If you’re reading this, it’s likely because you’ve realized that your favorite Indonesian TV channels aren’t available in other countries. Unfortunately, this kind of region-locking is becoming increasingly common since streaming services have to navigate complex international licensing deals. There is a workaround, though: since most platforms rely on your IP address to find your location, you can gain access to your home services simply by using a VPN.
When you connect to a VPN, all of your internet traffic is encrypted and sent through a server in another part of the world. This not only prevents anyone from seeing what you get up to online, but it also replaces your IP address with that of the server you chose. In other words, if you use an Indonesian server, you’ll get an Indonesian IP address, and will be able to watch Indonesian TV.
Below, you’ll find a quick guide to the best VPNs for live streaming Indonesian TV. If any stand out to you, just scroll down for a more in-depth review of each.
Best VPNs for watching Indonesian TV:
- ExpressVPN: Our #1 VPN for watching Indonesian TV abroad. Quick, reliable, and security-conscious, it’s great for streaming, torrenting, or browsing privately. Also includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN: The best way to stream Indonesian TV on a budget. Boasts great unblocking ability, a suite of advanced security features, a no-logs policy, and thousands of speedy servers.
- Surfshark: A fast and versatile VPN that’s great for live streaming. Unblocks ANTV, Netflix, and more with ease. Also has strong security credentials, a no-logs policy, and no connection limits.
- CyberGhost: This beginner-friendly service provides very fast speeds, a great range of security features, and the ability to unblock Indonesian TV channels like GTV from anywhere.
- PrivateVPN: Blazing fast speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and strong unblocking ability make this a natural choice for streaming. Also, keeps no logs and comes packed with security features.
- Hotspot Shield: Easily unblocks TV channels from Indonesia, and includes all of the tools needed to stream or browse anonymously. Further, its fast speeds make for lag-free viewing.
- VyprVPN: A veteran provider with consistent speeds, solid unblocking potential, and a major focus on user security. Keeps no logs and unblocks many popular geo-blocked services abroad.
If you’re looking for a VPN you can use while you are actually in Indonesia then take a look at our dedicated article on the Best VPNs for Indonesia.
How to unblock Indonesian TV channels from abroad
The good news is that it’s easier than you might think to unblock and watch TV channels from Indonesia while on vacation.
Here’s how to watch Indonesian TV online from anywhere:
- Start by signing up for one of the VPNs below (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Next, install the VPN app onto any device you’d like to watch TV on. Usually, you’ll be allowed five or so connections at the same time, but this varies between providers.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to an Indonesian server, to get an Indonesian IP address.
- Try accessing your desired channel again. You should find that the stream loads immediately. If not, clear your browser’s cookies and refresh the page. For further assistance, contact your VPN’s customer support team.
TRY IT FOR FREE: There’s no need to commit to a long-term plan if you only need a VPN for a few weeks. Instead, you can make use of ExpressVPN’s risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. While an upfront payment is required, you can cancel at any point, for any reason during this time to receive a full refund.
Which Indonesian TV channels can you stream online?
Indonesian audiences have plenty of options when it comes to watching TV online, with most of the country’s major networks offering free-to-watch live streams. In most cases, users don’t even have to create an account! Here are a few of the Indonesian channels you can watch online:
- Trans TV
Choosing the best VPNs for Indonesian TV
Choosing your first VPN can quickly become overwhelming due to the sheer number of services vying for your attention. Don’t be swayed by providers that claim to be the fastest or the most secure, however: it’s usually better to choose a well-rounded service since you’re less likely to run into a situation it can’t handle. This is why all of our recommended VPNs meet these criteria:
- Offers plenty of servers with at least one in Indonesia
- Provides fast enough speeds for flawless live streaming
- Is capable of unblocking major Indonesian streaming services from abroad
- Keeps you safe with a wide range of advanced security features
- Does not log any personally identifiable data
- Comes with apps for all major operating systems
Best VPNs for watching Indonesian TV abroad
Let’s dive right in and take a closer look at each of the best VPNs for Indonesian TV:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, Indonesia included. Part of the reason this service is so popular is that it provides fast, reliable speeds and easily unblocks stubborn platforms like Netflix — in other words, you shouldn’t have any issues watching Indosiar abroad. Up to five simultaneous connections are allowed, so it’s great for protecting all of your devices.
This service uses 256-bit encryption, DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, and a kill switch to hide your activities from prying eyes. It also allows you to pay in Bitcoin for an extra layer of anonymity. ExpressVPN doesn’t store any data that could be used to identify you, meaning your privacy is all but guaranteed. If you run into problems, you can reach the 24/7 help desk over live chat.
ExpressVPN provides apps for iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows, and Linux devices. It also offers custom firmware for routers to help you secure all of your devices at once.
- Offers speedy servers and unlimited bandwidth
- Unblocks all kinds of Indonesian services
- Best in class security and privacy
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly higher cost than others
BEST VPN FOR INDONESIAN TV:ExpressVPN is our first choice for watching Indonesian TV thanks to its consistently high speeds, great unblocking ability, and strong focus on user security. What’s more, this service offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more by reading our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN provides access to over a dozen speedy Indonesian servers, and 5,300 others in a further 58 countries. It excels at bypassing tricky regional restrictions and reliably unblocks Netflix US, ANTV, and SCTV from abroad. Better still, with steady speeds and up to six connections allowed at once, you can stream in the highest possible quality, wherever you are.
Security is one of NordVPN’s strongest aspects. It comes with automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, as well as 256-bit encryption and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. There’s also a customizable kill switch that stops sending data if your connection drops suddenly, and obfuscated servers for beating especially strict geo-blocking. NordVPN follows a true no-logging policy. Support staff are on-hand 24/7 over email and live chat.
NordVPN apps are available for MacOS, iOS, Windows, Android, and Linux. Additionally, users have the option of securing their whole network by manually installing the VPN on select routers.
- Over a dozen high-speed Indonesian servers
- Unblocks most popular geo-locked streaming services
- Zero logs VPN with top-notch security
- Accepts three cryptocurrencies
- Desktop app is a little clunky
BEST BUDGET OPTION:NordVPN is a great option for anyone looking to stream TV from Indonesia without breaking the bank. This low-cost service manages to provide steady speeds without compromising on security, and also includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why not check out the complete NordVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has 1,700+ servers in 63 countries (including Indonesia), making it ideal for unblocking geo-restricted streaming platforms. Further, it offers unlimited bandwidth and provides stable speeds that are more than fast enough for lag-free streaming. While many other providers limit the number of devices you can connect at once, Surfshark has no such restrictions and as such, is a great choice for anyone looking to protect an entire household.
This VPN comes with all kinds of security features built in. There’s effectively uncrackable 256-bit encryption, for starters, plus DNS and IPv6 leak protection, ad-blocking, malware-scanning, and a kill switch. Additionally, it offers a NoBorders mode for bypassing country-wide censorship. Surfshark doesn’t keep any logs and accepts three different cryptocurrencies. Live chat-based support is available around the clock.
Surfshark offers powerful iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux apps. If you’d prefer, it can also be manually installed on supported internet routers.
- Speedy servers that are perfect for live streaming
- Excellent unblocking ability
- Powerful security features and a zero-logs policy
- Some slow speeds
NO CONNECTION LIMITS:Surfshark lets you watch almost anything, almost anywhere thanks to its strong unblocking ability and lack of a connection limit. That’s not all, though: it also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and some of the most powerful security features around.
Questions? You’ll find answers in our in-depth Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has over 10 Indonesian servers, and 6,000 more in 88 other countries. With an impressive unblocking ability, high speeds, and unlimited bandwidth, this VPN removes every obstacle to watching Indonesian TV abroad. What’s more, it offers one-click unblocking for major international platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Users can secure up to seven devices simultaneously per account.
There’s very little setup required since all of CyberGhost’s security features are enabled by default. These include 256-bit encryption, ad-blocking, malware-scanning, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Equally important, CyberGhost refuses to log any personally identifiable data. This is a very user-friendly VPN, but if you’re having issues, you can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat or email.
CyberGhost has apps for Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux systems. Additionally, you can follow manual setup instructions to install it on a wireless router.
- Fast enough for lag-free streaming
- Designed with novices in mind
- Pre-configured security
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced features
COMPREHENSIVE SECURITY:CyberGhost makes it easy to watch Indonesian TV abroad. Further, it provides a wide range of security and privacy features, very high speeds, and a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of its rivals, with roughly 150 servers in 60 countries, but it offers exceptionally fast speeds. This, combined with its fantastic unblocking capabilities, mean that it’s ideal for live streaming TV from Indonesia while abroad. In fact, thanks to this VPN’s six-connection limit, you’ll even be able to watch on the go.
This provider uses a variety of cutting-edge security features to keep you safe online. First, there’s 256-bit encryption and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. Also, a customizable kill switch ensures you never inadvertently surf unprotected, and the toggleable stealth mode makes it easy to browse privately in countries with strict online censorship. PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs at all. Live chat-based support is available most of the time.
PrivateVPN users can install Linux, MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS apps. This service can also be manually configured for use with select home routers.
- Exceptionally high speeds
- Gaining a reputation for their growing list of sites they unblock
- Privacy and security are top-notch
- Fairly small network
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
FASTER THAN MOST:PrivateVPN is a very speedy service that’s perfect for data-intensive activities like streaming and torrenting. There’s a strict zero-logs policy and plenty of advanced security features too, so privacy is assured. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Check out the complete PrivateVPN review for more information.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield users have the choice of 3,200 servers in 80+ countries including Indonesia. As you might expect, this makes it a popular option for people who want to stream TV from back home while traveling. Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth allow you to stream as much as you like, free from stuttering or buffering. Five devices can be connected at once.
This service uses 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks to help keep you safe from prying eyes. There’s also automatic wifi protection, plus users can choose to let specific apps bypass the VPN. The latter is helpful, for example, if you want to watch Indonesian TV and have access to local services at the same time. This VPN doesn’t store any identifiable data once your session is over. Around-the-clock support is available via live chat.
Hotspot Shield offers user-friendly apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS devices. To use it with Linux systems and network routers, you can install it manually.
- Reliable speeds, unlimited bandwidth
- Easily unblocks a host of geo-restricted content abroad
- Good range of security settings
- No anonymous payment options
- Working to repair reputation after past privacy issues
QUICK AND RELIABLE:Hotspot Shield is ideal for everyday usage; it puts your security first, provides high speeds, and can unblock a huge number of region-locked services from abroad. Further, this VPN includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN has around 700 servers in 60+ countries, Indonesia included. This service is fast enough for uninterrupted HD live streaming, and it offers unlimited bandwidth, so you can watch as much as you like. Users have plenty of options too, since VyprVPN easily unblocks Netflix and BBC iPlayer, as well as a host of Indonesian TV channels.
This service offers plenty of security features. For instance, there’s 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and a feature that connects to the VPN automatically any time you use a public network. It also has its own proprietary protocol named Chameleon that helps users avoid censorship in countries like China. VyprVPN doesn’t keep any logs whatsoever. Live chat is available 24/7 in case you have any problems.
VyprVPN has apps for iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Android. It can be manually installed on Linux systems and supported routers.
- High-speed, self-owned servers
- Impressive unblocking capabilities
- No-logs VPN with lots of powerful security features
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
- Fewer servers than some others in this list
PRIVACY-FIRST VPN:VyprVPN boasts steady speeds, impressive unblocking abilities, and a wide range of security and privacy protections. What’s more, this no-logs VPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and even works in places like China.
Check out our comprehensive VyprVPN review.
Streaming Indonesian TV online: FAQs
⭐Can I stream Indonesian TV with a free VPN?
While it is technically possible to watch TV from Indonesia using a free VPN, we advise against doing so. These services usually aren’t particularly good at bypassing geographic restrictions to begin with, and because of their limited network sizes, it’s very easy for streaming platforms to identify and blacklist their servers. Additionally, having so few servers means that they’re usually operating at capacity, which leads to major network slowdown and stuttering, laggy video. It also means they likely won’t have an Indonesian server anyway.
Unfortunately, not all of these services are even safe to use. In fact, analysis of 200+ such apps found that over 37% contained malware. Perhaps even more concerning, a large proportion of the seemingly legitimate apps failed to encrypt user data. This means that browsing with the VPN was no safer than without. Depending on the user’s location, this isn’t just negligent of the app’s creators, it’s potentially very dangerous. To stay safe online, it’s best to use a reputable no-logs VPN instead.
⭐Is it illegal to unblock streaming services with a VPN?
⭐What can I do with an Indonesian IP address?
There are all kinds of reasons you might need an Indonesian IP address. For instance, you might want to access your usual websites while traveling abroad. You may just want to log into your Bank Mandiri, BRI, or BTN online banking service abroad without being mistakenly flagged as a foreign hacker.
Changing your IP address has major security benefits too, since it helps separate you from your online activities. As VPNs encrypt your traffic, they’re an invaluable tool for those who use public wifi often. Normally, an attacker would be able to see all of the information flowing through a public hotspot, including the sites you’re visiting and potentially even your login credentials. However, if you’re connected to a VPN, your data will be completely unreadable.
- 1 How to unblock Indonesian TV channels from abroad
- 2 Which Indonesian TV channels can you stream online?
- 3 Choosing the best VPNs for Indonesian TV
- 4 Best VPNs for watching Indonesian TV abroad
- 5 1. ExpressVPN
- 6 2. NordVPN
- 7 3. Surfshark
- 8 4. CyberGhost
- 9 5. PrivateVPN
- 10 6. Hotspot Shield
- 11 7. VyprVPN
- 12 Streaming Indonesian TV online: FAQs
- 13 Can I stream Indonesian TV with a free VPN?
- 14 Is it illegal to unblock streaming services with a VPN?
- 15 What can I do with an Indonesian IP address?