Netflix is far from the only streaming service that region-locks its content. However, it goes much further than most others, with individual content libraries for almost every country in the world. So what does this mean for you? Essentially, you’re at the mercy of the service while traveling; perhaps you’ll be lucky and visit somewhere with a decent Netflix catalog, but there’s also a chance you wind up somewhere with an underwhelming selection of content.
On the plus side, it’s not that difficult to get around Netflix’s regional restrictions. Since it finds the user’s current location by examining their IP address, you can simply connect to a VPN to spoof your location and access different Netflix libraries from abroad. This assumes Netflix hasn’t already blocked your chosen provider, though: read on to see if Betternet works with Netflix.
Can Betternet unblock Netflix from abroad?
We tested Betternet and were unable to access any Netflix libraries. Even if it did work, there are several reasons to avoid it. For instance, while a large part of this service’s popularity is down to the fact that it’s free, unless you pay, you’ll only have access to American servers. Additionally, you’re limited to 500MB of data per day: that’s enough for about half an hour of 480p video, meaning it’s not exactly great for bingeing Netflix shows.
Instead, we recommend using ExpressVPN. This service doesn’t track you and unblocks over a dozen regional libraries including Netflix US, UK, Japan, Canada, Australia, and India. Best of all, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to try it entirely risk-free.
How to access another country’s Netflix library with a VPN
Here’s how to change your Netflix region with a VPN:
- Start by signing up for a suitable VPN service (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download the app. Usually, you’ll be allowed five or so connections at once, so it’s a good idea to install it on all of your most frequently-used devices.
- Next, log in and connect to a server in the country whose Netflix library you’d like to access. For example, you should use a British server to unblock Netflix UK abroad.
- Finally, visit Netflix. You should be able to watch previously unavailable shows and movies, but if not, clear your cookies and try again. If problems persist, get in touch with your VPN’s support team for more in-depth assistance.
Netflix over VPN: common questions and answers
⭐What’s wrong with using a free VPN for Netflix?
First off, free VPNs usually have very small networks. This means that you’ll be competing with other users for bandwidth and will likely experience very slow speeds. In fact, during peak times, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to stream at all. Also, as free services tend to cluster their servers in high-traffic areas like the US, they’re almost useless for accessing anything but the most popular Netflix catalogs (assuming they aren’t already blocked, which is a real possibility).
VPNs are primarily designed to improve your online privacy; their unblocking abilities are just a helpful secondary function. However, choosing the wrong free service could actually do the opposite. There are dozens of malware-carrying “free VPNs” on major app stores, and to make matters worse, plenty of seemingly legitimate free providers fail to encrypt data or include any meaningful security features at all. The best way to protect yourself is with a VPN that doesn't keep logs and that has a proven record of standing up for its users’ privacy, not a free service.
⭐Will I get into trouble for using Netflix with a VPN?
It might surprise you to learn that unblocking Netflix using a VPN isn’t actually illegal in most countries. It does go against Netflix’s terms of service, but this isn’t a crime, and the worst that’s likely to happen is you’ll be asked to turn the VPN off. Even if you don’t, you may still be able to stream content, although only the titles that are available in whichever country you signed up in.
⭐Which country has the best Netflix library?
Which Netflix library is best really depends on what you value more: the number of titles on offer or their quality. If you’re of the opinion that more is better, then Netflix UK and Netflix Canada are the best, with around 6,100 and 6,000 titles, respectively. However, the South Korea and Thailand catalogs have the highest average IMdb rating (6.81 out of 10), despite listing fewer titles.
- 1 Can Betternet unblock Netflix from abroad?
- 2 How to access another country’s Netflix library with a VPN
- 3 Netflix over VPN: common questions and answers
- 4 What’s wrong with using a free VPN for Netflix?
- 5 Will I get into trouble for using Netflix with a VPN?
- 6 Which country has the best Netflix library?