As with most streaming platforms, Hulu geo-restricts its service. It does this to comply with the licensing agreements it makes with copyright holders and content producers. Because of these regional limitations, Hulu is currently only available in the US and Japan. This is why so many Hulu account holders decide to subscribe to CyberGhost.
By using a VPN, anybody on vacation can instantly regain access to Hulu. This ensures that paying subscribers can watch all their favorite shows while abroad. Unfortunately, very few VPNs work to access Hulu in 2023. The good news is that our experts have pinpointed a handful of VPNs that are able to bypass Hulu’s VPN blocks.
CyberGhost is a VPN that works hard to provide access to Hulu for its subscribers. That said, it is not unheard of for people to encounter issues. Luckily, it is usually possible to fix these problems and watch Hulu abroad. In this troubleshooting guide, we have compiled all the best advice so that you can get CyberGhost working with Hulu as quickly as possible.
Just remember that although CyberGhost can help you securely access Hulu, it is not the most reliable VPN for the job. For this reason, we recommend using NordVPN or ExpressVPN instead.
WANT TO TRY A BETTER ALTERNATIVE FOR FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use this top-rated VPN with no restrictions for a month—perfect for watching Hulu on vacation.
There's no catch—just contact support within 30 days if you decide not to continue with NordVPN and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to securely stream Hulu with CyberGhost
In a rush to stream Hulu abroad? With the right VPN, it is extremely easy to access Hulu on vacation. To help you out, we have included those steps below:
- Start by signing up for CyberGhost.
- Download and install the VPN for your device. CyberGhost has desktop and mobile apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS).
- Connect to one of CyberGhost’s VPN servers back home in the US. It purposefully labels the US servers that work with Hulu so that you can find the right server quickly.
- Sign in to Hulu and start streaming. Videos should load without any issues, but if not, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies. After clearing the cookies, refresh the Hulu webpage and it should work perfectly.
Does CyberGhost work with Hulu?
Yes. CyberGhost currently has 1300+ servers in 11 US cities. The provider optimizes some of those servers for streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and Prime Video.
To check that CyberGhost works with Hulu as advertised, we connected to servers that are labeled in the apps as optimized for Hulu. (It has servers that are clearly labeled as optimized for Hulu, optimized for Hulu on Android TV, and optimized for Hulu on Firestick.)
We found that the advertised servers work to access Hulu without issues at the time of writing. However, VPNs like CyberGhost are in a game of cat and mouse with Hulu. If Hulu manages to block one of CyberGhost’s servers, the VPN will rush to fix the problem. But it is possible that you will need to connect to a different US server location.
If you encounter any issues streaming Hulu on its purposefully labeled streaming servers, we recommend that you contact CyberGhost’s live chat support for help in pinpointing a US server that works. If you continue to have issues, you can turn to the tips included later in this guide.
It is worth noting that in 2023 CyberGhost is only the fourth-best VPN for Hulu. Thus, you may be better off with a VPN provider that is known to be even more effective for streaming Hulu abroad. We found NordVPN to be the most reliable.
Which are the best VPNs for streaming Hulu abroad?
Hulu is one of America’s most popular streaming platforms and can afford to devote a huge amount of resources to blocking VPNs. As a result, very few VPNs still work to watch Hulu abroad. Luckily, we have located a handful of VPNs that make it part of their core service to keep providing servers in America that work with Hulu:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for unblocking Hulu. Provides superfast NordLynx connections, world-class security features, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Highly reliable and inexpensive VPN that works superbly with Hulu and similar services. Connect as many devices as you like.
- ExpressVPN: Consistently unblocks Hulu from abroad. Offers fantastic speeds for streaming and a solid set of security features.
CyberGhost Hulu troubleshooting tips
If you are a happy CyberGhost subscriber who does not want to change onto a VPN that is better for watching Hulu, the good news is that most users can use the tips below to get the VPN working with Hulu:
- Try streaming Hulu directly from your browser, not by using the Hulu app.
- Clear the cookies, cache, and history in your Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browser. If you are currently using another browser, try switching to a fresh install of Firefox or Chrome instead.
- Try switching to a different US server location. CyberGhost has servers in 11 cities, in addition to servers that are clearly labeled for accessing Hulu. We recommend using the servers that are optimized for Hulu by navigating inside the app to settings > For streaming > Optimized for Hulu.
- If the Hulu-optimized servers are not currently working, try each of the 11 US server locations individually. Alternatively, try restarting the app and reconnecting to a server that is optimized for streaming to see if it gives you a different IP address that works.
- Remember that you will not be able to cast Hulu to a TV or Chromecast while using your VPN. If you want to stream on a smart TV that does not let you install the VPN directly, you can use our guides to set up a Windows or Mac computer as a VPN hotspot.
- Contact CyberGhost’s live chat support to find out if it is experiencing short-term accessibility issues, and to find out if they recommend a specific US server for streaming Hulu.
Can I watch Hulu with a free VPN instead?
No. Although there are some free VPNs available on the market, those services will not work to stream Hulu.
Hulu works hard to block IP address ranges that are known to belong to VPNs. Free VPNs do not have the time, expertise, or resources to get around these blocks. As a result, Hulu has already successfully blocked all the free VPNs we have ever tested.
Free VPNs are also incredibly oversubscribed. This causes huge amounts of server congestion and makes those free services much too slow to stream HD video content. This rules out using free VPNs for streaming, gaming, making video calls, and torrenting, for example.
Finally, we also recommend evading free VPNs for privacy and security reasons. Free VPNs often lie about the level of protection they provide. They have outdated (or no) encryption, severe app vulnerabilities, serious IP or DNS leaks, dodgy privacy policies, and even apps that contain spyware. This makes using those free VPNs a huge risk to your online health.
Will using a VPN for Hulu affect my streaming speeds?
Yes. Even the fastest VPNs must encrypt your traffic and route your traffic to a remote server location. Because of these services, VPNs will inevitably affect the internet connection speeds you pay your ISP for.
The good news is that world-class VPNs like CyberGhost invest in super-fast Tier 1 server networks with servers that have been optimized for streaming. These servers have a huge amount of throughput, unlimited bandwidth, and gigabit connections.
The only caveat is that if you are currently paying for very slow internet (whether that be a dial-up connection, cheap mobile plan, or a substandard broadband plan) a VPN could slow down your internet to the point where it affects your streaming speeds and causes buffering.
Most leading VPNs provide a money-back guarantee to allow you to test the VPN yourself. This allows you to check the VPN with your internet connections, which allows you to decide whether a VPN is going to be a worthwhile option for your particular circumstances.
Below, we have included a list of minimum connection speeds that we recommend for streaming:
- 3.0 Mbps recommended for SD streaming
- 5.0 Mbps recommended for HD streaming
- 25 Mbps recommended for Ultra HD streaming
What shows can I watch abroad on Hulu with a VPN?
Below, we have included some of the best shows that are available on Hulu. You can easily stream these shows while on vacation by using a recommended VPN for Hulu from this guide.
- The Great
- Only Murders in the Building
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- Nine Perfect Strangers
- Little Fires Everywhere
- Vacation Friends
- Solar Opposites
- This Way Up
- Blood Moon
- Good Boy
- Dexter: New Blood
- Bob’s Burgers
- Family Guy
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
CyberGhost and Hulu FAQs
Does CyberGhost have a kill switch?
Yes. CyberGhost has an automatic kill switch in its desktop and mobile apps. It includes this internet kill-switch as a privacy and security measure. It works by cutting your internet connection completely should the VPN connection drop out.
It ensures that you never accidentally leak any unprotected traffic outside of the VPN tunnel. This prevents your ISP, local network providers, government snoops, hackers, and other eavesdroppers from intercepting your traffic in an unprotected state.
It also prevents websites and online services from even being able to detect your real IP address, should the VPN connection unexpectedly drop out. This prevents you from potentially being flagged as a VPN because of unexpected activity on your Hulu account (a rapid, instant change of location).
How many devices can I use with CyberGhost?
CyberGhost has apps for all popular platforms and devices. This includes apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux. Those apps can be installed and used on up to 7 devices simultaneously.
As a result, you can easily use the VPN both at home and while out and about on mobile data or connected to public wi-fi. This is even enough connections to share the VPN with family members if you need to.
CyberGhost is also compatible with a choice of VPN-compatible routers. This allows you to protect every single device in your home with the VPN connection. As a result, your family will not need to remember to connect to the VPN on their individual devices.
Does CyberGhost keep logs?
No. CyberGhost has a watertight no-logs policy. This ensures that the VPN never retains any connection or usage logs that could be analyzed at a later date. This no logs policy means that the VPN can never comply with government warrants that ask it to provide information about its users’ activities. It also means that the VPN, under no circumstances, uses information about what you do online to create a revenue stream.
Why am I experiencing issues using CyberGhost with Hulu?
CyberGhost is one of the few VPNs that have US servers that are optimized for streaming Hulu. Despite this, it is possible that Hulu could spot and block its Hulu servers. Under these circumstances, CyberGhost could temporarily lose access to Hulu on those servers. Alternatively, it is possible that the cookies and cache lodged in your browser are giving away your location. We have explained how to fix both these issues earlier in this guide.
How do I turn off CyberGhost?
If you want to turn off CyberGhost and continue using your internet as usual, all you need to do is disconnect. To do so, open the app and click the disconnect button. Following that, you can also opt to exit the VPN if you want to.
If the app has frozen (potentially also cutting your internet because of the automatic kill-switch), you can opt to exit the VPN from your task manager. Following that, restart the VPN and disable the kill-switch to regain access to your internet without the VPN.