Netflix uses your IP address to determine the library of content it can serve. So if you try to log in to Netflix from Brazil, you’ll get a smaller list of movies and shows. In order to watch Netflix USA in Brazil, you’ll want to connect to a VPN first.
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) encrypt all the traffic flowing to and from your device and route it via an intermediary server. So if you connect to a US server while sitting in Brazil, your Brazilian IP address will be replaced with an American one.
Theoretically, this will give you all you need to access Netflix. But it isn’t that simple. The reality of the situation is that Netflix has been on an active warpath against VPN providers — meaning only a select few VPN services can effectively evade its filters. We’ll go into more detail below, but here’s a quick overview of our top six picks to watch Netflix USA in Brazil.
Best VPNs for watching Netflix USA in Brazil
- ExpressVPN: Our top choice to stream Netflix from Brazil. Super-fast servers and uncrackable encryption mean it takes a few seconds to get online and start viewing your favorite shows.
- NordVPN: Fantastic budget option. Offers optimized servers and a proven ability to unblock US Netflix.
- CyberGhost: Well-designed apps and intuitive user experience mean it’s an ideal choice for novice users. Incredibly fast speeds and firm security features.
- IPVanish: Top-tier encryption and cloaking technology mean Netflix filters can’t detect that you’re using a VPN to stream the service.
- Surfshark: Up-and-coming service that’s expanding its server base and ships with an unlimited number of simultaneous devices.
- PrivateVPN: Well known for its speed and unblocking capabilities. Smaller server network, but will get the job done.
How to watch Netflix USA in Brazil with a VPN
Here are some basic instructions on how to unblock Netflix USA from Brazil with a VPN, additional steps can be found near the end of this article in case you get stuck and can’t proceed.
Follow these steps when you’re just getting started:
- Sign up for a VPN subscription from one of the providers we recommend above (our top choice is ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app onto your preferred device. Use only official app marketplaces for this purpose.
- Open the VPN app and select a server in the US. Don’t assume all servers automatically unblock Netflix — most providers have specific ones for the purpose. Ask customer support for the correct one or find it on the provider’s website.
- Connect to the recommended Netflix server.
- Congratulations! Now all you have to do is log on to Netflix and start watching.
As we mentioned earlier, obtaining a US IP address doesn’t guarantee you’ll be able to stream Netflix. Our selection of the best VPNs to stream American Netflix in Brazil is based on the following criteria:
Criteria for selecting the Best VPNs to stream American Netflix
- Can unblock Netflix US and/or UK, as well as other streaming services
- Offers fast and reliable speeds for high quality, uninterrupted streaming
- Uses strong security and keeps no logs
- Provides prompt, competent customer support
- Offers a money-back guarantee
- Has support for simultaneous connections
Best VPNs to watch Netflix USA in Brazil
ExpressVPN is a reliable bet to unblock American Netflix in Brazil. It’s also proven to help access Netflix Canada, Netflix UK, and more country-specific versions. Other than Netflix, this provider can help you stream Amazon Prime Video, HBO, Hulu, and more.
An important thing to note here is that not all US servers support Netflix, but a customer support representative will be able to help you find the right one to connect to. The support team is available 24/7 and representatives are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.
If you’re trying to stream Netflix USA on a device that doesn’t have native VPN support, such as a smart TV or Chromecast, then you can install ExpressVPN’s proprietary router firmware or buy a pre-configured ExpressVPN router. All devices connected to said router will automatically benefit from a VPN-enabled wifi network.
ExpressVPN uses the hardiest encryption protocols in the business, with 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, leak protection, and an internet kill switch. It doesn’t store any personally identifiable information and speeds are incredibly quick.
You’ll find apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux. One account allows for five devices to connect at the same time.
- Optimized for high-speed connections
- Solid privacy and security
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Well-designed mobile and desktop apps
- Slightly more expensive than other providers
BEST VPN FOR NETFLIX USA:ExpressVPN is a favorite with VPN, streaming, and privacy enthusiasts due to a vast network of servers and blazing fast speeds. It’s simply one of the best VPNs out there. Try it risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
NordVPN has been tested to unblock Netflix from lots of places around the world, giving you access to the American library of content. On its site, you’ll find a list of appropriate servers to use to unblock Netflix and you can always check with live support if you run into any problems.
NordVPN has a server network of over 5,000 (the highest on our list) with lots of options in the US. Other than Netflix, this provider can help you access Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
All connections are protected with 256-bit AES encryption, an internet kill switch, and automatic wifi protection. It stores no identifying logs and its registration in Panama means it’s not required by law to retain customer information.
One account allows for six devices to connect at the same time and apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-locked sites
- Top-notch security and privacy protection
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Unparalleled network – over 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- The desktop app can be awkward to use, needs updating
SUPERIOR BUDGET OPTION:NordVPN is a top-notch service and ships at a price that’s hard to beat. With almost 2,000 servers in the US, you’ll be able to stream American Netflix easily. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Save 75% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
CyberGhost consistently delivers some of the fastest speeds we’ve tested making it a safe bet to access Netflix USA in Brazil. With more than 4,600 servers in 61 countries, including almost 1,000 in the US alone, you’ll definitely find a fast, stable connection to stream your favorite content.
CyberGhost makes use of 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol, deploys a strict ‘no-logs’ policy, includes an internet kill switch, and offers protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. There’s very little chance of your connection ever leaking outside the encrypted tunnel, meaning you can spend hours streaming Black Mirror.
Its fast speeds mean streaming with CyberGhost is a buffer and lag-free experience. With unlimited bandwidth and traffic on offer, you don’t have to worry about exceeding any data caps.
Apps are included for all major platforms — Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows as well as browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. One account allows for seven devices to connect concurrently.
- Streams HD video seamlessly
- Operates a network of more than 3,787 servers in 60 countries
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Some of the fastest servers we’ve tested
- Not suitable for those that need control of advanced features
SECURE AND FAST:CyberGhost doesn’t store any logs and is very easy to set up. Designed for the novice user, its sophisticated encryption and quick speeds will unblock Netflix easily. Try it with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our full CyberGhost review.
Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
IPVanish is based in the US and its distinctive feature is that it personally controls and manages all the servers in its network rather than outsourcing to a third-party operator. As a result, it’s able to offer superior security, support, and speed. All traffic is protected by military-grade encryption and includes additional features like perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch (on the desktop app), and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks.
With 600 servers housed in America, IPVanish is a safe choice to access US Netflix in Brazil. Customer service is available around the clock and will assist you in finding the best server for streaming geo-restricted media.
Another great feature is that this provider includes support for 10 simultaneous connections so you can use one device to stream Netflix US and others for different purposes.
Apps are available for all the major platforms including Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS.
- Unblocks Netflix US
- Use up to ten devices simultaneously
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Customer support is a little slow
ENCRYPTED CONNECTION:IPVanish is suitable for both the beginner and advanced user. With 10 simultaneous connections, it’s a good choice for a range of purposes including streaming geo-restricted media. Try it with a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review
Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year planGET DEAL
Surfshark is a new entrant to the VPN world but it’s doing a pretty good job of competing with more established providers.
With 850 servers spread across the world, including lots of options in the US, this service packs a punch when it comes to speed, security, customer support, and ability to unblock streaming media. It’s proven to enable access to both Netflix USA and UK, along with other platforms like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
All traffic is safeguarded with 256-bit AES encryption along with perfect forward secrecy, an internet kill switch, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks.
As a new provider, there are some enticing deals on offer. For example, current users can connect an unlimited number of devices with one account. While this may not last forever, there’s a possibility that existing users could be grandfathered in if they stick with the provider.
Speeds are consistent and customer support is friendly and efficient. Apps are included for iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Android.
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Unlimited devices
- The server network is relatively small compared to many competitors
NO FUSS:Surfshark is on a quest to compete with the heavyweights. Its unblocking capabilities are impressive and speeds are consistent. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
PrivateVPN could very well take the mantle of the best-suited VPN for streaming and unblocking purposes. It’s able to bypass restrictions on US Netflix, as well as the country libraries for Spain, Japan, France, Italy, and more. Other services it works with are Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
The only letdown is that it offers about a hundred servers in total around the world, with the US hosting four. But all of these are optimized for speed so you don’t have to worry about peak server times or overload. The ones designed for streaming are clearly labeled inside the app but customer support can assist you if you have any issues.
Security features include 256-bit AES encryption along with perfect forward secrecy, DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, and an internet kill switch for Windows. No user-identifying logs are stored.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. A single account allows for up to five devices to connect at the same time.
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Speeds are good enough for high-quality streaming
- A small number of servers to choose from
- Support staff only operate during European business hours
EXCELLENT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN will enable buffer-free streaming of American Netflix in Brazil. It has friendly customer support and resolute encryption. Try it with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Can I use a free VPN to stream Netflix USA from Brazil?
There’s an extremely low likelihood of obtaining a reliable connection to stream Netflix US by using a free VPN. Netflix has access to top-tier VPN detection technology and most paid providers have trouble evading it, so a free service, using inferior cloaking technology, is at a massive disadvantage.
Most free VPNs don’t provide a consistent user experience. They ship with a limited choice of servers, data caps, and non-existent customer support, and regularly engage in bandwidth throttling. Expect wait times to connect to a server during peak hours, as well as frequent pop-up advertisements.
To make things worse, lots of free VPN services willingly track user data in order to sell to third-party advertisers. Some come bundled with malware, so you’re setting yourself up for a potential headache in the future. Free VPNs actually run counter to the privacy and security ideals that VPNs ought to provide. We don’t recommend you use them.
If you’re strapped for cash, then a couple of our recommended providers have cheap, long-term deals. Plus you can always avail the free trial period (CyberGhost has one that runs for six weeks) if you need a provider for a short period of time. But don’t compromise your privacy and security on the web by opting for a free VPN.
Related: Best VPNs for Brazil
Can’t access Netflix with a VPN? Try these solutions
If you’ve logged on via one of our recommended VPNs but aren’t able to view your favorite content, try these steps:
- Check with your VPN’s customer support team that the server you’re connecting to is optimized for Netflix.
- Log out of all Google accounts, including your Chrome browser. Google caches IP addresses and it’s possible these location identifiers are the root of the problem.
- Disable your device’s GPS and all other location-based services. If you’ve allowed Netflix to see your location in the past, make sure to uncheck the box in your browser settings.
- Clear browser cookies, cache, and temporary files.
- Disable IPv6. This is mainly for Windows 10 users, but it might cause issues on other operating systems.
- Flush your DNS cache. To do that in Windows, open Command Prompt in administrator mode and enter the command: ipconfig /flushdns
- Change your device’s time zone to the country where you’re trying to watch Netflix.
- Disconnect from the VPN server, restart your device and then reconnect to the same server location to get a different IP address.
Why does Netflix have different content libraries?
Netflix relies heavily on its content partners to power the vast library of movies and television shows on offer. It negotiates separate licensing deals for each country or geographical region — that’s why some countries offer Friends while others don’t.
The same restrictions don’t apply for Netflix original productions like Stranger Things. Since Netflix owns all the rights for these productions, it’s free to circulate them to wherever it wants in the world.
To determine where you are in the world, Netflix tracks your device’s IP address. That’s a unique string of numbers that hones in on your approximate location. So if you log on to the internet in Brazil, you’re assigned a Brazilian IP address. Netflix uses this information to display country-specific content.
That’s why you need a VPN to enable unrestricted viewing. By connecting to a US server, it appears as if you’re accessing Netflix from within the United States. It doesn’t matter if your account was registered with a Brazilian credit card or payment method.
Netflix won’t block or blacklist your account if they detect VPN use (not all VPNs work with Netflix). They’ll politely ask you to switch it off in order to proceed. In case that does happen, you’ll probably see the following error message:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
Don’t worry, VPNs are legal in Brazil and other parts of the world. You’re not falling afoul of any laws by using them.
See also: Netflix statistics
- 1 How to watch Netflix USA in Brazil with a VPN
- 2 Best VPNs to watch Netflix USA in Brazil
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 5 2. NordVPN
- 6 Save 75% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 7 3. CyberGhost
- 8 Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year plan
- 9 4. IPVanish
- 10 Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year plan
- 11 5. Surfshark
- 12 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 13 6. PrivateVPN
- 14 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 15 Can I use a free VPN to stream Netflix USA from Brazil?
- 16 Can’t access Netflix with a VPN? Try these solutions
- 17 Why does Netflix have different content libraries?