If you want to watch the History Channel outside of the US you will need a VPN. We’ll explain how and which VPNs to use.
So, what is a VPN? Short for “Virtual Private Network”, a VPN encrypts your internet traffic and sends it through a secure tunnel to one of its own servers. By connecting to a server in the US, for example, you’ll be provided with a US IP address. This allows you to unblock region-blocked content, so you can watch the History Channel to your heart’s content. A VPN also helps improve your online privacy (but more on this later!).
In case you don’t have time to read the full article just yet, here’s a brief summary of the best VPNs you can use to watch the History Channel outside of America:
Best VPNs to watch History Channel
- ExpressVPN: Unblocks the History Channel, Netflix, and HBO Go. Fast and reliable connections for streaming. Strong security and beginner-friendly apps. 24/7 support.
- NordVPN: 1,700 US servers. Watch the History Channel, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer. Connect up to 6 devices. 24/7 support. Easy to use and secure with no-logs policy.
- CyberGhost: Hundreds of fast, reliable servers in the US for the History Channel. Also unblocks Netflix US. Use on up to 7 devices. Secures your data with encryption.
- IPVanish: US-based VPN that works well with the History Channel. Lets you connect up to 10 devices. Good speeds for streaming. No-logs policy protects your privacy.
- PrivateVPN: High-speed VPN for streaming the History Channel, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. Use on up to 6 devices. No-logs VPN with encryption and user-friendly apps.
- Surfshark: Unblock the History Channel and Netflix. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Includes encryption and kill switch. User-friendly apps and 24/7 support.
If you’re wondering how we came up with our choices of the best VPNs to watch the History Channel, here’s a short summary of the criteria that each VPN had to meet:
- Unblocks History Channel outside the US.
- Fast and reliable speeds for streaming.
- Secures your data with encryption.
- Operates a no-logs policy.
- Provides support via live chat and email.
- User-friendly with desktop and mobile apps.
The Best VPNs to watch the History Channel
Here’s our list of the best VPNs to watch the History Channel:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN unblocks most geo-blocked streaming services, including the History Channel. It has fast, reliable servers in over a dozen US cities including Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York. Unlike some VPNs, it doesn’t throttle your connection. In fact, it offers unlimited bandwidth which makes for streaming that is buffering and lag-free. This VPN also unblocks Netflix, HBO Go, and Hulu.
If you’re new to using a VPN, ExpressVPN is a particularly good choice. It’s an easy VPN to use, with simple apps for all the most popular operating systems, as well as extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Also included is MediaStreamer, a smart DNS proxy that lets you unblock History Channel from devices such as Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV. ExpressVPN offers fast and friendly customer support which is available 24/7 via live chat and email.
This provider takes your security seriously, offering 256-bit encryption, split tunneling functionality, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. There’s also a kill switch that stops all traffic should you lose connection to the VPN. ExpressVPN is a secure VPN based in the British Virgin Islands, a location with no mandatory data retention laws. What’s more, ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any identifiable logs, allowing you to have greater online privacy when browsing and streaming.
ExpressVPN offers apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux), mobile (Android and iOS) and routers. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- Fast, reliable servers in over a dozen cities in the US
- Can be used to unblock the History Channel, Netflix and HBO Go
- Easy-to-use apps and browser extensions
- Smart DNS proxy for unblocking the History Channel on other devices
- Friendly customer support available 24/7 via live chat
- Secure VPN with encryption and kill switch feature
- Only allows up to 3 simultaneous connections (some rival VPNs offer 6 or more)
BEST VPN FOR HISTORY CHANNEL:ExpressVPN offers a combination of speed and security. It unblocks most region-locked content including the History Channel and Netflix. Offers excellent apps and includes 24/7 live chat support. Highly secure VPN with encryption and kill switch. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has more servers in the US than any other VPN on this list. From its network of more than 5,100 servers, around 1,700 are in the United States. This makes it easy to unblock the History Channel or any other US-based streaming service such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video abroad. It offers a variety of specialized servers for users seeking even greater online privacy as well as servers optimized for P2P sharing.
This is an easy VPN for beginners to use, but there’s plenty of customization options for advanced users too. With up to six simultaneous connections allowed, NordVPN allows you to protect all of your devices at once. There’s also a 24/7 support service in case you run into any problems. NordVPN is based in Panama and has a strict no-logs policy. It uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch to keep your activities private at all times.
You can use NordVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. Routers require manual installation.
- 1,700 servers in the US and 5,100 worldwide
- Unblocks History Channel, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and more
- Can be used on up to 6 devices
- Customer support available 24/7
- Secure VPN based in Panama and has a strict no-logs policy
- Server speeds can vary somewhat
GREAT VALUE ALTERNATIVE:NordVPN has over 1,700 US servers and allows you to unblock platforms like the History Channel and Amazon Prime Video. Use on up to 6 devices. Offers user-friendly apps and browser extensions. 24/7 live chat support. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has very fast servers which makes it well suited to History Channel streaming outside the US. Overall, almost 700 of its approximately 3,600 servers are in the USA, providing you with plenty of choices. You can also use CyberGhost to unblock Netflix US as well as Hulu. The connections are as reliable as they are high speed which means you shouldn’t experience any buffering or lag while streaming.
You can use CyberGhost to connect up to 7 devices simultaneously. It’s quick to set up this easy VPN with your various devices, particularly because the apps and browser extensions are designed with beginners in mind. This service offers 24/7 support via live chat and email. CyberGhost doesn’t log any data which could identify you and enhances your online security with a 256-bit AES encryption and DNS leak protection, an ad-blocker, a malware-scanner, and an always-on kill switch.
It’s possible to download CyberGhost apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick/Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. Manual configuration is necessary for Linux and routers.
- Fast speeds for streaming the History channel outside the US
- A network of 3,600 servers in 60 countries
- Allows up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Offers 24/7 live chat support
- Highly secure with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- No apps for Linux or routers
- Unable to unblock some streaming services
LAG-FREE STREAMING:CyberGhost has unlimited bandwidth and over 700 US servers. Works well with the History Channel. Offers a good selection of apps and browser extension and 24/7 support via live chat. Highly secure VPN service with a no-logs policy and encryption. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is able to unblock the History Channel abroad thanks to its hundreds of servers in the US. These servers are spread across the country in cities such as Atlanta, Dallas, and Phoenix. This VPN states that it offers unlimited bandwidth and, having tested the servers for ourselves, we can say that the speeds are more than suitable for HD streaming. Better still, IPVanish allows you to have up to 10 simultaneous connections via a single account.
With user-friendly apps for desktop and mobile, IPVanish makes it easy to browse safely wherever you are. There’s also 24/7 live chat support should you need it. When it comes to security, this US-based VPN provider ensures your data remains private with its zero-logs policy, 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and kill switch.
IPVanish apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Fire TV. However, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions for Linux and routers.
- Hundreds of US servers for watching the History Channel abroad
- Lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Protects your privacy with encryption and a no-logs policy
- No option to pay in Bitcoin
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
US-BASED VPN SERVICE:IPVanish is headquartered in the US and has fast servers in multiple US cities. Works well with the History Channel. Lets you connect up to 10 devices. Includes live chat support and secure no-logs policy. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN lets you stream the History Channel seamlessly without interruption. This small, Swedish VPN has fast and reliable servers in a number of US cities including Las Vegas and New York. Aside from the History Channel, it can unblock streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. This is an easy VPN to share with family as it allows up to 6 simultaneous connections, all to unique IP addresses.
This service is easy to use and offers strong multi-platform support. Unlike most VPNs, PrivateVPN doesn’t outsource its customer support, meaning you can speak to the developers directly if you have any problems. It protects your data with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. This is a no-logs VPN so there’s no need to worry about your activities being traced back to you.
PrivateVPN apps are available for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). Manual installation is required for Linux and routers.
- Fast speeds for streaming History Channel, Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Use it to secure up to 6 devices
- Offers live chat support – speak to the developers directly
- No-logs VPN that uses encryption to protect your privacy
- A small network of only 100 servers
- Limited choice of apps and no browser extensions
FAST SERVERS:PrivateVPN has high speed servers in the US for streaming the History Channel as well as Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps. Secure up to 6 devices. Includes kill switch and no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has no shortage of servers in the US and makes it easy to unblock the History Channel overseas. It has servers in over a dozen US cities including Los Angeles and New York. Overall, this VPN has approximately 800 servers in 50 countries which means you can unblock geo-locked websites and services all over the world. However, one of the best features of Surfshark is that it allows you to simultaneously connect as many devices as you’d like. You can also use Surfshark to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
You’ll find Surfshark easy to use as the apps follow a clear, simple design. Surfshark is packed with features including an ad-blocker and automatic wifi protection, making one of the best value VPNs on the market. Like ExpressVPN, Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands. It protects your privacy with a no-logs policy and 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
You can use Surfshark via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Fire TV. There’s also the option of Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Manual installation is needed for Linux and routers.
- Unblocks History Channel, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- User-friendly apps and browser extensions
- Your data is protected with a strict no-logs policy
- A small network of servers compared to some of its rivals
- Some inconsistent servers
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:Surfshark is a great option for families as it allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. Unblocks the History Channel and Netflix. Very user-friendly apps and 24/7 live chat support. No-logs policy and encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
How to use a VPN with the History Channel
While it’s easy enough to use a VPN to watch History Channel outside the US, it’s worth knowing that you’ll still be required to sign in with a TV provider in order to access the content. Aside from this, here’s what you need to do to:
How to use a VPN to watch History Channel
- Sign up with one of the best VPNs for the History Channel – we particularly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension. Select a server in the US and click to connect.
- Go to the History Channel website or one of the History Channel apps. Open a video which should now be unblocked and available to watch.
We found that we didn’t need to clear our browser’s cache and cookies in order for VPN changes to take effect. However, you should try this if you’re still having problems. Alternatively, try another server or contact your VPN service provider’s customer support.
Can I use a free VPN to watch the History Channel?
Some free VPNs can unblock History Channel. However, the majority of free VPNs are slow which isn’t great for browsing, let alone streaming or torrenting. Free VPNs often have very few servers and too many users. You may find a free VPN throttles your bandwidth, causing buffering and lag when watching the History Channel. What’s more, free VPNs are terrible at unblocking the most popular streaming services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
There’s another big reason why you shouldn’t use a free VPN to watch the History Channel. Quite simply, free VPNs aren’t secure, lacking key security features such as encryption and a kill switch. This means your data isn’t protected or private. Worse still, some free VPNs keep connection and activity logs and sell them to third parties. In contrast, the best VPNs to watch the History Channel use encryption to secure your data and have strict no-logs policies.
What can I watch on the History Channel?
Originally this channel’s programming focus was primarily History Channel documentaries and historical fiction series. However, in recent years it has expanded to cover some reality TV series and even some non-historical content. Here’s a list of just some of the History Channel TV shows available online:
- Ancient Aliens
- The Curse of Oak Island
- Pawn Stars
- Ax Men
- Forged in Fire
- Swamp People
On which devices can I watch the History Channel?
Aside from being able to watch History Channel on a desktop via your web browser, the History Channel offers apps for the following devices:
- Mobile (Android and iOS)
- Apple TV
- Android TV
- Amazon Fire TV
The best VPNs to watch the History Channel all offer apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). Some even offer apps for Android TV and Amazon Fire Stick/Fire TV, offering you a number of ways in which you can watch History Channel outside the US.