NordVPN is one of the most popular VPN providers on the market. It’s also one of the best VPNs for Firestick thanks to its global network of servers, fast and unthrottled speeds, powerful unblocking of streaming services, and strong security. When it works well, it allows you to securely access your favorite streaming apps even if you’re traveling abroad. However, that doesn’t mean that everything works as it should all the time. Occasional issues might prevent you from streaming or accessing a region-locked streaming service with NordVPN.
In this post, we’ll go through all of the various possible causes of NordVPN not working with Firestick and take you step-by-step through the process of fixing them. We’ll also recommend a couple of the other best VPNs for Firestick in case you’d like to give them a try.
Why isn’t NordVPN working with Firestick?
There are multiple potential causes for NordVPN not working with Firestick. The good news is that the vast majority of issues are fixable. In fact, they’re relatively quick and easy to resolve in most cases.
NordVPN not working with Firestick? It’s probably for one of the following reasons:
- Server location: You’re not connected to a server in the appropriate location for the streaming service you’d like to access. For example, for Netflix US, you will need to connect to a US server to obtain an American IP address.
- Blacklisted IP: The IP address you’ve been assigned by NordVPN has been blacklisted by the streaming service in question.
- Cache issues: All streaming service apps create a cache which is saved on your Firestick’s storage. This in itself can cause occasional issues.
- VPN-incompatible: It may be that your Firestick simply doesn’t support VPN apps. This is the case for all first generation Firesticks.
How to fix NordVPN not working with Firestick
Check your location
You can see the location of the server to which you’re connected within the NordVPN app. The corresponding IP address is also visible. If you’d like to verify the IP address in question, you can do so on your Firestick by going to Settings > My Fire TV > About > Network. Your current IP address will be displayed on the right hand side of the screen.
Some streaming services are only available in one or two countries. For example, BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK, Hulu is only accessible in the US, and Stan is only streamable in Australia. In all of these cases, you must connect to a server within the appropriate country.
Clear app cache
When you download and install a streaming app on Firestick, the app creates a cache which is saved on your Firestick device. This is supposed to temporarily store data so that the app can launch faster and reload from where you last left off. It might include old location data that’s preventing you from streaming.
Data within the cache can become corrupted. Furthermore, caches can become bloated, causing performance issues that prevent apps from working properly. The solution is to clear the app cache to create space. You can do this with the NordVPN app as well as for the streaming app you’re trying to access.
Here’s how to clear your app cache on Firestick:
- Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications.
- Select the streaming app you’re trying to access.
- Click the Clear cache button.
We recommend that you then restart your Firestick device by going to Settings > Device > Restart > Restart your Fire Stick.
Failing the above, a fresh start is a good idea. This involves removing and then reinstalling the NordVPN app on your Firestick. If your current install does have any errors, these are likely to be erased.
Here’s how to reinstall NordVPN on Firestick:
- Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications.
- Select the NordVPN app from the list.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Reboot your device via Settings > Device > Restart.
- Find NordVPN by going to Apps> Categories > Utility (or search “NordVPN”). Select the yellow download button next to Get to download and install the app.
Try multiple servers
Don’t be afraid to try multiple VPN servers. Streaming services such as Netflix regularly blacklist IP addresses in an effort to prevent VPN use. You may well be able to find a NordVPN IP address that’s compatible by switching servers. If you’re still struggling to find one that works, it’s a good idea to contact NordVPN’s customer support to ask which server works best with the streaming platform in question.
How to sign in to Firestick with NordVPN
Not having any issues but just need to get NordVPN set up with your Firestick? Regardless of whether you use NordVPN or another of the best VPNs for Firestick such as Surfshark or ExpressVPN, the process of getting signed up and signed in is very similar.
Here’s how you can sign in to Amazon Firestick using NordVPN:
- Sign up with NordVPN which is the best VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick users.
- Download and install the NordVPN app on your Amazon Firestick via the Amazon Appstore.
- Open the NordVPN app and sign in before connecting to a server. You’ll be assigned a new IP address in the process.
- Go to the streaming service you’re trying to unblock. This should now be accessible without further restriction.
- If content is still blocked, try clearing your app cache. Connecting to a different server may also fix the issue. Otherwise, it’s worth contacting NordVPN’s support.
NordVPN with Firestick: FAQs
Are there any free VPNs that work with Firestick?
Not as many free VPNs offer dedicated Firestick apps. You have to sideload their app onto the Firestick, which is less user-friendly. Besides, free VPNs aren’t known for their unblocking ability. Even if you were to find one that works with Firestick, you’d still struggle to securely access the likes of Netflix, Disney+, and HBO Max. Worse still, free VPNs typically engage in bandwidth throttling so streaming would suffer from excessive lag and buffering anyway.
Performance issues aren’t the only reason you should avoid using a free VPN. There’s also some security risks, particularly if a free VPN doesn’t properly encrypt your data or if it keeps logs that it sells to third parties. In fact, UFO VPN claimed to be a zero logs VPN but kept detailed logs in plain text and without password security. When you have NordVPN offering a risk-free money-back guarantee, there’s just no need to use a free VPN.
How do Firestick apps know my location?
Each internet-connected device is assigned a unique numerical identifier known as an IP address. If your IP address shows that you’re in a country in which a particular Firestick app isn’t available, the content will be region-locked. This is usually to protect copyright and existing licensing agreements. Fortunately, you can change your IP address with the help of a VPN such as NordVPN.
You may need to change the country in which your Firestick is registered. To do so, visit Amazon on your desktop or mobile device and navigate to Accounts & Lists > Your content and devices > Preferences > Country/Region Settings > Change. You’ll then need to fill out the form, providing your new address.
Which streaming apps can I download on Firestick?
Thanks to using a VPN service, you can access even more streaming apps on your Firestick device. Here’s a list of some of the most popular:
- Amazon Prime Video
- BBC iPlayer
- HBO Max
- YouTube TV