Many of us have had that moment when you go to watch a movie on Netflix only to find that it has disappeared. This doesn’t always mean it’s been removed from the service; if you’re traveling abroad, it could simply be that your chosen title isn’t available in your current location. Luckily, it’s easy enough to regain access to your home country’s Netflix library while abroad, you just need a VPN.
Like most geo-restricted services, Netflix finds your location by checking your IP address. However, when you use a VPN, your real IP address is hidden — instead, Netflix can only see the address of your chosen server. This tricks it into thinking you’re in a different country, and it updates its content accordingly. Unfortunately, not all VPNs are capable of bypassing Netflix’s tricky geo-restrictions. Read on to find out if VPN Unlimited works with Netflix and how to use it.
Does VPN Unlimited work with Netflix?
After some testing, we found that VPN Unlimited only works with Netflix US. However, doing so can be a little confusing. For instance, you have to use the dedicated Netflix server to securely access Netflix US — regular American servers won’t work.
If you were hoping to access a library that VPN Unlimited doesn’t support, perhaps you’d like to give NordVPN a try. This service comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee and works with over a dozen versions of Netflix, including Netflix US, UK, Japan, Canada, and Australia.
BEST VPN FOR NETFLIX:NordVPN is our top recommendation. It offers over 5,000 servers, has fast and unthrottled speeds, and works with over a dozen Netflix libraries. Strict no-logs service with strong security. Thanks to a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can even try NordVPN risk-free.
How to watch Netflix from anywhere with VPN Unlimited
If this is your first time using a VPN, don’t worry! Signup and setup shouldn’t take more than a minute or two. Simply follow the five simple steps below to change Netflix region with VPN Unlimited.
Here’s how to stream Netflix from abroad using VPN Unlimited:
- Download the VPN Unlimited app and create an account. Signing up this way, rather than via the site, gives you a seven-day free trial with no payment information required.
- Connect to a server in the US. Note that you have to use the special Netflix servers in the Streaming section.
- Visit Netflix via web or the native app. You should now be able to stream all of the content that’s available back home.
- If you’re having problems, clear your cookies and refresh the page, or get in touch with your VPN’s support team for further assistance.
Which VPNs are best for watching Netflix?
Best VPNs for watching Netflix:
- NordVPN: Best VPN for Netflix. Over 5,400 servers globally and very fast speeds. Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers. No-logs service with 24/7 support.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Works with over 30 Netflix libraries. High-speed connections and strong security. Unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries. Works consistently with Netflix. Fast server speeds and a high level of security with encryption. Excellent support.
- CyberGhost: Well over 9,000 servers in 90 countries. Unlimited bandwidth for streaming Netflix lag-free. Use on up to 7 devices at once. No-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Works with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, and more. Fast speeds and secure with a strict no-logs policy. Beginner-friendly apps.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 80 countries. Works well with Netflix US. Lots of security features are available. Includes 24/7 support via live chat and email.
- IPVanish: High-speed connections for streaming Netflix from abroad. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Secure and includes 24-hour support.
TRY THE TOP VPN FOR NETFLIX RISK-FREE
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30 day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month - perfect if you happen to be abroad for several weeks.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Why choose VPN Unlimited?
VPN Unlimited has around 500 servers in 80+ countries, as well as specially-optimized servers designed to provide secure access to platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer in just one click. While this isn’t the fastest service around, it provides high enough speeds for Netflix and allows you to secure up to five devices at once. As such, it’s a versatile, easy-to-use service that’s great for day-to-day usage.
There are plenty of impressive security features, too, like 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch that stops sending data the moment your connection drops. VPN Unlimited doesn’t store any data that could identify you and allows users to pay in Bitcoin for even greater anonymity. It offers 24/7 live chat support and claims its average email response time is under an hour.
Connect to a VPN Unlimited server via its apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge extensions are all available, although the manual configuration is needed in order to use this VPN with compatible wireless routers.
SOLID EVERYDAY VPN:VPN Unlimited not only works with Netflix, but other popular streaming services too. With strong security and privacy protections, plus decent speeds and a seven-day free trial, it’s a good choice for just about any task.
Read our full VPN Unlimited review.
Streaming Netflix abroad: FAQs
Will a free VPN let me watch Netflix abroad?
There are several reasons why free VPNs are a poor choice for Netflix, not least of which is that they fail to live up to their own marketing. Instead of large networks, you’ll usually get access to a handful of overcrowded servers. Slow speeds are the norm, and if you can get a fast enough connection to stream during the evenings or weekends, you’re extremely lucky. Additionally, Netflix frequently updates its VPN blacklists, so there’s a good chance that your service won’t work. Even assuming it does, it might not in the future.
One of the biggest problems with free VPNs is that there’s no guarantee that you’re actually any safer using them. After all, many free providers don’t even encrypt user data, which means that they provide no benefits whatsoever. Further, as there are so many Trojans pretending to be free VPN apps, you could inadvertently reduce your own security instead of enhancing it. To stay as safe as possible, it’s best to use reputable, zero-log VPN providers, not free services.
Does Netflix ban people for using a VPN?
Which Netflix titles can I access by using VPN Unlimited?
Thanks to the fact that VPN Unlimited works with Netflix US, you’ll have access to thousands of titles. This includes the following popular TV shows and movies:
- All of Us Are Dead
- Orange Is the New Black
- Jane the Virgin
- Money Heist
- Better Call Saul
- Attack on Titan
- The Last Dance
- American Horror Story
- Despicable Me 2
- Red Notice
- Home Team
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- Don’t Look Up
- Good Burger
- I Am Legend
- The Karate Kid
- Terminator 2: Judgement Day
What speeds do I need to stream Netflix?
The good news is that you don’t need to have super-fast speeds in order to stream Netflix. Netflix’s Internet connection speed recommendations suggest at least 3 Mbps for streaming in HD (720p), 5 Mbps for full HD (1080p), and 15 Mbps for 4K. Of course, you’ll want to be comfortably over the minimum to reduce the risk of excessive lag and buffering.
Is my VPN fast enough for streaming Netflix?
It’s important to note that any VPN you use will have an impact on your speeds, the extent of which depends on many factors, including the VPN protocol and your geographical distance from the VPN server.
A good rule of thumb is to expect at least a 30 percent reduction (although there’s a lot of variation), so if you get an 8Mbps download speed without the VPN, you should be okay to use Netflix with a VPN. The VPNs we’ve recommended here all have fast enough speeds to stream Netflix.