Music streaming platform Spotify is one of the most popular apps in the world, offering a repository of content that’s almost unrivaled in its scale. However, despite a global brand name and an extremely tight-knit community, Spotify isn’t accessible in every country. To enjoy the full Spotify experience from everywhere, you’ll need to change your IP address with a VPN
Short for Virtual Private Networks, VPNs mask your true location by encrypting all the traffic flowing to and from your device and tunneling it via an intermediary server in a location of your choice. This means if you choose a location in which Spotify is available, such as the US, you’ll be able to access the app from anywhere in the world. As a bonus, VPNs keep your online activities private and prevent nosy ISPs or government agencies from figuring out what you’re doing on the web.
Below, we’ll explain how to use a VPN to unblock Spotify from anywhere, plus we’ll list the best VPNs for the job. We’ll go into more detail about each of them later, but in case you don’t have time to read the whole post, here’s a quick summary.
The best VPNs for Spotify:
- NordVPN: Our first choice VPN for Spotify! A veteran provider that works well with Spotify. Excellent speeds for streaming and strong privacy and security. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee for a risk-free trial.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Spotify.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN provider for Spotify and Spotify Premium. A reliable service known for its extensive security features. Has fast speeds, excellent unblocking, and allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: Thousands of superfast servers dotted around the globe that can unblock and stream Spotify in good quality without interruptions. 24/7 live customer support.
- CyberGhost: Ideal VPN for beginners. Easy-to-use apps that are simple to install. Over 9,000 servers in 90+ countries. Tests revealed impressive streaming speeds.
- IPVanish: Favored by Kodi users. Fast servers in the US work with Spotify. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections with a single account.
- PrivateVPN: Fast speeds and servers in 60+ countries. Works well with Spotify, Netflix, and more. 24/7 support and the option to pay in Bitcoin.
- Private Internet Access: More than fast enough for streaming Spotify music and HD video. Connect unlimited devices at once. No-logs VPN with servers in 80+ countries.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Spotify with no restrictions for a month—great if you just need to unblock the platform for a short time, for example, while on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to download Spotify abroad with a VPN
If you’re traveling and want to download Spotify on your devices, you may need the help of a VPN. Below we’ll explain how to set up a VPN and download Spotify from abroad.
Here’s how to download Spotify from anywhere with a VPN:
- Pick a VPN provider, we recommend NordVPN because it is fast, secure, and works with every TV and music streaming service we have ever tested it with.
- Download and install the VPN app that’s compatible with the device via which you stream Spotify. All of the VPNs listed allow at least five simultaneous connections.
- Open the VPN app, log in, and select a server in a country where Spotify works, such as the US, UK, or Canada.
- Once the connection is established, open Spotify and use it like you normally would to stream all your favorite music!
How we found the top Spotify VPNs
Finding the right VPN out of the hundreds on the market can be a time-consuming and expensive business. To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of the best VPN services that work with Spotify flawlessly based on the following criteria:
- Speed and stability of service
- Large server network across the world, including plenty in locations where Spotify is unblocked
- Strong encryption parameters so your location remains hidden
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Provision for multiple simultaneous connections
- Ease of use
This is just an overview, but you can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs we recommend in our methodology section below.
Best VPNs for Spotify: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Spotify.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||IPVanish||PrivateVPN||Private Internet Access|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||PrivateInternetAccess.com||Ranking for Spotify:||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||Streaming Services||Netflix|
|Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||73 Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%||70%||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||7000+||2,200+||200+||Undisclosed|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 69% + 3 months FREE
Save 86% + Get 3 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months free
SAVE 81% on the 2 yr plan + 3 FREE months
SAVE 90% on the three year plan
SAVE 83% on the 3 yr plan + + 4 FREE months
The best VPNs for Spotify
Before recommending any VPN, we at Comparitech put them through a rigorous testing process to ensure they’re up to your requirements. The following reviews are the results of our first-hand tests. Let’s take a look.
Here’s our list of the top VPNs for Spotify:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for Spotify. The provider offers a bunch of customizable options and servers designed to cater to specific aspects of your browsing experience. Other than these snazzy features, NordVPN delivers speed, stability, and ease of use in an affordable package.
We don’t think authorities will be scrambling to uncover your personal details as long as you’re using a VPN to access Spotify, Netflix, Hulu, and other popular services – but it’s still prudent to remain protected. NordVPN encrypts traffic via 256-bit AES and 2,048-bit DH keys. DNS leak protection is enabled. A single subscription grants access to six simultaneously connected devices.
The provider doesn’t skimp on the server network, either. Users have over 5,500 servers to pick from spread across 60+ countries. As we mentioned before, it’s possible to choose one based on your preference, such as torrenting, anti-DDoS, video streaming, or ultra-secure privacy.
Apps for both Android and iOS are available, as well as a desktop client for Windows, Linux, and MacOS.
- Operates 5,500 servers in 60+ countries
- A veteran provider with an impeccable reputation for privacy
- Fast enough speeds to stream HD content without interruptions
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux, and Android
- Support staff are helpful and knowledgeable
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Desktop app can be awkward to use, could do with a design refresh
BEST VPN FOR SPOTIFY:NordVPN is our top choice. Unblocks Spotify and most other popular streaming services. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. Great on privacy and security. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has a network of 3,200+ servers spanning over 100 countries. As such, it’s already a good choice for accessing Spotify and Spotify Premium while on vacation. That’s not all, though; this service also works with platforms like Netflix US and Amazon Prime Video. One of its standout features is that, unlike most other VPNs, Surfshark has no connection limit.
WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leak protection are enabled by default, as is 256-bit encryption. Security-conscious users can activate a kill switch and split tunneling feature, as well as an automatic ad-blocker and malware scanner. Surfshark has a no-logs policy, so once connected, you’re effectively untraceable. There is the option to pay in cryptocurrency if you’d like, though. Should you run into any trouble, customer support is on hand over live chat, 24/7.
Surfshark offers apps for MacOS, Linux, Windows, Android, and iOS devices. It also works with select wireless routers but must be manually installed.
- Excellent unblocking capabilities
- Puts user security first
- Fast enough for uninterrupted streaming
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Ocasional slow server
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a great value service that has no issues accessing Spotify and Netflix abroad. Better yet, it includes advanced features that all but guarantee a private internet connection. There’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN seamlessly combines military-grade encryption protocols with a fast, efficient product. The app is easy to set up and comes with a minimalist, functional design that works without any glitches.
There’s a wide selection of servers to choose from. Over 3.000 servers are spread across 94 countries. When you log in, the app will also suggest a ‘smart location,’ which is a server that ExpressVPN feels is best suited for you based on where you’re connecting from.
Encryption standards are among the best in the business keeping your online activities secure from prying eyes. The company leverages OpenVPN with 256-bit AES as default. 4,096-bit DHE-RSA keys are identified by a SHA-512 hashing algorithm.
Privacy enthusiasts will be pleased to know that the provider retains the bare minimum of data. Some of the details it records are the servers that users connect to and the dates they log on. Individual IP addresses are not recorded. For additional security, the provider also includes a ‘network lock’ that temporarily blocks internet access if the connection unexpectedly drops.
A single subscription grants access to five devices at the same time. Apps for both Android and iOS are available, as well as desktop clients for Linux, Windows, and MacOS.
- Over 3,000 super-fast servers operating in over 94 countries
- Super fast connections with no bandwidth or data restrictions
- High-grade encryption, security, and privacy throughout
- Connect up to 8 devices at the same time
- 24/7 live chat support
- Advanced configuration for power users is a little limited
- A little pricier than its rivals
LISTEN ANYWHERE:ExpressVPN is a trustworthy, secure service with high speeds and powerful privacy features. Great at unblocking any TV and music streaming service. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost’s choice of encryption standards is top-tier. It uses 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, along with 2,048-bit RSA keys and SHA256 authentication. An internet kill switch is included.
CyberGhost operates around 9,000 servers at the time of writing, spread across locations in 90+ countries. So, unblocking Spotify should be pretty straightforward.
The premium version grants seven simultaneous connections on a single plan. The company supports both Android and iOS, and there’s native software for Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- Operates around 9,000 servers around the globe in 90+ countries
- Easy-to-use Android and iOS apps
- Some of the fastest streaming servers we’ve tested
- Keeps no user activity logs and provides strong encryption to bypass activity detection
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
- Could offer more control over advanced features
EASY TO USE:CyberGhost is great for beginners. Great privacy, zero logs, and DNS leak protection. Unblocks Spotify, Spotify Premium, and most popular video streaming sites. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish satisfies all the requirements when it comes to a fast VPN that doesn’t cost a ton of cash and ships with rigid encryption standards. It’ll do its job efficiently with little to no lag during your Spotify music playback.
IPVanish doesn’t store any data logs at all. The provider can be referred to as a completely logless VPN. It’s almost impossible for your activity to be traced back to you because even network administrators at the company have no information about what you’re doing on the web.
An internet kill switch is included, which halts all internet traffic in the event that the VPN connection drops. As for encryption standards, IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy. The latter feature means that even if your account is compromised, all past web sessions will remain encrypted and out of reach from nosy hackers.
There’s an option to choose between 2,000 servers spread across over 75 locations worldwide. IPVanish allows unlimited devices, which is very generous and makes it highly affordable if you were to split the cost among friends.
Apps for both Android and iOS, as well as desktop software for Windows and MacOS, are available. Many users find it an excellent option for Kodi because it allows them to download the Android APK directly to their device. The interface is also remote control friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse.
- Operates a network of more than 2,000 servers from 75 city locations around the globe
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Impressive speeds
- Preferred by Kodi and Firestick TV for its remote-friendly apps
- Apps don’t work in China
- Customer support is a little slow
SECURE ALL OF YOUR DEVICES:IPVanish is great for families and multiple connections. Easy to use with Spotify. Preferred by users who need high standards of online security. Can’t unblock as many video streaming services as some of its rivals. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a network that’s only made up of approximately 200 servers, but these can be found in over 60 countries globally. The fast, unthrottled connections of PrivateVPN are highly suitable for streaming both music and video, and this VPN lets you access Netflix.
This is arguably one of the easiest VPNs to use, thanks to the streamlined interface of PrivateVPN’s desktop and mobile apps. Live chat and email support are available to help (email response times are far quicker than most VPNs we’ve tested), as is free remote help and installation. As for security, you can expect 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. This is a no-logs service that even lets you pay anonymously in Bitcoin.
You can use PrivateVPN with Spotify by downloading an app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, or Android TV. To use this VPN with Linux or your wireless router, you’ll need to configure this manually.
- Very fast server speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Privacy protection with a no-logs policy and option to pay in Bitcoin
- Smaller network of just 200 servers
- Live chat support isn’t 24/7
FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a fast and reliable VPN service. Use it to access Spotify, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer and others. Beginner-friendly VPN with very strong security. Encrypts data and protects privacy with a no-logs policy. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access will help you unblock Spotify and use it from any location. It has a server network covering some 84 countries at the time of writing. This makes it very easy to access not only Spotify but also the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer. This VPN offers multiple protocol options, including WireGuard. This option is particularly speed-friendly, making it ideal for music and video streaming.
You don’t need to worry about your data or online activities being exposed when you connect to a Private Internet Access server. It uses 256-bit AES encryption and also offers features such as DNS leak protection and a kill switch. It’s also worth knowing that there’s a true no-logs policy in that not even connection logs are kept. PIA also provides you with an unlimited connection allowance.
PIA has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. You’ll also have the option of browser extensions (available for Chrome, Firefox, and Opera). Last but not least, it’s possible to manually set PIA up with a router.
- Works well with Spotify as well as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Servers are available in 84 countries, including the US and UK
- Connect unlimited devices at the same time
- Unable to bypass the Great Firewall of China
- Slightly cluttered app UI
NO LOGS VPN:Private Internet Access successfully unblocks Spotify and has servers in 84 countries globally. Good, consistent connection speeds and strong privacy protection with its no-logs policy. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Using a free VPN to unblock Spotify
It’s tempting to opt for a free VPN, especially if you’ve already paid for a Spotify Premium account, because there’s no additional upfront payment.
But free VPNs are vastly inferior to paid options. For smooth, uninterrupted audio playback, you’ll need a VPN that doesn’t impose things like bandwidth throttling or data caps. These are common with free options, which also tend to have too many users for their limited number of servers.
Remember that free VPNs aren’t truly free. They monetize by making you the product: inundating you with advertisements and, in some cases, inserting tracking cookies in your browser to mine browsing data and sell it to third-party sites.
Finding the best VPNs for Spotify: our methodology
Every VPN is different, and while this means that there’s a service for every situation, it also makes it tricky for newcomers to decide which one to use. That’s where we come in: we’ve carefully considered the most important things a VPN should offer for accessing Spotify and Spotify Premium from anywhere. Below are some of the criteria we used to find the best providers:
- Server locations: Spotify isn’t available everywhere, so the VPN you choose needs to have servers in locations where it is unrestricted, such as the US. Also, since nearby servers usually provide the best performance, we look for VPNs with networks that cover lots of countries.
- Speed: We have to ensure that your VPN is fast enough for anything you throw at it, whether that’s listening to music, live streaming TV, or torrenting. We’ve speed-tested dozens of VPNs and will only ever recommend the best performers.
- Unblocking capabilities: Spotify might not be the only service from back home you’d like to access, which is why we look for VPNs that excel at beating regional blocking across a range of sites and platforms. We test VPNs against platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max to see which can reliably access the most content.
- Security and privacy: At a minimum, we look for DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, a no-logs policy, and 256-bit encryption. Naturally, we prefer providers that go even further to protect your traffic from snoopers, and we won’t recommend any that fall short.
- Price: Just because a VPN provides all these features, it shouldn’t cost the earth. All of the services we recommend are fairly priced, and we’ll always inform you about any deals, free trials, or money-back guarantees to reduce the amount you pay to the absolute minimum.
- User-friendliness: Staying safe online shouldn’t require massive tech experience. Our top VPNs all have novice-friendly apps for a wide range of devices. Further, they all have knowledgeable customer service on hand in case you need it.
This is just an overview of our testing process. If you want to know more, you can check out our in-depth post outlining Comparitech’s testing methodology.
Countries where Spotify is available
Currently, Spotify is available in the following countries:
|Asia Pacific||Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand.|
|Europe||Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom.|
|Latin America and the Caribbean||Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay.|
|The United States and Canada||Canada, United States.|
This might seem like a large list, but there are several countries with high levels of GDP/capita where it’s still not present such as India, China, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Russia, and others.
One of the reasons why Spotify isn’t available across the globe is because of music licensing rights. The company bids for rights from original copyright holders such as record labels and content producers. It also has rivals trying to do the same, which means there will invariably be some countries where Spotify won’t be able to operate.
Whenever you log in to Spotify, the app will try to determine your location via the IP address you use. If it’s from a country that’s not supported, then it’ll use a technique called geo-blocking to restrict access. The only way to overcome this problem is to change your IP address via a VPN.
Spotify also incorporates a separate library depending on what part of the world you log in from. This is similar to how Netflix operates – users in Latin America will be able to access a different library of content as compared to their North American counterparts.
When you log in to the Spotify app or website, your authentication details are saved for 14 days. It doesn’t matter if you travel abroad and access it from a separate country – you’ll still be able to access streaming music for that period. Afterward, you’ll have to log in again – at this point, Spotify will check whether you’re present in the same country as listed in your profile. If you’re not, a VPN can do the trick.
If you don’t try to mask your location, Spotify might ping you with the following error message:
“Your country does not match the one set in your profile.”
Spotify history and controversies
Spotify was first built in Stockholm, Sweden, by engineers Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon in 2005. It came about after Daniel slept over at Martin’s house on a bare mattress with just his laptop in tow. For the first year or so, the two of them slugged it out in an apartment, hacking away furiously at the product. Public beta didn’t come until spring 2007.
The company did start hitting its stride early, though. It was able to raise a $21.6 million series A round just a little over a year after the public beta launch. It went on to raise two more rounds, in 2009 and 2010 – snaring in rockstar investors such as Sean Parker to help the company grow.
A gargantuan $100 million series D round came in 2011, the same year that Spotify finally launched in the US. Mark Zuckerberg described himself as a fan of the company, famously proclaiming that “Spotify’s so good”.
In 2015, Spotify declared that it had paid out over $3 billion to artists to date and had 75 million active users. It’s doubled the active user figure in just two years.
But despite all these lofty standards, the company hasn’t exactly shied away from controversy. Artists on the platform earn less than one US cent per stream. Taylor Swift famously pulled all of her music in 2014 after complaining that streaming services like Spotify don’t reward artists enough and that music is a form of art that should be considered valuable.
In 2017 Spotify was also accused of creating fake artists. This is not to suggest that the music was composed by an AI platform, but more likely by artists paid and contracted by Spotify itself.
The move attracted a fair bit of controversy but isn’t far removed from a similar strategy at entertainment behemoth Netflix whose original entertainment division is now starting to become a massive force in its own right.
Spotify denied the assertions vigorously, although it could significantly reduce the amount of money it pays music right holders – which totaled $2.48 billion in 2016.
Spotify VPNs: FAQ
How do I download Spotify abroad with a VPN?
If you live in a country like Kenya or China, where Spotify isn’t available, you can still download the app. However, you’ll have to connect to a VPN beforehand and choose a VPN server in a country where Spotify is available. This changes your IP address so that when the Spotify website checks, it looks like you’re accessing it from within a supported country.
On the plus side, Spotify is now available in more than 80 countries, which means that most server locations should work. That said, for the fastest speeds, we recommend using ones that are as close to your physical location as possible.
Is it legal to use Spotify in countries where it’s blocked?
There is no law against using a VPN to access geo-restricted content from outside of its intended broadcast area. However, doing so (for instance, by using Spotify with a VPN while traveling in China) goes against Spotify’s user guidelines, which specifically forbid you from “circumventing any territorial restrictions applied by Spotify or it licensors”.
So what does this mean? Simply, even if Spotify finds out that you’re accessing it from a country where it’s normally unavailable (which is far from a given), you’re unlikely to face any repercussions. In fact, the worst that could happen is you’ll have your account terminated. This is already pretty unlikely, though, and even more so if you’re a Spotify Premium customer.
Why can’t I find Spotify in the app store?
If Spotify isn’t showing up in your preferred app store, it’s likely that you’re in a country where the service isn’t available. Don’t be tempted to grab the APK file directly from a third-party website; there’s no telling whether the app you’re installing is actually Spotify or even if it’s safe. Besides, the Spotify app checks your IP address to make sure you’re in a supported country, so even if you manage to install it, you’ll still need a VPN before you can listen to anything.
Here’s the solution: just connect to a VPN server in one of Spotify’s supported locations. This should change the apps available in your app store and allow you to use the service as normal from anywhere in the world.
What does Spotify mean with "this song is not currently available in your country or region"?
For a song to be available on Spotify, the rights holders (usually the record label) must agree to license the song for streaming. Some record labels only allow their songs to be streamed in certain countries or only allow their songs to be streamed by certain services (such as Spotify). So if a song is unavailable in your country, it’s most likely because the rights holders have not agreed to license it for streaming in your country. You can bypass these restrictions by using a VPN.
How does Spotify know if I'm using a VPN?
Spotify can detect VPN users by analyzing their IP addresses. If Spotify detects that the user’s IP address does not originate from an approved country or region, it may blacklist the detected IP address from using the service.
How do I change my country in a Spotify account?
Here are the steps if you have recently moved to another country and have a Spotify Premium account. It’s likely that your bank account/credit card details will change, and you would like to update the payment method.
Here’s how to change country on Spotify:
- Log into your account page on the Spotify website
- Select “Subscription” in the left panel
- Click “Update Details”
- Click “…” for more options
- Click “Change Country” and select the country you want to move your account to
- Choose a payment method that is based in the new country (i.e. the billing address is in the country)
- Confirm the change by clicking “Change Payment Details”
You can still continue to use your existing Spotify Premium account anywhere in the world if your previous payment details are still valid. Just don’t update your account details to your new address.