Imagine being abroad, eager to place a bet on Betfair, only to be met with the dreaded message, “You are not permitted to register with Betfair from the country you are in.” Sound familiar? The truth is, while Betfair offers a plethora of betting opportunities, it’s not accessible everywhere. After countless hours of research and rigorous testing, we’ve uncovered the most foolproof way to sidestep this hindrance: by using a VPN for Betfair.
A VPN does more than assign you a new IP address. Connecting to a server in the UK disguises your actual location. But there’s more. Every online move you make with VPNs is concealed in a secure, encrypted tunnel. This doesn’t just grant you access, but it also shields your activity. This makes eavesdroppers’ tasks nearly impossible, even if that eavesdropper is your own ISP.
Don’t yet have a VPN for accessing Betfair from abroad? Below, you’ll find reviews of the best VPNs for this. First, here’s a quick rundown of them all in case you need to make a quick decision.
Here are the best VPNs for accessing Betfair from abroad:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for accessing Betfair from abroad. Hundreds of fast UK servers. Also works well with UK streaming platforms. 24/7 support.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Betfair.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN for Betfair. Access Betfair and over 30 Netflix libraries. Unlimited simultaneous connections and MultiHop for extra security.
- ExpressVPN: Consistent unblocker of geo-restricted content, Betfair included. Unlimited bandwidth and very strong security. Quality customer support, 24/7.
- CyberGhost: Approaching 10,000 servers (800+ in the UK for unblocking Betfair). Very good server speeds and strong security with high-end encryption.
- IPVanish: Growing network of servers and fast enough for live sports streaming. Secures your Betfair activity with encryption. Unlimited connections.
- PrivateVPN: Works with Betfair as well as streaming platforms such as BBC iPlayer. Good speeds and very user-friendly apps. Free remote help available.
- Atlas VPN: Provides servers in dozens of countries and, aside from Betfair, works well with Netflix. Lots of security features including a malware blocker.
How to access Betfair from abroad
Here’s how to access Betfair from anywhere:
- Sign up with a VPN that unblocks Betfair. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Check it’s legal to use Betfair in the country you are traveling in.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in a country where Betfair is unblocked.
- Go to Betfair and login to your account.
- You should now be able to place bets! If you’re still encountering restrictions, try clearing your browser’s cookies.
Anyone looking to access Betfair with a VPN should ensure they only do so if they are a resident of a country where accessing Betfair is legal. Using a VPN to access Betfair should not be considered a workaround for the purposes of illegal online gambling.
How we choose the best Betfair VPNs
There are multiple factors to take into consideration when selecting the best VPNs for accessing Betfair from abroad. When testing VPNs, we looked for them to meet all of the following criteria:
- Servers in the UK that work with Betfair
- Fast server speeds for live sports streaming
- Secures your online activity with encryption
- Protects privacy with a strict no-logs policy
- Live chat and email support (preferably 24/7)
- Money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Betfair with no restrictions for a month. As such, it's a great choice for securely accessing your Betfair account regardless of location.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for accessing Betfair from abroad
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Betfair:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice VPN accessing Betfair from abroad. It has hundreds of UK servers that work with Betfair. This is just a small part of its network of almost 6,000 servers in 60 countries however. As such, you can also use NordVPN to access plenty of other region-locked websites and services. This includes streaming platforms such as Netflix. NordVPN is also very fast and offers unlimited bandwidth.
With NordVPN, you can connect to specialty servers, be it those optimized for P2P, or Double VPN for two layers of encryption. Your online activity, including any online betting, is secured with high-end encryption. There’s also a kill switch feature as well as protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks. NordVPN doesn’t keep any identifying logs of its users and its service includes 24-hour live chat and email support.
Secure up to six devices simultaneously via the NordVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Note that NordVPN also has browser extensions for Chrome, FireFox, and Edge. Use with routers requires manual setup.
- Hundreds of servers in the UK for accessing Betfair
- Very good server speeds allows for lag-free streaming
- Also works well with popular streaming services
- Specialty servers available including P2P and Double VPN
- Doesn’t keep identifying logs of users
- Provides 24-hour support via live chat and email
- Expensive if you only want a single month subscription
BEST VPN FOR BETFAIR:NordVPN is our #1 choice. It has over 400 UK servers for accessing Betfair from overseas. Fast server speeds for streaming the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Specialty servers including P2P. You can try NordVPN risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Surfshark provides servers (some 3,000+ in all) in 100 countries, the UK included. Not only can you use it to securely access your Betfair account from anywhere, you can also use it with some 30 different Netflix libraries. Surfshark is one of the fastest VPNs you can use. Whether you’re watching the sporting event you’ve placed a bet on or your favorite TV show, you can streaming that’s free from lag.
Want to be able to access your Betfair account from multiple devices such as your laptop, tablet, and phone? Surfshark allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account. All of your connections will be secured with military-grade encryption as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection. A kill switch is available via all of Surfshark’s apps. This is a no-logs VPN which also offers MultiHop servers and a malware blocker.
Surfshark has apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Browse extensions are offered for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. You can also manually install Surfshark on compatible wifi routers.
- Servers in 100 countries including the UK
- Works with Betfair and over 30 different Netflix libraries
- High-speed connections for streaming
- Security includes MultiHop servers
- Connect all of your devices at once
- Some features are only available in more expensive subscription tiers
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is fast, works with Betfair (and many Netflix libraries), and provides great value for money. Over 3,000 servers in 100 countries. Unlimited simultaneous connections and MultiHop servers. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN remains one of the most reliable VPNs you can using for bypassing content blocks. Betfair poses little problem, nor do streaming services such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, or ITVX. ExpressVPN has long had an impressive network of 3,000+ servers. However, this has recently expanded to cover over 100 countries. Unlimited bandwidth makes this VPN highly suitable for streaming and torrenting.
ExpressVPN allows up to eight simultaneous connections per account and has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions are available, as is custom firmware for use with routers.
- Very reliable unblocker of geo-restricted content, Betfair included
- Over 3,000 servers available in 100 countries
- Unlimited bandwidth makes it ideal for streaming and torrenting
- Quality customer support available around the clock
- Security includes military-grade encryption
- One of the more expensive VPNs on the market
RELIABLE UNBLOCKER:ExpressVPN can bypass a wide range of geographic restrictions. This includes Betfair and UK streaming platforms such as Sky Go. Unlimited bandwidth and secure with encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has by far the largest server network of any VPN on this list. Its server count is approaching 10,000 and this covers 100 countries in all. When it comes to UK servers for accessing Betfair from abroad, it has more than 800 servers for you to choose from. We recorded an average download speed of 296 Mbps when using CyberGhost. As such, this VPN service is ideal for live sports streaming.
This is a highly secure service with strong encryption, DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch feature. Notably, CyberGhost operates a no-logs policy so your information stays private. There’s even a Windows security suite which includes an antivirus. You’ll be able to use CyberGhost to secure up to seven of your devices at the same time. If you have any questions, live chat support is available 24/7.
Access Betfair from overseas via CyberGhost apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. An Amazon Fire TV app is also available, as are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Manual configuration is required to use this VPN with routers.
- More than 800 UK servers for accessing Betfair
- Very good speeds for live streaming sport
- Plenty of security features such as a Windows antivirus
- Connect up to seven of your devices simultaneously
- Live chat and email support around the clock
- Unable to bypass restrictions in China
VAST SERVER NETWORK:CyberGhost has nearly 10,000 servers in 100 countries. This includes 800 UK servers for accessing Betfair. High-speed connections and strong security with a Windows antivirus. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a VPN that doesn’t impose a limit on the number of devices you can connect at once. As such, you can use it to access Betfair via all of your desktop and mobile devices. This VPN has recently expanded its server network. The server count now stands at over 2,000 and UK servers can be found in the cities of Birmingham, Glasgow, London, and Manchester.
Aside from being one of the fastest VPNs for streaming, IPVanish is a secure service with high-end encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. It also has a zero-logs policy which means that information such as your IP address and browsing data are kept private. While IPVanish is quick and easy to use, live chat and email support is available around the clock should you require any assistance.
IPVanish has apps for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS). It also has an app for Amazon Fire TV. IPVanish provides manual setup instructions for use with Linux and routers.
- Connect all of your devices at the same time
- Servers in multiple UK cities for securely accessing Betfair
- Makes our list of the fastest VPNs on the market
- High level of security which includes military-grade encryption
- Headquartered in the US which is a Five Eyes member
- No anonymous payment options
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish is more than fast enough for live sports streaming. Works with Betfair and even Netflix US. Lets you connect all of your devices at once. Secure with a zero-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network of just over 200 servers but these servers are located in more than 60 countries. You can easily get a UK IP address with PrivateVPN. It has UK servers in London and Manchester. We’re particularly impressed with PrivateVPN’s unblocking ability. It makes light work of Betfair as well as streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
This VPN service provides strong performance thanks to its fast, unthrottled connections. It’s also highly secure, as evidenced by its use of 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Another thing we like about PrivateVPN is that it doesn’t keep any logs (not even connection logs). This is a very beginner-friendly service with quality customer support and even free remote help.
You can use PrivateVPN via its apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. It’s also compatible with Linux and select wifi routers although this requires manual setup.
- Strong unblocking – access Betfair and popular streaming platforms
- Lag-free streaming thanks to fast servers and unlimited bandwidth
- True no-logs policy – doesn’t even keep connection logs
- Free remote help and installation
- Only just over 200 servers available
- Live chat isn’t available 24 hours a day
BYPASS BLOCKS:PrivateVPN is an excellent unblocker of content, be it Betfair or streaming services like Netflix and Now TV. Absolutely no bandwidth throttling. Can be used on 10 devices simultaneously. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN only launched in January 2020 but has already established a reputation for being a consistent unblocker of online content. We used it to securely access Betfair and we’ve also found it works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more. Averaging 270 Mbps in our latest speed tests, Atlas VPN is more than fast enough for live sports streaming, be it in 1080p HD or even 4K resolution.
With just one Atlas VPN account, you can connect all of your devices at the same time. There are plenty of security features to help secure your online activities, including when you place bets. Aside from 256-bit AES encryption, you can benefit from DNS leak protection, a kill switch, MultiHop servers, and even a malware blocker. Atlas VPN doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user.
Atlas VPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide any support for routers as yet.
- Works with betting sites (Betfair) and streaming services (Netflix)
- High-speed servers allow for 1080p and even 4K streaming
- Security includes MultiHop servers and a malware blocker
- No limit to the number of devices you can connect at once
- Doesn’t offer browse extensions
- No support for routers
STRONG ALL-ROUNDER:Atlas VPN is particularly fast and a strong unblocker of content. You’ll have little issue accessing Betfair or even Netflix. Secure an unlimited number of devices at once. Packed with security features. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Why do people use a VPN for sports betting abroad?
Betfair hosts over 4 million users, 1.1 million active users, and around $483 million (GBP $393 million) in revenue in 2014. This easily makes Betfair a major international gambling hub, particularly given the website is legal in many different countries. Customers are regularly logging in and placing bets from over 46 countries. This includes one U.S. state (New Jersey) and Australia.
As gambling has always been a bit of a hot topic, and more so for online gambling, many countries have banned Betfair outright and other websites like it. In some countries, such as Canada, gambling, and even online gambling may be legal, but gambling through offshore websites like Betfair is not. For Canadians in particular, this means an inability to connect to websites that offer online gambling but have no physical address within the country. This is one of several reasons why Betfair, which once operated in Canada, closed up shop back in 2014.
In most U.S. states, online gambling is illegal, and even where it is permitted, many potential online gamblers face roadblocks from credit card companies and banks. A law exists that prohibits banks from processing payments used for illegal online betting. So as to avoid getting in trouble, most banks reject such payments. In the case of New Jersey, where online gambling is legal, many customers find their payments are still not processed, although a majority do now go through for users in those locales.
In several cases, such as in Portugal, Betfair is not illegal due to an issue with online gambling bans, but on acquiring the proper licenses. These licenses can often be difficult to obtain, or more costly than what may be worth the expense to the company. Betfair must balance its cost-benefit for each individual country, and in some cases, the market for online gambling just isn’t there. As for Portugal, Betfair is currently in the process of applying for a license there. Find out where Betfair is legal and where it’s banned at the bottom of this article.
Nevertheless, Betfair remains vastly popular among many would-be gamblers across the world, including those who live in countries where using Betfair is either outright banned, or sitting within the legal gray area. Since Betfair only allows users to connect to their service after determining if the user’s IP address comes from a legally-accepted country, Betfair users, like many internet users, generally find a workaround. That workaround exists with VPNs.
Laws and regulations change so please check local legislation to ensure you stay on the right side of the law.
How to use Betfair in the US
While researching how to connect to Betfair through a VPN, we discovered a few tidbits for anyone connecting while in the U.S. (and conceivably in Canada):
- Even connecting to a New Jersey-based server may not let you into Betfair’s website. Alongside connecting to Betfair through NordVPN, we tried connecting to a New Jersey VPN server using IPVanish. While the server connection was just fine, we were still rejected by Betfair’s website. Betfair’s website will still reject U.S. and Canadian IP addresses, even when you’re connected to a VPN.
- We discovered that this is because Betfair has a separate website for its U.S. operations, Betfair CASINO. This website will work even without a U.S. IP address, although it may not be what you’re looking for. Betfair CASINO not only requires an account separate from the regular Betfair website, but it also does not offer the same betting options.
- If you’re a U.S. citizen and desire to use Betfair in the U.S., you must be a New Jersey resident or be in New Jersey at the time you are using Betfair. Betfair CASINO will require you to install a location detector onto your browser to verify you are in New Jersey. Despite being legal to access Betfair while physically located in New Jersey, it is still illegal to do so while outside of New Jersey.
How to download the Betfair App from abroad
Much like the website, if you’re trying to access Betfair from abroad through the mobile app, you’ll likely get blocked in the process. Betfair is only available in a handful of countries. Where it’s not available, the service implements geographic content blocking methods, including blocking access to its mobile app from anyone outside the approved region.
You have two options if you want to download and access the Betfair app from abroad:
1. Install the app in your home country before traveling, then use a VPN
Plan to travel outside of your home country where Betfair is available, to one where it’s unavailable? Make sure to install the Betfair app on your devices before you leave. Once you’ve reached your destination, use a VPN like NordVPN to still ensure you can still access your Betfair account.
You can even test to make sure that a VPN works with your Betfair app before you leave. If in the UK, for example, just connect to a NordVPN server in the UK on your device. Then, load your Betfair app. If you can still log in to your account and interact with Betfair’s services, you’re good to go.
2. Sideload the APK file (Android only)
Betfair appears to have recognized this need and made this process pretty simple for Android users. You don’t even need to change your location in Google Play.
- Just download the Betfair app APK file from Betfair’s website. Make sure to download the file from your Android device, otherwise, just email it to yourself or transfer the file to your Android from your PC.
- From your Android device settings, go to App and then select the top-right menu icon (three vertical dots). From there, tap Special access
- Next, select Install unknown apps
- Find the Betfair APK, then tap it and select Allow from this source
You’re set! Note that you’ll still need an active Betfair account and a VPN to access Betfair’s services if you’re in a country where Betfair is not currently available.
3. Change your device location to a country where the Betfair app is available
If you didn’t install the Betfair app before you left your home country and want to install it from the app store, you can still access the app by changing your location in your device settings.
For Android users, follow the steps we’ve provided in our guide on how to use a VPN to change your country in the Google Play Store.
Apple provides information on how to do this if you’re an iOS user, however, you’ll still need a VPN if you’re trying to spoof your location. And similarly to Android, you’ll need a payment method associated with the country you’re trying to change your location to.
Betfair VPN not working? Here’s what to do
While most of our recommended VPNs work flawlessly on first attempts for most users, some may experience issues. Here are a few tips that resolve most issues:
- If you’re receiving an error message on Betfair after connecting to a VPN server, clear your cookies and browser cache, then refresh the page and try again.
- Slow connection speeds can often be resolved by connecting to a server nearest to your physical location.
- Switch browsers if Betfair games aren’t displaying as expected.
- Reach out to your VPN support team if you’re still experiencing issues, as they may be able to assist further.
FAQs about watching Betfair with a VPN
Where is Betfair legal?
Online gambling laws are perhaps some of the most overly complicated laws you will find. Each country has its own legal situation, and even places where online gambling is legal, the situation may be less than black and white. Laws are always changing as well, making it sometimes difficult to keep up with the legal situation on this topic.
For the sake of accuracy, we reached out to Betfair directly regarding which countries still ban their service. Below you’ll find a list of where Betfair is legal, and where it’s still blocked. Not included on either list are “gray area” countries where no law exists permitting or denying the right to use Betfair or other online gambling sites.
Countries in which Betfair is legal:
- Czech Republic
- New Jersey
Countries in which Betfair is blocked:
- American Samoa
- Brunei Darussalam
- France (including French Territories)
- Hong Kong
- Islamic Republic of Iran
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- Puerto Rico
- South Africa
- The Syrian Arab Republic
- USA (excluding New Jersey)
- Virgin Islands (USA)
*Note on illegal/legal countries: As mentioned, gambling laws change regularly, as well as Betfair’s own licensing agreements in different countries. This list is subject to change at any time. Please be sure to check the rules in your own country on a regular basis to ensure you’re compliant with local laws. If you do find any discrepancies in our list, please let us know!
In which US states is Betfair legal?
Sports betting isn’t legal in all US states at the time of writing, but states are legalizing it state-by-state. Because of this, Betfair is only deemed legal in a handful of states. Some of the states in the US where Betfair is currently legal include:
- New Jersey
- West Virginia
- New Mexico
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- North Carolina
Gambling via Betfair in states like new Mexico and Oregon is currently limited, except for a state lottery.
Is using a VPN against Betfair’s terms and conditions?
Betfair’s Terms and Conditions state that it deems suspicious betting to include “where we reasonably believe that bets have been placed from a location or device other than the location or device which you claim to have used to place a bet”. This would suggest that it is against Betfair’s terms and conditions to place bets while connected to a VPN server in a location that does not match your physical location.
The above does not guarantee that Betfair will act upon this but it does reserve the right to do so as a result. It’s also unlikely to be an issue if you’re connected to a VPN server if that server matches your current location.
Will I still have access to the same betting markets using a VPN?
The idea behind a VPN is that you can connect to a server in your home country, change your IP address, and spoof your location. This allows you to access geo-restricted websites and services (such as Betfair) as normal regardless of your physical location.
If a VPN works with Betfair as it should, you’ll be able to access the same betting markets as usual. For example, if you’re from the UK and travel abroad on holiday, you should still be able to access the UK betting markets, providing you connect to a server in the UK and get a UK IP address.
Do VPNs work with other betting sites?
Yes. When you connect to a VPN server you appear to be physically located in the country you selected. This means you can get a valid IP address in that region to use any local betting sites and online casinos that are usually unavailable outside of the licensed region.
That means you can access US betting sites abroad, or in states where gambling is restricted. It also means that you can use a VPN to access international betting sites in any country that you require (such as to place a bet in your own country while on vacation).
See also: The best VPN for Bet365