Interested in streaming HBO Nordic while traveling abroad? You’ll need to change your IP address to either Norway, Sweden, or Denmark first. We’ll show you how to do that with a VPN and the best ones for the purpose.
HBO Nordic is available either as a standalone streaming service or via logging in with a compliant cable provider. If you try to log in with a foreign IP address, you’ll be greeted with the following message:
“Sorry your HBO subscription is not available in this region. Please select Refresh below to view HBO when you return to the service region.”
The best way to overcome geo-restrictions is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). While HBO makes it clear that using a VPN will still result in problems accessing your account, we’ve found no problems logging on to the service with ExpressVPN.
How do VPNs make this happen? They encrypt your internet connection and route all traffic via a server in a location of your choice. So if you choose a Norwegian server, your real IP address will be flipped with a Norwegian one. Plus, the encryption factor stops your ISP and any other snoopers from monitoring your digital footprint.
How do I stream HBO Nordic with a VPN?
Follow the steps below to stream HBO Nordic with a VPN. Note that, in order to sign in, you must have an existing account or a local credit card to make a new one.
Here’s how to watch HBO Nordic online with a VPN:
- Register and pay for a VPN (our recommendation is ExpressVPN).
- Once your payment is successfully authenticated, proceed to download the relevant apps for your device directly from the provider’s site or an app marketplace.
- Select a server in the country of account registration. So if you signed up from Sweden, select a Swedish server.
- Click connect and wait until the connection is established. Navigate to HBO Nordic’s website and log in.
- You should now be able to stream all the content you want. If it doesn’t work immediately, just clear your browser cookies (this removes old location identifiers) and try again.
If you don’t want to read the whole article, here are our 6 recommended VPNs for unblocking HBO Nordic when abroad:
Best VPNs to watch HBO Nordic
- ExpressVPN: Our top choice to access HBO Nordic. Military-grade encryption, fast speeds, and consistent customer support.
- NordVPN: Leak-proof connections and robust encryption mean accessing HBO Nordic is a breeze.
- CyberGhost: One of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested and ships with excellent capabilities to unblock geo-restricted content.
- Surfshark: Lots of simultaneous connections and superior unblocking capabilities.
- IPVanish: Can flip your IP address for a new one intermittently. Doesn’t store any logs.
- PrivateVPN: Up-and-coming service that does its job very well. Fast speeds, impressive ability to unblock content, and an internet kill switch.
We’ve based our list of the top VPNs to unblock HBO Nordic on the following factors:
- Fast and stable connection
- Ability to stream HD video
- Servers in the Nordic region
- Ability to work across all popular platforms – iOS, Android, MacOS, and Windows
- Strong encryption so your location is hidden
- Provision for simultaneous connections with one account
Best VPNs to watch HBO Nordic online
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for HBO Nordic:
ExpressVPN is our top choice to access HBO Nordic from anywhere. That’s due to the fact that this provider offers blazing fast speeds, easy-to-use apps, and a sizeable server network that spans the globe.
It operates over 3,000 servers, including lots of options in Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. It unblocks HBO Nordic along with other popular streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and Fox.
The company’s registration in the British Virgin Islands means it’s not required by law to store any data. Hence your digital footprint is covered. No user-identifying logs are retained on servers, except for minor information like time of connection and popular servers.
ExpressVPN deploys world-class encryption standards. Specifically, the service uses 256-bit AES encryption which is also referred to as ‘military-grade.’ Additional security features include an internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy.
Apps for both Android and iOS are available, as are desktop clients for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. You can configure ExpressVPN to work with some wifi routers and one account allows five devices to connect simultaneously.
- One of the best all-around VPNs
- Solid privacy and security
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- 24-hour live chat support, 7 days a week
- Excellent multi-platform support
- Slightly more expensive than other providers
BEST VPN FOR HBO NORDIC:ExpressVPN is our top choice for HBO Nordic as it offers excellent unblocking abilities, fast speeds, and robust encryption. Try it risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of ExpressVPN.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
NordVPN has one of the largest server networks among all the VPN providers on this list — over 5,000 options across 60 countries. All the Nordic countries are extensively covered, so accessing HBO Nordic should be a breeze.
What’s more, this provider’s use of top-tier encryption protocols results in a virtually unhackable connection. It follows it up with a ‘no-logs’ policy so you’re protected from a privacy angle. Specifically, you’re covered with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an internet kill switch.
NordVPN works with a number of streaming providers including US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more. It enables you to stream HD video without any noticeable buffering — users are given the option to select servers optimized for specific tasks such as double encryption, streaming, or P2P filesharing.
Apps for both Android and iOS are available, along with desktop clients for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. A single subscription grants access to six devices simultaneously.
- Offers secure, encrypted connections at all times
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-locked sites
- 24/7 live chat support on offer
- Personal data is protected as it keeps no logs
- The desktop app can be awkward to use, needs updating
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN is fast, consistent, and unblocks HBO Nordic. Plus, it’s available at a price that’s hard to beat. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Save 75% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
CyberGhost is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested and scores points on privacy, too. Users will be satisfied as it delivers the full package: robust encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an internet kill switch. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to set up and get used to and user experience is optimized for beginners.
At the time of writing, CyberGhost has more than 3,600 servers online in 60 countries. Sweden, Norway, and Denmark are all included. Other than HBO Nordic, CyberGhost reliably unblocks Netflix US, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
This provider offers unlimited bandwidth and protects all internet traffic with the 256-bit AES encryption protocol. Additional security measures include DNS leak protection, an internet kill switch, anti-malware defense, and an ad-blocker.
Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS are included. One paid account grants simultaneous access to seven devices, so it’s possible to share with friends and family. Customer support is available around the clock.
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Use up to seven devices simultaneously
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Scored very highly in our speed testing
- Less suitable for power users
SOLID ALL-ROUNDER:CyberGhost is fast, secure, and primed for streaming and unblocking geo-restricted content. It ships with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
Surfshark is a relatively new entrant in the VPN world, but it’s quickly making a name for itself. This provider is inexpensive and ships with all the bells and whistles of a well-engineered VPN with high speeds and uncrackable encryption.
It currently has over 800 servers in 50 countries, with Sweden, Norway, and Denmark included. Unblocking HBO Nordic should be a breeze — this provider is also able to access US Netflix.
Users are extended unlimited data streaming and no bandwidth restrictions. Privacy comes in the form of 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. There’s a ‘no-logs’ policy in place.
One of Surfsharks’ most compelling features is that it allows an unlimited number of devices to connect with one plan.
Apps are available for MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android.
- Kill switch on all platforms
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Decent, reliable speeds
- A relatively small server network
RELIABLE VPN:Surfshark is fast, secure, and performs admirably from a streaming standpoint. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
IPVanish is known in the VPN industry for its superior location-evading tech. It owns and operates all of its servers — 1,200 spread across 60 countries — which gives it firm control over all user traffic. The industry standard, by the way, is to either rent space in server farms or outsource operations to a third-party vendor.
IPVanish has several options spread across Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. Other than HBO Nordic, it’s able to reliably unblock HBO Now, Sling TV, and BBC iPlayer.
IPVanish is another ‘no-logs’ provider — it refrains from storing any data that could potentially identify a user.
This provider is popular with Kodi users. It enables them to download the Android APK directly to their device, and the interface is remote control-friendly for Kodi devices that typically don’t offer a keyboard and mouse.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS, and there’s desktop software for Windows and MacOS. One account allows for 10 simultaneous connections.
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Completely logless service won’t compromise your privacy
- Can’t pay with cryptocurrency
VERSATILE:IPVanish guarantees you a secure, private connection along with fast speeds. It ships with a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year planGET DEAL
PrivateVPN is headquartered in Sweden and offers several server options for the Nordic countries. It focuses on quality rather than quantity — don’t be dissuaded by its smaller server network because the service performs very well from both a speed and privacy angle.
At the moment, PrivateVPN offers over 100 servers in 60 countries. The service is easy to set up and ships with intuitive, well-designed apps. Security features are top-notch and include 256-bit AES encryption, an internet kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. It doesn’t store any user logs on its servers.
Unblocking geo-restricted streaming sites is this provider’s forte. Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video are all dealt with easily.
Apps are available for all the major platforms — Android, Windows, iOS, and MacOS. Customer support isn’t around the clock but is friendly and helpful. A single account allows six devices to connect simultaneously.
- Very fast speeds
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Zero-logs provider
- A small number of servers to choose from
- Support staff only operate during European business hours
EXCELLENT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN is fast, stable, and optimized for streaming. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Should I use a free VPN to access HBO Nordic?
It’s possible that you’ve come across free VPN services during the course of your research. We understand they’re a tempting option because you don’t need a credit card to sign up, but there’s no such thing as a free lunch.
Free VPNs aren’t optimized for speed and security the way paid services are. They will only give you a choice of a few server locations with no guarantee of inclusion for any of the Nordic countries. Plus, free VPNs are in the business of accepting far more users than their servers can support, so expect bandwidth throttling, network congestion, and non-existent customer support.
To make things worse, lots of free providers have been caught tracking and stealing user data in order to sell to third-party advertisers. After all, they do need to make money to pay for staff salaries and other overheads.
Your best bet to access HBO Nordic without any issues is to rely on a provider that uses best-in-class privacy and security standards. Customer support is also recommended for an avenue to discuss problems if they arise. Free providers fail on both fronts and offer a migraine-inducing user experience.
It’s in your best interests to use a paid VPN to reliably stream HBO Nordic.
What content can I stream on HBO Nordic?
HBO Nordic has all the popular HBO content. This means you can stream:
…and much more.
Streaming HBO Nordic on Android Box, Apple TV, Playstation, Chromecast, and other devices
Other than PCs, Macs, iOS devices, and Android devices, HBO Nordic is also compatible with Apple TV, Android TV, PlayStation, Chromecast and some smart TV apps. It also has its own Android and iOS app.
There are no native VPN apps for these devices, so you can’t simply download software and proceed to connect to a Nordic server. But there are ways around this problem.
One way to set up a compliant VPN is to use a virtual router. That’s when you use a PC equipped with a wifi card to transmit wifi signals — akin to how you can use smartphones to set up wifi hotspots.
You can also set up a VPN on a physical router if the firmware supports it.
One such firmware is DD-WRT, a free and open-source option that works on a wide range of router models. Paid VPN providers offer tutorials on how you can set up their apps on routers; you can check with individual sites and customer support for more detail.
- 1 How do I stream HBO Nordic with a VPN?
- 2 Best VPNs to watch HBO Nordic online
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 5 2. NordVPN
- 6 Save 75% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 7 3. CyberGhost
- 8 Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year plan
- 9 4. Surfshark
- 10 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 11 5. IPVanish
- 12 Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year plan
- 13 6. PrivateVPN
- 14 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 15 Should I use a free VPN to access HBO Nordic?
- 16 What content can I stream on HBO Nordic?
- 17 Streaming HBO Nordic on Android Box, Apple TV, Playstation, Chromecast, and other devices