US broadband providers such as Verizon are legally allowed to track your online behavior and sell the data to third-party advertisers. By extension, they can throttle your speeds to various sites as they see fit. This post will focus on how you can take back control of your data plan and browse sites at your leisure, without any decreases in speed, all with the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
By connecting to a VPN, you can stop Verizon throttling your speed. That’s because a VPN encrypts all the traffic flowing to and from your device and routes it via an intermediary server. It’s almost impossible for anyone (including your internet service provider) to track what you’re up to on the web. An additional benefit of using of a VPN is that your internet activity is encrypted and hidden from Verizon.
Short of time? Here’s a quick summary of each of the best VPNs for Verizon and Verizon Fios.
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Verizon and Verizon Fios. Roughly 2,000 US servers. Fast speeds and no bandwidth throttling. Double VPN servers and 24/7 live chat support.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Hundreds of US servers across two dozen cities. Unlimited devices per account. Strict no-logs service with Double VPN servers.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries, the US included. Fast and unthrottled connections. User-friendly apps and excellent support. Secure with encryption.
- CyberGhost: 7,000+ servers (roughly 1,200 in the US). Doesn’t engage in bandwidth throttling and works with Netflix US. Secure seven devices at once.
- PrivateVPN: Fast speeds for streaming, strong unblocking. Easy-to-use apps and strong privacy protection with a no-logs policy and option to pay in Bitcoin.
- Private Internet Access: Good, consistent speeds and servers across dozens of countries. 10 simultaneous connections per account. No-logs policy included.
- Atlas VPN: One of the fastest VPNs tested. Works with many popular streaming services. Lots of extra security features including an ad blocker.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR VERIZON RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Verizon with no restrictions for a month—a great chance to test out its unlimited bandwidth for yourself.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't a good fit and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Not all VPNs are made equal. We put together our list of the best VPNs for Verizon and Verizon Fios by searching for those that meet the following criteria:
- Fast speeds without bandwidth caps
- Servers in countries worldwide (including the US)
- Exceptionally strong encryption protocols
- Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of users
- Securely accesses streaming services such as Netflix
- Allows multiple simultaneous connections per account
Best VPNs for Verizon and Verizon Fios
Here is our list of the best VPNs for Verizon and Verizon Fios:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has over 5,000 servers in 60 countries, which means you have a wealth of options to port your location and prevent throttling by Verizon. With fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth, it makes it easy to securely stream Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and more. You’re allowed to view current server loads and select the one that’s better suited to your needs.
This VPN provider is headquartered in Panama, so it’s not required by law to store any user data. Plus, NordVPN abides by a policy of not logging any personally identifiable information so you’re covered from a privacy perspective. All web traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption along with additional security measures such as a kill switch and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. NordVPN also offers Double VPN servers for enhanced privacy.
You can download and use NordVPN on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available while compatible routers can be configured manually.
- Unparalleled network – over 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- Very good server speeds with no bandwidth throttling
- Works with many streaming services such as Netflix
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- 24/7 live chat and email support available
- Victim of a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR VERIZON:NordVPN is our top choice. It’s fast and has more than 5,000 servers globally. No-logs service with Double VPN servers and 24/7 support. Up to six simultaneous connections allowed. You can even try it risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark operates over 3,000 servers in 65 countries. Aside from fast speeds, its unblocking abilities are among the best in the business. Indeed, it can help you securely stream Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more. Surfshark’s most compelling feature is that there’s an unlimited device policy in place, meaning no upper caps on the number of VPN connections with one account.
Surfshark doesn’t compromise on user security or privacy. This is evidenced by its offer of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. MultiHop (Double VPN) servers are available and encrypt data twice for even greater protection. There’s even an ad blocker feature. While Surfshark’s apps are quick and easy to use even for beginners, it offers live chat and email support 24 hours a day.
You can use Surfshark on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Alternatively, browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox. Note that manual configuration is required for use with wifi routers.
- High-speed servers for lag-free streaming of content
- Growing network of servers covering 65 countries
- Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously
- MultiHop servers for an extra layer of encryption
- Fast and friendly customer support, 24/7
- Sometimes slow to connect
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark’s unlimited connections makes it a great choice for families. Fast speeds and excellent unblocking abilities. Secure with high-end encryption, MultiHop servers and a strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is an excellent choice as your VPN for Verizon. With over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, you can get an IP address from a huge selection of locations. Its speeds are usually very fast and the service carries a near-perfect uptime record. This provider works with lots of geo-restricted streaming sites such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
This VPN provider offers 24-hour live chat and email support. It’s registered in the British Virgin Islands and isn’t required to keep any user data on file. ExpressVPN refrains from doing so anyway, with no personally identifiable information ever stored on its servers. Security parameters include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection.
Connect up to five devices at once with ExpressVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are included, as is custom firmware for use with wifi routers.
- Extremely fast download/streaming speeds
- Works with most major streaming services
- Servers available in 94 countries — far more than most VPNs
- Comprehensive security with encryption and kill switch
- Doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified
- Slightly more expensive than some other options
HIGHLY VERSATILE:ExpressVPN offers the full package including speed and security. 3,000+ servers in 94 countries. Unlimited bandwidth and secure with encryption. Beginner-friendly apps and 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost, headquartered in Romania, operates north of 7,000 servers in 90+ countries. This provider offers very fast speeds, some of the fastest we’ve tested in fact. It’s proven to be able to securely access many streaming services including Netflix. With a single CyberGhost account, you can connect up to seven of your devices at the same time.
Note that this VPN operates a strict no-logs policy to protect your privacy. Important security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch. There’s even a password manager which is currently undergoing beta testing. Should you need any assistance, you can always contact CyberGhost’s customer support which is available round the clock via live chat.
You’ll find CyberGhost apps for the following Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux. There’s even the option of Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. It also provides manual setup instructions for you to use it with your wireless router (if compatible).
- No bandwidth throttling — stream seamlessly
- Massive network of 7,000+ servers in 90 countries
- Secure seven of your devices at the same time
- Keeps you safe thanks to encryption and its no-logs policy
- Like many VPNs, it doesn’t work in China
7,000+ SERVERS:CyberGhost has the largest server network of any VPN listed with over 7,000 servers in 90 countries. Unlimited bandwidth and up to seven simultaneous connections. Includes a no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN operates over 200 servers in 60+ countries. While the network is smaller than those of other providers on this list, PrivateVPN delivers in other areas. In particular, it works reliably with a plethora of streaming sites including Netflix and BBC iPlayer. It’s also very fast, allowing you to stream in high resolution (even 4K) without having to contend with lag or buffering.
With its no-logs policy and anonymous payment method (Bitcoin), PrivateVPN allows you to stay anonymous. It also has impeccable encryption standards (256-bit AES). A kill switch will freeze traffic if the connection drops unexpectedly, and other measures such as DNS leak protection ensure there’s no possibility of data escaping the encrypted tunnel. Aside from live chat support, remote help and installation are available.
Secure up to six devices simultaneously with PrivateVPN’s apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). Manual configuration is needed to use PrivateVPN with Linux or wifi routers.
- Fast speeds with unlimited bandwidth
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, and more
- Online anonymity with the option to pay in Bitcoin
- Particularly fast response to email enquiries
- Smaller network of servers
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
STREAMING AND UNBLOCKING VPN:PrivateVPN delivers speed, security, and stability at an affordable price. Unlock your favorite streaming sites and keep yourself protected from bandwidth throttling. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access has no shortage of servers for helping you bypass the bandwidth throttling of Verizon. Thousands of servers across more than 80 countries makes it easy to access a wide range of geo-blocked websites and services, Netflix US included. Better still, this VPN has a generous connection allowance — up to 10 devices are allowed per account.
Once you connect to a PIA server, all of your internet traffic is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. Further security features include DNS leak protection and a kill switch. When it comes to privacy, PIA operates a no-logs policy. This means that nobody but you knows what you’re doing online. You’re unlikely to encounter too many issues with this user-friendly VPN but live chat support is available should you need it.
Private Internet Access can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. If you prefer, you can use a browser extension (available for Chrome and Firefox). You can even manually set up this VPN with your wireless router.
- Good, consistent speeds for streaming and torrenting
- Can be used on up to 10 devices at the same time
- No-logs policy means there’s no data to be shared or stolen
- Provides live chat and email support
- Struggles to bypass restrictions in China
- Doesn’t work with some streaming services
SECURE 10 DEVICES:Private Internet Access is a reliable choice with servers in more than 80 countries. Works with Netflix US. High level of security thanks to encryption and no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN provides faster speeds than most VPNs on the market. As such, it’s a particularly good choice if you’re suffering from ISP throttling. It’s also worth knowing that it’s also very reliable with streaming services. Indeed, Atlas VPN works with even the most access platforms, be it Netflix or Disney+. If you have a lot of devices to secure, keep in mind that Atlas VPN allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
Not only is Atlas VPN great for speed, it also has a wealth of security features. This starts with the essentials of 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS leaks. However, there’s even an ad, tracker, and malware blocker as well as MultiHop servers which route data through two server locations for extra security. Notably, Atlas VPN doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users.
To use Atlas VPN, download an app for Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS. If you don’t mind manual setup, you can do so to connect it with Linux or your router.
- Ideal for streaming thanks to fast, unthrottled connections
- Compatible with many popular streaming services
- Allows an unlimited number of connections per account
- Lots of security features such as an ad blocker
- Relatively small network of servers (approximately 750)
POWERFUL UNBLOCKING:Atlas VPN is not only a high-speed VPN but it has very strong unblocking ability. It also allows unlimited simultaneous connections. MultiHop servers available. No identifying logs of users. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
How to stop bandwidth throttling with a VPN
If you want to keep your online activity private from Verizon to protect your streaming speeds, follow the steps below.
Here’s how to stop Verizon throttling your bandwidth using a VPN:
- Register with one of the VPN services listed above. As you can see, we particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download the VPN software for your operating system. You’ll likely have a choice between apps for desktop and mobile (or perhaps a browser extension).
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server. This may be a server in the US for getting a US IP address.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This ensures that your previous IP address and location is forgotten.
- You should now be able to stream without excessive lag and buffering. Still having issues? Try connecting to a different server. The closer the server to your physical location, the faster the connection is likely to be.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Verizon
Most major VPNs offer unlimited bandwidth which is great if you’re looking to bypass bandwidth throttling. However, there are various factors to consider when choosing a VPN. By looking for the below, we were able to narrow down the many options and find the best VPNs for Verizon and Verizon Fios:
- Servers in countries worldwide: Chances are that if you’re located in the US (as a Verizon customer), you’ll want to connect to a server in the US. However, it doesn’t hurt to have access to servers worldwide, be it in Canada, the UK, or Australia. All of the VPNs in this post offer exactly this.
- Speed: Bandwidth throttling means slower speeds, particularly when streaming and torrenting. However, the fastest VPNs offer unlimited bandwidth so you can avoid such issues. To find the very best, we carried out speed tests on each VPN’s servers. That way, you’ll be able to stream and torrent without restriction.
- Unblocking: Not only can a VPN help you avoid ISP throttling, it also lets you unblock geo-restricted content. This is particularly useful if you travel abroad on a regular basis. The most reliable unblockers of content work with streaming services, news sites, social media platforms, and more.
- Security: There are all kinds of security threats to be aware of, be they phishing attempts or viruses. In encrypting your internet traffic and protecting you from data leaks, a VPN keeps you safe. If you need extra security, look for a VPN that offers Double VPN servers (such as NordVPN or Surfshark).
- Privacy: A VPN shouldn’t keep any identifying logs of its users. That way, even if it were somehow compromised, there wouldn’t be anything of value to be found. To find the VPNs that offer true no-logs policies so you can stay anonymous online, we studied more than 140 VPN logging policies.
- Ease of use: We’ve managed to identify VPNs that allow you to sign up and get all set up in mere minutes. Their apps are easy for beginners to use while there are still enough advanced features for power users. We’ve also placed an emphasis on finding VPNs that provide live chat and email support.
- Value for money: There are plenty of good VPN deals to be found. Indeed, you can save even more on the price of a subscription when you use the VPN discount coupons in this post. All of the VPNs reviewed above include money-back guarantees of at least 30 days so you can try them risk-free.
Of course, many VPNs promise much of the above. In order to find out if each VPN really offered sufficient speed, security (and so on), we spent plenty of time with its apps, all as part of our VPN testing methodology.
VPNs for Verizon: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to bypass Verizon's bandwidth throttling?
Straight off the bat, we think free VPNs are a bad idea for Verizon. Such services aren’t primed for smooth user experience and offer only a fraction of the same features that paid providers do. When you use a free VPN, it’s highly likely you’ll be subjected to data caps, bandwidth restrictions, and lots of invasive advertising. What’s more, free VPNs don’t have the sophisticated filters and cloaking technology needed to help you securely access certain services.
Many free VPN services make it a point to track user data and sell this information to third-party advertisers. Others have willingly injected malware in an attempt to make cash off you in the future. They’re going to make your internet experience far worse so it’s better if you try to steer clear.
Will a VPN hide my data usage from Verizon?
If you connect to a VPN, your ISP won’t be able to recognize the sites and apps you visit, but it can still track the amount of data you use. Throttling bandwidth refers to Verizon’s practice of slowing down specific behaviors on the internet such as streaming Netflix or torrenting. This is assuming you’re within your data cap. Verizon Fios doesn’t have data caps, but some of its other home internet services do. A VPN is a great option to prevent bandwidth throttling as your ISP can’t figure out how you’re using the internet, but it can’t prevent you from meeting (or exceeding) your data cap.
Can a VPN stop Verizon from spying on me?
Ever since the repeal of net neutrality laws, ISPs like Verizon are allowed to track and sell your personal information, including browsing data, to third parties. This means your ISP can theoretically track which websites you like to frequent, what products you buy, the content of your social media posts, and your search queries, and sell the information to advertisers.
If you’re not happy about that, then a VPN will stop your ISP from any attempts to do so. That’s because all your traffic is encrypted as it passes through the VPN server, meaning Verizon cannot track your digital footprint.