance.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for YouTube TV, free from any restrictions, for a month. Needless to say, this is perfect if you’re looking to stream movies and TV shows during a trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
It’s not easy finding a VPN that’s suitable for streaming YouTube TV. Because this service is only available in one country, there are several factors we have to consider, including server distribution, performance, and cloaking ability. What’s more, if you intend to use a VPN regularly, you’ll need one that can handle all the other things you do online as well. We go into more detail on our testing process below but for now, here’s what we looked out for when finding the best VPNs for YouTube TV:
- Must have a good number of servers in the US
- Provides speeds that are high enough for HD live streaming
- Can reliably access YouTube TV and other popular streaming services abroad
- Keeps you safe with powerful encryption and plenty of other security features
- Doesn’t store any personally identifiable information
- Comes with apps for all major operating systems
Just want the quick version? Take a look below for an at-a-glance guide to the best VPNs for YouTube TV. If you see any that interest you, keep scrolling for a more detailed review of each.
Best VPNs for watching YouTube TV
- NordVPN: Our first choice for streaming YouTube TV abroad. An extremely quick and reliable service with top-tier security and a verified no-logs policy. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN for YouTube TV. Allows any number of connections and comes packed with security and privacy features. Currently #1 for speed.
- ExpressVPN: A particularly adaptable VPN with impressive speeds and the ability to access YouTube TV from anywhere. Values your privacy and offers its own Smart DNS service.
- CyberGhost: An excellent choice for novice users. Boasts pre-configured security tools, steady speeds, and dedicated servers for unblocking YouTube TV as you travel.
- IPVanish: This provider has no connection limit and works well with YouTube TV. With a zero-logs policy and an impressive array of security features, it’s easy to stream safely.
- PrivateVPN: One of the best on the market for watching TV. Works with most platforms, provides impressive speeds, and leads the industry as far as privacy is concerned.
- Hotspot Shield: This VPN is quick and easy to use, with specialized servers for watching US TV abroad. What’s more, it has solid speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and a great security offering.
The best VPNs for YouTube TV
Let’s begin by taking a closer look at each of our recommended VPNs:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top pick for anyone hoping to watch YouTube TV outside of the US. To begin with, it’s one of the fastest services we’ve seen and offers access to nearly 2,000 American servers, which makes it perfect for HD live streaming. Additionally, it works with a huge range of platforms including Netflix, Disney+, and HBO Max, so you’ll never be short of something to watch. A maximum of six devices can be connected simultaneously.
This provider has a real focus on security. As well as its own NordLynx protocol (which is based on WireGuard), its apps include a kill switch, protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks, and 256-bit AES encryption. There are even obfuscated servers that let you browse without restriction in countries like China. NordVPN doesn’t keep any logs, a fact that was recently confirmed by independent auditors. Customer support is provided over email and live chat—staff are on-hand 24/7, meaning you’re only ever a few minutes away from getting help.
NordVPN has dedicated apps for Linux, iOS, MacOS, Android, and Windows. Alternatively, users can follow manual setup instructions to get this VPN running on supported home routers. This will allow you to secure any device that connects to your network.
- One of the fastest services around
- Excellent for streaming
- Fantastic security offering
- True no-logs policy
- The only VPN in this list that takes two clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN FOR YOUTUBE TV:NordVPN is our first choice. It’s fast, reliable, and able to unblock YouTube TV from anywhere in the world. Better still, it goes above and beyond to ensure your privacy. This provider even offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the complete NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top pick for those on a budget. In our latest testing, it delivered an average speed of over 200 Mbps (on a 1 Gbps connection), placing it firmly in first place. What’s more, this VPN works well with YouTube TV, Netflix, and Peacock, among a long list of other services. Still not impressed? What if we told you it’s one of the only major VPNs that has scrapped connection limits entirely? In other words, you can secure all of your devices with one account.
Surfshark users can install apps for MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. It’s also possible to manually configure this service for use on supported wireless routers.
- Extremely fast
- A great choice for watching TV
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- Secure all of your devices at once
- Settings menu is a little difficult to navigate
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our top budget VPN. Despite this, it’s able to compete with more expensive rivals on speed, security, usability, and streaming potential. Given that there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee, you have nothing to lose by giving this rising star a try.
Why not check out our in-depth Surfshark review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has around 3,000 servers in 94 countries including the US. As such, it’s a strong choice for watching TV from back home as you travel. Your subscription also includes access to its MediaStreamer Smart DNS service, which can help you watch YouTube TV on devices that don’t natively support VPNs, such as games consoles. With outstanding speeds and unlimited bandwidth, you’ll be able to stream as much as you like, in the best quality possible.
This VPN’s apps offer all kinds of security features, including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (named Network Lock), and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. You can choose specific apps to bypass the VPN too, which is handy if you want to use local services while watching TV from back home. ExpressVPN follows a strict no-logs policy and offers around-the-clock support over both email and live chat.
ExpressVPN has easy to use apps for Android, Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Linux. It’s also the only provider in this list with its own router firmware. This was overhauled recently and as a result, it now boasts better performance and higher speeds.
- Provides very high speeds
- Great range of security options
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly more expensive than some other options
EXTREMELY HIGH SPEEDS:ExpressVPN is a fantastic general-purpose service. It’s able to easily unblock YouTube TV abroad, includes a strong set of security features, and has one of the largest networks around. Not only that, but its plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Find out more in our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 1,000 US servers, as well as some that are designed to help you securely access YouTube TV, Netflix, and HBO Max while traveling. It’s a pretty speedy service with unlimited bandwidth, so you shouldn’t have any issues with live streaming, provided your base connection is fast enough. This VPN permits up to seven simultaneous connections, which is a little more than the industry average.
Users can take advantage of CyberGhost’s always-on kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and leak protection to ensure their browsing habits remain private. There’s also an automatic ad-blocker and malware-scanner built in, but if that’s still not enough, you can always try out the service’s new standalone security suite for Windows. It’s worth noting that CyberGhost doesn’t log any data that could be used to identify you. In the unlikely event that you have any problems, support staff are on-hand over live chat and email.
CyberGhost has apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. If you’d prefer, you can manually install this VPN on select home routers.
- Servers specifically designed for safe streaming
- All security features enabled by default
- User-friendly apps with 24/7 support
- Experienced users may be disappointed by the lack of advanced functionality
SAFE STREAMING ANYWHERE:CyberGhost has an array of servers specially optimized to help you access platforms like YouTube TV abroad. Further, it’s quick, user-friendly, and security-conscious. There’s also a 45-day money-back guarantee in case you’re still unsure.
Have questions? You’ll find answers in our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has around 1,900 servers in 60+ countries worldwide, with roughly half of these located in the US. As such, it’s a strong choice for streaming YouTube TV, Hulu, and more while traveling abroad. With steady speeds, no bandwidth limits to speak of, and torrenting allowed on every server, this is an extremely versatile VPN with plenty to offer. In fact, other than Surfshark, it’s the only one in this list that allows you to connect as many devices as you like.
Security is one of the areas where IPVanish really excels. Its apps include 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch, as well as the ability to scramble your OpenVPN traffic and potentially access services that block VPN users outright. Further, this VPN can reconnect automatically and recently added WireGuard support. IPVanish is a zero-logs provider that boasts 24/7 live chat-based customer support.
IPVanish apps are available for MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. Linux systems are supported too, as are select routers, but you’ll have to configure the VPN for these manually.
- Fast enough for flawless HD streaming
- Punches above its weight on security
- Zero-logs VPN with no connection limit
- Struggles with larger streaming platforms
PRIVACY FIRST:IPVanish lets you connect all of your devices simultaneously. As it’s strong on security and privacy, you’re free to browse or stream safely wherever you go. This speedy provider keeps no logs and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on its one-year plan.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network, with roughly 200 servers in 63 countries including the US. However, it has consistently proven capable of delivering top-tier speeds, and works reliably with Netflix, YouTube TV, and Sling TV to name but a few services. Users can connect up to six devices at any one time and torrenting is permitted on any server. In short, PrivateVPN is a strong choice whether you’re looking to stream, browse safely, or use P2P networks in Canada.
This provider leads the pack when it comes to privacy. That’s because it recently began acting as its own server host and ISP, which means that no other company has access to your internet traffic at any point. Further, it follows a true no-logs policy, plus its apps include a customizable kill switch, 256-bit encryption, stealth mode, and leak protection. Live chat is available most of the time, but does go offline for a couple of hours each day.
PrivateVPN has its own Android, Windows, iOS, and MacOS apps. This VPN works with Linux systems and a wide range of routers, although these require manual installation.
- Delivered impressive speeds during testing
- Fantastic for streaming
- Puts your privacy and security above all else
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Limited server choice
PRIVACY GUARANTEED:PrivateVPN does everything it can to ensure that nobody (even it) can see what you do online. Additionally, it boasts fast and reliable connections, plus the ability to access YouTube TV outside of the US. There’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why not take a look at our comprehensive PrivateVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield users can choose from around 1,800 servers in 60+ countries. Interestingly, this provider has specific servers for streaming US-only services like YouTube TV, Netflix, and Hulu. As a result, there’s no need to rely on trial and error to find one that works. Better still, with decent speeds and no bandwidth limits, you’re free to watch as often as you like. Hotspot Shield permits a maximum of five simultaneous connections.
There are all kinds of security features built in too. These include a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and 256-bit encryption, plus automatic wi-fi protection (which turns on the VPN any time you use an unsecured network). Newer versions of the app also allow you to switch between IKEv2 and Catapult Hydra protocols. Hotspot Shield deletes all personally identifiable data when your session ends. Need help? Just reach out to the customer support team over email or live chat; both are available 24/7.
Hotspot Shield comes with apps for MacOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux. Manual configuration is required to get this VPN running on a supported router.
- Offers US streaming servers
- Great everyday VPN
- Doesn’t compromise on security
- Had past privacy issues
DEDICATED TV SERVERS:Hotspot Shield has specific servers for streaming platforms like YouTube TV abroad. Not only that, but it offers high-speeds, user-friendly apps, and a solid set of security tools. Best of all, this VPN comes with a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our in-depth Hotspot Shield review.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for YouTube TV
Because not every VPN will work properly with YouTube TV, it’s important for us to carefully consider which ones we recommend. Of course, we’re also trying to make sure your chosen service is able to handle all the other things you might do online. To this end, we put together a list of must-have features, and you can find these below:
- US servers: These are required to access YouTube TV from abroad. Ideally, there’d be lots to choose from, scattered across several different cities and states
- Fast speeds: No matter what, every VPN will reduce your internet speeds. Still, there can be a huge difference in the impact two competing VPNs have. We only recommend those that perform well in our VPN speed tests
- Streaming ability: YouTube TV isn’t the only US service that’s unavailable abroad. That’s why we check whether a VPN can securely access other streaming platforms like Hulu, HBO Max, and Netflix US
- Security and privacy: It’s not enough to be able to watch YouTube TV—you also have to be able to do so safely. That’s why we won’t endorse any VPN that doesn’t at least include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, leak protection, and a no-logs policy
- Value: We regularly compare VPNs to similarly-priced competitors to make sure that they’re not charging more than they’re worth. As part of this, we also consider the length of any money-back guarantees, and the discounts available to long-term subscribers
- Ease of use: The VPNs we recommend must be easy enough for a complete beginner to use. We also look out for other quality-of-life features like multi-platform support, the removal of connection limits, or 24/7 support
This is actually only a very small part of a larger testing methodology. If you’d like to find out more, we’ve actually written a post outlining our full VPN testing process.
Streaming YouTube TV outside of the US: FAQs
Can I watch YouTube TV with a free VPN?
The chances of you being able to access YouTube TV with a free VPN are vanishingly small. These providers usually only have a handful of servers, and because there’s so much traffic coming from them, it’s likely YouTube TV has already blacklisted them. Even if you find one that works, you’ll probably have to contend with slow speeds and a low monthly bandwidth limit. Essentially, free VPNs force you to compromise on video quality, server speeds, and how much you watch, which just isn’t good enough.
To make matters worse, free VPNs often aren’t as secure as they claim. A 2017 study on this subject found several apps with millions of downloads that either leaked personal information or failed to ever encrypt user data in the first place. To keep yourself as safe as possible when streaming, we recommend avoiding free VPNs entirely, or at the very least, looking into a provider’s logging policy, reputation, and security tools before deciding to use it.
Can I watch YouTube TV for free?
Yes… sort of. YouTube TV includes a two-day free trial period, during which time you’ll be able to use the service as much as you like for free. However, after this, you’ll be charged $54.99 (GDP £40.11) per month for the first three months and $64.99 (GDP £47.41) each month afterward.
What channels are on YouTube TV?
YouTube TV actually allows you to watch more than 85 different TV channels. There are some regional differences, though. For instance, users in Los Angeles can stream The CW while those in New York have access to PIX 11. Here’s a brief rundown of some of YouTube TV’s most popular networks:
- Cartoon Network