Traveling abroad doesn’t mean you can’t watch Crunchyroll. Technically, the site is accessible from anywhere in the world but geo-restrictions apply in terms of the anime that are available to each user.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can help you regain access to your usual anime library by changing your IP address, making it look like you’re still in your home country. This is important because the number of available shows can vary pretty wildly from one region to another. As an added bonus, VPNs encrypt your traffic too, preventing your ISP from keeping tabs on your activities or throttling your connection.
Crunchyroll is region-locked, which means if you would like to continue watching your favorite anime while traveling abroad, you’ll need the help of a VPN.
How to watch Crunchyroll from anywhere
Never used a VPN before? Don’t worry, just follow the steps below to access the full library of Crunchyroll from anywhere.
Here’s how to watch Crunchyroll online abroad (outside the US):
- Sign up for one of the VPN providers mentioned in this list (we recommend NordVPN) and subscribe to a plan that is best suited for your requirements
- Once that’s done, download and install your provider’s app
- Clear your cookies and cache to remove old location identifiers. Restart your device
- Login to the VPN app and select a server in your home country
- Wait for a connection to be established – this is usually indicated by a green light in your taskbar or at the top of your smartphone screen
- Open your phone or browser and use Crunchyroll normally
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for anime with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge the show of the season while on a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide not to keep NordVPN and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
You can’t just use any VPN with Crunchyroll. Below, we’ll take you through a list of what we think are the best VPNs that will work flawlessly with Crunchyroll. They’re ranked on the following factors (we explain these in more detail later):
- Speed and stability of service
- Large number of VPN server locations in the US
- Strong encryption standards
- Ability to unblock restricted content
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Ease of use
If you haven’t got the time to want to read the rest of this article, here’s our list of the best VPNs that will unblock Crunchyroll:
- NordVPN: Our #1 pick! Blazing fast speeds and super-strong security. Works great with lots of streaming sites and offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget option. Boasts exceptionally high speeds and strong security to boot. Secure as many devices as you like.
- ExpressVPN: Stream Crunchyroll from anywhere. Fast servers in 94 countries and a great reputation where streaming is concerned. Keeps no logs.
- CyberGhost: Fast and easy to set up, with more than 7,000 servers globally. Specialized streaming servers and 24/7 support make it ideal for novices.
- IPVanish: A no-logs VPN with top-tier speeds and a great set of privacy tools built-in. Stream Crunchyroll securely across all of your devices.
- PrivateVPN: This privacy-first VPN has no problems with Crunchyroll (or most other streaming services). Very high speeds and a true zero-logs policy.
- Atlas VPN: With fast speeds, exceptional streaming potential, and no connection limit, this is a great option for watching Crunchyroll abroad.
Best VPNs for Crunchyroll
Now, we’ll take a closer look at the best VPNs for Crunchyroll:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for a Crunchyroll VPN. It’s faster than most other services on the market and provides a wide array of security tools. Further, this provider operates a huge network of over 5,400 servers in 60 countries, with almost 2,000 in the US alone. Aside from Crunchyroll, NordVPN can help you securely access a ton of other sites including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as for Linux, Windows, and MacOS. Support is available via 24/7 live chat should you need any help.
- Exceptional speeds
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- Great for privacy-conscious users with no logs and Bitcoin payments
- Support staff are helpful and available around the clock
- Unable to select which specific server you want to connect to
BEST VPN FOR CRUNCHYROLL:NordVPN is our top choice. Pegs some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen and works reliably with Crunchyroll. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes it a risk-free option.
Here’s our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is the best way to stream Crunchyroll on a budget. It provides some of the highest speeds we’ve seen and works with a huge number of services, including Netflix, Disney Plus, and HBO. All in all, there are around 3,200 servers to choose from in 65 countries. Best of all, this low-cost VPN lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
There’s plenty to like from a security perspective too. The apps include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a stealth mode that can help you browse safely in places like China. Surfshark has also just introduced a new feature that switches your IP address periodically. This VPN keeps no logs whatsoever and offers around the clock support via live chat.
Surfshark apps are available for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux systems. You can also manually install this VPN on supported home routers.
- No limit on number of devices connected
- Takes privacy and security very seriously
- Works great with most streaming services
- Capable of delivering very fast speeds
- Zero-logs provider
- App gives a lot of space to features that aren’t included in the base subscription
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our top low-cost VPN. It works flawlessly with Crunchyroll and is more than fast enough for HD streaming. It’s highly secure too, and keeps no logs. Plans include a 30-day money-back guaranee.
Why not read our complete Surfshark review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers a fast, efficient, and robust product. Currently, there are 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries to choose from, including dozens of locations in the US. This VPN’s own Lightway protocol provides extremely high speeds, so you shouldn’t have any issues streaming Crunchyroll. There are no bandwidth caps and a maximum of five devices can be connected simultaneously.
This VPN’s leak protection, kill switch, and powerful encryption help ensure your data stays private at all times. Further, it’s recently added a Threat Manager feature that blocks your apps from communicating with known trackers and spam sites. ExpressVPN doesn’t store any logs that could identify you. If you need help, get in touch using the 24/7 live chat service.
There are apps for both Android and iOS, making it possible to stream Crunchyroll directly on your phone. Desktop apps for Linux, Windows, and MacOS are included. This service even has its own firmware for routers.
- Fast servers in 94 countries
- Very strong on security
- Works with plenty of streaming services
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
- Slightly more pricey than other services
GREAT PERFORMANCE:ExpressVPN has a vast global server network optimized for high-speed connections. User-friendly apps for all operating systems. Plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is an affordable, reliable VPN with more than 7,700 servers spread across 90+ countries. Some of these are even specially designed to work with major streaming platforms like Netflix and HBO Max. Rest assured, while there’s no specific server optimized for Crunchyroll, we never had any issues streaming anime while connected. Speeds are impressive and up to seven devices can be secured at once.
The company says clearly that it doesn’t log user behavior and browsing habits. Furthermore, it’s headquartered in Romania which means it isn’t subject to any mandatory data retention laws. Its security tools include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and automatic malware-scanning. Live chat-based support is available 24/7.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as desktop software for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. Manual configuration is required to get this VPN running on supported routers.
- Our tests revealed above-average speeds
- No issues unblocking Crunchyroll
- Apps are easy to use and great for new users
- Strong on security and privacy
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
GREAT FOR NOVICES:CyberGhost has a simple set up and very high speeds. Privacy-conscious VPN with a huge network. Unblocks Crunchyroll and most other streaming sites. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a solid choice if you’re looking to stream video since all of its servers are optimized for speed and stability. There are roughly 2,000 in 60+ countries and we were able to access Crunchyroll, Netflix, Sling TV, and more while connected. This VPN is one of the few that lets you secure any number of devices simultaneously.
With 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection, this VPN makes it easy to stay safe online. It also supports the faster WireGuard protocol but if you’d prefer to use OpenVPN, you can scramble your traffic and potentially access services that usually block VPNs entirely. IPVanish follows a no-logs policy and provides 24/7 assistance over live chat.
There are apps for both iOS and Android as well as desktop software for Windows and MacOS. Linux systems and routers are supported too, but you’ll have to install the VPN manually.
- Fast enough for uninterrupted streaming
- The interface is easy to use with Kodi and other Android-based media systems.
- Strong on privacy and security
- Secure all of your devices at once
- Look elsewhere if you need to use apps in China
NO CONNECTION LIMIT:IPVanish has a large network of servers and handles multiple connections well. Easy to use and preferred by users who need high standards of privacy. Good streaming credentials. Annual plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a relatively limited network with roughly 200 servers in 63 countries but it offers excellent speeds and the ability to securely access just about any service you can think of. These include Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video, among others. What’s more, this service recently increased its connection from six devices to 10.
There’s no need to worry about privacy, either. PrivateVPN is its own ISP and server host, meaning the chances of third-party interference are effectively zero. On top of this, the service follows a true no-logs policy. The apps themselves include 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a stealth mode designed to bypass country-wide censorship. Live chat is available most hours of the day, but not quite 24/7, unfortunately.
PrivateVPN has its own MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android apps. If you’d prefer, you can manually install it on Linux systems or supported routers.
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Faster than many other providers
- Fantastic for streaming
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Small number of servers to choose from
PRIVACY FIRST:PrivateVPN is a security-focused provider that boasts exceptional speed and a zero-logs policy. Works effortlessly with Crunchyroll and many other streaming services. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is one of the fastest services around at the moment, averaging over 250 Mbps in our latest tests. Better still, it’s capable of securely accessing major platforms like Crunchyroll, Hulu, HBO Max, and Disney Plus. Users can connect as many devices as they like and choose from around 750 servers in 40 countries.
This provider keeps your traffic secure using a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. It also has a no-logs policy, meaning it can’t reveal what you do online under any circumstances. It continues to introduce new security tools, with a recent addition being the SafeSwap feature that changes your IP address at fixed intervals. Assistance is on-hand 24/7 via live chat.
Atlas VPN offers apps for iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Android
- Performs well with most streaming services
- Impressive security and privacy offering
- Fast enough for uninterrupted HD streaming
- No Linux or router support
- Small server infrastructure versus other providers
PERFECT FOR STREAMING:Atlas VPN is fast, security-conscious, and capable of unblocking Crunchyroll from anywhere. Lets you secure every device you own. This no-logs provider even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Find out more in our full Atlas VPN review.
Crunchyroll VPN testing methodology
Not all VPNs are created the same, and it is easy to end up with an inferior service. To ensure you get one that is reliable, we test market-leading services to check they are good for gaining online freedom and high levels of privacy.
To this end, we test, review, and compare VPNs to make recommendations for various purposes by using a precise, scientific, VPN testing methodology. Below, we have included some of the most important things we check for when testing:
- Reliable privacy policies. We check the VPN’s logging policies to ensure that it is not doing anything nefarious with your data. A reliable VPN never tracks what users do while connected and never retains any data that could be used to check up on the VPN user at a later date.
- Solid security. We check the VPN apps for important features like AES encryption, watertight VPN connection protocols, obfuscation, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. We also test those features and check for IP and DNS leaks to ensure that everything is working correctly, and the VPN is actually providing its users with the privacy and data security they pay for.
- Fast servers. We check to see where the VPN has servers and test that those servers are fast enough for streaming, gaming, torrenting, and other data-intensive tasks. We also check that those servers can bypass censorship and provide access to Rakuten TV, ESPN+, Sling TV, and other popular services.
- Apps for all platforms. A reliable VPN has apps for all platforms to let you enjoy VPN protection and accessibility on any device you own. Our recommendations have apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Some also have additional apps for routers, firestick devices, and browsers. Note that all of the VPNs above work with Kodi, making it easy to use the Crunchyroll Kodi addon.
- Excellent reliability and ease of use. We check that the VPN is consistent, has protocols designed to give you fast speeds (such as OpenVPN or WireGuard) and has apps that are easy enough for beginners to use. We also check that the VPN has plenty of servers to avoid congestion.
- Superb customer care. We recommend VPNs with live chat and email support to let you ask questions at any time of day. We also check the website for FAQs, guides, and blogs to help you stay informed about setting up and using the VPN.
Crunchyroll VPNs FAQs
Should I use a free VPN for Crunchyroll?
Some users will be tempted to sign up for a free VPN. Such services are heavily advertised on the web and usually allow you to sign up without a credit card. But there are some risks you should be aware of.
Free VPN services routinely deploy weak encryption standards, painfully slow speeds, and an ongoing threat of viruses/malware infections. Such companies try to attract as many users as possible in order to make a quick buck via invasive advertisements or other unethical practices such as mining your data.
We believe it’s best if you ignore such scams. If you’re short on cash, check out our list of the best VPNs with a free trial.
What else can I do with a VPN?
We’ve written this article to show how it’s possible to access your usual Crunchyroll library from anywhere in the world, but that’s not the only thing a paid subscription to a VPN has to offer.
For instance, you can use a VPN's location-spoofing abilities to securely log into services that might be suspicious about foreign login attempts, like online banking services. Simply choose a server in your home country and never worry about getting temporarily locked out again.
VPNs spoof your identity and make host websites assume you’re located somewhere else. When you select a server in the United States, all websites you visit will now assume you’re physically present there. This means you'll be able to securely stream all of your usual services while on vacation abroad.
We recommend you use a VPN for everyday web browsing as well. The software encrypts all the traffic flowing through your device - this is useful in the world we live today where individual privacy is increasingly under threat and governments and ISPs resort to lurid means to hack into user data. VPNs will allay these threats to a significant degree.
Is Crunchyroll free?
Yes, you can watch most Crunchyroll content for free! However, it’s worth knowing that watching for free means lower resolution streams as well as ads. If you don’t like the sound of that, there are various Premium Plans to choose from. These offer multiple benefits including no ads, unlimited access to the entire Crunchyroll library, and new episodes just one hour after their Japanese premiere.
What is the best anime on Crunchyroll?
Crunchyroll offers hundreds of anime shows and it’s obviously a matter of opinion as to which is the best. However, some animes prove to be much more popular than others. With this in mind, here’s a short list of what we feel is the best anime on Crunchyroll:
- My Hero Academia
- Demon Slayer
- Attack on Titan
- Yuru Camp
- My Dress Up Darling
- The Ancient Magus' Bride
- Fullmetal Alchemist
- Fire Force
- Hunter x Hunter
Will a VPN slow my Crunchyroll streaming?
Not necessarily! If you choose a quality paid VPN, you’re unlikely to notice a difference in speed. This is especially the case if your ISP is engaging in bandwidth throttling. The best VPNs offer fast servers as well as unlimited bandwidth. This means you can stream as much as you like without having to worry about performance issues such as lag or buffering. Remember, the closer the server to your location, the faster speeds are likely to be.
Can I use a VPN to unblock a premium Crunchyroll subscription?
Aside from the free version (which includes ads), Crunchyroll offers various premium plans. No matter the subscription type, content is subject to geographic restrictions. As such, it may not be available in your location. However, you can unblock Crunchyroll content from abroad with a VPN. Note that a VPN won’t automatically unblock a subscription tier. You’ll only be able to access a premium Crunchyroll subscription if you’re already paying for one.
Is it legal to watch Crunchyroll with a VPN?
Yes. There is nothing illegal about streaming your Crunchyroll account from abroad. You are a paying subscriber and you have every right to want to use the service you pay for, even if you happen to be traveling abroad for a short time.
That said, it is important to remember that using a VPN to access a streaming service like Crunchyroll in an unlicensed region is technically against the Terms of Service.
This is why streaming providers block as many VPNs as possible. And is why you must stick to a VPN provider that knows how to sidestep VPN blocks if you want to have regular access to Crunchyroll.
Please note that nothing in this guide should be considered legal advice, and we do recommend that you do your own research, check local laws, and read the terms of service before using a VPN to access services or content that are restricted in your current location.
Can Crunchyroll tell if I’m using a VPN?
Not exactly! Crunchyroll is like many streaming services in that it strives to adhere to copyright and licensing laws. For this reason, it may blacklist certain IP addresses if it believes they belong to VPNs (and are thus being used to bypass geographic restrictions). However, the best VPNs for Crunchyroll have IP addresses that remain unblocked. This means you can use some VPNs with Crunchyroll without the platform knowing about it.
Why does Crunchyroll ban VPN users?
It’s highly unlikely that Crunchyroll will ban you from using its platform just because you used a VPN to access it. Instead, you’re more likely to find that your IP address becomes blacklisted. You would then connect to a different server to change your IP address to continue accessing content as normal. Regardless, Crunchyroll has implemented such measures because it doesn’t hold the rights to show certain content in every country. By preventing the use of VPNs, it ensures the content can only be accessed in the appropriate locations.