Chromecast is one of the most popular digital media devices for streaming a wide range of online channels to your TV. Unfortunately, many of those channels are geo-locked. Some live streams may also be subject to blackout restrictions that block users from watching sports and other events if they live within a certain region. A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, can bypass these geographic restrictions and let you watch your favorite streaming channels from anywhere in the world.
A VPN encrypts all of a device’s internet traffic and routes it through an intermediary server in a remote location of your choosing. In giving you a new IP address to mask your real one, it disguises your location. This allows you to bypass the aforementioned restrictions regardless of where you are in the world — great if you regularly travel abroad and want to continue watching your usual home content.
In this article, we’ll list the best VPNs to use for Chromecast. We’ll also talk you through how to use them as well as answer some common VPN questions. We’ll review each of the VPNs in detail, but in case you’re short on time, here’s a quick summary.
The best VPNs for Chromecast:
- NordVPN: Our top VPN for Chromecast. Offers multiple ways of working with Chromecast. Unblocks many popular streaming sites with good speeds. Strong security. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN option for Chromecast. A speedy, security-conscious VPN with beginner-friendly apps and fantastic unblocking capabilities.
- ExpressVPN: Step-by-step tutorials for Chromecast setup. Unblocks a huge selection of geo-restricted streaming sites from around the globe. Fast speeds and high-grade security.
- CyberGhost: Easy-to-use apps make this a great VPN choice for beginners. Some of the fastest servers we’ve tested for streaming.
- PrivateVPN: Extensive support and tutorials to get Chromecast set up. Good streaming speeds and unblocking capabilities.
- Private Internet Access: Strong security features, outstanding connection speeds, and a no-logs policy.
- Atlas VPN: Excellent unblocking capabilities and zero connection limits. Wealth of security features including a malware and tracker blocker.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR CHROMECAST RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Chromecast without limits or restrictions for a month – great if you want to access content from abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Setting up a Chromecast VPN
Before we go into detail on the different VPNs you can use with Chromecast, we’re going to briefly explain your choices when setting up a Chromecast VPN.
Here are your options if you want to use a VPN with Chromecast:
- Set up a VPN on a virtual router
- Set up a VPN on your physical router
Wondering why you can’t simply use a VPN app? Chromecast devices don’t support VPNs. Even if you managed to root the device, setting this up would be difficult. Smart DNS proxies, which often substitute for VPNs, aren’t supported, either.
For this reason, we recommend setting up your VPN on a wifi router, then connecting your Chromecast to that router. This will route all of the internet traffic from the Chromecast through the VPN server, allowing you to unblock geo-locked streams. Don’t worry if this sounds complicated, we’ll explain step-by-step how to do this later in the article.
Best VPNs for Chromecast – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Chromecast.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||PrivateVPN||Private Internet Access||AtlasVPN|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||PrivateVPN.com||PrivateInternetAccess.com||atlasvpn.com||Ranking for Chromecast:||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||73 Mbps||100+ Mbps||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||7000+||200+||Undisclosed||1000+||Activity logs||None||None||No identifying data||No identifying data||None||No logs stored|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE up to 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months free
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 500GB cloud storage solution
SAVE 85% on a 2 year plan and get three months free
The Best VPNs for Chromecast
There are plenty of VPN providers on the market, but they don’t all provide the same level of service. In order to find the best VPNs for Chromecast, we tested VPNs across the following criteria:
- Size and reliability of the server network
- Router support
- Security and privacy protocols
- Customer service
- Value for money
Later on in this article, you can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs that we recommend. For now, let’s take a closer look at the ones that made the list.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Chromecast:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top recommended VPN for Chromecast. It’s a trusted and reliable VPN provider with an online knowledge base that includes a huge selection of tutorials for setting up your VPN on almost every type of compatible router. You can also purchase pre-flashed routers that are already configured with NordVPN’s servers through FlashRouters, a NordVPN affiliate. Those typically use either Tomato or DD-WRT firmware.
All your data is protected with 256-bit AES military-grade encryption, and NordVPN keeps no logs such as your IP address. You can also expect protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks as well as a kill switch feature. With some 5,000+ servers in 60 countries, it’s easy to find a speedy connection. Some servers are specialized for additional security, stability, and fast downloads. NordVPN lists Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer among the many channels it works with.
NordVPN allows six simultaneous connections, and apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
- Can be configured directly onto some wifi routers. Pre-configured routers are also available
- Wide network of reliable global servers
- Trusted provider that doesn’t skimp on privacy and security
- Speeds are fast enough for HD streaming
- Easy-to-use apps for all major platforms
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Desktop app could do with updating
BEST VPN FOR CHROMECAST:NordVPN is our first choice VPN. A solid, security-conscious option that works well with Chromecast. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. Also works well with most popular streaming services and achieves consistently good speeds. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is able to access all kinds of services, including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video. It has more than 3,000 servers available in 100 countries — more locations than most VPNs on the market. Better still, its website provides detailed setup instructions for a wide range of routers. If this is a little too involved, you can also purchase a pre-configured Surfshark router from Flashrouters.
Unlike many other VPNs, it allows an unlimited number of connections by default, so it’s great for sharing. User traffic is secured using 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Just as important, Surfshark doesn’t keep any logs whatsoever. If you’d like, you can even choose to pay in Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Ripple for added anonymity.
Surfshark offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Note that Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available to download.
- Can be manually installed on a wide range of routers
- Fast enough for uninterrupted browsing and streaming
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Very strong on security and privacy
- No-logs policy
- Expensive one month plans
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is great value, easy to set up, and highly secure. Able to unblock a huge number of geo-blocked services. With good speeds, no connection limit, and a strict no-logs policy, there’s certainly a lot to like here. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN operates over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. It works with Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Max among others. The website has tutorials specifically for setting up a VPN with Chromecast. If you don’t want to go through the trouble of configuring a router, ExpressVPN has you covered: the company makes the hands-down best pre-configured, VPN-enabled routers in the game.
This VPN provider makes its own router firmware which you can either download and install on your own router (if compatible) for free, or you can purchase a pre-configured router that’s already set up for you. The company keeps no logs of your IP address or traffic contents, and all connections are protected with 256-bit AES encryption and perfect forward secrecy.
While ExpressVPN lets you have up to five simultaneous connections at a time, a router only counts as one device. Apps are also available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions can be found for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
- Can install at the router level for Smart TVs
- Super fast servers can unblock almost any streaming service
- Server speeds are great for HD streaming and fast downloads
- Encrypts all traffic to prevent ISP snooping and throttling
- Knowledgable customer support available 24/7
- Slightly more expensive than other providers
- Less suitable for those who need control over advanced settings
STRONG ALL ROUNDER:ExpressVPN is a pleasure to use. It has a vast network of servers that is fine-tuned for high-speed connections. User-friendly apps for all operating systems. Strong privacy and security. 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost operates a massive network of over 9,000 servers in 90+ countries. It works with Netflix US, BBC iPlayer and Sling TV, among many other streaming channels. The fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth means you can stream lag-free. Setup tutorials are available on the website for DD-WRT and Tomato wifi routers. Pre-configured DD-WRT routers are available through FlashRouters.
256-bit AES encryption and perfect forward secrecy keep your data inside the VPN tunnel. CyberGhost offers protection from DNS leaks, has a kill switch feature, and even offers Windows users an antivirus. The Romania-based company keeps no logs of users’ activity or IP addresses. Customers can connect up to seven devices at a time and, if you have any questions, live chat support is available 24 hours a day.
Secure up to seven devices simultaneously via CyberGhost apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. A free Chrome extension is also offered.
- Direct router configuration available
- Our tests revealed above-average HD streaming speeds
- Happily unblocks a host of geo-restricted content
- Apps are easy to install and use
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Lack of customizable features
- Doesn’t work reliably in China
BEGINNERS CHOICE:CyberGhost is great for newcomers. An easy-to-use option that works well with Chromecast. Huge network of over 9,000 servers. Stores no internet activity logs and streams HD video reliably. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network of servers than others on this list, but it keeps pace with the big players when it comes to speed, privacy, and unblocking. You’ll get access to Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Sling TV, and more. No pre-configured routers are available, but PrivateVPN has several tutorials for setting up OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec connections for the most popular router firmware.
If you’re struggling to set it up, PrivateVPN offers free remote help and installation. You can connect up to ten devices at one time. It operates a strict no-logs policy and doesn’t even keep connection logs like some other VPN services. Security-wise, you can expect 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
PrivateVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. To use this VPN service with Linux, manual configuration is required.
- Ability to unblock many popular streaming platforms
- Can be configured to work with a home wifi router
- Above-average streaming speeds in testing
- Privacy and security are top-notch
- Small number of servers to choose from
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good streaming choice. Works well with Chromecast and allows up to 10 devices on the same account. Small server count but fast with powerful unblocking. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access is an excellent option for use with Chromecast, offering over thousands of servers in 80+ countries. PIA operates from the US with servers in dozens of US cities that allow access to Hulu and Netflix US without hassle. Due to its large server network to avoid traffic congestion, unlimited bandwidth, and the introduction of WireGuard, streaming Chromecast with PIA is easy.
If advanced security features are your thing, PIA lets you control the level of encryption applied to your VPN connection, which can positively impact connection performance. It includes a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and military-grade encryption. It offers unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can use Chromecast on several devices simultaneously.
Apps are available on almost any platform you can think of, including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are available
- Can access a good range of streaming content
- Unlimited simultaneous connections per account
- Good speeds with the use of WireGuard
- Unable to bypass censorship in China
- Desktop app could be easier to navigate
ADVANCED CUSTOMIZATION:PIA has a huge network of servers in 80+ countries, an unlimited simultaneous device limit, and allows encryption-level tweaking. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is an excellent choice for Chromecast due to its lightning-fast servers placed in 40+ locations worldwide. Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, and Amazon Prime Video are just some of the streaming platforms known to work with Atlas VPN. Combine this unblocking ability with its fast servers thanks to its use of WireGuard, and you’re in for a pretty impressive Chromecast experience.
When you sign up with Atlas VPN, you can benefit from its use of AES encryption. It also provides DNS leak protection and a kill switch. Unlike many free VPNs, this no-logs VPN even has MultiHop servers and a malware and tracker blocker. Furthermore, its endless connection limit is excellent for splitting costs with friends and family. The apps are easy to use even for beginners but 24/7 support is available via live chat.
Download Atlas VPN for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. However, it doesn’t support routers and there aren’t any browser extensions either.
- Works with many major streaming services
- No limit to the number of devices you can connect simultaneously
- Lots of security extras including MultiHop servers
- No support for routers
- Relatively small number of servers
ALL-ROUND PERFORMER:AtlasVPN has apps for all major platforms and an unlimited connection limit. It offers top-grade security and fast connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee lets you try before committing long-term.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Chromecast VPN testing methodology
We understand it can be frustrating trying to find a VPN that’s not only easy to use with Chromecast, but works well. Comparitech aims to publish the most useful and accurate VPN recommendations and reviews on the web. When it comes to finding the best Chromecast VPNs, our extensive testing involved looking for the following:
- Router support: Chromecast doesn’t support VPNs or DNS proxies, so setting up a VPN on a router and connecting the Chromecast to it is the next best thing. We recommend VPNs with router apps or at least detailed configuration guides for popular firmware.
- Streaming: Chromecasts are streaming devices, so if you want to use a VPN with one, chances are you want to unblock region-locked streaming content. We use real-world tests to find out which VPNs can unblock popular streaming services from around the world.
- Speed: If you want to stream in high quality without buffering, you need a fast connection. We measure and record connection speeds to VPN servers located around the globe to find the fastest VPNs on the market.
- Security: Every VPN we recommend uses effectively uncrackable encryption. We also test for a range of data leaks to ensure your data never leaves the encrypted tunnel.
- Customer support: Our reviewers contact each VPN’s customer support as secret shoppers to gauge the quality of responses and measure response times. Ideally, we expect a VPN to offer live chat and email support, preferably 24/7.
- Server network: Chromecasts can use streaming apps from all over the world, but most of them are restricted to specific countries. Having a larger server network that spans more locations gives you more international viewing options.
- Value for money: Not all VPNs are suitable for use with Chomecast, be it due to slow speeds or poor content unblocking. Fortunately, we’ve found the best VPNs for Chromecast that also offer great value for money. We’ve included discount coupons and each VPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee (except CyberGhost which offers 45 days).
This is just a condensed summary of how we rate and test VPNs. Find the full version on our methodology page.
How to set up a Chromecast VPN on a router
Once signed up for a VPN, you have a couple of options to connect your Chromecast to it: a virtual router or a physical router. We talk you through the process for each here.
How to set up a Chromecast VPN using a virtual router
This first option is easier and more accessible to most people: a virtual router. This will create a wifi hotspot that broadcasts from a laptop. Any device you connect to the wifi hotspot will have its internet traffic routed through the VPN server.
The main downside to this method is that you have to keep a laptop nearby and running whenever you want to use your Chromecast with the VPN. On the plus side, it’s free and fairly easy to set up. All you need is a laptop with the ability to create a hotspot, or virtual router, which most laptop models do have these days.
If you’re a PC user, check out our tutorial on how to set up a VPN-enabled virtual router on Windows. And if you have a Mac, see our guide on how to set up a VPN-enabled wifi hotspot on macOS.
Once you’ve configured the virtual router, go into your Chromecast wifi settings to connect to the new network.
How to set up a Chromecast VPN on a wifi router
The second option requires a bit more tech-savvy and a compatible router but doesn’t require you to keep a spare laptop around. By configuring a VPN connection on your home wifi router, any devices that connect to it can be tunneled through the VPN, including your Chromecast.
To do this, you’ll need a physical router with firmware that supports VPN connections. Cheap routers probably won’t cut it—even if they have VPN support, the resources necessary to encrypt and decrypt all of the traffic can seriously impact performance.
If your router firmware doesn’t support VPNs, but you think it’s powerful enough to handle the job, run a search for the make and model to see if it’s compatible with a free and open-source firmware, like DD-WRT or Tomato. You can replace your router’s stock firmware with one of these, but bear in mind that the process of doing so, called “flashing”, can permanently damage your router if not done properly.
If that sounds too intimidating, consider purchasing a pre-flashed router that comes already configured with all of your VPN provider’s servers. This is a more expensive route, but it will save you a lot of time and hassle. ExpressVPN is known for making the best VPN-focused router firmware in the business. The company’s pre-flashed routers cost a pretty penny but are easy to use and work great. You can even get the firmware for free to use on your existing router if it’s compatible, but you’ll need an ExpressVPN subscription.
FlashRouters is a third-party affiliate to many of the VPNs we recommended above. They sell DD-WRT and Tomato routers pre-configured for the VPN provider of your choice. These aren’t as nice as ExpressVPN’s firmware, but they certainly get the job done.
Once you have a VPN subscription and compatible router in hand, check your VPN provider’s website for instructions on how to get set up. Because router firmware varies so much, there’s no one broad set of instructions for all of them, but your VPN provider should be able to help in the way of a knowledge base or customer support.
Now that you’ve configured the router, go into your Chromecast wifi settings to connect to the new network.
Chromecast VPN FAQs
Can I use a free VPN with Chromecast?
Using a free VPN with your Chromecast is generally a bad idea. Free VPNs often use shifty tactics to make money, such as harvesting your traffic data for personal details, injecting tracking cookies into web browsers, and inserting ads onto web pages. If you install a free VPN on your router to use with Chromecast, it could put all the devices connected to that router at risk.
In any case, most free VPNs require you to use their apps and not configure connections manually, so, in most cases, router setup is not even an option. There won’t be any support to help you get set up. Free VPNs also implement data caps and bandwidth restrictions that can interrupt whatever you’re doing online.
It’s worth it to pay a few dollars a month to get the performance and support you need to use VPN with Chromecast.
Is it legal to use a VPN with Chromecast?
Yes, it is legal to use a VPN with Chromecast. However, some countries like China and Russia prohibit the use of a VPN, so it is important to check with your local laws and regulations before setting up a VPN on Chromecast.
Why should I use a VPN for Chromecast?
One of the main reasons to use a VPN for Chromecast is to bypass geo-blocking. In connecting to a server in another country and changing your IP address, you can spoof your location and unblock geo-restricted streaming services.
Another reason to use a VPN with Chromecast is to protect your online privacy. By hiding your real IP address (and thus your approximate location), you can browse and stream privately — your ISP and other snoopers won’t be able to see what you’re streaming.