With a VPN, you can get an IP address for Indonesia or almost any other country from which you wish to browse. A VPN with servers in Indonesia allows you to access geo-restricted content from Indonesia. VPNs do this by encrypting your device’s internet traffic and re-routing it through their own servers.
Indonesia has a high level of online censorship with bans on most pornographic content and even some social media sites. Short for “Virtual Private Network”, a VPN lets you bypass such restrictions and provides you with a greater degree of online privacy by hiding your actual IP address and location.
How to get an IP address for Indonesia
Getting an IP address for Indonesia is quick and easy. In fact, it should only take a matter of minutes.
Here’s how to get an IP address for Indonesia:
- Sign up with a VPN service – we recommend NordVPN for an Indonesian IP address.
- Download and install the appropriate app or browser extension for your device.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in Indonesia.
- If your preferred content is still blocked, try clearing your browser’s cookies or connect to another Indonesian server, if available.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for an Indonesian IP address with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to access your favorite content while abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
If you’re keen to get an Indonesian IP address but don’t yet have time to read the full article, here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs:
Best VPNs for an IP address for Indonesia:
- NordVPN: Our #1 recommendation for getting an IP address for Indonesia. 5 servers in Indonesia and over 5,500 worldwide. Blazing fast and capable of accessing lots of platforms. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: An excellent VPN for the budget-conscious. A speedy service with servers in Indonesia and over 60 other countries. Strong security offering.
- ExpressVPN: Fast and reliable servers in Indonesia. Works with Netflix, Iflix, Viu, etc. 24/7 support and highly secure.
- CyberGhost: 8 servers in Indonesia for watching Iflix, FuboTV, and more. Use on up to 7 devices simultaneously. Security includes encryption and a no logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: A very fast VPN service with servers in Indonesia. Good for streaming Iflix and Fox Sports Asia. User-friendly apps and highly secure with encryption.
- VyprVPN: Fast and reliable VPN. Stream TV from Indonesia worldwide. A secure no-logs service with 24/7 customer support.
A number of factors should be considered when deciding on the best VPN to get an IP address for Indonesia. In particular, these include the quality and quantity of servers and the level of security offered.
We’ve taken all of these factors into account and come up with the five best VPNs based on our methodology which we discuss below our reviews.
The best VPN to get an IP address for Indonesia
Here’s our full rundown of the best VPNs for getting an IP address for Indonesia.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for an IP address for Indonesia. It has one of the largest networks of servers of any VPN with more than 5,500 in total, including five in Indonesia. With so many servers, it’s easy to securely access services from Indonesia including TV channels such as RCTI and Trans7. Indeed, NordVPN also works with a wide range of streaming services including Netflix, HOOQ and Fox Sports Asia. What’s more, this VPN pegs the fastest speeds we’ve seen.
There’s a great deal of flexibility with NordVPN. Not only are there many servers to choose from, but there’s also a wide range of apps and browser extensions on offer. Better still, you can use NordVPN on up to six of your devices at once. One issue to consider in Indonesia and many other countries is the risk of internet surveillance. NordVPN protects you with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It also has a no-logs policy as well as specialty servers for those seeking even greater online security.
NordVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- A ton of servers, 5 of which are in Indonesia
- Super high-speed connections for streaming TV shows and movies
- Use on up to 6 of your devices at once
- Wide range of apps and browser extensions
- Excellent overall security with specialty servers
- Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of users
- Switching connections can be a bit slow
BEST VPN FOR INDONESIA:NordVPN is our first choice. It has five servers in Indonesia and more than 5,000 worldwide. It’s blazing fast, has tight security, and works with Netflix, Iflix, HOOQ, and more. 30-day money-back guarantee for a risk-free deal.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a low-cost provider with a decent network of around 3,200 high-speed servers in 63 countries (including Indonesia). This service is known for its strong streaming potential, as it’s able to securely access platforms like Netflix with no issues whatsoever. However, its real standout feature is that it allows users to connect as many devices as they like.
This VPN has a wide range of features designed to keep you safe from snoopers like the Indonesian government. These include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a NoBorders option that allows you to bypass country-wide internet blocking. There’s also a one-click tool that automatically blocks ads and scans downloaded files for malware. Surfshark does not keep any logs and accepts cryptocurrency payments. Help is on-hand over live chat, 24/7, just in case.
Surfshark has apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. Alternatively, users can install it directly on their routers by following manual setup instructions.
- Solid speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Works with plenty of popular streaming sites
- Puts your privacy first
- No connection limit
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Some slower speeds recorded during testing
BEST FOR THE BUDGET:Surfshark offers high speeds, strong security features, and lack of a connection limit, making it easy to browse privately in Indonesia and other countries with strict online censorship. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included too.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers unlimited bandwidth and has over 3,000 VPN servers spread across 94 countries, including Indonesia. We’ve tested many of these servers ourselves and found them to be as reliable as they are high speed. This is particularly important when it comes to streaming Indonesian content. ExpressVPN unblocks plenty of streaming sites including Iflix and Viu to name a few.
This provider uses 256-bit AES encryption and offers DNS leak protection. Other key security features include a kill switch and split tunneling. Crucially, ExpressVPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands, a safe haven from intelligence alliances such as Five Eyes. What’s more, ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users.
Apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS and routers. A browser extension is available for Chrome and Firefox.
- Servers in 94 countries, including Indonesia
- Fast speeds for streaming Netflix, Iflix, Viu and more
- Variety of user-friendly apps and browser extensions
- Friendly live chat support available 24/7
- Lots of important security features including encryption
- Somewhat expensive compared to other VPNs
GREAT ALL-ROUNDER:ExpressVPN offers reliable servers in Indonesia and great for streaming Iflix and Fox Sports Asia. User-friendly and secure. You can try it with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has eight servers in Indonesia, more than most VPNs. You’ll have no trouble using a wide range of services from Indonesia. The speed and consistency of the servers means streaming Iflix, Vue and FuboTV is no trouble at all. Overall, CyberGhost has an impressive 3,500 servers, which means you’ll not only be able to get an IP address for Indonesia, but also for dozens of other countries. Combined with the 45-day money-back guarantee on offer, this is a great value VPN.
You can secure all of your devices with CyberGhost because it allows up to seven simultaneous connections. The apps are quick and easy to use, and 24/7 customer support is available should you need it. We’ve found CyberGhost to be one of the safest VPNs on the market. 256-bit AES encryption secures your data while you’re also protected from DNS leaks. An automatic kill switch and strict no-logs policy protects your personal information from everyone from your ISP to the government.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Manual setup is required for Linux and routers.
- 8 servers in Indonesia and 3,500+ worldwide
- Fast for streaming Iflix, Vue, FuboTV and more
- 45-day money-back guarantee (more than most VPNs)
- Use on up to 7 devices simultaneously
- Strong security with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- No app available for Linux
- Struggles with some streaming services
8 SERVERS IN INDONESIA:CyberGhost is fast for streaming Iflix, FuboTV, and more. Use it on up to seven devices at once. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is one of the fastest VPNs available, which makes it a great option for streaming your favorite Indonesian movies and TV shows. In fact, PrivateVPN is excellent at providing secure access to services including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer. PrivateVPN has approximately 200 servers in 63 countries, including Indonesia. Streaming is seamless and you’re unlikely to encounter lag or buffering. PrivateVPN lets you connect up to six devices simultaneously, all to unique IP addresses.
We’ve spent plenty of time testing PrivateVPN’s apps, which are available for desktop and mobile. The simple layout of the apps makes them ideal for beginners, though an advanced menu allows for fine-tuning if required. PrivateVPN will keep you secure online whether you’re in Indonesia or abroad. Secured with 256-bit AES encryption, ExpressVPN also offers DNS leak protection and a kill switch. A zero data logging policy means your personal information and browsing activity stays with you and you alone.
PrivateVPN is available via apps for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. Linux and routers require manual setup.
- Fast speeds for browsing and streaming
- Connect up to 6 devices at once
- Easy to use apps for desktop and mobile
- High level of security with 256-bit AES encryption
- Relatively small network of around 100 servers
- No apps for Linux or routers
HIGH SPEED STREAMING:PrivateVPN is a high-speed VPN with servers in Indonesia. Secure and easy to use but only has around 100 servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN lets you securely access Indonesian websites and services during your travels abroad With around 700 servers in dozens of countries around the world (including Indonesia), VyprVPN is another great option to consider. We were able to use VyprVPN to watch content from Indonesian TV channels such as MNCTV and SCTV and unblock streaming services including Fox Sports Asia and Genflix. Connections were fast and reliable with no downtime or notable dips in quality.
There’s plenty to like when it comes to the security offered by VyprVPN. In particular, it’s one of the few VPNs that has been independently audited to prove that it keeps no logs. What’s more, unlike many VPNs, VyprVPN owns and manages its own servers. Add to this the 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and kill switch, and VyprVPN is as secure as any VPN you’re likely to find. If you have any doubts about what VyprVPN can do, 24/7 support is available via email and live chat.
VyprVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS while Linux and routers require manual configuration.
- Servers are fast and connections consistent
- Ideal for streaming
- Excellent security with a no-logs policy
- On the pricey side
- Standard plan only allows up to 3 devices
TOP SECURITY:VyprVPN is a fast and reliable VPN service with servers in Indonesia. Excellent security with a no-logs policy but a little expensive. 3-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
VPN for Indonesian IP – testing methodology
If you need access to an IP address in Indonesia, it is vital that you subscribe to the right VPN service. There are hundreds of consumer-facing VPNs available online, and very few of them offer high levels of security, fast speeds, and servers in Indonesia.
At Comparitech, we use a carefully devised VPN testing methodology to check each of the world’s leading VPNs. This allows us to understand exactly how each service differs, so that we can recommend VPNs for various use cases – including to get an IP address in Indonesia.
Below we have included some of the important thing we looked for when picking the top VPNs for an Indonesian IP:
- A fast global server network: For a VPN to be useful, it must have plenty of servers to choose from. In this guide, we have recommended VPNs with servers in Indonesia to let you gain a real IP address there. However, we also picked VPNs with a wide choice of international servers so that you can bypass as many online restrictions as possible.
- Strong security features: Foremost, a VPN is designed to provide online privacy and security. Unfortunately, not all VPNs have the features and settings you need to be secure. We have recommended market-leading services with robust encryption, a no logs policy, and various other features such as a kill-switch.
- DNS leak protection: We tested each of the VPNs we recommended checking that they are providing a high level of privacy. To do this, we tested for IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks that would allow your ISP to detect your online habits. We also checked under the hood to see whether the VPN had DNS leak protection.
- Advanced apps for all platforms: We looked for VPNs that can be used on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android as well as routers, browsers, and other devices such as a smart TV or Firesticks. We also checked those apps for advanced features such as obfuscation, split tunneling, port forwarding, malware protection, and anything else that helps to use the internet more securely, whether at home or on public wi-fi.
- Excellent customer care: Being able to get help and ask questions is a massive benefit when you subscribe to a VPN. Our recommendations all have active support departments, with email and live chat support. They also have clear setup guides and FAQs to help you on their website.
- Value for money: We compared the features available against their cost to ensure that our recommendations are priced fairly. This ensures that you get a high-quality service with an IP address in Indonesia – at the best possible cost.
Are VPNs legal in Indonesia?
VPNs are legal in Indonesia. If you’re in Indonesia, we encourage you to use a VPN. That’s because internet censorship is prevalent in the country. An IP address for Indonesia can help you access government-restricted content as well as protect your own online privacy, preventing your ISP and the government from tracking you.
Why do I need an IP address for Indonesia?
If you want to securely access websites and services from Indonesia, you either need to be in Indonesia or use a VPN. In doing so, you’ll have an Indonesian IP address. The very best VPNs for Indonesia have servers all around the world, allowing you to obtain IP addresses from a wide range of countries including the US, UK, Australia and Japan.
Freedom House rates Indonesia’s internet freedom as only “partly free” with a score of 46/100 (0 being the most free and 100 the least). In particular, censorship of online content is prevalent with the blocking of social media platforms in an attempt to counter fake news, terrorism and pornography. What’s more, the Indonesian government launched Cyber Drone 9, an AI-driven crawler system designed to detect and flag content for blocking.
Apart from pornographic content, websites, services and apps that have been targeted for censorship include Netflix, Reddit, Vimeo, Telegram, Grindr and Tenor. ISPs in Indonesia are required to retain records of customer usage for at least 3 months, so a VPN can also protect your privacy.
How can I watch Indonesian TV abroad with a VPN?
If you want to watch Indonesian TV abroad, all you need to do is download a VPN and obtain an Indonesian IP address by connecting to a server in Indonesia. This will let you stream a host of content including RCTI, MNCTV, SCTV and Trans7. Indeed, an IP address from Indonesia will also let you watch popular streaming services from Southeast Asia such as Iflix, HOOQ, Genflix and Viu.
While there aren’t many options in terms of Indonesian sports streaming services, a VPN with servers in many countries in Southeast Asia and worldwide will allow you to use the likes of Fox Sports Asia, FuboTV, DAZN and ESPN.
Can I use a free VPN to get an IP address for Indonesia?
There aren’t many free VPNs with servers in Indonesia. Our research has found that the best VPNs have servers in dozens of countries all around the world. Even if you’re lucky enough to find a free VPN with a server or servers in Indonesia, chances are it’ll be slow. That’s because free VPNs attract a lot of users and the servers simply can’t handle the demand. Free VPNs attempt to solve this by restricting your bandwidth, making streaming difficult.
Speaking of streaming, the performance provided by free VPNs is usually poor with a lot of lag and buffering. In fact, many free VPNs simply won’t work with popular streaming platforms.
Many free VPNs log your data and sell it to third parties while others may carry malware. Aside from blocking content, Indonesia’s ISPs are also known to retain records of customer internet usage. As Indonesia is known to have a degree of internet censorship, a free VPN can’t guarantee your privacy. Use a free VPN at your own risk!