Due to content licensing agreements, most streaming services are only available in one or two countries. Unfortunately, this means that by going abroad on vacation, you could easily lose access to services you pay for. Luckily, by connecting to a Norwegian VPN server, you can spoof your location and trick services into thinking you’re still in Norway, regardless of where you really are.
So how does this all work? Simply put, geo-restricted websites can tell your location by looking at your IP address. When you use a VPN, however, only your server’s IP address is visible. This means that if you use a Norwegian server, you’ll appear to be browsing the web from Norway. VPNs have plenty of other uses, for example, they encrypt your data, ensuring it can’t be read by snoopers like your employer, internet service provider, or government.
Take a look below for a quick overview of the best VPNs for streaming Norwegian TV shows while traveling abroad. If any catch your eye, just scroll down for a more in-depth review.
Best VPNs for Norwegian TV:
- ExpressVPN: Our top VPN for streaming Norwegian TV abroad. It offers unlimited bandwidth, fast enough speeds for flawless streaming, and best-in-class security.
- NordVPN: The best budget service for watching TV from Norway while abroad. Able to unblock a huge range of services and has the security tools to ensure you can use them safely.
- CyberGhost: A highly versatile VPN with excellent speeds and a comprehensive set of security features. Great for unblocking your favorite channels from outside of Norway.
- IPVanish: With high-speed connections, unlimited bandwidth, and powerful privacy protections, this service lets you safely live stream Norwegian TV abroad.
- PrivateVPN: A no-logs VPN that boasts extremely high speeds and a strong security focus. Unblocks all kinds of streaming services including NRK and Netflix US.
- Surfshark: This service offers both speed and security, plus it’s able to unblock platforms like NRK and Viafree with ease. Best of all, it allows an unlimited number of connections.
- Hotspot Shield: This VPN provides reliable, speedy Norwegian servers and comes packed with advanced security features. Unblocks plenty of stubborn streaming services abroad.
How to live stream Norwegian TV with a VPN
VPNs are really quite simple to use. Below is our quick step-by-step guide to unblocking your favorite Norwegian TV channels in under a minute.
Here’s how to watch Norwegian TV shows online from anywhere:
- First, sign up for one of our recommended VPNs (ExpressVPN is a particularly strong choice).
- Now, download the VPN app onto any device you’d like to watch Norwegian TV on. Most providers allow at least five simultaneous connections.
- Log in and connect to a Norwegian VPN server. Once you do, you’ll have a Norwegian IP address and will be able to access all kinds of geo-blocked services from Norway.
- Visit your chosen streaming service and try playing a video. It should begin right away, but if it doesn’t, try clearing your browser’s cookies and reloading the page. If you’re still having trouble, try a different server or contact your VPN’s support team.
TRY A PAID VPN FREE: Only looking for short-term VPN coverage? No problem: you can always make use of ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. This will allow you to stream Norwegian TV shows risk-free since if you’re unimpressed, you can just cancel to receive a full refund.
Which Norwegian services can I watch from abroad?
VPNs let you access all manner of geo-blocked Norwegian services. Below, we’ve listed a few of the most popular streaming platforms you’ll be able to unblock, but essentially, once connected, you’ll be able to access most services as though you were actually in Norway.
- HBO Nordic
- TV2 Sumo
- TV4 Play
How to choose the best VPNs for Norwegian TV
We know how daunting it can be to choose your first VPN; there are hundreds available and more arriving every day. Plus, unless you’re a computer networking expert, most of the technical specifications will go over your head. For most people, it’s best to choose a versatile service, rather than a hyper-specialized one. To guarantee you get a VPN that can handle almost any situation, we based our recommendations on these criteria:
- Offers access to at least one Norwegian server (but ideally more than that)
- Provides consistently high speeds and reliable connections
- Capable of unblocking a wide range of Norwegian streaming services
- Keeps your activities private with a selection of powerful security features
- Refuses to log any personally identifiable information
- Comes with apps for all major operating systems and devices
Best VPNs for live streaming Norwegian TV
Read on to find out more about the best VPNs for Norwegian TV:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a strong choice for anyone who wants to watch their favorite shows from outside Norway. It has more than 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries, is fast enough to stream live video with no noticeable buffering, and can even unblock tricky platforms like Netflix US and Amazon Prime Video. Users can protect up to five devices simultaneously.
This VPN puts major emphasis on user security, with 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, and a kill switch, all enabled by default. Most importantly, ExpressVPN doesn’t log any information that could identify you. This means that once connected, your activities are, and will always be, private. For another layer of anonymity, it’s possible to pay with Bitcoin. Having problems? Support is on-hand 24/7 over email and live chat.
ExpressVPN offers Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux apps. There’s also custom firmware for supported routers that makes it easier to secure all of your devices at once.
- Fast, reliable servers in Norway
- Can unblock most geo-restricted content at HD speeds
- Puts your security first
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly higher cost than others
BEST VPN FOR NORWEGIAN TV:ExpressVPN is an easy-to-use, high-speed service that easily unblocks major Norwegian streaming platforms like NRK and TVNorge abroad. It comes with powerful security and privacy protections, plus a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
We take an even closer look at this VPN in our complete ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has over 65 Norwegian servers, and 5,500 in total, spanning 59 countries. What really sets this service apart is its incredible unblocking ability: you’ll be able to access not just NRK and Viafree, but also a wide range of international platforms including Netflix US and BBC iPlayer. Further, with solid speeds and up to six connections permitted at once, this VPN makes it easy to stream Norwegian TV, even if you’re on-the-go.
Of course, the main purpose of a VPN is to secure your traffic and NordVPN does this extremely well. There’s 256-bit AES encryption, a customizable kill switch, automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, plus WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leak protection. Additionally, users can access special obfuscated servers for an even higher level of privacy. NordVPN is a zero-logs provider, meaning it can’t share details of your activities even if asked to. Should you need any help, you can reach support, day or night, via live chat or email.
NordVPN has apps for MacOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS. This service can be manually configured for use with select network routers too.
- Over 60 high-speed Norwegian servers
- Excellent unblocking ability
- Comprehensive security offering
- Zero-logs policy
- Desktop apps can be slow at times
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN is a very affordable service that offers the ability to unblock and stream Norwegian TV shows from abroad, without compromising on security. Better still, it keeps no logs and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Why not check out our full NordVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers access to more than 30 very fast Norwegian servers, plus another 6,400 in 89 other countries. With exceptional unblocking ability and novice-friendly apps, you shouldn’t have any trouble watching Norwegian TV channels like NRK from abroad. As a bonus, this service allows you to secure up to seven devices simultaneously.
This VPN includes a comprehensive suite of security features, all of which come pre-configured. These include protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, 256-bit encryption, an always-on kill switch (that stops sending traffic as soon as your connection drops), and automatic malware-scanning. CyberGhost doesn’t store any personally identifiable information, which means that you can browse the internet almost completely anonymously. Customer support is always available via email or live chat.
CyberGhost users can install apps for their Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS, or Linux devices. If you’re looking for complete protection, you can manually install it on your home router.
- Offers access to 30+ reliable servers in Norway
- Fast and easy to use
- All security features enabled by default
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced features
GREAT FOR STREAMING:CyberGhost has high speeds, excellent unblocking ability, and powerful security features, making it a natural choice for anyone looking to watch Norwegian TV from outside Norway. Best of all, this service includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Still have questions? Find out more in our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has roughly 1,400 servers in 60+ countries, five of which are in Norway. This service provides consistently high speeds, which means you’ll be able to live stream Norwegian TV shows in the highest possible quality without interruption. As a bonus, this VPN has a very generous connection limit; it lets you protect up to 10 devices simultaneously.
Security is another area where IPVanish excels. It keeps you safe using a combination of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. There’s also the ability to obfuscate your traffic (OpenVPN connections only) which allows you to hide the telltale signs that you’re using a VPN in the first place. IPVanish follows a strict no-logs policy, so your privacy is in good hands. Customers can get help 24/7 over live chat or email.
IPVanish has apps for MacOS, iOS, Windows, and Android. However, it can be manually installed on Linux systems and select internet routers.
- High speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Unblocks NRK, Viafree, and more from outside of Norway
- All the security and privacy features you need for most situations
- Struggles to unblock some major streaming services
NO LOGS PROVIDER:IPVanish ensures you can live stream Norwegian TV safely thanks to its powerful encryption and strict zero-logging policy. That’s not all, though: this VPN also offers high-speed connections, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and round-the-clock support.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has roughly 150 servers throughout 60 countries (Norway included). This is quite a small network, but it helps make up for it by providing much higher speeds than many of its competitors. What’s more, this VPN is capable of unblocking a list of popular sites including Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and Viafree. Up to six devices can be connected at once.
This VPN comes packed with advanced security features including 256-bit AES encryption, a customizable kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. There’s also a stealth mode that lets you get around some of the strictest online blocking. PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs at all, meaning that once connected, you’re effectively untraceable. Support is available 22 hours per day over live chat and email.
PrivateVPN offers Android, iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Linux apps. Additionally, it can be manually configured for use with supported wireless routers.
- Faster than many other providers
- Exceptional unblocking capabilities
- No-logs policy and strong security features
- Fairly small network
- Live chat is not around the clock
UNBLOCK ALMOST ANYTHING:PrivateVPN is a speedy, security-conscious provider that lets you access all kinds of region-locked content from outside of Norway. What’s more, this VPN follows a strict no-logs policy and all of its plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more details, check out our complete PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a reliable VPN with more than 1,700 servers in 60+ countries. This makes it an excellent way to watch Norwegian TV while traveling abroad, plus with solid speeds, there’s no need to worry about long buffering times. Unlike most other services on the market, Surfshark has no connection limit, which means you can stream safely across all of your devices at once.
There are plenty of advanced security features built-in too. For instance, Surfshark prevents IPv6 and DNS leaks, hides your activities using 256-bit encryption, and uses a kill switch to ensure that you never browse unprotected. It also includes an ad-blocker, a malware-scanner, and a NoBorders mode which lets you bypass country-wide internet restrictions. Surfshark does not log any personally identifiable data. Users can contact support 24/7 via email and live chat.
Surfshark apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux. If you’d prefer, you could always manually install it directly on a supported network router.
- Strong speeds and no connection limit
- Unblocks some of the most popular streaming services abroad
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- Occasional slow server
- A relatively small server network
WATCH WITHOUT LIMITS:Surfshark lets you connect as many devices as you like, unblock some of the most popular streaming services from abroad, and remain anonymous while you watch. As if that wasn’t enough, it even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our in-depth Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield offers access to over 3,200 servers. These are spread throughout 80+ countries (not just Norway), which means that this service is ideal for people looking to access platforms like Netflix US, NRK, or Amazon Prime Video abroad. Thanks to Hotspot Shield’s strong speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and five-connection limit, users are free to watch whatever they want, wherever they go.
This service doesn’t disappoint when it comes to security, either. There’s 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, as well as a feature that automatically turns the VPN on whenever you use a public network. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any identifiable logs, and as a result, there’s no need to worry about having your activities traced back to you. Support staff are available around the clock over both email and live chat.
Hotspot Shield has Android, Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Linux apps. Select internet routers are supported too, but you’ll have to configure the service manually.
- Fast enough for lag-free 4K streaming
- Unblocks major streaming services
- Plenty of powerful security features built-in
- Doesn’t support any anonymous payment options
FAST AND SECURE:Hotspot Shield makes it very easy to watch Norwegian TV from abroad. Further, it provides high speeds, strong security features, and unlimited bandwidth, as well as a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our comprehensive Hotspot Shield review.
Will a free VPN let me stream TV from Norway abroad?
You might be tempted to try using a free VPN to watch Norwegian TV while abroad, but you should know that these services have several major disadvantages compared to paid VPNs. To begin with, their networks are usually far smaller and concentrated on high-traffic countries like the US, the UK, and Canada.
Additionally, with far more users than most paid services, you’ll usually find that free VPNs are too slow for streaming. And you still may not be able to watch even if you find a Norwegian VPN server, since these services are often the first to be blacklisted by popular streaming platforms.
Even installing a free VPN can be a risky prospect. Studies suggest that major marketplaces are flooded with malware-carrying apps masquerading as free VPNs. To make matters worse, a large portion of seemingly legitimate services don’t actually encrypt your traffic or prevent personal information from leaking as you browse.
The best way to stay safe online is to use a well-established, reputable VPN that follows a strict zero-logs policy.
Why else might I need a VPN?
It can be difficult to browse safely while traveling, particularly since you’ll likely be reliant on public wifi networks. However, when you connect to a VPN, your traffic is encrypted. This means that anyone who’s monitoring your activities — whether it’s the government, your employer, or the hotspot owner — will be unable to see which sites you visit. Additionally, since your traffic will be routed through servers in a different country, you can use them to access betting, dating, or social media sites, even in places where these are usually inaccessible.
You might find your account access limited if you try to log in to your DNB, Luster Sparebank, or Bank Norwegian AS online banking service from abroad. This is because many banks have automated fraud prevention systems designed to stop a foreign hacker from stealing your money. The problem is that these systems are rarely smart enough to tell whether you’re a victim of fraud or simply on vacation. To lower the chance of being locked out, you can just use a VPN to access your online banking services from home.
- 1 How to live stream Norwegian TV with a VPN
- 2 Which Norwegian services can I watch from abroad?
- 3 How to choose the best VPNs for Norwegian TV
- 4 Best VPNs for live streaming Norwegian TV
- 5 1. ExpressVPN
- 6 2. NordVPN
- 7 3. CyberGhost
- 8 4. IPVanish
- 9 5. PrivateVPN
- 10 6. Surfshark
- 11 7. Hotspot Shield
- 12 Will a free VPN let me stream TV from Norway abroad?
- 13 Why else might I need a VPN?