Maybe you’d like to access Omegle from school, university, or a country with strong internet censorship. To help, we’ve highlighted the best VPNs for accessing Omegle. These VPNs will also provide a method of unblocking Omegle if you have been unfairly banned (more details on this later).
Because Omegle doesn’t encrypt chat data, your conversations can be viewed by hackers, your internet service provider (ISP), and network administrators. VPNs prevent this by encrypting your network traffic, making it unreadable to any outside observers. This means that your ISP can’t sell your browsing habits to third parties. Further, VPNs allow you to connect to servers in other countries, potentially changing the nationality of people you’re connected with on Omegle.
While numerous VPN services are available, many of them (even some of the most popular providers) are blocked by Omegle.
That said, a few VPNs still work and we’ll be covering these in more detail below. If you don’t want to read the whole article, these are the best VPN services for accessing Omegle from anywhere or to remove a ban:
- NordVPN: Our first choice VPN for Omegle. Offers high speeds, powerful security and privacy features, plus a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- PrivateVPN: A privacy-first VPN provider that boasts strong security and fast speeds, but has a smaller server network. Works great with Omegle.
- StrongVPN: Affordable and easy to use with Omegle, with WireGuard support built-in and a no-logs policy.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Omegle with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to chat privately or use the service in a country where it's usually unavailable.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for Omegle- at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice VPN for Omegle.
|Website||NordVPN.com||PrivateVPN.com||StrongVPN.com||Ranking for Omegle||1||2||3||Total number of servers||5,400||200+||950||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, FireTV, Routers||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||71 Mbps||71 Mbps||Activity logs||None||No logs stored|
|Best deal (per month)||$4.19|
SAVE 60% on a 2yr standard plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Save 63% on an annual plan
The Best VPNs for Omegle
To find the best quality service that works with video chat platforms like Omegle, we looked for VPN services with the following properties:
- Minimal impact on network speeds
- The ability to access Omegle securely
- Multi-platform support
- Strong encryption
- Clearly defined privacy policies and minimal data logging
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Omegle:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for Omegle. This provider has recently found a workaround for Omegle’s extremely strict blocking and is now by far the easiest way to access the service. We were able to chat with randomly-chosen servers in the US, Canada, and Australia. NordVPN happens to be one of the fastest providers on the market right now too, so you should even be able to use the video chat function without any issues.
This service is packed with security and privacy tools. These include an app-specific kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, 256-bit AES encryption, and a feature that blocks ads and malware automatically. NordVPN follows a true no-logs policy and provides 24/7 support over email and live chat.
NordVPN has its own iOS, Android, Linux, MacOS, and Windows apps. If you’d prefer, it can be manually installed on supported routers too.
- Plenty of servers work with Omegle
- Steady, reliable speeds
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Doesn’t let you disconnect in one click
BEST VPN FOR OMEGLE:NordVPN is our #1 pick for Omegle. It’s quick, secure, and makes chatting safely as simple as possible. All plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
works with OmegleTested Feb 2023
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a service that takes security very seriously. It’s completely logless, uses 256-bit military-grade encryption and comes with DNS leak protection built-in. You can even choose to use a different protocol in case a specific service blocks VPN connections. We had success accessing Omegle with some of the US-based servers.
Although PrivateVPN has fewer servers than some of its rivals (roughly 200 worldwide), its internet speeds are above average. Omegle won’t be an issue since PrivateVPN is capable of handling 4K streaming, assuming your internet connection is fast enough. Users can now connect up to ten devices at a time.
This VPN has dedicated Android, MacOS, Windows, and iOS apps. It can also be manually installed on Linux systems and some routers.
- Some US servers still work with Omegle
- Strong encryption, security, and privacy protection features
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers
- Live chat is not around the clock
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Speeds were surprisingly good at this end of the market. Could do with having more servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
StrongVPN offers access to a network of over 950 servers but most of these won’t work with Omegle. That said, we were able to use this service while connected to a handful of East Asian and Middle Eastern servers. Given that StrongVPN is fairly speedy (averaging 71 Mbps in our latest tests), you should even be able to video chat without any issues.
One of the great things about this VPN is that it doesn’t overwhelm you with security options. There’s 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protocol selection but that’s about it. On the plus side, leak protection is present too, even though it isn’t listed in the menus. StrongVPN doesn’t keep any logs and if you’re having problems, support is available 24/7 over email and live chat.
StrongVPN apps are available for iOS, Android, Windows, and MacOS. Manual configuration is required for Linux systems and supported routers.
- Fast enough for live streaming
- Strong security features including the option to use the Wireguard protocol
- 24/7 support
- Some users might find minimalist design limiting
- Fairly small network
USER-FRIENDLY:StrongVPN makes it easy to start chatting safely, no matter where you are in the world. It’s quick, reliable, and even works in places like China. Not only that, but it offers unlimited bandwidth and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full StrongVPN review.
How to use Omegle with a VPN
Here’s how to use Omegle with a VPN:
- Start by signing up for one of the VPNs above. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Next, install the VPN app and log in.
- Connect to a server in the country of your choosing. If you’re not bothered about the location, most VPNs allow you to automatically connect to the fastest available server.
- Finally, visit Omegle and chat as normal. If you see a message saying “Error connecting to server. Please try again.”, it’s possible Omegle has blacklisted the server you’re using. In these cases, you’ll have to try different servers until you find one that works
Finding the best VPNs for Omegle: our methodology
There are very few VPNs that still work with Omegle and even fewer that are of sufficient quality for us to recommend. When we’re looking at whether a VPN is suitable for use with Omegle, we consider factors including the server speeds offered, standard of security, and more.
- Unblocking: First and foremost, any VPN included in this list must have at least some servers that work with Omegle. You may need to try multiple servers in order to find one that works however. We also test each VPN against a wide range of other blocked content including streaming services like Prime Video.
- Servers worldwide: While Omegle is available in most countries, it’s not available everywhere. Whether you’re in a country with internet censorship or you’ve been banned in error, having access to servers worldwide lets you bypass restrictions. The best VPNs for Omegle all have servers in dozens of countries.
- Speed: In order to video chat on Omegle, you’ll need good, consistent connections. Otherwise, you’re more likely to suffer from low resolution video along with performance problems such as lag and buffering. We test VPN speeds in order to find the fastest VPNs, all of which include unlimited bandwidth.
- Security: A VPN provides you with security by encrypting your data and protecting you from leaks. In connecting a VPN server, your real IP address (and thus your approximate location) is hidden. Needless to say, this is important when using video chat with complete strangers, some of whom may have questionable intentions.
- Privacy: There are of course some privacy concerns that come with online chat platforms. The best VPNs for Omegle provide some protection through encryption. A quality VPN should also operate a no-logs policy. We’ve studied 140 VPN logging policies to find those that truly don’t keep any identifying data.
- Ease of use: Some VPNs are just easier to use than others. Much of this comes down to how well (or how poorly) designed the apps are. The good news is that we have extensive hands-on time with each VPN to find out if it’s beginner-friendly. We also expect each VPN to provide customer support via live chat and email.
- Value for money: There are many VPNs that don’t work with Omegle that are actually more expensive than the VPNs listed in this post. We’ve found VPNs that we feel offer the best value for money. Indeed, all of them include money-back guarantees of at least 30 days so you can try them out risk-free.
We’ve found VPNs that offer all of the above. Our VPN testing methodology post explains how we evaluate each VPN, ensuring it meets all of the key criteria.
Can I use a free VPN with Omegle?
Many guides suggest using a free VPN to stay safe on Omegle but we strongly advise against this for several reasons. Firstly, Omegle has taken steps to prevent VPN users from connecting at all, so there’s a good chance free VPNs (which are incredibly popular) won’t work.
Further, free VPNs are usually far slower than their premium counterparts because they generally have fewer servers struggling to provide for more users. Free VPN companies try to compensate for this by imposing user data limits and queues but ultimately the demand is greater than the supply and as such, you can expect an inconsistent and unsatisfying experience.
Unfortunately, this isn’t just speculation: free VPNs have been caught abusing their user’s trust in the past. High-profile examples include VPN companies that come bundled with malware, sell their user’s bandwidth, and mislead users about the logs that they keep. To keep yourself and your personal information safe, we recommend using a reputable VPN service with clearly defined privacy policies.
Omegle and privacy
Although Omegle hasn’t publicly admitted that they’re trying to block VPN users, all the evidence points to the contrary. In fact, this has been an issue since at least 2014, according to posts on the Omegle subreddit. So why would Omegle want to stop people using a VPN?
The most obvious reason is to help track down people who abuse the platform. When a regular user connects to Omegle, their IP address is logged. This can easily be traced to a rough physical location. VPN users, on the other hand, use a temporary substitute IP address which would return a completely different location. As long as you abide by the terms of service (which do not expressly forbid VPN use), however, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be allowed to connect as normal.
In our tests, we found that Omegle often displayed “Error connecting to server. Please try again.” when using a VPN. This was solved by switching servers, but finding one that isn’t blocked can be a challenge.
If you find an IP address that works, don’t forget to turn off automatic IP switching for the duration of your chat. This will prevent you from being disconnected part way through.
How to use Omegle safely
First of all, you should be aware that video chat sites like Omegle and Chatroulette have something of an adult content problem. Chats are moderated but Omegle stresses on the homepage that this isn’t foolproof. For this reason, we’d advise against using Omegle if you’re under 18 years old.
- The contents of your chat (provided one or both participants saves the log)
- The user’s IP address and a unique cookie ID
- The name of your college (if using college mode)
- Which pages you visit on the Omegle website
- Which country you’re from
- Screenshots of any video chats you might have
This information is usually deleted after 120 days, unless otherwise required by law. If a chatlog is saved, the cookie IDs and IP addresses of both users will be kept indefinitely.
With this in mind, it’s important that you don’t reveal any identifying information. This includes your full name, place of work, email address and phone number, but even the view out of your window coupled with the city you live in can give someone a general idea of your location. Ideally, you wouldn’t even show your face on camera, however, this does defeat the purpose of video chat. Essentially, as long as you’re sensible about the information you share and disconnect whenever you feel uncomfortable, you’ll be fine.
VPNs for Omegle FAQ
Why might Omegle ban someone?
In the small print on Omegle’s home page, there’s a fairly lengthy list of things that you aren’t allowed to do on the service. This includes harassing other users, sharing other people’s private information, making defamatory statements, using software to begin chats automatically, or violating intellectual property rights (for instance, by sharing links to pirated material with another user).
Is it legal to use Omegle with a VPN?
It’s perfectly legal to access Omegle with a VPN (although only a handful can get around the service’s VPN-detection measures). These are, first and foremost, privacy tools, after all; why shouldn’t you take steps to protect yourself when speaking to strangers?
There is one caveat, though: VPNs just help keep you anonymous online, they don’t suddenly make it okay to do illegal things online. For instance, if you used a VPN to harass someone, you’d still be committing a crime and could still end up in hot water.
Disclaimer: although we've researched this topic thoroughly, nothing we've said above should be taken as legal advice. If you're unsure whether VPNs are legal in your country, we encourage you to research local laws before attempting to use one.
How can I use Omegle to practice my foreign language skills with native speakers?
Omegle uses a few different tricks to match you with people. First, it takes your interests into account. However, if there aren’t any other users with the same interests, it’ll usually attempt to pair you with someone in the same country, or simply someone who speaks the same language.
So how can you use this to sharpen your foreign language skills? Well, you could add relevant terms to your interests, change your language in the top-right of the screen, and use a VPN to connect to a server in the appropriate country. This should greatly increase your chances of being matched with someone speaking the language you’d like to practice.
What is the minimum age to use Omegle?
The small print on the Omegle homepage specifically says not to use the service if you’re under 13. Additionally, it asks users who are under the age of 18 to get a parent’s permission before speaking to anyone.
Which countries block Omegle?
Generally, any country that blocks VoIP services like Skype, WhatsApp, and FaceTime will also block access to Omegle. The reason for this is simple: these platforms allow users to communicate in a way that can’t be as easily monitored by the government.
As you might expect, places where Omegle isn’t available include China, the UAE, Libya, Jordan, Oman, and Qatar. Despite this, you can get around regional censorship and access your usual services from anywhere using a VPN.
Is Omegle safe?
It’s important to remember that Omegle connects you to random internet users from around the world. This means that you may well see offensive language, hurtful statements, or adult content (assuming you’re using the video functionality). That said, a new conversation is only ever two button presses away, and the moderated video chats offer a little more protection than the adult ones. As long as you don’t share any personal information, Omegle isn’t dangerous.
How do I deal with harassment from a random stranger on Omegle?
Harassment is explicitly forbidden in Omegle’s terms and conditions. Despite this, the service goes on to include various statements designed to deflect responsibility (“Understand that human behavior is fundamentally uncontrollable”, “people you encounter on Omegle… are solely responsible for their own behaviour”).
To its credit, Omegle moderates some of its video chats. However, there are no such guarantees for text-only conversations or chats that take place in the 18+ section. Unbelievably, this service doesn’t actually have any kind of a report function. This means that, in the face of harassment, all you can really do is end the chat and move on.
How long do Omegle bans last?
The length of an Omegle ban seems to vary pretty wildly from one user to another but there’s little to suggest that they’re ever permanent. Generally, you can expect to be banned for anything from a few days to a week or two.
Why doesn't my VPN work with Omegle?
Omegle has extremely strong VPN-detection features and as a result, most VPNs won't work. In fact, even those that do often only have a few servers suitable for Omegle, and finding these usually involves a lot of trial and error. The one exception we've found is NordVPN, which allowed us to access Omegle first try with servers in several different countries.
Can you be tracked on Omegle with a VPN?
This really depends on a couple of things. First off, if your VPN keeps activity logs and collects device identifiers, there's a strong chance it'll be able to link a specific chat to you directly.
Let's say your VPN follows a strict no-logs policy. This will not protect you if you reveal personal information in your conversations. It is, after all, unlikely that anyone else would be handing out your email address or phone number.
If your VPN keeps no logs, you're careful about what you say, and you use a busy server, there's no easy way for anyone to tell which conversations you were part of.
Which country server is best for Omegle?
Omegle is available in most countries but most VPNs and their servers don’t work with it. We found that there’s an element of trial and error when it comes to finding a server that is able to unblock Omegle. Nevertheless, we had the most success when connected to servers located in the US. We recommend you connect to a server in the US and get a US IP address and then try your luck with a few different servers.