Going abroad but want to continue watching NHL.tv? Most streaming platforms only make their content accessible to user in certain countries and NHL.tv is no exception. While it’s available to stream in many countries, it may be that you travel abroad to a country in which you find content is region-locked. Alternatively, when you travel you may find the game you want to watch may be subject to blackout restrictions. Whatever the case, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can help you to access NHL.tv as if you were back home.
A VPN allows you to connect to servers all over the world. By doing so, you’re assigned a temporary IP address from the target country. This tricks sites into believing you’re located back home, and grants you access to your usual streaming services. VPNs aren’t just for streaming, though; they encrypt all of your data, allowing you to keep your activities private. When using a VPN, your traffic is unreadable by your Internet Service Provider, network administrators, and even hackers.
Want to get streaming right away? Here’s a quick summary of the best VPNs for watching NHL.tv (if you need any extra information, you can always return to our full reviews listed further down in this post):
- NordVPN: The best VPN for NHL.tv Large server network, fast speeds for live sports streaming, and a strict no-logs policy. Specialty servers and 24/7 support.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Growing network of servers and very fast speeds. Works with NHL.tv, Netflix, and more. MultiHop servers available. Excellent apps.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries including the US. High-speed servers for lag-free streaming of NHL.tv. Strong security and doesn’t keep identifying logs.
- CyberGhost: Huge network of 7,000+ servers. Absolutely no bandwidth throttling. Stream NHL.tv and even Netflix US. Secure up to seven devices.
- PrivateVPN: Ideal for streaming with its fast speeds and strong unblocking. User-friendly apps and strong privacy protection with option to pay in Bitcoin.
- Private Internet Access: Servers in 80+ countries. Good, consistent speeds for watching NHL.tv without delay. Allows up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- Atlas VPN: Very fast speeds and works with many streaming services. Unlimited simultaneous connections and packed with security features.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF THE TOP VPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for NHL.tv with no restrictions for a month—perfect if you need time to sufficient time to test it before making a commitment.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't a good fit and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
It’s vital that you choose the right VPN service, as each one is different. Some have more impact upon your network speeds, some offer a wider server network, and some focus primarily on advanced security options. To find the best VPNs for streaming NHL.tv (previously NHL Game Pass), we looked for services that met the following criteria:
- Numerous US servers
- Consistent, high-speed connections
- Strong encryption and a good range of high-quality security features
- Both desktop and mobile versions
Best VPNs for NHL.tv
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for NHL.tv so you can watch it from anywhere:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has such a large server network that few VPNs can compete with it. It has almost 2,000 servers in the US alone, and some are even optimized for streaming HD video. As such, it’s an excellent way to stream NHL.tv safely. Best of all, NordVPN, in addition to NHL TV, is able to unblock many similar services including ESPN, FOX Sports, and CBS All Access.
NordVPN offers experienced users several ways to create highly-customized security setups. It uses 256-bit AES encryption with DNS and IPv6 leak protection by default, but you can also choose to enable a program-specific kill switch, connect to Tor over VPN, or block ads and malware automatically. It logs no personally identifiable information and accepts Bitcoin payments, meaning you can stay as anonymous as possible.
This VPN has Android, Linux, iOS, Mac, and Windows apps. It works with selected internet routers too, although manual configuration is required.
- Excellent unblocking ability
- Fast and reliable downloading and streaming speeds
- Expansive server network
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Desktop app can take some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR NHL.TV:NordVPN is our first choice. A privacy-first service with some of the highest speeds around. Excels at unblocking stubborn streaming platforms. Best of all, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark sets itself apart from most VPNs with its ability to navigate restrictions on content. This is evidenced by the fact that it works with over 30 Netflix libraries — far more than most VPNs on the market. With Surfshark’s high-speed servers coupled with unlimited bandwidth, you can stream NHL.tv content live without having to worry about low resolution, lag, or buffering.
This VPN will certainly allow you to stream with security with its 256-bit AES encryption, kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. There are further security features that offer even greater protection such as an ad blocker and even MultiHop servers (providing an extra layer of encryption). Notably, Surfshark has a no-logs policy and offers fast and reliable customer support 24/7 via live chat and email.
Connect all of your devices at once via Surfshark’s apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. If you prefer, you can download a browser extension for Chrome or Firefox. Select routers can be configured manually.
- Strong unblocking — easily bypasses NHL.tv restrictions
- High-speed servers as well as unlimited bandwidth
- MultiHop servers provide an extra layer of encryption
- Quality customer support via live chat and email, 24/7
- Secure an unlimited number of devices at the same time
- Sometimes slow to connect to servers
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark is fast, has a rapidly growing server network, and lets you connect all of your devices at the same time. Works with many popular streaming platforms, NHL.tv included. MultiHop servers and no logs. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for people who like to stream thanks to its high-speed connections, expansive server network (3,000 servers, covering 94 different countries), and superior unblocking capability. In fact, ExpressVPN is one of the few remaining VPNs which can reliably access stubborn streaming platforms like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, so NHL TV shouldn’t pose much of an issue.
It boasts a series of robust security features including 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, and a kill switch that stops data transfer whenever you lose connection to the VPN. As ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, your activities cannot be traced back to you. This VPN also offers 24/7 support via live chat in case of any problems.
ExpressVPN offers user-friendly software for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions are available for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge while custom firmware is offered for routers.
- Fantastic speeds for downloading and streaming
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- Servers available in 94 countries including the US
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- A little more expensive than some rivals
QUICK AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is great for streaming thanks to its impressive speeds, wide network, and powerful security features. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 1,200 servers in the US alone, and over 7,000 in total, spread over 90+ countries. This allows you to easily access a huge range of geo-blocked platforms while traveling abroad. In fact, there are even specific servers designed to access services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
The good thing about this service is that despite its simple aesthetic, it’s very secure. Users can take advantage of its 256-bit encryption, kill switch, HTTPS redirection, ad-blocking, and anti-malware features to stay protected online at all times. CyberGhost doesn’t log any session or activity data, and protects against DNS, IPv6, and port-forwarding leaks, so you can rest assured your activities will remain private.
CyberGhost comes with apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS devices. Amazon Fire TV and Android TV apps are also available, as are Chrome and Firefox browser extensions.
- Huge network of high-speed servers
- Low-cost option with beginner-friendly apps
- Testing revealed impressive speeds for streaming
- Solid privacy and security features enabled by default
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Less suitable for users who need control over advanced functionality
HIGHLY SECURE:CyberGhost is an affordable service that punches well above its weight. Fast, easy to use, and more than capable of unblocking NHL.tv from abroad. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN may only have around a dozen servers in the US, but it provides faster speeds than many of its rivals. It’s fast enough to stream live video with no noticeable buffering or lag, and works with popular services like Netflix, the BBC iPlayer, and Hulu. Further, with six simultaneous connections allowed and strong multi-platform support, you can stream NHL matches to whichever device you prefer.
This VPN comes with 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks enabled by default. It has a strict no-logging policy, meaning your activities remain private at all times. PrivateVPN offers a live chat service and email support and the ability to remotely install the software for you if you’re having trouble.
This service has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices. It works with Linux and some routers, but must be installed manually.
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Our tests revealed impressive speeds
- Good range of security features
- Easy-to-use desktop and mobile apps
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Fairly small server network
LAG-FREE STREAMING:PrivateVPN is blazing fast and has no issues unblocking NHL.tv from outside of the US. With strong security and a true no-logs policy, there’s certainly a lot to like here. 30-day money-back guarantee,
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access is a strong all-rounder with thousands of servers spread across 80+ countries and good, consistent connections. With it, you’ll be able to continue watching NHL.tv while traveling abroad. It can also be used to stream Netflix US from overseas. While most VPNs allow up to a handful of connections, PIA stands out with its allowance of 10 devices per account.
Privacy-wise, PIA allows for anonymous browsing and streaming with its use of 256-bit AES encryption and no-logs policy. You’re further safeguarded with its kill switch and protection from DNS leaks. The apps make it quick and easy to connect to a server although live chat and email support are available should you encounter any issues.
With Private Internet Access, you have apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux as well as browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. This VPN can also be manually configured to work with compatible wireless routers.
- Unlimited bandwidth for seamless live sports streaming
- Connect up to 10 of your devices at the same time
- Keeps you safe with encryption and kill switch
- Provides live chat support should you need help
- Fails to unblock some streaming services
- Not the most reliable option for use in China
CONSISTENT CONNECTIONS:Private Internet Access is a reliable choice for streaming NHL.tv from anywhere. Consistent connections and includes important security features. Can be used on up to 10 devices simultaneously. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN stands out for its speed which is more than fast enough for streaming content in high definition and even 4K. Better still, you’ll be able to do so without interruption because there’s unlimited bandwidth. NHL.tv doesn’t pose a problem for Atlas VPN while it also easily accesses the likes of Netflix and ESPN+. It’s worth knowing that it also allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
Not only does Atlas VPN offer impressive speed, it also has a standout security offering. This of course includes 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. However, Atlas VPN even blocks ads, trackers, and malware and has MultiHop servers. No identifying logs are kept of users so your identity stays intact when using this VPN service.
Atlas VPN apps are available for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. While it can be used with Linux and wifi routers, this does require manual setup.
- Faster than most VPNs on the market
- Works with many sports streaming services including NHL.tv
- You can use it on as many devices as you like
- Lots of extra security features such as MultiHop servers
- No anonymous payment method
SPEED AND SECURITY:Atlas VPN is one of the faster VPNs tested and works with NHL.tv, Netflix, and more. Secure all of your devices at once. Lots of security features including an ad and tracker blocker. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
How to watch NHL.tv abroad with a VPN
Unblocking a geo-locked service is easy and works in the same way for almost every platform.
Here’s how to watch NHL.tv from anywhere using a VPN:
- Choose a suitable VPN from the list below. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the correct version of the software for your operating system.
- Connect to a server in a country in which NHL.tv is available. For example, a server in the US to get a US IP address.
- Try loading content from your chosen platform. You should find that it loads quickly, without displaying any error messages.
- Having trouble? Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. Otherwise, connect to another server to change your IP address or contact your VPN’s customer support for further assistance.
Finding the best VPNs for watching NHL.tv: our methodology
It can certainly be frustrating to travel abroad (or even to another US state) only to find that NHL.tv content is restricted. Not every VPN works with the streaming platform and even some of those that do struggle with speed or lack fundamental security features. Below, we provide a brief overview of our methodology for finding the best VPNs for watching NHL.tv:
- Servers worldwide: NHL.tv is now available in many countries worldwide. As such, having access to a global network of servers means you should have no trouble accessing the streaming platform. We looked for VPNs with servers in dozens of countries including the US.
- Speed: Some VPNs are too slow for streaming NHL.tv, resulting in low resolution streams as well as excessive buffering and lag. We ran speed tests to identify the fastest VPNs so you can stream in high definition. One thing they all had in common is their offer of unlimited bandwidth.
- Unblocking: It’s a great start if a VPN is able to unblock NHL.tv. However, we also looked for each VPN to work with a wide range of geo-restricted websites and services. That way, you can travel abroad with confidence, knowing you’ll have access to all of your usual online content.
- Privacy: We looked at 140 VPN logging policies, finding those that truly protect your privacy. This is important because while some VPNs claim to operate no-logs policies, the reality is they may keep identifying logs which could compromise your identity if shared, leaked, or stolen.
- Ease of use: Not every VPN makes it easy to connect to a server, adjust your settings, or contact customer support. Having had extensive time with each VPN’s apps, we chose those that offer the most beginner-friendly experience (along with live chat and email support).
- Value for money: The best VPNs for NHL.tv provide month-to-month, annual, and even multi-year subscription plans (the longer the subscription, the less you’ll generally pay per month). While these are well priced, you can get an even better deal by using the VPN discount coupons as listed in this post.
Whether it’s server speed, standard of security, or even quality of customer support, the thoroughness of our VPN testing methodology ensures only the best VPNs are recommended for the job.
Watching NHL.tv: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to watch NHL.tv?
You’d be forgiven for thinking free VPNs were a good way to stay safe online. After all, they purport to offer the same type of service as their premium counterparts. However, we strongly suggest avoiding free VPNs for several reasons. Firstly, their infrastructure is constantly inundated with new users, which causes network slowdown. This manifests as choppy, stuttering video and pages that take forever to load. This is hardly ideal for watching live, HD sport.
Although free VPNs don’t bill their users directly, they still exist to make a profit. Unfortunately, the real product free VPNs offer is their users. By placing ads onto the sites you visit and tracking your activities, free VPNs can make money from you as you browse. Even if you never click a single ad, they’ll gather plenty of data that can be used to build a consumer profile and sold to a third party without your knowledge.
Lastly, free VPNs pose a significant threat to your security. Many purported free VPNs are just Trojans looking to install malware onto your device. When it comes to online security, you can’t be too careful. That’s why we recommend using a reputable, privacy-conscious VPN instead.
What's the 2021-2022 NHL schedule?
The 2021/22 NHL season started on October 12, 2021 and runs until June 2022. There will be 1,312 matches during this period, with each team playing 82 times.
There’s obviously too many fixtures to cover here, but you can find matches by team or by date on the NHL website’s schedule page.
See also: How to watch NHL on Kodi