Regardless of your location, be it Costa Rica or abroad, you’ve likely come across region-locked online content. This is especially common with streaming services and news sites, for example. In order to get around such geographic restrictions, you’ll need to spoof your location by changing your IP address. You can quickly and easily do this with a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Connecting to a VPN server provides you with a different IP address. This makes it look as if you’re browsing from another location entirely. For example, connecting to a server in Costa Rica gives you an IP address for Costa Rica. You can then access geo-blocked content from this country even if you’re not really there. It’s also worth adding that changing your IP address makes it harder to track you, providing you with a greater level of online privacy and anonymity.
Want to know all about the best VPNs for Costa Rica? We explore all of them in greater detail later on in this article. First, here’s a quick summary of each:
Best VPNs for Costa Rica:
- ExpressVPN: The best VPN for Costa Rica. Fast and reliable servers. Unblocks Costa Rica TV as well as Netflix. Secure with high-end encryption and offers 24/7 live chat support.
- NordVPN: Best value VPN. 5,000 servers worldwide Unlimited bandwidth for streaming Costa Rica TV abroad. No-logs service with 24/7 support and Double VPN servers.
- Surfshark: Unlimited simultaneous connections as well as unlimited bandwidth. Offers 24/7 support and user-friendly apps. Strong security with Double VPN servers.
- CyberGhost: A dozen servers in Costa Rica. Unlimited bandwidth and unblocks Netflix US. Has a strict no-logs policy and allows seven simultaneous connections.
- IPVanish: Good speeds for streaming and lets you connect as many devices as you want at once. Provides 24/7 support and keeps you secure with its zero-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Fast servers in Costa Rica. User-friendly apps and live chat support. Unblocks Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Secures your data with high-end encryption.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 80 countries including Costa Rica. Unlimited bandwidth and 24/7 support. Works with Amazon Prime and Hulu. Variety of security features.
When it comes to VPNs, there are many factors to consider. Some VPNs are far too slow for browsing, let alone streaming. Others may lack features or fail to provide adequate privacy protection. To save you some time, we found the best VPNs for Costa Rica by ensuring they met the following requirements:
- Servers across dozens of countries including Costa Rica
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for browsing and streaming
- High level of security with encryption and a no-logs policy
- User-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Multiple simultaneous connections per account
- Customer support available via live chat and email
Best VPNs for Costa Rica
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Costa Rica:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers in an impressive 94 countries worldwide. This includes Costa Rica. Aside from having a large server network, it offers very fast speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth. This makes it highly suitable for streaming and torrenting (which you can do without restriction). When it comes to unblocking geo-restricted content, ExpressVPN is very strong. For instance, you’ll be able to use it with Costa Rica TV and streaming services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
With an ExpressVPN account, you’ll have access to a variety of user-friendly apps and browser extensions. You can use these to connect up to five devices simultaneously. This is a highly secure service that offers 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. ExpressVPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands where there are no data retention requirements and accordingly, doesn’t store any data that could identify you. Live chat and email support is available 24/7.
You can access ExpressVPN servers via the apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and Linux. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. Furthermore, custom firmware is available for routers.
ExpressVPN tops our list as the all-round best VPN.
- Impressive network of servers in 94 countries, Costa Rica included
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming
- Unblocks Costa Rica TV channels as well as Netflix
- Excellent, beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile
- Highly secure service thanks to its use of high-end encryption
- Live chat and email support is available 24/7
- One of the more expensive VPNs on the market
BEST VPN FOR COSTA RICA:ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers in 94 countries including Costa Rica. Unblocks Netflix and Costa Rica TV channels such as Canal 13. Easy to use and includes 24/7 support. Highly secure service with encryption. You can try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is one of the larger VPN providers around. It has approximately 5,000 servers in nearly 60 countries including Costa Rica. Unlimited bandwidth is available so you can browse and stream without having to worry about issues such as buffering or lag. This VPN is a reliable option for unblocking websites and services around the world. Indeed, it works well with Netflix as well as Amazon Prime Video and Disney+.
If you decide to connect to a server outside Costa Rica, you’ll have the choice of various specialty options. For example, NordVPN offers P2P-optimized servers. There’s even Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers for improved privacy protection. This is a no-logs service with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. You can use NordVPN to connect up to six devices at once while 24/7 support is also available.
Connect to servers in Costa Rica and abroad with NordVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. You can also use Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. However, use with routers requires manual installation.
- Over 5,000 servers for unblocking content worldwide
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming Costa Rica TV abroad
- Strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers for your security
- Includes 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Connect up to six devices at once per account
- Some servers can be a little slow
BEST VALUE VPN:NordVPN has a large network of over 5,000 servers. Offers unlimited bandwidth and allows up to six simultaneous connections. No-logs service with 24/7 support and highly secure with encryption and Double VPN servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark lets you connect as many devices as you want simultaneously. This is great if you’re planning on sharing your VPN with family. With it, you’ll be able to access around 1,700 servers in dozens of countries including Costa Rica and the United States. Speeds are consistently high enough for uninterrupted browsing and streaming. You can use Surfshark to unblock Netflix, plus you’ll also have access to MultiHop servers for an extra layer of security.
This VPN service offers 24/7 support via live chat and email. There are plenty of security features too, all of which serve to protect your privacy. For starters, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch feature, and DNS leak protection. Surfshark operates a strict no-logs policy while its CleanWeb feature blocks ads, trackers, and malware. It’s a particularly beginner-friendly VPN, providing a variety of apps and browser extensions that are simple to navigate.
With a Surfshark subscription, you’ll be able to download apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. You’ll also find browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Surfshark can be used with routers but manual setup is necessary.
- Servers in over 60 countries including Costa Rica
- Connect as many devices as you want per account
- Works well with
- Very strong security thanks to a no-logs policy and Double VPN
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Not as large a server network as ExpressVPN and NordVPN
HIGHLY SECURE:Surfshark unblocks stubborn services both in Costa Rica and abroad, Netflix included. Unlimited bandwidth for streaming. 24/7 support. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Security includes a no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more servers than any other VPN on this list. Indeed, it offers a dozen servers in Costa Rica, making it easy for you to access any region-locked content from the country. As a whole, this VPN has a very large network of more than 6,000 servers which are located in 90 countries. Another advantage of CyberGhost is its high-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth, allowing for lag and buffer-free streaming, even at high resolutions.
If you have multiple internet-connected devices, you’ll be happy to learn that CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections. Better still, thanks to this VPN’s strong focus on security, you can rest easy knowing that your activities are private. It includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch. There’s also a strict no-logs policy so you can be sure that your personal information only stays with you.
Get an IP address for Costa Rica with CyberGhost’s apps for the following platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. Manual configuration is required for use with routers.
- Huge network of over 6,000 servers in 90 countries
- Very fast speeds for streaming without lag or buffering
- Unblocks Costa Rica TV channels as well as Netflix US
- Secures your data with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Use it to connect up to seven devices simultaneously
- May be less suitable for power users
OVER 6,000 SERVERS:CyberGhost has servers in 94 countries including Costa Rica. Very fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth. Lets you connect seven devices at once. Also offers 24/7 support and has a strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has fast and reliable servers in San Jose, Costa Rica. This forms a small part of its network, as it has approximately 1,500 servers in dozens of countries around the world. Speeds are more than fast enough for browsing and streaming 1080p video, and to sweeten the deal even further, IPVanish offers unlimited bandwidth with absolutely no throttling. When it comes to connecting multiple devices, IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
It’s worth knowing that this service has a zero-logs policy and keeps you safe online through its use of 256-bit AES encryption. Further security features include DNS leak protection and a kill switch which cuts your internet traffic should the VPN connection drop. Live chat support is available 24/7 should you have any questions while each IPVanish plan includes SugarSync cloud storage.
IPVanish provides apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) as well as mobile (Android and iOS). There’s also an app for Amazon Fire TV while routers can be configured manually.
- Fast and reliable servers in San Jose, Costa Rica
- Allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- Protects privacy with its zero-logs policy
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- Plans include cloud storage with SugarSync
- Headquartered in US — a Five Eyes alliance member
- Doesn’t offer browser extensions
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish allows unlimited simultaneous connections and offers reliable servers in Costa Rica and abroad. Live chat support is available 24/7. Keeps your data secure with encryption and a zero-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN offers very fast servers which let you browse and stream without interruption. Indeed, with no bandwidth limits, you’re unlikely to experience lag or buffering while streaming. This VPN has servers in several dozen countries including in San Jose, Costa Rica. Aside from unblocking Costa Rica TV such as Canal 13, PrivateVPN works consistently with streaming services including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and HBO.
If it’s your first VPN, you’ll appreciate how easy PrivateVPN is to use. You can contact live chat support 22 hours per day while there’s also the option of remote help and installation. PrivateVPN states that it has a zero data-logging policy and doesn’t know what its users are doing online. This VPN has a high level of security with features including 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. There’s also a stealth mode for bypassing even the strictest online blocking.
With PrivateVPN, you’ll have access to its apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. Manual configuration is required for use with compatible routers.
- Very fast speeds for browsing and streaming
- Unblocks streaming services such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps
- Use it to connect up to six devices at once
- Only offers a total of 150 servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
CONSISTENT UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer and more. Fast servers in dozens of countries such as Costa Rica. Easy-to-use desktop and mobile apps. Connect six devices simultaneously. Includes encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has more than 3,000 servers across 80 countries, Costa Rica included. In particular, it’s worth knowing that it has servers in over two dozen US cities which makes it a great choice for unblocking the likes of Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. Another reason to consider Hotspot Shield is for its good speeds and consistent connections. There’s no throttling so you can stream and torrent as much as you like.
This VPN includes 24/7 support via live chat and lets you connect up to five devices at once per account. When it comes to security, it protects you with 256-bit AES encryption and doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified. There’s also DNS leak protection and a kill switch feature. All of these features serve to secure your data, even if you’re using public WiFi when there’s increased risk of data theft and malware attacks.
To connect to a Hotspot Shield server, download one of the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS. Alternatively, there’s a browser extension for Chrome. Linux and routers can be configured manually.
- Network of 3,000 servers in 80 countries including Costa Rica
- Use it to stream Amazon Prime Video and Hulu abroad
- Live chat support is available 24/7
- States it doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users
- Questionable track record when it comes to privacy
- No browser extension for Firefox
NO THROTTLING:Hotspot Shield has unlimited bandwidth and unblocks the likes of Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. Network of over 3,000 servers in 80 countries. Protects your privacy by not storing identifying logs. Offers 24/7 support. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
How to use a VPN in Costa Rica
While you shouldn’t have any issues using a VPN in Costa Rica, we’ve provided some step-by-step instructions to make the process even smoother:
Here’s how to set up a VPN in Costa Rica:
- First, you’ll need to sign up with a VPN service. We particularly recommend ExpressVPN.
- The next step is to download and install the appropriate VPN app (or browser extension) for your device.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in Costa Rica or, if you prefer, another country such as the United States.
- You now have a new IP address which should allow you to unblock geo-restricted content abroad.
- Still having trouble? You may need to clear your browser’s cache and cookies. Alternatively, contact your VPN’s customer support for further assistance.
TRY A PAID VPN FREE: Not sure you need a VPN subscription beyond a few weeks? You may wish to take advantage of ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. While an upfront payment is required, you’ll have 30 days to request a full refund if at all unsatisfied.
Best VPNs for Costa Rica: FAQs
⭐Why do I need a VPN in Costa Rica?
The main reason you might want to use a VPN in Costa Rica is to access geo-blocked websites and services from abroad. For example, you might want to unblock the US version of Netflix. By connecting to a server in another country and getting a new, temporary IP address, you can bypass geographic restrictions. Another reason to use a VPN in Costa Rica is to avoid the bandwidth throttling of ISPs. With unlimited bandwidth, you’ll be able to browse and stream without restriction.
It may be that you want to use a VPN in Costa Rica for reasons related to security and online privacy. For instance, maybe you want to access your online banking service but don’t trust the public wifi hotspot you’re using. By using a different IP address that isn’t tied to your identity and physical location, you can browse the web anonymously. The best VPNs for Costa Rica use encryption and offer a no-logs policy. As such, it’s much harder for your data to fall into the wrong hands, be it to hackers or snoopers.
⭐Can I use a free VPN for Costa Rica?
The majority of free VPNs have a very limited number of servers. Indeed, most free VPNs don’t offer servers in Costa Rica. Those that do tend to be far too slow for activities such as streaming and torrenting. With very few IP addresses to go around, IP addresses are quickly blacklisted, making it difficult to access the more difficult-to-unblock content such as that of streaming services.
However, it’s not just performance that’s cause for concern. When you use a VPN, you should also be looking at security. For example, does the VPN encrypt your data and protect you from leaks? It’s important to know that some free VPNs make money by logging and selling your data -- this includes your browsing history. All in all, we don’t recommend free VPNs because they’re simply too slow, poor at unblocking, and generally lacking security. You're much better off choosing a low-cost reputable VPN provider.
⭐What Costa Rica TV can I watch with a VPN?
Using a VPN to get a Costa Rica IP address means you can watch Costa Rica TV abroad. Some of the channels you can stream by connecting to a server in Costa Rica include Canal 13, Canal 7, and Extra TV 42. As such, you’ll be able to watch Costa Rica TV shows such as Buen Día, Quién quiere ser millonario?, and Supermodel Centroamérica.
- 1 Best VPNs for Costa Rica
- 2 1. ExpressVPN
- 3 2. NordVPN
- 4 3. Surfshark
- 5 4. CyberGhost
- 6 5. IPVanish
- 7 6. PrivateVPN
- 8 7. Hotspot Shield
- 9 How to use a VPN in Costa Rica
- 10 Best VPNs for Costa Rica: FAQs
- 11 Why do I need a VPN in Costa Rica?
- 12 Can I use a free VPN for Costa Rica?
- 13 What Costa Rica TV can I watch with a VPN?