Geo-blocking isn’t uncommon, particularly when it comes to streaming services. It may be that you’re trying to watch a different version of Netflix. Or you may even be trying to read an international news article. Whatever the case, geographic restrictions can be frustrating. Fortunately, you can access most online content with the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN). We’ll explore the best VPNs for Hungary so you can take advantage of this.
Websites and services identify your location through your IP address. However, by connecting to a VPN server, you can spoof your location and make it look as if you’re browsing from elsewhere. For example, if you’re in Hungary, you might want to connect to a server in the US. This will get you a US IP address, allowing you to unblock US websites and services such as Netflix from abroad.
In a rush to find out the best VPNs for Hungary? Below is a short summary of each (although we cover all of them in more detail later on).
Best VPNs for Hungary:
- ExpressVPN: The best VPN for Hungary. Fast speeds and servers in 94 countries. Unblocks RTL Klub and Netflix. Includes 24/7 support and is secure with high-end encryption.
- NordVPN: Best value VPN. A dozen servers in Hungary. Unlimited bandwidth for streaming Netflix and Hungarian TV. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support and Double VPN servers.
- Surfshark: Strong unblocking ability. Works with RTL Klub and TV2. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Highly secure with a strict no-logs policy. 24/7 live chat support.
- CyberGhost: Impressive network of over 6,000 servers in 90 countries. Very fast speeds. Unblocks Netflix US. 24/7 support. Operates a strict no-logs policy for your privacy.
- IPVanish: Connect as many devices as you want at once. Good speeds for streaming RTL Klub and Netflix. Secures data with encryption and a zero-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Small network of very fast servers. Unlimited bandwidth and works with Hungarian TV as well as Netflix. Beginner-friendly apps and strong overall security.
- Hotspot Shield: 3,000 servers in 80 countries including Hungary. Good speeds and 24/7 live chat support. Security features include high-end encryption and a kill switch.
Some VPNs are better than others. For instance, choosing the wrong service could see you struggling with slow speeds or a lack of privacy. In order to find the best VPNs for Hungary, we looked for those that are able to offer the following:
- Servers in dozens of countries including Hungary
- Fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Able to unblock popular streaming services
- Secure with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile
- Money-back guarantee so you can try risk-free
Best VPNs for Hungary
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Hungary:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN lets you unblock geo-restricted content not only in Hungary, but a further 93 countries around the world. With over 3,000 servers, it’s more than equipped to help you access a wide range of websites and services. For instance, it unblocks Netflix and BBC iPlayer as well as Hungarian TV channels such as RTL Klub and TV2. Furthermore, its servers are very fast and with unlimited bandwidth you’ll experience little to no lag or buffering.
If you sign up with ExpressVPN, you’ll be able to connect up to five of your devices at the same time. This ensures maximum security as ExpressVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption as well as a kill switch and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. You can be sure that your privacy is protected because ExpressVPN doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users. Furthermore, it provides excellent customer support which is accessible 24/7 via live chat and email.
To use ExpressVPN, connect to one of its apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, or iOS. You also have the option of Chrome and Firefox browser extensions while custom firmware is available for routers.
- Network of 3,000 servers in 94 countries worldwide
- Reliable unblocking — works with RTL Klub, TV2, and Netflix
- Very fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming
- High level of security with encryption and kill switch feature
- Live chat and email support is available 24/7
- One of the more expensive VPNs available
BEST VPN FOR HUNGARY:ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Very fast speeds as well as reliable unblocking. Works with Netflix and RTL Klub. Offers 24/7 support via live chat. Secures your data with encryption. Try it risk-free thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN offers well over a dozen servers in Hungary, easily allowing you to unblock a host of geo-restricted content from the country. What’s more, this VPN has some 5,000 servers in nearly 60 countries so you can use it to access websites and services in the US, UK, and more. Its Hungarian servers are P2P-friendly. Further, NordVPN doesn’t throttle your connection, so you’ll be able to stream the likes of RTL Klub and Netflix without interruption.
With NordVPN, you have access to live chat support 24/7 should you have any difficulties. You’ll also be able to connect up to six devices simultaneously with a single subscription. This is a no-logs service that uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch to keep you safe. Better still, another layer of security is available when you connect to NordVPN’s Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers.
You can use NordVPN via its apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. An app is also available for Android TV while browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. Manual setup is necessary for use with routers.
- Over a dozen servers in Hungary and some 5,000 globally
- Unlimited bandwidth for fast streaming and torrenting
- Provides 24/7 support via live chat
- Operates a strict no-logs policy that protects your privacy
- Lets you connect up to six devices simultaneously
- Occasionally slow servers speeds
BEST VALUE VPN: NordVPN has over 5,000 servers including more than a dozen in Hungary. Unlimited bandwidth for streaming Netflix and Hungarian TV. 24/7 live chat support. Secure with a strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark lets you connect as many devices as you want simultaneously. Its server network covers over 60 countries including Hungary. What’s more, with unlimited bandwidth, users can browse and stream without restriction. When it comes to streaming, Surfshark is a particularly good option due to its reliable unblocking of services including Netflix and Disney+, as well as Hungarian TV channels such as TV2 and Duna.
With Surfshark, you can browse the web anonymously. It’s headquartered in the British Virgin Islands where there are no mandatory data retention laws. Aside from its strict no-logs policy, Surfshark offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. There’s even a built-in ad-blocker and malware-scanner. If you still require an extra layer of security, all you need to do is connect to Surfshark’s MultiHop (Double VPN) servers. Live chat support is available 24/7.
Connect to a server in Hungary or abroad with Surfshark’s apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. Compatible routers can be configured manually.
- Servers in dozens of countries, Hungary included
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Use it to stream the likes of Netflix and Disney+ abroad
- Lots of security features — includes Double VPN servers
- Knowledgable 24/7 support via live chat
- Smaller network than some rival VPNs (ExpressVPN, NordVPN)
HIGHLY SECURE:Surfshark unblocks many popular streaming services including Netflix. Servers across dozens of countries. Connect an unlimited number of devices at once. 24/7 support and secure with a no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers more than 20 servers in Hungary and over 6,000 servers worldwide. This impressive network spans 90 countries and as such, you can use this VPN to unblock content from all around the world. CyberGhost works particularly well with US streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Best of all, with consistently high speeds and unlimited bandwidth, there’s no need to worry about lag, stuttering, or buffering.
If you sign up with CyberGhost, you’ll have access to live chat support, 24/7. This VPN has very strong security, as evidenced by its strict no-logs policy and use of 256-bit AES encryption. It’s worth knowing that it lets you connect up to seven devices at once. Further security features include DNS and IPv6 leak protection and an automatic kill switch. CyberGhost offers independently operated servers that are isolated from third party interference.
Browse and stream with CyberGhost by downloading an app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. You can even manually install this service on supported wireless routers.
- 6,000 servers in 90 countries including over 20 in Hungary
- High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth
- Use it to secure as many as seven devices at once
- Keeps you safe online through encryption and a no-logs policy
- 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
VERY FAST SPEEDS:CyberGhost has two dozen servers in Hungary. Over 6,000 servers across 90 countries. High-speed servers and unblocks Netflix US. Very strong security thanks to its strict no-logs policy and independently operated servers. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has established itself as a reliable choice for browsing and streaming. Servers are available in dozens of countries — this includes four servers in Budapest, Hungary. Thanks to unlimited bandwidth, connections are as fast as they are consistent. If you’re traveling outside Hungary, you can use IPVanish to stream RTL Klub. You’ll also be able to access Netflix US from abroad.
One of the standout features of IPVanish is that you can enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections per account. When you secure a device, it’s protected with 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. IPVanish has a zero-logs policy which lets you stay anonymous online. If you have any questions, live chat support is available to you 24/7.
Secure all of your devices with the IPVanish apps for desktop (Windows and Mac), mobile (Android and iOS), and Amazon Fire TV. If you’d like to use IPVanish with Linux or your router, you’ll need to set this up manually.
- Fast, consistent connections for streaming without lag or buffering
- Secure as many devices as you want simultaneously
- Zero-logs policy means your personal data stays private
- Includes 24/7 support via live chat
- Headquartered in the US — a member of Five Eyes
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish allows for unlimited simultaneous connections. Fast servers and unlimited bandwidth. Unblock RTL Klub and TV2. Includes 24/7 support and protects your privacy with its zero-logs policy and encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a provider with very fast servers as well as unlimited bandwidth. This means that it’s ideal for more data-intensive activities such as streaming. It’s also P2P-friendly, making it suitable for torrenting. Overall, it has around 150 servers in 60 countries including Hungary. Its servers allow you to unblock Netflix, BBC, iPlayer, HBO, and more. With a single account, you’ll be able to use PrivateVPN to connect up to six devices simultaneously.
This is one of the more beginner-friendly VPNs we’ve used, with apps that are particularly quick and easy to navigate. It also helps that live chat support is available (22 hours per day) plus there’s also free remote help and installation. 256-bit AES encryption secures your internet traffic and you’re also protected from DNS leaks. Aside from a kill switch, PrivateVPN protects your online privacy with a no-logs policy.
PrivateVPN apps are available for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. In order to use PrivateVPN with your router, you’ll need to follow manual setup instructions.
- Ideal for streaming thanks to fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Stream Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hungarian TV from abroad
- Very easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile operating systems
- Uses encryption to secure internet traffic from hackers and snoopers
- Small network of only 150 servers
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
LAG-FREE STREAMING:PrivateVPN has fast servers for streaming Netflix and BBC iPlayer without lag or buffering. Easy-to-use apps for beginners. Live chat support and allows up to six connections at once. Includes no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield is a service that lets you access region-locked content all over the world. That’s because it has more than 3,000 servers in 80 countries. This includes servers in Hungary for streaming Hungarian TV channels such as RTL Klub and TV2. With good, consistent speeds and unlimited bandwidth, you can stream in 1080p HD, lag and buffering-free. You’ll also be able to use this VPN to watch the likes of Amazon Prime Video and Hulu abroad.
Using Hotspot Shield ensures your data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption, securing it from hackers, snoopers, and the like. There’s also DNS leak protection and a kill switch. It’s worth knowing that Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified. You can use its apps to secure as many as five devices simultaneously. A paid subscription also ensures you have access to 24/7 support via live chat.
Signing up with Hotspot Shield means you’ll be able to download apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Alternatively, you have the option of a Chrome browser extension. Linux and routers are compatible with manual configuration.
- Large network of over 3,000 servers in 80 countries
- Works with Hungarian TV channels such as RTL Klub and TV2
- Offers 24/7 support via live chat
- Doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified
- Not the best reputation when it comes to privacy
- Doesn’t offer a Firefox browser extension as yet
UNBLOCK HUNGARIAN TV:Hotspot Shield provides over 3,000 servers in 80 countries. Works with RTL Klub, TV2, and Duna. Offers 24/7 support via live chat and allows up to five simultaneous connections. Security includes encryption. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
How to use a VPN in Hungary
Not sure how to go about using a VPN? You might be surprised by how quick and easy setup can be. Simply follow our step-by-step guide to save some time.
Here’s how to use a VPN in Hungary:
- The first step is to sign up with a VPN provider that offers servers in Hungary as well as abroad. We particularly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Next, you’ll need to download and install the appropriate VPN app (or browser extension) for your device.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in the country from which you’d like to access region-locked content. For example, Hungary or the USA.
- Navigate to the website or service you’re trying to access. The content should now be unblocked.
- Having trouble? Try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies. It may also be worth connecting to another server. Alternatively, contact your VPN’s customer support.
TRY A PAID VPN FREE: Not quite ready to commit to a VPN subscription long-term? The good news is that ExpressVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll need to make an upfront payment but then have 30 days to request a refund. This makes it a risk-free way to try out a paid VPN for free.
Best VPNs for Hungary: FAQs
⭐Why do I need a VPN in Hungary?
There are a number of reasons why you might need to use a VPN in Hungary. One of the most common is to access geo-blocked content. Streaming services such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+ are all region-locked due to copyright and licensing restrictions. If you’re on holiday in Hungary, you may find that you can’t access your online banking account as the foreign login may be flagged in an effort to prevent fraud.
According to the Freedom on the Net 2019 report by Freedom House, restrictions on online content in Hungary are rare. However, you may still wish to use a VPN in Hungary to improve your security and privacy as a whole. In particular, having your data encrypted and protected with a strict no-logs policy means you can browse the web anonymously. This is particularly important when connecting to public WiFi hotspots which pose a number of risks such as identity theft.
⭐Can I use a free VPN for Hungary?
Some free VPNs offer servers in Hungary though these are few and far between. If you connect to one of these servers, you’ll likely notice that it’s extremely slow, with excessive amounts of lag and buffering. This is because free VPNs tend to have more users than their limited networks can support, hence why they so frequently throttle bandwidth. Another disadvantage is that the average free VPN is inconsistent at unblocking and will struggle with the likes of Netflix.
It’s also important to keep in mind that free VPNs rarely offer sufficient security. For example, some don’t even encrypt your data. To make money, free VPNs may spam you with ads. Another possibility is that your browsing data is logged and sold to the highest bidder. Needless to say, the poor performance and inferior security of free VPNs means they’re best avoided. Instead, take a look at the best VPNs for Hungary recommended above in this post.
⭐What Hungarian TV can I watch with a VPN?
With a VPN for Hungary, you can continue watching your favorite Hungarian TV channels including RTL Klub, TV2, and Duna. Indeed, getting a Hungarian IP address to watch these channels means you’ll be able to stream Hungarian TV shows such as the following:
- Hungarian Folk Tales
- Barátok közt
- Jóban Rosszban
- Való Világ
- Showder Klub
- Áll az alku
- Hungary's Next Top Model