If you’re a British sports fan, you might have noticed you can’t always watch the English Premier League (EPL) games while abroad. While some games air on TV, most streaming services like Sky Go and BT Sport use regional blocking to prevent viewing from countries other than the UK. That said, it is possible to bypass these restrictions and keep your online activities private by connecting to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and watch the EPL in the US or anywhere else internationally.
VPNs encrypt your network traffic, meaning it can’t be read by an outside observer. This includes hackers, network administrators, and your own Internet Service Provider (ISP). You can mask your IP address with one from another country by connecting to a server in that location. This means you can trick websites into thinking you are somewhere else, for example, in the UK.
The best VPNs for watching EPL matches
We get into plenty of detail on each of the VPNs we have selected for this list, but if you are short of time, here is a summary list of the best VPNs for watching EPL matches:
- ExpressVPN Our #1 choice. Sporting a vast network of blazingly fast servers, this VPN can unblock EPL matches from anywhere and just about any other popular geo-restricted streaming content. Solid Security features and includes a 30-day money back guarantee.
- NordVPN Great value option with a large network of servers that have no trouble unblocking EPL matches. Consistently good speeds.
- IPVanish A favorite among Kodi and Fire TV Stick users for their remote control friendly apps. Good speeds for streaming.
- PrivateVPN Unblocks EPL matches and even Netflix. Very fast and private.
- SaferVPN Easy-to-use apps, fast speeds, and unblocks Netflix.
Choosing the right VPN provider is crucial. There are hundreds of different services, but not all of them are suitable for streaming live content. To find the best VPNs for watching EPL matches, we looked for those with the following characteristics:
- Fast speeds and stable network connections
- Numerous servers in the UK
- Strong encryption and security features
- Minimal logging or no logging at all
ExpressVPN has six high-speed servers in the UK so it’s ideal for watching live content like EPL fixtures. It can also unblock sites like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and ITVHub, so you’ll be able to watch additional UK content.
ExpressVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption to keep your activities secure. It includes DNS leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, and a kill switch that stops network traffic if the VPN is disconnected abruptly. This provider is completely logless, has a .onion version of its site, and accepts bitcoin payments, making it a strong choice for users who want to be as anonymous as possible.
Apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick, and Android. It can be installed manually on certain wireless routers.
- Superfast servers are great for streaming EPL in HD
- No issues unblocking UK streaming content while abroad like Netflix, BBC iPlayer and more
- Fast and reliable servers in the UK are fit for most purposes
- High-grade encryption, security and privacy throughout
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
- 24hr chat support staff are great for working through any issues.
- Limited configuration options
BEST VPN FOR WATCHING EPL:ExpressVPN is our #1 Choice. A super fast and reliable choice for watching the English Premier League matches while abroad. Also unblocks all major streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go and many more. Best-in-class security and privacy with 256-bit AES encryption, keep no browser logs, kill switch and leak protection. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
All of NordVPN’s servers are optimized for high-definition streaming, and with more than 600 British servers, you shouldn’t expect much, if any, buffering when streaming EPL games on a fast connection. In case you have any difficulties, there’s 24/7 live chat available to help.
NordVPN makes staying safe online very simple. It includes anti-malware and ad-blocking features, as well as a highly customizable kill switch, DNS leak protection, and 256-bit AES encryption. There are no logs of personally identifiable information.
NordVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It can be manually installed on Linux-based systems and select routers.
- Unblocks most popular UK streaming content at HD speeds from abroad, including EPL matches
- Budget provider that doesn’t skimp on security or privacy features
- Vast server network is very capable at unblocking most geo-restricted content
- Apps for all major mobile and desktop platforms
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat
- Mobile apps and set-top devices seem to perform better than the desktop app
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN is a good value choice. A great value option which can unblock EPL matches while abroad. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. Good on privacy and security. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Save 75% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
IPVanish is a popular VPN provider for streaming thanks to its fast speeds, consistent connections, and extensive server coverage. This makes it an excellent choice for those looking to watch EPL games in HD with minimal buffering.
This VPN offers above-average customizability. It allows users to block all LAN traffic, disconnect when the VPN’s connection is lost, obfuscate OpenVPN traffic, and switch IP addresses regularly. It uses 256-bit encryption with both DNS and IPv6 leak protection enabled by default.
IPVanish is available for Windows, Mac, Android, Amazon Fire Stick, and iOS. Linux systems and some routers are also supported but manual configuration is required.
- Unblocks EPL matches and all major UK streaming sites from abroad
- Keeps no logs, has automatic kill switch and wifi protection
- Best performer for Android-based Kodi devices in our testing
- Top notch security and privacy considerations
- Claims 24/7 support, but tickets can take one or two days
FAST AND RELIABLE:IPVanish has a large network of servers. Uncongested network achieves good speeds. Strong security and privacy features. Could do with having live customer support. 7-day money back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year planGET DEAL
While PrivateVPN only has four British servers, it offers higher speeds than many of its rivals. It’s also capable of unblocking popular streaming platforms including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and ITV Hub, making it perfect for watching live streams in HD. Further, you can connect up to six devices at once, allowing you to view games on whichever device you prefer.
PrivateVPN uses 256-bit encryption to keep your activities private. It has DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and a no logs policy. Live chat is available in case of any issues, although response times are slightly longer at weekends. Six simultaneous connections are permitted so you can protect all of your devices with a single account.
Apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. Manual setup is required for Linux and wireless routers.
- Gaining a solid reputation for unblocking geo-restricted content, including the EPL
- Streaming speeds are good enough for HD
- Privacy and security are top notch
- Small number of servers to choose from
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks many popular UK shows and allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Could do with having more servers in the UK and lacks 24/7 support. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
SaferVPN is a very simple VPN, aimed at novice users who just want to protect themselves with as little configuration as possible. It’s among the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, making it a strong choice for streaming HD content while abroad.
Despite its simplicity, SaferVPN provides a good degree of security. It uses 256-bit AES encryption, protects against DNS and IPv6 leaks, and automatically connects whenever you use an unsecured wireless network. There’s also a kill switch that blocks traffic when the connection to the VPN is lost.
SaferVPN offers apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. It can be manually installed on Linux and certain routers.
- Testing revealed good streaming and download speeds
- Dedicated UK streaming option handles EPL matches with ease
- No logs stored and apps have solid security settings
- Even though they operate their own DNS server, some servers use public DNS like Google
- iOS and Android apps couldn’t unblock Netflix during our tests
- Doesn’t work in China
EASY TO USE:SaferVPN achieves great speeds. Reliably unblocks EPL matches and has great privacy credentials. Lacks some popular features and won’t work in China. Includes a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full SaferVPN review.
Save 81% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
Can I use a free VPN to watch the English Premier League?
Free VPNs can be attractive at first glance but we advise against using them for several reasons. Because free VPNs often have fewer servers and more users than the VPNs above, you’re likely to experience slow speeds and disconnections. There may be queues for individual servers and data caps, depending on the provider. Live streams require decent connection speeds and as such, a free VPN is unlikely to suit your needs.
You should also consider the ways free VPNs make money. They are capable of injecting ads on every page you visit, prioritizing specific sites above others, tracking your browsing habits (even after you disconnect), and selling records of your activities to unknown third parties.
This isn’t mere speculation. In the past, we’ve seen free VPN services mislead their users about the logs they keep, infect systems with malware, and even sell their users’ bandwidth without their knowledge. To prevent any of this and keep your private information safe, we recommend using a reputable VPN with clearly defined logging and privacy policies.
Can I watch Premier League games for free?
Unfortunately, not legally. Unlicensed streams have become such a problem that the EPL got an injunction requiring British ISPs to block access to these streams as soon as they’re reported. This means that even if you manage to locate an unlicensed stream, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to watch the entire game.
While this does mean you’ll probably have to pay to watch EPL matches, most sports streaming platforms offer low-cost daily, weekly, or monthly passes. By paying to watch, you’re helping to ensure that the players, club staff, and broadcasters are able to continue making this content possible.
Where can I watch EPL matches?
EPL games are available on different streaming services depending on which country you’re in. Some services only have partial broadcasting rights, so to make things easier we’ve listed some sources where you can watch every single game. If your country isn’t included, you can find the official broadcaster for your region here.
- UK: Sky Sports, BT Sports, Now TV (with a Sky Sports Pass), highlights available on BBC Sport
- USA: NBC Sports Gold (Premier League Pass available), Telemundo
- Canada: Sportsnet Now, TSN
- Middle East: beIN Sports
- Australia: SBS, Optus Sport
It’s worth noting that games with a kickoff time between 2:45pm and 5:15pm aren’t broadcast in the UK. This measure is intended to increase match attendance, but unfortunately means more than half of the Premier League games won’t be shown. If you want to view every game, a UK site might not be the best choice.
The sites listed above may be accessible from a different country using a VPN. That said, if paying with credit or debit card, there could be the issue of an out-of-country billing address. For instance, Now TV checks the address associated with credit cards to ensure users live within the UK. If a particular service accepts payment through an online wallet like PayPal, however, and no equipment (TV boxes, etc) are required, there likely won’t be any issues.
In the past, viewers in New Zealand, Thailand, and the Philippines had the option to watch via Premier League Pass. Despite being recommended on several sites, Premier League Pass is no longer available, as evidenced by its website. This confusion may be due to NBC offering a pass with the same name, but this only allows access from within the US.
When are the games taking place?
You can find a complete list of English Premier League games on the official site. You should note that the times given are correct for the UK, but due to the clocks going forward an hour, working out what time they’ll be airing in your country might not be as straightforward as you might think.
To simplify things, we’ve made an EPL cheat sheet for the US, Canada, and Australia.
|Before March 25||After March 25|
|CT||Subtract six hours from the kickoff time||Subtract seven hours from the kickoff time|
|EST||Subtract five hours from the kickoff time||Subtract six hours from the kickoff time|
|PST||Subtract eight hours from the kickoff time||Subtract nine hours from the kickoff time|
|AEST||Add ten hours to the kickoff time||Add eleven hours to the kickoff time|
|ACST||Add nine and a half hours to the kickoff time||Add ten and a half hours to the kickoff time|
|AWST||Add eight hours to the kickoff time||Add nine hours to the kickoff time|
- 1 The best VPNs for watching EPL matches
- 2 1. ExpressVPN
- 3 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 4 2. NordVPN
- 5 Save 75% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 6 3. IPVanish
- 7 Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year plan
- 8 4. PrivateVPN
- 9 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 10 5. SaferVPN
- 11 Save 81% on the 3 year plan
- 12 Can I use a free VPN to watch the English Premier League?
- 13 Can I watch Premier League games for free?
- 14 Where can I watch EPL matches?
- 15 When are the games taking place?