TF1 is geo-blocked, which means you can’t normally access it from outside of France. However, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can get you into TF1 from abroad by changing your IP address and making it look like you’re still in France. Not just any VPN will work, though, which is where we come in.
You will find plenty of details on each of the providers we feature below, but in case you only have time for a summary, here is our list of the best VPNs for TF1:
- NordVPN: Our first choice for TF1. Plenty of servers in France that are capable of unblocking most popular French content. Strong security features and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget option. Fantastic security and privacy toolkit, plus the ability to unblock a huge range of geo-blocked services.
- ExpressVPN: With superfast servers in France and around the globe, this provider has no issues unblocking almost any streaming content you can think
- CyberGhost: Easy to use apps make this provider a popular beginners’ choice. Our tests revealed impressive streaming speeds. Private and secure apps.
- IPVanish: High scores for speed. Very popular with Kodi users. Allows any number of connections. Strong on privacy, with a true no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Veteran provider gaining a reputation for its unblocking capabilities and streaming speeds. Apps are private and secure.
- Hotspot Shield: A great everyday VPN with excellent streaming potential. High speeds, strong security, and beginner-friendly apps.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for TF1 with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPNs for TF1
The VPN market is very crowded, and not all provide the security, speed, and unblocking capabilities you need to unblock TF1 from abroad. We base our list of the best TF1 VPNs on the following key criteria:
- Operates servers in France
- Can access the TF1 online streaming service
- High speed and no bandwidth limits
- Easy to install and run
- Superb customer support
We have thoroughly tested every VPN on this list; and we explain exactly how we chose the VPNs we recommend later in this article. Scroll down for more info.
Here is our list of the best VPNs for TF1:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is a great service for TV streaming from anywhere in the world. The company has 5,000+ servers in 59 countries, including France. The company operates around 230 servers in France, and its speeds are among the fastest we’ve seen. Users can take advantage of a double VPN option and extra obfuscation if they wish. You get an allowance of six concurrent connections per account.
NordVPN recently introduced its own NordLynx protocol, which blends speed and security. This complements its already-exceptional offering, which includes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, and an obfuscated servers. NordVPN is a particularly good service if you are in a country with very restricted internet service, such as China or Iran. The customer support team can be contacted 24/7 via live chat.
The company provides apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. You can also install a browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. You can install NordVPN manually on compatible routers.
- Operates over 230 servers in France, great for unblocking geo-restricted content
- Doesn’t skimp on security or privacy features
- Great multi-platform support
- Servers are optimized for HD streaming
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- The desktop app can be slow to connect sometimes
BEST VPN FOR TF1:NordVPN is our top choice. A privacy-first option which works reliably with TF1 and most popular streaming sites. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. Top notch privacy and security. Includes a risk-free 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our first choice for those looking to stream TF1 on a budget. It offers more than 3,200 servers in 60+ countries (including France) and is fast enough to stream live TV with no noticeable buffering. Better still, this service allows users to secure any number of devices at once.
It’s strong from a security perspective too. There’s 256-bit encryption built-in, plus a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a NoBorders mode that lets you access the internet freely, wherever you are. What’s more, Surfshark follows a strict no-logs policy. Customer support can be reached, day or night, over live chat.
Surfshark apps are available for iOS, Android, Linux, MacOS, and Windows. Thanks to a recent update that added full M1 chip support, MacOS users should notice lower battery usage and overall, better performance than ever before.
- Fast enough for streaming live TV without any issues
- Unblocks some of the most popular streaming services abroad
- Strong commitment to your security
- Keeps no logs
- Allows unlimited devices
- Customer support could be improved
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a low-cost provider that ticks all the boxes. Blending speed, security, and versatility, it’s a fantastic choice for streaming TF1 outside of France. There’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is great for streaming, for several reasons. First, it’s the fastest VPN we’ve tested, by far. This means you’re extremely unlike to encounter lag or buffering when watching TF1 online. Additionally, ExpressVPN is capable of unblocking major services including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. You can access the ExpressVPN service on five devices all at once.
This service keeps you safe online using a blend of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (which it calls a “network lock”), and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. There’s also an option that lets you choose certain apps to bypass the VPN entirely. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information. It has an excellent customer support team and you can get help online via live chat around the clock.
The service is available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. Further, its custom router firmware was recently updated to provide a smoother, faster, and more reliable experience.
- Easily unblocks TF1 and other streaming services from abroad, including Netflix France
- Server speeds are great for HD streaming and fast downloads
- High-end security features with good privacy protection
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Slightly more expensive than some of its rivals
SOLID EVERYDAY VPN:ExpressVPN is a reliable choice. Fast and secure, not to mention capable of unblocking TF1 and similar services abroad. All plans come with a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost includes specific servers for streaming and there’s even one specially designed to unblock TF1. This makes it as easy as possible to start watching abroad. As well as TF1, this VPN works with France.tv, Canal+, and RTL, to name but a few. Speeds are generally pretty impressive, and users can secure up to seven devices at once.
The company goes to great lengths to ensure privacy for its customers. For instance, it has 256-bit encryption, an always-on kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks all enabled by default. It recently added WireGuard support too, and has branched out into providing a password manager of late. Customer support is on-hand 24/7 over email and live chat.
The company makes apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux, and Android. You can install the VPN manually on compatible routers.
- Almost 700 servers in France and can unblock most French content abroad
- Above-average HD streaming speeds
- Keeps no user activity logs and provides strong encryption to bypass activity detection
- Apps are great for beginners
- Could offer more control over advanced features
GREAT FOR STREAMING:CyberGhost is perfect for watching French TV abroad. Easy to use. Good server representation in France makes it ideal for TF1. Stores no logs and streams HD video reliably. 45-day money back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish’s robust network makes it ideal for streaming video over long distances. The company has invested a lot of money into its infrastructure recently, providing significant speed increases and overall, better reliability. IPVanish has 30+ high-speed servers in France that will get you into TF1 from outside the country. There’s no connection limit, either, so you can watch on any device you like.
This provider secures each of your connections with top-notch security features like 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. Additionally, it has a feature that can scramble OpenVPN traffic for even greater privacy. IPVanish doesn’t keep any logs and hopes to add WireGuard support soon. 24/7 suppirt is available over live chat and email.
The company offers apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Fire TV. You can install the service manually on compatible routers and Linux systems.
- Operates over 30 servers in France, ideal for streaming French content abroad
- Speeds are great for HD streaming on most servers
- Top notch security and privacy considerations
- Connect all of your devices at once
- Struggles to unblock larger streaming platforms
STREAM ANYWHERE:IPVanish is secure and versatile. Great for streaming, with no connection or bandwidth limits to speak of. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN access to the TF1 video player and many similar services from abroad. These include platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max. This VPN is one of the fastest on the market and is reliable enough to use regularly. With a six-connection limit, users are free to protect all of their favorite devices at the same time.
This provider recently became its own web host and ISP, giving it full control over your traffic from start to finish. This means that there’s absolutely no risk of a third party seeing what you do online. The apps include 256-bit encryption, leak protection, and a customizable kill switch too, so your privacy is in good hands. Most importantly, PrivateVPN keeps no logs whatsoever. Live chat is available for most of the day.
You can install the PrivateVPN app on Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. However, you’ll have to configure the VPN manually on compatible routers.
- No issues unblocking TF1 and other French streaming content
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Live chat not quite available 24/7
- Fewer servers to choose from
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks TF1. Good for general browsing and torrenting. Could do with having more servers and lacks 24/7 support. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield is a great choice for anyone hoping to watch TF1 abroad, thanks to its network of 1,800+ high-speed servers. In fact, it’s even able to unblock larger platforms like Netflix, DAZN, and Amazon Prime Video. Up to five simultaneous connections are permitted per account, giving you the freedom to stream and browse safely, wherever you are.
From a security perspective, there’s plenty to like. For instance, this VPN ensures your anonymity with 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. Recent updates have only improved this, bringing IKEv2 support and a feature that connects automatically whenever you use public wifi. Hotspot Shield doesn’t store any identifiable data and provides around the clock support over live chat.
Hotspot Shield has apps for iOS, Linux, Windows, Android, and MacOS. Alternatively, you can install it directly onto supported wireless routers.
- Fast enough for lag-free 4K streaming
- Unblocks major streaming services
- Strong security and privacy protections
- Users can’t sign up anonymously
- Some past privacy concerns
FAST AND RELIABLE:Hotspot Shield is quick, secure, and great for streaming TF1 abroad. Boasts over 1,800 servers worldwide and consistently high speeds. What’s more, all plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full Hotspot Shield review.
Our methodology for recommending TF1 VPNs
There are tons of VPNs on the market and picking between them can give you a headache. Not all VPNs are the same, and they don’t all have the features you need to unblock TF1 outside of France. In addition, many VPNs have slow servers that are no good for streaming, or have outdated policies and vulnerable apps that put your privacy at risk.
Our experts test and review the world’s leading VPNs. We use a specific testing methodology to guarantee that all our recommendations are suitable for the task at hand. We check for IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks to ensure that the VPN is providing the privacy it promises. We also check the encryption to make sure it is implemented correctly and can prevent hacking.
Next, we test the VPN’s speeds. We want to recommend VPNs that are fast so that you can stream in HD on TF1 without any buffering or lag. We also want to ensure that the VPN is versatile and can be used to game, torrent, and make video calls.
Finally, we check that our recommendations have servers in France that work with TF1 and other popular French services, and international servers that work to access Netflix, Disney+, iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max and other popular services.
Below, we have included all of the criteria that our experts used to pick the VPNs recommended on this page:
- Servers in France. This allows you to get an IP address in France to unblock TF1, and other popular French services.
- Servers worldwide. A large server network lets you pretend to be in more places so that you can get great speeds and unblock more regional content.
- Apps for all platforms. We always recommend VPNs that have apps and user guides for all platforms, so that you can install the VPN on every device you own.
- Reliable encryption. Encryption must be strong and up to date to ensure it can keep your online habits safe and private at all times.
- A no logs policy. We only recommend VPNs that promise never to store usage logs or any other persistent logs that could be used to identify you at a later date.
- Torrenting permitted. For a VPN to be versatile and good value for money it should let you do as you please online. That is why we recommend VPNs that permit P2P connections for seeding and leeching torrents.
- Advanced VPN privacy features. We look for a kill-switch, leak protection, obfuscation, and other advanced features that make the VPN superb value for money (check the summaries and our VPN reviews for details about these additional features).
- Fast connection speeds. To stream TF1 you require fast speeds that prevent buffering. We check all our recommendations to guarantee that they will let you watch your favorite shows without distractions.
How to stream TF1 online from abroad
Before you can watch videos or streams on the site you’ll need to set up a VPN. Below is our quick guide to streaming TF1 live online from anywhere.
Here’s how to live stream TF1 online from anywhere:
- Subscribe to any of the VPNs above (we recommend NordVPN).
- Log in and select a server in France, then connect.
- Switch off any ad blockers you might be using.
- Visit TF1 and log in (or create an account if you don’t already have one).
- Try playing a video. It should load right away, but if not, clearing your cookies and cache should fix most issues. Still having problems? Get in touch with your VPN’s support team for more advice.
Can I use a free VPN for TF1?
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to watch TF1 over the internet by using a free VPN. This is because the process of getting past regional restrictions and proxy detection is a complicated procedure and companies that can achieve those goals have to invest a lot of money in special equipment and bespoke programs in order to keep in the game. As a compromise, speeds tend to be much slower than paid VPNs, data and bandwidth caps are common, and server selection is much more limited.
It’s great to get stuff for free. However, those companies that don’t make money off a subscription try to earn an income by other routes. Those free VPNs are sometimes honey traps to lure in people to hand over their personal data, which the VPN provider then sells to advertisers. You can also expect constant advertising with free VPN services; many even inject ads straight into your browser.
Streaming TF1 online: FAQs
What speeds do I need for live streaming TF1?
VPN companies need to invest a lot in order to get fast connections and free services just can't afford those expenses. Netflix recommends a connection speed of 5 Megabits per second to prevent stuttering and buffering while watching HD video. But Netflix’s on-demand videos are optimized for streaming. Live streams don't have time to compress the video, so they are not as efficient as on-demand streams. Watching a live stream typically requires much more bandwidth than an on-demand stream of equal quality.
The services in our list of the best VPNs for streaming TF1 all exceed this requirement.
Why won't TF1 let me watch from abroad?
TF1 must pay for the content that it shows and it only buys the rights to show entertainment in France. Content licensing restrictions apply to the device that views the entertainment, not the location of the video streaming server nor the user’s home or billing address. So, when TF1 signs contracts to show video in France, it must take steps to ensure people outside France can’t access video on its site.
So, if you try to access TF1 from outside of France, the video player screen will be black and show nothing but the error message, "Un probleme technique est survenu" or possibly "Ce contenu est indisponible dans votre région.”
In English, these mean "A technical problem has arisen" and “This content is not available in your area”, respectively.
The obligation to limit access to content extends to blocking VPNs and other methods that enable the general public to bypass such restrictions. TF1, like most other online TV services, invests heavily in VPN detection systems. Because of VPN detection, not many VPNs can get you into TF1. All of the VPNs in our list above can bypass TF1’s proxy detection systems.
What can I watch on TF1?
TF1 offers a ton of content, from reality TV shows to sports. Here are just a few of the things you can stream on the TF1 website:
- Euro 2020
- Les Feux de l'Amour
- The Voice
- For life
- Les Toqués
- Danse avec les stars